Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what she is not allowed to say in opening or closing arguments/statements (all are considered improper arguments and will be shut down by JSS):

1. Can't attack JM's "theory of case"
2. Can't accuse JM of trying to hide evidence or of preventing relevant evidence from being introduced.
3. Can't attack State expert witnesses
4. Can't ask jury to put themselves in her shoes
5. Can't refer to matters outside of evidence
6. Can't comment on lack of evidence due to failure to call a witness
7. Can't challenge JM to explain the absence of any witness

Note: all the cannots here are points she's tried to argue during her allocution or in post convinction interviews.

Thanks, Gryphon and geevee, but I don't understand how she can take a sentencing phase and turn it into an appeal for a retrial or appeal of her conviction. This is so whacked. JMO. And I don't expect you to try to digest all that is in your link to explain it to me. I'm just disgusted that she can still jerk everyone around like this. I'm with the poster who said just drop the DP and force her to live in obscurity for the rest of her life.

She can do anything JSKS allows her to get away with.

The scary thing is that so far, that's just about anything.

In fact, JSKS has even allowed the especially cruel lying torture murderess to brand Travis Alexander a pedophile.

Ok so I don't know all that much about this case but what blew my mind was that JA went to hook-up and sleep with another guy just hours after she slept with Travis and murdered him? Is that correct?

That's our little St. Jodi of Arias, alright.

I'm just waiting for the 1st delay and the 1st sidebar.

Jodi: Your Honor, may we approach?
JSS: Oh God, please don't.

I expect a lot will end up happening in chambers, or with the jury out of the court room, because Jodi will keep trying to argue significant procedural matters IN court with the jury present. Even if she's given a list of things she must do and things she must not do, there will certainly be a lot of issues that need to be decided "on the fly." (I'm sure Jodi will try to out-Nurmi Nurmi.) Two clear advantages for Jodi if this happens: more delays, and the jury will probably get to see "Mean Juan the Brain Scrambler" in action. This may turn into a war of attrition for the state of Arizona, and Jodi will avoid the death penalty simply because giving her LWOP is the fastest way to get rid of her, or at least making her somebody else's problem. As long as she's alive, though, I expect she'll keep finding ways to bug the crap out of people -- but she'll have to do it from a considerable distance and at a much lower volume. Godspeed, Jodi, Godspeed.

JA is an animal who is cornered. She does not care about any rules or people or things. She lives to manipulate and to make sure people know how smart she is.
This is a great description of Jodi even under the best of circumstances. The "cornered animal" aspect of her current situation may nudge her over the border between BPD and full-blown socio/psychopathy (I know that's not how it works, just liked the imagery), but I don't think she'll ever reveal her "true" true self. Part of being smarter than everyone else is the knowledge that she and she alone is aware of what she's holding back.

I expect a lot will end up happening in chambers, or with the jury out of the court room, because Jodi will keep trying to argue significant procedural matters IN court with the jury present. Even if she's given a list of things she must do and things she must not do, there will certainly be a lot of issues that need to be decided "on the fly." (I'm sure Jodi will try to out-Nurmi Nurmi.) Two clear advantages for Jodi if this happens: more delays, and the jury will probably get to see "Mean Juan the Brain Scrambler" in action. This may turn into a war of attrition for the state of Arizona, and Jodi will avoid the death penalty simply because giving her LWOP is the fastest way to get rid of her, or at least making her somebody else's problem. As long as she's alive, though, I expect she'll keep finding ways to bug the crap out of people -- but she'll have to do it from a considerable distance and at a much lower volume. Godspeed, Jodi, Godspeed.
Awesome. Post. Awesome.

I was on a jury once that was about drug possession/sales and the witnesses were mostly addicts--so far gone that they needed help getting up to the witness stand. The defense attorney didn't want us on the jury to see that so we had to leave the room each time such a witness was called to the stand, or stepped down. It will be interesting to see if the JA jury are made to feel like yo-yos--having to get up again mere minutes after being seated, over and over, day after day, because something is to happen that they should not see or hear. That up and down in and out nonsense will get old for the jurors very fast.

That's our little St. Jodi of Arias, alright.

Our Scheming Little St. Jodi of Arias. Obviously she couldn't possibly be down in Mesa one day, savagely murdering Travis, then up by Salt Lake City the next, cavorting with her new pawn/love interest.

I guess she thought of herself as a criminal mastermind. Now she knows that getting away with murder is actually very hard. Even for pretty girls who toss their hair and giggle.

And, alas, she'll have to wait a long time for canonization. She may see herself as a noble martyr in the battle against domestic violence, but no matter how many book clubs or recycling programs she starts in prison, or how many times she sings "O Holy Night," the Vatican would never even touch her without double haz-mat protection. Nor should anybody else.

That up and down in and out nonsense will get old for the jurors very fast.
Yes, I'm sure it will. Do you think jury fatigue will work in JA's favor or against it?

Here's what she is not allowed to say in opening or closing arguments/statements (all are considered improper arguments and will be shut down by JSS):

1. Can't attack JM's "theory of case"
2. Can't accuse JM of trying to hide evidence or of preventing relevant evidence from being introduced.
3. Can't attack State expert witnesses
4. Can't ask jury to put themselves in her shoes
5. Can't refer to matters outside of evidence
6. Can't comment on lack of evidence due to failure to call a witness
7. Can't challenge JM to explain the absence of any witness

Note: all the cannots here are points she's tried to argue during her allocution or in post convinction interviews.

Very interesting. Do you know of anything like an "Opening and Closing Statements For Dummies" site where I could find more information about this? Not trying to check up on you, just curious about the how's and why's. :)

Yes, I'm sure it will. Do you think jury fatigue will work in JA's favor or against it?

That is hard to call at this point. A lot will depend on the circumstances of their being moved in and out and who they perceive as being responsible. But even though I cannot call it at this point I will venture a guess that if yo-yo incidents happen every day and close together (one fairly soon after another) it will likely work in favor of one side over the other. It remains to be seen which side will benefit.

Our Scheming Little St. Jodi of Arias. Obviously she couldn't possibly be down in Mesa one day, savagely murdering Travis, then up by Salt Lake City the next, cavorting with her new pawn/love interest.

I guess she thought of herself as a criminal mastermind. Now she knows that getting away with murder is actually very hard. Even for pretty girls who toss their hair and giggle.

And, alas, she'll have to wait a long time for canonization. She may see herself as a noble martyr in the battle against domestic violence, but no matter how many book clubs or recycling programs she starts in prison, or how many times she sings "O Holy Night," the Vatican would never even touch her without double haz-mat protection. Nor should anybody else.

You had me right up until "...pretty girls..." -- surgical enhancements and cosmetic peccadilloes notwithstanding.

Those 'Cinnabons' are frightening if not out-and-out diseased.

Anyone see the news that Phoenix is having major flooding right now? Looks bad. They said its historic.
wonder if Estrella jail getting any water inside.

I don't know how to post the link about the flooding but it is on AZcentral.com

Thanks AZ Lawyer for the research on the motions! And boy were there a a lot of them... Whew!

She tried to argue everything including the kitchen sink. I can't believe she even had the gall to try and argue that Travis shouldn't be referred to as "the victim" in trial! (3/12/12)

You had me right up until "...pretty girls..." -- surgical enhancements and cosmetic peccadilloes notwithstanding.

Those 'Cinnabons' are frightening if not out-and-out diseased.

Sorry, I forgot my sarcasm quote marks. (Never had a cinnabon, but they're about the size of a human head, right? And sold in airports? Yeah, sounds healthy.)

I don't know how to post the link about the flooding but it is on AZcentral.com

How to post a link: Do you see a row of buttons/icons over your text field when you type a post? Is one of the icons round and blue/green? That's the "world" (as in worldwide web) and it has a tiny little chain link on it. If you want to put a link in a post, click on "the world" and this will bring up a window where you can enter the URL of your link. Hope this helps.

How to post a link: Do you see a row of buttons/icons over your text field when you type a post? Is one of the icons round and blue/green? That's the "world" (as in worldwide web) and it has a tiny little chain link on it. If you want to put a link in a post, click on "the world" and this will bring up a window where you can enter the URL of your link. Hope this helps.

Oh thanks. That looks easy. I never knew that. Now I have to try it. I looked at it just now. So if I type in azcentral.com in the URL address, how would you know to go right to the story? http://Azcentral.com.
I mean, you could get to the main page but then you have to look for the story, right? I am so dumb about those things. I appreciate your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298