Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/20 thru 2/23 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of notes, for those who can't access BK:

The COA opinion included nearly everything important that happened in chambers. There was no extended discussion of the legal merits of closing court...the COA included all on that score.

The main thing that happened was JA and MDLR teaming up to illustrate the DT's contention that JA was vulnerable to the hordes of haters out there, and therefore deserved special treatment.

The DT told JSS they wanted the court closed because JA was mentally ill and testifying in front of the "crowd" in court would make her nervous. As usual they opted for the spaghetti throw approach so added that the crowd in the court included people who didn't like JA and who therefore scared her. JSS asked- anyone specific? Offered to toss out 'em out. But no. The DT couldn't identify anyone, so MDLR helped out by telling a tale of being at the jail and witnessing a crazy person trying to see JA who was SO SO scary that JW and MDLR were advised to not sign in that day! They had to stay anonymous to feel safe, just as JA now must too!

JSS initially opted for media to overthrow room, but JW warned her...JA isn't going to like that! So JA was summoned and promptly took center stage with her... No, I do not like that one bit! refusal to testify.

JA said she had received "thousands and thousands and thousands" of pieces of mail. Mostly supportive, she said, but some hateful, just like the Alexanders. Her concern wasn't who was in court, but that anyone would ever hear what she said, because if her testimony was made public , no matter what she said there would be a deluge of mail, including hatemail going to everyone, including the Alexanders, and she didn't want that.

JM spoke for the Alexanders- no concern by them, and JA quickly edited herself....OK, it's about ME!! I'm worried about my physical safety in my "housing unit." Which prompted at last a comment by JSS that she didn't think JA's safety from strangers while in jail was a big concern .

The request , though, gradually morphed from closed court to secret testimony by JA that was NEVER to be released.

:what: BBM. What Chutzpah! :pullhair:(Excuse my Yiddish) Especially when the Alexanders can be asked directly if they felt threatened.:thud: She has NEVER had any right to speak for them. :gaah:Makes me feel like slapping her!!!:cursing:
Oh just spin her around and choke her unconscious til her arms fall down. You may have to take a number first though. Apparently to know her is to have an uncontrollable desire to choke her. I volunteer to be your wingman.

Just based on reports here on the in-chambers secret testimony hearing, JSS's decision is totally insupportable imo. I imagined that Geffner and/or another psych hack had provided JSS with persuasive sounding affidavits regarding JA's "mental impairments" requiring the closed testimony ... but so far it sounds like JSS made the incredibly bad decision to close the courtroom and seal the transcripts on her own.

ETA after reading Hope4More's excellent recap: JSS's decision looks even worse. She's a disgrace imo.

The COA opinion included nearly everything important that happened in chambers. There was no extended discussion of the legal merits of closing court...the COA included all on that score.

The main thing that happened was JA and MDLR teaming up to illustrate the DT's contention that JA was vulnerable to the hordes of haters out there, and therefore deserved special treatment.

The DT told JSS they wanted the court closed because JA was mentally ill and testifying in front of the "crowd" in court would make her nervous. As usual they opted for the spaghetti throw approach so added that the crowd in the court included people who didn't like JA and who therefore scared her. JSS asked- anyone specific? Offered to toss out 'em out. But no. The DT couldn't identify anyone, so MDLR helped out by telling a tale of being at the jail and witnessing a crazy person trying to see JA who was SO SO scary that JW and MDLR were advised to not sign in that day! They had to stay anonymous to feel safe, just as JA now must too!

JSS initially opted for media to overthrow room, but JW warned her...JA isn't going to like that! So JA was summoned and promptly took center stage with her... No, I do not like that one bit! refusal to testify.

JA said she had received "thousands and thousands and thousands" of pieces of mail. Mostly supportive, she said, but some hateful, just like the Alexanders. Her concern wasn't who was in court, but that anyone would ever hear what she said, because if her testimony was made public , no matte what she said there would be a deluge of mail, including hatemail going to everyone, including the Alexanders, and she didn't want that.

JM spoke for the Alexanders- no concern by them, and JA spoke quickly... its about ME. I'm worried about my physical safety in my "housing unit." Which prompted at last a comment by JSS that she didn't think JA's safety from strangers while in jail was a big concern .

The request though, gradually morphed from closed court to secret testimony by JA that was NEVER to be released.

Thanks button wasn't enough, Hope4More. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out.

As to the content - what a pant load. I wish the judge asked to see these thousands and thousands and thousands of letters.

Just based on reports here on the in-chambers secret testimony hearing, JSS's decision is totally insupportable imo. I imagined that Geffner and/or another psych hack had provided JSS with persuasive sounding affidavits regarding JA's "mental impairments" requiring the closed testimony ... but so far it sounds like JSS made the incredibly bad decision to close the courtroom and seal the transcripts on her own.

All on her own. More amazing, she verbally acknowledged or stated herself every single reason why closing court was wrong legally, but went ahead and did so without any noticable hesitation after JA played drama queen.

Will re-read and add little tidbits I've forgotten....

First...EDIT...JSS ruled that JA's family WOULD be allowed to stay after court was sealed! Leaving was their own choice.

ETA

Wilmott told JSS most of JA's mail was hateful, "some" supportive, JA enters and tells JSS most is supportive and only some hateful.

