Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/5 - 2/9 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't remember this being discussed, but probably missed it. It just occurred to me. Why would the DT list PTSD as a mitigator? What possible relevance could it have, even if they could make a case that she suffered from it?

The only relevance I can see is if they were arguing a heat of passion, snapped killing. Which must be what they're suggesting, obliquely.

There's just no case to be made for connecting PTSD and a premeditated, drive 1,000 miles to reach your victim murder.

In Nurmi's closing, in the guilt phase, he said maybe she just snapped, when the defense was fighting tooth and nail for PTSD self defense. I also think that is where they're going. And again it's blame Travis for his own murder - he drove Jodi to do it.

I'm looking at JA's last journal, over at BK's site. The very first thing JA writes after the murder is: "Wow. UTAH WAS AMAZING!!!!!"

:notgood:

That say's it all- she had already put the murder out of her mind and moved on!

I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree. I am not an abuse survivor, however I am a quilter. If I saw someone on TV talking about a book on quilting she had written and I could tell by her conversation that she knew very little about quilting would I buy her book, no. Would I recommend her book - no. If she is not credible why would I think her book would be?

Again, that isn't how the review process works. If you don't find her credible, you don't buy the book. It's pretty dishonest to give a book a bad rating when you haven't even read it. You don't review a book you never read or never intend to read. Amazon reviews are not the place for people to opine on a person's credibility or to bash them, which many of the reviews did. It's actually against the rules there to write a review in that manner.

In Nurmi's closing, in the guilt phase, he said maybe she just snapped, when the defense was fighting tooth and nail for PTSD self defense. I also think that is where they're going. And again it's blame Travis for his own murder - he drove Jodi to do it.

Is he going to say she snapped in Yreka prior to planning everything?

I'm looking at JA's last journal, over at BK's site. The very first thing JA writes after the murder is: "Wow. UTAH WAS AMAZING!!!!!"

:notgood:

I'm glad you have BK access. I've learned that BK's assertions on AZ law can be flat out wrong; looking forward to seeing any real-time corrections you may make here.

As to Utah amazing....isn't that an indication of PDST, that she wrote about Utah rather than how traumatized she was by having to murder Travis?

Is he going to say she snapped in Yreka prior to planning everything?

Right? Bet the jurors scratch their heads on that one. Or see it for exactly what it is and hold it against JA, as my goodness does it scream "it wasn't my fault!!!!!!"

I'm glad you have BK access. I've learned that BK's assertions on AZ law can be flat out wrong; looking forward to seeing any real-time corrections you may make here.

As to Utah amazing....isn't that an indication of PDST, that she wrote about Utah rather than how traumatized she was by having to murder Travis?

Haha no, that's not how I read it. I read it as "UTAH" [code word for "what I did on my trip"] was amazing, followed by FIVE exclamation points just to emphasize the amazingness of "UTAH," followed by a detailed hour-by-hour alibi recitation with very little overt amazingness whatsoever mentioned. :thinking: So the amazing part was the part not specifically recited, apparently.

JA meltdown and her slamming Nurmi tweet....

BK provides exact time for each of her notes. Reconstructing from that, the tweet about Nurmi was sent out after the lunch break, 7 minutes after court was set to resume.

At the exact minute the tweet was posted JSS was on the bench speaking to the bailiff and JA's guard. JA was in the back room. Minutes more passed with the guards going in and out of the back room. One spoke with JM, leaving JM shaking his head. Don't know where MDLR was (tho the obvious guess is she was with JA); but it seems that Nurmi at least was in the courtroom.

After about ten minutes of this drama JSS called the jury in. JA was still in the back room. JA returned to the courtroom literally one minute after the jury was called.

It looks like she believed she could halt proceedings by throwing a hissy fit and refusing to return. She must have been amazed that everyone, including JSS, was willing and able to move along without her. :)
Where can I read the "slamming Nurmi" tweet? :). Im all for that.:happydance::happydance:

I find his errors somewhat minor. I find his perspective valuable and most importantly he brings us what's happening in the courtroom in better detail. Who cares if he mistook when Travis' grandmother received that letter? The idea was there, a grieiving family reading a detailed account of how loved one was killed from the killer herself. Again, it's a minor mistake.

