Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/20 thru 2/23 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Most posters here are not PPL fans. Most view it as a shady pyramid scheme.

His gf Linda was not a fan either. She did not like PPL and the fact that Travis was constantly trying to sign up everyone...friends, family included

Ummm, someone help me out figuring out Jodi's logic here: Why exactly would her testimony prompt people (other than her whacko supporters) to send hate mail to the Alexanders???:thinking::waitasec:

That was funny though. As soon as JSS showed the Alexander family concern CMJA is all "Hello!!! Not them, ME!" and JM and JSS are like "Didn't you just say...." and she's "Yeah, well, I lied. Me, me, me!!!!"

I think JA was actually misunderstood by others in that room and was trying to clarify. She was saying that the people who hated her were threatening her--and also that the people who hated the Alexanders (i.e., the JA-supporters) were threatening her. It seemed that she was trying to explain that, no matter what she said, one group would want to kill her. If she said Travis was an abusive pedophile, the JA-haters would be out to get her, but if she said what her attorneys were telling her she HAD to say--that she was so sorry and remorseful and Travis didn't deserve it, then her SUPPORTERS would be out to get her! IMO she wanted her testimony to be secret so that she could say the things her attorneys were making her say without losing her fan club.

Good point, no cross. JSS can remedy that by forcing JA up on the stand. Will she do that???

She was willing to strike the testimony, which would have been the normal and appropriate way of dealing with the situation, but JM quite understandably said NO THANKS, I would rather keep her self-serving lies on the record so I can shred them to pieces in front of the jury.

JSS. Pff. I'm really starting to wonder about how differently things might have gone in this trial with another judge being in charge.

We have a Guilty verdict. Didn't get that with Judge Perry. We will get a Death Penalty sentence and all will be worth it. No way is Jodi going to walk with LWP.

I'm very disappointed that JSS didn't just KNOW that she couldn't allow this; that a decision to let JA testify in secret would certainly be overturned on appeal. It was NOT a hard decision. It should've been easy! I don't trust her judgement any longer.
But she did know, that's just it, at the very least because Juan told her. I happen to think it was a brilliant strategy. Give 'em what they want knowing full well it will be overturned and they can't complain any further!

I really don't get why this moprhed into such a big deal. The testimony she gave on the stand was just what everyone expected. No real bombshells. IMO, the DT is obviously trying to create an issue where there is none...but to what end? We knew how the COA would rule. I'm just not getting what the DT was after. It's gotta be more than what meets the eye. KWIM?

I think it was about JA's need to: feed on the drama, be in control, wrest media focus away from and rob the Alexanders of the overwhelmingly sympathy they received after their VIM's spoken just hours earlier.

But...I also am guessing it was her idea of strategy. That she planned or is still planning to say in allocution that SHE is not the one sliming Travis. That she's done everything in her power, including testifying in secret, to keep Travis edified in the public eye. After all, it is not HER responsibility what her attorneys ask DT experts, or her. The YOU-MADE-ME-DO-IT sliming has been one of her most consistent story lines, from Flores to family letter to plea-threat to guilt trial to interviews afterward, to her blog. I expect to see her trot it out one last time....

But she did know, that's just it, at the very least because Juan told her. I happen to think it was a brilliant strategy. Give 'em what they want knowing full well it will be overturned and they can't complain any further!

It did cross my mind after reading the transcript that judge, being aware this would be appealed, decided to make this ruling to leave it up to the COA since she was unsure of how this would look to a future appeals court. Give it to the COA and see.

But I don't think so. That seems an inappropriate thing to do and would be, and was, a waste of everyone's time, including the court of appeals. She doesn't seem like the type to play those games.

Nurmi said:

I thought his shrinks were not licensed in Arizona??? And Dr Demarte said NO PTSD!!!

I don't think there's any requirement for someone to be licensed in AZ to testify as an expert about a forensic diagnosis.

I think it was about JA's need to: feed on the drama, be in control, wrest media focus away from and rob the Alexanders of the overwhelmingly sympathy they received after their VIM's spoken just hours earlier.

But...I also am guessing it was her idea of strategy. That she planned or is still planning to say in allocution that SHE is not the one sliming Travis. That she's done everything in her power, including testifying in secret, to keep Travis edified in the public eye. After all, it is not HER responsibility what her attorneys ask DT experts, or her. The YOU-MADE-ME-DO-IT sliming has been one of her most consistent story lines, from Flores to family letter to plea-threat to guilt trial to interviews afterward, to her blog. I expect to see her trot it out one last time....

It's the stop-hitting-yourself defense. :rolleyes:

I totally disagree. Judge Sherry made a boner move that will follow her all the days of her life. She is now on record as wasting the COA's and almost the SCoA's time, and you are saying she knew it would be overturned, but just did it to shut the DT up.

Hmm, In that case...

#1, she is either incompetent,

OR

#2, she is incompetent.