--JA told JSS that one of Travis' friends said he wanted to shoot her between the eyes.

As we thought, MDLR scoured online for JA......

ETA...Nurmi said that her ability to discuss mitigators 3,5,6, and 9 would be most affected if forced to speak in open court.

ETA. JM must often feel like he's the only adult in the room during these chamber mtgs. He tried to tell JSS that JA being nervous wasn't enough a reason to seal the court, and that he was concerned if she went forward her decision would be reversed on appeal.

Last observation...the DT and their client worked JSS like they were a con team. Nurmi makes motion to seal, JSS hesitates, Nurmi says, but you already TOLD us you would, JSS says..that was just about cameras, isn't this different? Nurmi and JW tag team her with the nervous scary angle, changing the story as they go along, JSS says to DT...OK, you're right on the merits so I will send folks to the overflow room, and JW says....that isn't good enough, as my client will explain to you, enter JA who says not only does she demand the court sealed she demands her testimony sealed FOREVER!! Or she won't talk at all!! Take that!!

And that's when JSS says...OK, well if you put it THAT way.

Moving goalposts. A con. They've had JSS's number all along.

CMJA's manipulation didn't get past JSS according to the Court testimony; the transcripts are a good read concerning the closed court ruling.

Will re-read and add little tidbits I've forgotten....

First....JA actually thought her family would be allowed to stay after the public was thrown out. Lol
H4M, keep em coming. Im off today and I need some more laughter. O/T, I wonder if the convicted killer, being the "environmentally foward" person that she is, requests that all the thousands and thousands pieces of mail she receives are being recycled.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Hhmm. Who is Rick Baker?
Not really related to this case. A blogger who wrote a book on the McStay case and is involved in another missing persons case. Apparently, he used to post here and isn't fond of some others. So, he's doing what all rational people who have issues online with others do - exposing their names, photos, humiliating them with abusive jokes and labeling them as dangerous trolls.

I just don't get how people have the time and energy for stuff like that.

He basically said he didn't interview any Mormons (sky, chris, Lisa) because he thinks Mormons lie and that anything they had to say wasn't useful.

I also got the feeling that he was specifically referring to the Mormon women Travis was "sexting" with. Had he actually questioned them, the first question he would have wanted to ask was if they had actually had sex with Travis. He assumed that they would lie to save their Temple Recommend.

I've also wondered if Travis set up all these "sexting" situations knowing Jodi was reading his messages and wanted her either to know he had other fish on the line or just to make her mad so she'd stay away from him.

ETA after reading Hope4More's excellent recap: JSS's decision looks even worse. She's a disgrace imo.

I couldn't see where there was any supporting documentation of any of the DT's or JA's allegations, so yes no wonder it got nerfed by the COA. I hope if JA does decide to give her allocation, that the jury will be able to determine that the whole closed court kerfuffle over her unfinished testimony was just another obfuscated technique to subvert the truth and that her allocation should be given the same weight in their assessment of any mitigating factors she tries to present.

All on her own. More amazing, she verbally acknowledged or stated herself every single reason why closing court was wrong legally, but went ahead and did so without any noticable hesitation after JA played drama queen.

The only good thing about having done so, and then it being overturned by the COA, is that it should remove any of the DT arguments for doing so as appeal worthy.

He was the nutter the DT had come in for the guilty phase to rebut Dr Horn's testimony regarding the gunshot & to back up Dr Samuels testimony. Spilt his water when JM started his cross x.

Don't forget the BURP!

BBM I generally stay out of religious debates, so I'm not sure why I am engaging in one, but this does offend me deeply. Lack of belief in a religious deity or ideal does not give one freedom to lie. Besides religious teachings, someone might also be bound by a code of ethics or personal belief that lying is not acceptable due to the harm it causes, by the shame of deceit, or for many, many other reasons. I deeply respect the religious beliefs held by others. I'm sad and surprised when I hear people say that a "non believer" has no beliefs or morals, because I know they do, they just might come from a different source. Please understand I say this in friendship, not confrontation, I understand this is a forum for everyone to express their ideas.

I too was shocked and offended, but on quick reflection I recognised that ICit is a compassionate and intelligent poster here, so I decided not to comment. This frustrating trial makes it so easy to get carried away in our wording, and I know I have done it myself.

JA said she had received "thousands and thousands and thousands" of pieces of mail. Mostly supportive, she said, but some hateful, just like the Alexanders. Her concern wasn't who was in court, but that anyone would ever hear what she said, because if her testimony was made public , no matter what she said there would be a deluge of mail, including hatemail going to everyone, including the Alexanders, and she didn't want that.

JM spoke for the Alexanders- no concern by them, and JA quickly edited herself....OK, it's about ME!! I'm worried about my physical safety in my "housing unit." Which prompted at last a comment by JSS that she didn't think JA's safety from strangers while in jail was a big concern .

The request , though, gradually morphed from closed court to secret testimony by JA that was NEVER to be released.

Thanks button wasn't enough, Hope4More. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that out.

As to the content - what a pant load. I wish the judge asked to see these thousands and thousands and thousands of letters.

Hope ~ My sincere thanks as well :bow:

I always look forward to reading all of your informative posts! Every time I read one, I always hope 4 more :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member