I wish KCL was still "reporting" She really kept us in the loop. The trial wore her down, and personally I am happy she stepped away.

Is it fair to say that when the child is an only child and very young it is easy for the parents to give in to every whim or desire BUT as they get older, and perhaps there are more children, their wants become unreasonable and the parents then say no!
Does this cause the rage in the child? Does this begin the manipulation and threats of suicide? Does this cause the parents to find a way to give the child what they want just to have some peace? Then the circle continues?
If you're asking me, then I'd have to say there's already a personality deficit. Obviously, there are millions of initially spoiled first borns that aren't personality disordered. Like DeMarte said, the personality is in adaptation stage until 25 - until then, it can go either way. It's my belief that personality disorder is evident by the early to mid teens. Many psychs don't like labeling adolescents with a personality disorder and it can be very difficult to determine when a child is simply a troubled teen or when it's something potentially a lot worse.

A child not getting what they want is going to cause some anger - what level that rises to very much depends on the child and their personal make-up. With someone personality disordered, they will use manipulation to get what they want - and, in all honesty, that includes how they respond with anger. Someone can rage and simply yell a lot. Someone else can rage and become physically violent. IME, rage and anger are also used as manipulative tools - how better to control someone else's behavior than through them fearing you? Or fearing what you will do to yourself?

I mean no offense to anyone here who may be personality disordered but obviously my experiences loving someone who is leave me a bit biased. Untreated personality disordered people won't just use threats, rage, or emotional blackmail to get what they want - including how we respond to them - but they actually use what matters most. Our love. That can't be truer for parents of a personality disordered child - you want them to be happy, whole, and know they're loved. You'll do almost anything to ensure that and that is taken advantage of. When you 'behave' (meaning doing what they want) they'll be an angel and you'll buy into the false hope that finally things are changing. They aren't, but the personality disordered person needs to draw you back in so you don't leave or give up on them. Our hope is our second greatest weakness.

That's really the cycle. When they're happy they're so charismatic, loving, kind. You thank your lucky stars for them - of course at this time, you're also perfect in their eyes. They get annoyed, and you know from past experience a rage isn't far off, so you start walking on eggshells. You change your behavior to suit them. You begin to argue less because it's simply easier not to. You might not ground them when they come home at midnight because last time they tried to cut themselves. Eventually, boundaries blur and through loving someone severely personality disordered and untreated, you truly do lose a part of yourself. It is absolutely psychological warfare and emotional abuse. Part of you gives up, part of you keeps hoping, and most of you is always confused, sad, upset because part of the manipulative process is making you feel as though their behavior is caused by you. This has devastating consequences for loved ones: fear, shame, embarrassment, self-loathing, depression, low self-esteem, loss of trust, isolation, potential self-harm, possible substance abuse, mental health issues, PTSD, stress, anxiety.

I just gotta add (sorry this is so long already) - sometimes suicide threats made by personality disordered individuals are very real. Other times they're just a manipulative tool. I've never personally figured out how to tell the difference but the link between suicide and PD is very real. I think we'd all agree as parents, we'd do practically anything to prevent our children from meeting that fate.

All JMO and FWIW

JA fan chit chat notwithstanding evidently JD was quite clear that JA didn't have a criminal record that she "knew of", not that she didn't have one.

I so wish the Arias's would have pressed charges on Jodi's pot growing and that that could be brought up. Growing pot is criminal activity.

Just playing around and found this.
Is anyone familiar with Health-grades?
This is a Patient Satisfaction feedback on their experience with Dr. Janeen A. Demarte, PHD
Over all - below national average
Staff friendliness- below national average
Total Time wait- shorter than national average
Office environment, cleanliness, comfort,,etc,- above national average
Ease of scheduling, urgent appointments- below national average
Level of trust in provider- below national average
How provider explains medical conditions - below national average
How well provider listens and answers questions- below national average
Spends appropriate amount of time with patients- below national average

This site wouldn't let me read the reviews because that part is confidential.