MOO

OR

#3, JSS is another of JA's victims with some newly acquired form of "mental infirmity". Several years' listening to protracted sidebars with Nurmi/Wilmott and bushels of baseless motions would do that to anyone.

I think JSS was trying to prevent the all out media circus of the 1st trial and was fairly open to closing the court room.

BBM. I hope she does. The jury can then clearly see JA has absolutely no remorse.

It did cross my mind after reading the transcript that judge, being aware this would be appealed, decided to make this ruling to leave it up to the COA since she was unsure of how this would look to a future appeals court. Give it to the COA and see.

But I don't think so. That seems an inappropriate thing to do and would be, and was, a waste of everyone's time, including the court of appeals. She doesn't seem like the type to play those games.

Also, she has such a good track record on appeal that I can't imagine she'd want to mess that up. When I clerked for the AZ Supreme Court, there was one trial court judge who had a terrible reputation. When her name appeared on a decision, the judges would laugh and say "here comes another Judge X reversal." No one wants to be that judge lol.

Good summary! I am behind so perhaps it has been mentioned, but JA didn't want it known that she was testifying, not just that she doesn't want she said to be public. It was also said she wouldn't be able to adequately express remorse with an audience.

Yeah, but she testified for 18 days last time around and has no problem giving national TV interviews.

Juan also mentioned that he thought perhaps JA's real reason for wanting to clear the courtroom was because she was going to lie. He really does sound like the only rational person! JW comes off as whiny and Nurmi always comes off as if JW is stupid and he can explain it better than she. My impression of JSS is that she is really cautious. I bet she knew this would go to the COA and be denied. I am wondering if she did this knowing that would happen and thought it would be best to tackle the issue now vs. in the future with the AC. I don't know, I am just trying to make sense of all of this, considering the argument was so weak and JSS didn't even believe the argument.
BBM. This is exactly what I think. It's the only explanation that makes sense. Just wish the bashers could see it this way.

I think JSS was trying to prevent the all out media circus of the 1st trial and was fairly open to closing the court room.

I think she was only open to kicking everyone out to the overflow room and was trying the whole to prevent having to seal the proceedings. She was only open to the idea of shutting the cameras off and sending everyone to another room. It sounds like she did not want to do it but did. She seemed pretty reluctant.

Oh right! Sherry is a sly one! She knew the COA would overrule her unconstitutional ruling! That way, she could still coddle her favorite killer and keep Nurmi and JW happy! She is the nice one....COA is bad! I have to say that the pretzel shape one has to contort themselves into in order to defend Sherry is impressive! MK doesn't look that limber, but I guess he is! :giggle:

The killer got her exclusive audience with the jury. The State of Arizona, represented by JM, was completely excluded. No cross exam, no explanation to the jury why not. Nothing from Sherry about the testimony. Let's all ^5 Sherry for being so clever!!

Yep! At one point JM asserts that this affects the prosecution, but the judge showed no concern by not following up as she followed up with the DT and the murderer.

She was willing to strike the testimony, which would have been the normal and appropriate way of dealing with the situation, but JM quite understandably said NO THANKS, I would rather keep her self-serving lies on the record so I can shred them to pieces in front of the jury.

~rsbbm
When would the "lies-shredding" occur, in JM's closing? Can he mention in closing things he didn't mention/introduce earlier in this trial?

~rsbbm
When would the "lies-shredding" occur, in JM's closing? Can he mention in closing things he didn't mention/introduce earlier in this trial?

He's been doing it this whole time!

I am not sure how anyone here can know Chris Hughes' thoughts and after this many years he is still on the media circuit. He is a businessman...his online profile indicates speaker....trainer at Legal Shield (PPL reincarnated) and a million other ventures...this is keeping his name out there and he likes that. He may in fact just be the friend of Travis that some think he is but is it just as valid to question his motives. Again as no one here is on the inside to really know what the Alexanders think it is enough for me when he himself says they are not all on board then don't do it. And honestly the ones that are in the best position to talk about Travis is the family.

From the Chambers minutes of October 30th linked below..

I hope that Juan DRIVES.IT.HOME that her remorse on record is not for the killing and what she was charged for, but her remorse is for the RELATIONSHIP..not a mitigator then Jodi. pfffffft :pullhair:

View attachment 69780

So, it was stated on the record twice that her family could stay during her super secret testimony. :thinking: Were they seen outside of the court during the time of her testimony?

View attachment 69781
View attachment 69782

The DT may have asked them to leave to avoid making it obvious that JA was the witness on the stand.

Also, she has such a good track record on appeal that I can't imagine she'd want to mess that up. When I clerked for the AZ Supreme Court, there was one trial court judge who had a terrible reputation. When her name appeared on a decision, the judges would laugh and say "here comes another Judge X reversal." No one wants to be that judge lol.

Ah, thank you.

She may have felt it was a "safe" decision?

JSS knew the decision would be overturned by the COA. So did JM--he said so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV