Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This reminded me of exactly how shawn hirnbeck was kidnapped. On his own bike. Very sad.

I'm glad Jacob can finally come home and his family can give him a proper burial. Once an abduction is a week old we know there is little hope, but when it's over 20 years cold we all realize it's gonna take a miracle to ever resolve. This gives me a flicker of hope that more cold abductions will be solved. Brings to mind two cold cases I've followed for years- Julie Weflen & Laurie Partridge both abducted in my hometown of Spokane, Wa. Both missing well over 25 years. I'm not religious so therefore I do not pray, but my thoughts are with the Wetterling family as they have been so many times over the years.

Does it really matter if he killed Jacob by accident? No. He threatened all the other kids with death. Maybe Jacob pulled off his mask and saw his face so he decided to kill him. It doesn't matter. This held on to this terrible secret for years. How did he sleep at night? He tortured the family, the community, millions of people that thought about him all the time for 27 long painful years.

I wonder if you're spot on in that it played out just like it did with Jared except for two things that were radically different:
1. Jacob didn't come back alive
2. The attacks seemingly (presumably) stopped after Jacob was abducted

To me, this points to an accidental death. Maybe Jacob tried to exit the car and was fatally injured? Maybe Danny clobbered him over the head to subdue him and accidentally killed him?

Or perhaps he indeed meant to kill him and the pure notoriety of the case and spot on resemblance of the initial suspect drawing (that Jared helped to compose) spooked him into being a semi law abiding citizen (until the whole child *advertiser censored* indulgence?)

Argh. Still so many questions....

This case is the first I remember as a child and one of the first I looked into as an adult. When my son was born I was all over this again. Jacob and his family's plight was horrendous. Closure is such a flippant word. Even though Jacob has been brought home and HIS KILLER has admitted to killing him, his family is going through a fresh pain. One they never wanted to feel. They held out hope for Jacob's safe return. He is returned, but not how they wanted. While my son sleeps safely a room away, I am still in pain for this family and the HARD reality they are dealing with tonight.

Does it really matter if he killed Jacob by accident? No. He threatened all the other kids with death. Maybe Jacob pulled off his mask and saw his face so he decided to kill him. It doesn't matter. This held on to this terrible secret for years. How did he sleep at night? He tortured the family, the community, millions of people that thought about him all the time for 27 long painful years.

I wonder if you're spot on in that it played out just like it did with Jared except for two things that were radically different:
1. Jacob didn't come back alive
2. The attacks seemingly (presumably) stopped after Jacob was abducted

To me, this points to an accidental death. Maybe Jacob tried to exit the car and was fatally injured? Maybe Danny clobbered him over the head to subdue him and accidentally killed him?

Or perhaps he indeed meant to kill him and the pure notoriety of the case and spot on resemblance of the initial suspect drawing (that Jared helped to compose) spooked him into being a semi law abiding citizen (until the whole child *advertiser censored* indulgence?)

Argh. Still so many questions....

I assure you--- I'm not trying to gather up any sympathy for the ...I'm just trying to understand/rationalize what might be impossible: why he killed Jacob and what made him (presumably) stop the calculated molesting attacks on young boys after he killed Jacob and, as you point out- how he could keep it this quiet for almost 27 years w/so many looking for him (the perp)

Maybe he did quit his spree of abducting and molesting young boys. Or maybe this is just the beginning of his confessions. Which is mostly likely?

I have never heard a killer confess a murder without minimizing the murder. Never have I heard one that got away with it say they didn't kill more. It is very unlikely Jacob was the only victim of this sick sadistic excuse for a human being. Thank goodness they will be running his dna and checking out where he has traveled to search for all his victims. He knows he will spend the rest of his life in prison and so he gave them Jacob. This is the unearthing of a serial killer.
On the good side I never thought I would see this day. Jacob is found. His family has an answer. I was struck at how well the other children helped make the i.d. drawing of him.

Would it be useful to start a timeline of Heinrich now? Perhaps linking him to other cases? Just the fact that he's owned more cars than anyone I've ever heard of leads me to believe for each car...there may have been an abduction. He dumps the car, gets a new car. The 9 year old St. Joe boy who reported an attempted kidnapping a few months before Jacob gave a composite that was dead on for Heinrich..at the time in a light colored van.
This was YOUNG when he started. 26 when he abducted and murdered Jacob, 9 months before that we know he kidnapped and raped Jared. He was out of control..it didn't just start when he was 25. Any timeline would have to go back to when he was at minimum 16 years of age...capable of driving.