I was surprised.

http://www.healthgrades.com/provider/janeen-demarte-366p9#tab=patient-ratings&scrollTo=TopOfMain

Well. At least there isn't a long wait and the office is clean. Thats something! There is another rating service I like more than health grades. My doctor moved and I had to find a new one. Went through four but found a terrific one! I will post it if I can go find it. :)

AZL....do you have any knowledge about how other trial attorneys view Nurmi at this point (if any of them are paying attention at all)?

My husband continues to be appalled by Nurmi's lack of courtroom civility, but then he's more accustomed to going up against genteel white heeled counsel for corporate criminals. :D

Hope,

I'm glad to see you asked, because 30 minutes ago I was wanting to ask the same thing!

I've been in courtrooms, and have never seen someone so unprofessional...ever. From his "reclinating," feet up, picking his nose, let alone what he says, all his approaches, etc. etc. etc.

He comes across as unprofessional in just about every category.

If anyone here local says something about a sleazy defense attorney in our area...well, I guess I'll have to speak up and defend them, and say I happen to know of one that is the true picture of "sleazy." I should just whip out a photo of the Nurms.

Oh, JMO.

Haha no, that's not how I read it. I read it as "UTAH" [code word for "what I did on my trip"] was amazing, followed by FIVE exclamation points just to emphasize the amazingness of "UTAH," followed by a detailed hour-by-hour alibi recitation with very little overt amazingness whatsoever mentioned. :thinking: So the amazing part was the part not specifically recited, apparently.

:). I sincerely love watching a sharp mind at work. I didn't catch that.

Re BK, to be fair, some of our disagreements are not about AZ law per se but about the practical workings of things in our court system. For example, yes, if JSS sentenced JA and JA filed her appeal before the other judge ruled on the omnibus motion, then the other judge wouldn't have jurisdiction to include JA in that ruling. But (1) JSS won't sentence JA while the omnibus motion is pending, (2) the appeal won't be filed for months after sentencing because there are approximately a million post-trial motions to file and brief first, and (3) the appellate court would just send the case back down for a ruling on the omnibus motion. So she didn't have the "law" wrong but just hadn't worked out how it would actually play out, which is something you can only really learn "in the trenches" lol.

I would have liked the jury to have asked the Bishop if you have to believe in the ten commandments before you are Baptized?

Jodi picks and chooses which commandments she likes. They are more like suggestions to her than commandments. She ignores Honor Thy Father & Mother, and Thou Shalt Not Kill.

She's "disassociating" from the horror, as she's already enjoying life without the object of her obsession being in it.

Good question, since Jodi NOW believes it is never ok to kill someone. :rolleyes:

What a revelation.
When the someone is her. That's the "death threats she's been receiving", from the State of Arizona. Casey Anthony did the same thing and posted an Anti-DP cartoon. Strange how they become political, when it directly affects them.

Re BK, to be fair, some of our disagreements are not about AZ law per se but about the practical workings of things in our court system. For example, yes, if JSS sentenced JA and JA filed her appeal before the other judge ruled on the omnibus motion, then the other judge wouldn't have jurisdiction to include JA in that ruling. But (1) JSS won't sentence JA while the omnibus motion is pending, (2) the appeal won't be filed for months after sentencing because there are approximately a million post-trial motions to file and brief first, and (3) the appellate court would just send the case back down for a ruling on the omnibus motion. So she didn't have the "law" wrong but just hadn't worked out how it would actually play out, which is something you can only really learn "in the trenches" lol.

That makes sense. What I appreciate about BK the person is that she's remained behind to cover the trial. There's no way she's making a dime blogging. I imagine she's actually making multiple types of sacrifices to see the trial through to the end.

Dodn't JA rattle some of them off during the first day of interrogation? lol

I thought the 10 Commandments were a Catholic thing, do Mormons hold them in the same regard?
No, the Ten Commandments originated in Judaism, Old Testament. Moses received them on Mount Sinai from God, and synagogues usually have them written upon their ark doors. Mormons do consider themselves Christian. We have friends who are Mormon who have a large picture of Jesus in their living room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hskrgrl1955