Remains found confirmed as Jacob Wetterling/Suspect led LE to Remains #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never able to confirm that church site as the site where JS was attacked, but I have reason to think it is accurate. I looked at the maps of the burial site to try to see if it could somehow be 'rehabilitated' as a planned site. Then I noticed the area to the east, about 1000 feet from the burial site. I noticed it because for an M.O. I would be looking not just at topography and vegetation, but sight lines and visibility. The spot I found is eerily similar to the church site. Distances to structures, angles to them, silos and lighting are all similar. In 1989 that road was apparently a dirt road and it was tree lined. Was Jacob's attack planned in almost exactly the way JS's had been? If so, what removed Jacob from that location 1000 feet to the west? I've attached a 1991 image and a current image of the area of interest. Not sure this means anything, but fwiw:

Current:
area_Near_176th_Av_E_Of_Burial_Annotated_005.jpg

1991:
area_Near_176th_Av_E_Of_Burial_003.png

There is a sketch of a guy who was approaching kids driving a tan van. It looks just like,him but those pics of,him with glasses with the drk frames are when he was in high school.

It is really weird because if someone put.put a bunch of pics and told me to match up,the ones that are him, I would not choose all of those pics postsd. He looks so totally different in some of them.

I think his mouth/chin look very similar in every photo. Very distinctive features. But the top half of his face looks slightly different in some of the photos.

Interesting. To add to some others who quoted Patty Wetterling, her comments (the CNN article) were made prior to the recovery of her sons remains - they were not directed at Heinrich after his arrest. I think the only person she ever confronted in person, though in a very controlled manner, was Dan Rassier, the farmer who was named as a POI.
But, as to whether to fight back or to instead appease an attacker, such as a rapist, their psychology may respond adversely to either one depending on their motivation. Some wish to cause fear, others are angered more by compliance. Psycopaths have no conscience, and will not respond to emotional appeals, so that is a lost cause.
Since there is no one solution - if any, given that a victim may be physically overpowered - then using your wits is the only resort. And maybe self-defense classes.
I would personally always suggest fighting for your life with everything you've got. The alternative is worse.

This is an excellent point, (and welcome to WS by the way!!).

The reason I really like this post is because I believe it more closely clarifies the way individuals like DH are and think when they commit these crimes. My opinion is that in DH's case, rather than being a sadist, he's a true psychopath. The pleadings and cries of his victims were unmoving to him simply because he is absolutely unable to connect to these emotions. These emotions meant nothing to him and as such it did not persuade him.

This would be in stark contrast to the sadist, who not only understands and manipulates emotional responses but enjoys the result.

A few more details:

DJH's car at time Jacob was abducted, the church site from above and driving along the road where JS was attacked.

daniel_James_Heinrich_Shoe_Prints_ETC_004.jpgmost_Probable_Location_JS_Assault_Area_45.456050_NEG_94.476344_002.jpgmost_Probable_Location_JS_Assault_Area_45.456050_NEG_94.476344_005.jpg

Not sure if this has been discussed but I know he was in the military. Where was he stationed? Was it overseas? The reason I ask is that he had to have been practicing his MO and I'd be interested to know if there were unsolved cases similar to this in other countries possibly. Where the chances of getting caught could be lessened.

There is a case in Missouri that is nearly identical to this.

There is a large National Guard base in St. Louis about 50 miles from where that happened. I would be suspect of ANYWHERE this guy went.

There is a large National Guard base in St. Louis about 50 miles from where that happened. I would be suspect of ANYWHERE this guy went.

Do they go to other Guard bases?

I haven't gotten a clear answer to this. But I'm not ready to rule anything out either. We don't know if he was friends with someone in the other guards and visited there or anything.

I'd like his military records and if at all possible I would want an exact accounting for where he was.

Moscow Mills, Missouri is only about an 8-9 hour drive from where DH was living at the time of Jacob's murder. That's no drive at all when you are obsessed with something.

Also, there are exceptions to every rule. One guard member can say, "No I don't think we would ever go there." but forget that this was 20+ years ago and who knows if they went there for some special, one time only training session or to help out. We just would never know unless we could access his records.

I'm too tired to go back and look for the information; who remembers what years did DH serve in the guards?

Totally agree with you. I'd want to know even short trips where he went and if any cases fit his MO. I don't think he stopped after JW. If anything, he felt the need to do it again and again. Chasing the dragon like a drug addict. But I do feel he learned from previous mistakes and honed his MO. More than likely putting distance between his attacks and his home so that fingers wouldn't be pointed immediately at him. Although he does seem to have a specific type of victim, I'm sure he couldn't always stick to the specific age range. I think, if anything, he went more on their size and ability to fight back or their naive nature and innocence. The reason I say that is I feel that older kids would be harder to control but easier to be labeled runaways. (Which always makes my stomach turn when that is the first thing that is said during a disappearance!) Does anyone have any statistics regarding how many disappearances are actual runaways? (Not including known runaway behavior.) Just curious on what the actual numbers are on that. It's always bothered me when I watch a crime show and the parents are told that, even though the parents say its out of their character. Most victims are killed within the first several hours. Those hours wasted on "waiting for the child to return home:banghead:." Sorry for the tangent but it just so bothers me to my core hearing the runaway theory always as the first thing they jump to.

That is an interesting slant on things .... sounds like some smart prosecutors pressured DH to cooperate . Otherwise he could spend the rest of his life subject to beatings from other prisoners in general population .... thus by confessing he (may) gain the advantage of being placed in a "safer" prison such as in Colorado.

It is rather ironic that the state (government) is also responsible for the well-being of murdering-perverts who are in custody and they have to provide "safe" facilities for them to be housed.

Speaking for myself , if I was the Wetterlings , I would go along with a "deal" like that in order to find out what happened to their son.

Jacob, though your life was so cruelly cut short, you have had a long lasting impact on so many lives. May you rest in peace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is an interesting slant on things .... sounds like some smart prosecutors pressured DH to cooperate . Otherwise he could spend the rest of his life subject to beatings from other prisoners in general population .... thus by confessing he (may) gain the advantage of being placed in a "safer" prison such as in Colorado.

It is rather ironic that the state (government) is also responsible for the well-being of murdering-perverts who are in custody and they have to provide "safe" facilities for them to be housed.

Speaking for myself , if I was the Wetterlings , I would go along with a "deal" like that in order to find out what happened to their son.

I agree with you. As a parent, Inwoild want to know my child's last moments, horrific as they may be,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding, what I have learned from my brother about national guard who was in the army, often they do convoys to other bases, and just as practice. But usually they are all stuck together, as in, no one leaving, etc. but this is what they do now, I'm not sure if it was different then.

Is it really a good idea to have all the pedophiles together though? I can see that going sideways in half a second, with them getting off on each other's crimes, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I say put them all together there. However; it's a one way ticket. Once you enter there you cannot come back out again. Period. ZERO TOLERANCE for child assault or *advertiser censored*. ZERO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marni