He did not stop with Jacob. No way. He was out of control. Abducting and raping and attempting to abduct (that we know for sure) THREE times within the space of a year (1989). That is a compulsion that I do not believe he could control.

Can you even imagine knowing you lived by this monster? He said e did not take videos of the neighbor children so the parents in his hood need not worry.

What kind of crazy talk is that?? He has to have justified the death of Jacob somehow. I am sure it was Jacob's fault in his mind.

After all, he is just a dirty old man.

We know he was not the brightest bulb, yet het got away with this for almost three decades.

So hard to,imagine that he stopped physically assaulting boys. Could it be possible? He will add to the knowledge base of molesters . If he stopped , that is a new kind, I think

Sadly, this reminds me of Joseph Duncan. He got away with his crimes for so long, spanning an incredible amount of time. In short YES!.... start a time line.... Once "JET" was caught, sleuths started to run a time line. That lead to a LOT of information!

I have never heard a killer confess a murder without minimizing the murder. Never have I heard one that got away with it say they didn't kill more. It is very unlikely Jacob was the only victim of this sick sadistic excuse for a human being. Thank goodness they will be running his dna and checking out where he has traveled to search for all his victims. He knows he will spend the rest of his life in prison and so he gave them Jacob. This is the unearthing of a serial killer.
On the good side I never thought I would see this day. Jacob is found. His family has an answer. I was struck at how well the other children helped make the i.d. drawing of him.

Interesting projection.

Under "normal" circumstances, I'd agree w/you 100%, but something about this and this case just seems different. I guess (more) time will tell. Ugh.

Also, I'd think they would've run his DNA in any related cases the instant they took him into custody under child *advertiser censored* charges and the DNA turned up positive as Jared's attacker. Assuming they ran it through a database at that time, then they didn't find any other matches...or they're leaving the public in the dark....

I've just lost all faith and trust in Law Enforcement regarding this case :( I know they worked hard and the goal was always to find what happened, but there were so many missteps imho

Interesting projection.

Under "normal" circumstances, I'd agree w/you 100%, but something about this and this case just seems different. I guess (more) time will tell. Ugh.

Also, I'd think they would've run his DNA in any related cases the instant they took him into custody under child *advertiser censored* charges and the DNA turned up positive as Jared's attacker. Assuming they ran it through a database at that time, then they didn't find any other matches...or they're leaving the public in the dark....

I've just lost all faith and trust in Law Enforcement regarding this case :( I know they worked hard and the goal was always to find what happened, but there were so many missteps imho

I am really curious as to what you think could have been done. They watched him for months and nothing.

If they kept watching him, that would be three officers at about $50,000 a year each. Do you think that would be possible? They did not have enough to bring him to trial.

Would it be useful to start a timeline of Heinrich now? Perhaps linking him to other cases? Just the fact that he's owned more cars than anyone I've ever heard of leads me to believe for each car...there may have been an abduction. He dumps the car, gets a new car. The 9 year old St. Joe boy who reported an attempted kidnapping a few months before Jacob gave a composite that was dead on for Heinrich..at the time in a light colored van.
This was YOUNG when he started. 26 when he abducted and murdered Jacob, 9 months before that we know he kidnapped and raped Jared. He was out of control..it didn't just start when he was 25. Any timeline would have to go back to when he was at minimum 16 years of age...capable of driving.

If anyone can research a location and timeline we can certainly look for any victims. This is a great idea and what is needed. Sereial killers like to cruise. So I would expect him to have been hunting for at least 100 miles away from home due to being an early suspect. Most likely it would be further. He definitely did not want to be caught and knew he was being watched. So I feel he wold have stalked his victims far away. He certainly would have changed his m.o. due to the publicity of Jacobs case. But the sexual murder of children would stay the same.

Does anyone know if this area was ever searched in all of these 27 years? Immediately after the abduction or some time after that? I guess the details will eventually come out which tell us if Jacob was placed here soon after his murder, if it is possible to tell.

I am really curious as to what you think could have been done. They watched him for months and nothing.

If they kept watching him, that would be three officers at about $50,000 a year each. Do you think that would be possible? They did not have enough to bring him to trial.

How about not forgetting about him for 25 years? Oops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offenders could stop their sexually violent behavior on their own if they wanted to.

False. Wanting to change is usually not enough to be able to change the patterns that lead to sexual offenses. To create the motivation to change, some offenders need a variety of treatment and corrective interventions, and for others learning how to make the change in their own behavioral cycle of abuse is more effective.
http://meganslaw.ca.gov/facts.htm

We hear about officers chasing down clues until after they are retired. If this case of a child abduction didn't stir up an interest I don't know what would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lybravyrgo