Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - 2/5 - 2/9 - Break

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you kindly, AZL, for letting me down easy and saving some of my pride. :loveyou:

Dont worry about pride. Lol. I have been shot down so many times on this site. And I guess I've done my share also. We are all opinionated but honestly mean no harm. I just couldn't believe that a judge could keep someone in jail after the jury has spoken. I am from Texas, well used to be. They don't mess around there. But I don't know what they do here in Indiana.

And Jodi's NOT a "small girl". She's 5'8" or 5'10", I believe.

Her height is listed as 5'6" on her driver's license, although I don't recall DMV ever measuring anyone, just asking you your height and weight. JW must be kind of short as JA does look tallish next to her.

They can and often do give interviews afterwards. Watch Dateline and 48 Hours. They often talk to the jurors about their deliberations.

I hesitate to admit this, but I wonder if the media attention post-verdict is what motivates some of these jurors to stay on. Having put their lives on hold as they have, I guess that's their right.

And Jodi's NOT a "small girl". She's 5'8" or 5'10", I believe.

Iirc she is 5'6' and was around 125lbs, give or take a few(someone had said she'd been working out hard after moving back to Yreka so just going by her DL). Anyway, point is that that's the same as I was back in my 20's and I used to be able to take down all four of my bros., not all at once but up to two at a time and they ranged from 5yrs younger to 4 yrs older and all were/are bigger than me and that's just roughhousing, let alone what I could've done with a stun gun, gun, or knife. Yes, they were all of more of the nerdish variety and I was the hiker/camper/goldpanner type.. so imo I and most certainly JA had an advantage, especially since most males would never think to strike a female until and unless they were in danger of losing their life.

There was MUCH more having to do with the Purple Plum. But the only stuff I have been able to find was on the Juan Martinez Support page on FB. You have to look for it in the posts about purple plum, maybe back about a week now. I do not want to say too much, and don't know how true it is. but the accusation seems to be along the lines that it was NOT Travis who was the pedophile.
I looked and couldn't find anything. Could it be that's why DB didn't want JA around his son and moved? If so, he lied in court. Maybe he was afraid if she gets out, he is next. Whew!

Nah, except that I'm a dog person.

Oh me too! Been a pup foster mom and dog owner for years. I love all animals, but I think my kiddo' s "cat lady" tease is meant to imply something about age as well, that perhaps many of my fellow WSers are "older" like me LOL. (Course, to a 20 year old, anything over 30 is ancient!!!)

Daisy, you may be right but I think Jodi would have told Wilmer that and it would have come out in cross. I think the lyrics to the song is interesting.

It's a slapstick island time story about a local dude day drinking as if he were on vacation. I don't see anything ominous about it though?

I was thinking the same thing as well today!!

Things to know about me: I attend Bonnaroo every summer, I have two cats, no kids, never married, work for a Fortune 500 Company and could get fired at any minute for posting this while at work.

Great to meet you and thanks for sharing. LMAO at your last comment. I promise I won't rat you out to your employer...

After this last week of testimony I think it is possible that Jodi was able to trap Travis in the shower because he was not in fear for his life until the slaughter began. From the testimony Travis did tell a friend that he was scared that Jodi would commit suicide over him. Jodi threatened suicide in her journal many times. Ii's possible toe that she showed up that day and made Travis believe that she was going to commit suicide. Also, Jodi has said that sex calmed Travis down. Did she twist it around and it is her that Travis was always able to calm down by giving her sex? if Jodi showed up at Travis' threatening suicide and he believed her I don't see him turning her away. Sure explains the sex that day, and the not so happy *advertiser censored* pics that day.
I may be way off base here, but I have never been able to understand the *advertiser censored* pics that day. They are not of a happy couple that has just had sex. It's possible they were manipulation by Jodi, and Travis complying to appease her. Just a thought.

:(:(:(
Bummer, I was really hoping for verdict, last SWAT bus leaving the courthouse and first escourt out of Estella headed to Perryville the next day. No last visits with Maria. Just one last one with Nurmi, and I hoped it was on one of those nine out of ten days he doesn't like her.

ROFL!!! I am a visual thinker. Wonder if he could tell her what he really thinks?

I don't think that one can reduce such multi-faceted and complex decision making to a syllogism.

This is a good point. The jury is SUPPOSED to say, OK, let's balance this aggravating factor--cruelty--against the mitigating factors. She's clearly mentally ill (BPD), but should we count that as mitigating? (Discussion.) What other mitigating factors are there? (Discussion.) OK, juror #4, please try to remember that the pedo lie can be considered only in rebuttal to mitigation, not as an aggravating factor. (Discussion.) Juror #8, I know we all feel terrible for the family, but we cannot decide based on sympathy and must consider the VIS only in rebuttal to mitigation, not as an aggravating factor. Thank you.

Instead, they are quite likely to say, OK, let's list the reasons for death on one side of this paper and reasons for life on the other side. On the death side, premeditation, cruelty, lack of remorse, horrible letter to the family, pedo lie, heart-rending VIS, the irises sent to MumMum, psychopath. On the life side, BPD but only if it's a mental ILLNESS. What does everyone think? OK, it's not a mental illness because it had nothing to do with the crime? OK, I'll cross that off.

Drives me nuts when I interview jurors, because even if they go my way, they invariably have utterly failed to follow the jury instructions.

Can someone post the song Margaritaville with lyrics by Jimmy Buffet? I think Jodi was familar with this song. Its where she got the name Margaritaville from. IMO

Dont think she will ever get "wasted away again in Margaritaville, searching for her last shaker of salt."
or have a strawberry frappe...
or see a thousand places...

Thats over.

After this last week of testimony I think it is possible that Jodi was able to trap Travis in the shower because he was not in fear for his life until the slaughter began. From the testimony Travis did tell a friend that he was scared that Jodi would commit suicide over him. Jodi threatened suicide in her journal many times. Ii's possible toe that she showed up that day and made Travis believe that she was going to commit suicide. Also, Jodi has said that sex calmed Travis down. Did she twist it around and it is her that Travis was always able to calm down by giving her sex? if Jodi showed up at Travis' threatening suicide and he believed her I don't see him turning her away. Sure explains the sex that day, and the not so happy *advertiser censored* pics that day.
I may be way off base here, but I have never been able to understand the *advertiser censored* pics that day. They are not of a happy couple that has just had sex. It's possible they were manipulation by Jodi, and Travis complying to appease her. Just a thought.

Not off base at all. ITA.

Two cats, never married, female. Bona fide "cat lady"!

Margaritaville is also a chain of restaurants started by Jimmy Buffet
http://www.margaritavillelasvegas.com/restaurant.html

MOO: I think JA told Ryan Burns she cut her finger at Casa Ramos and described the restaurant to him as "like Margaritaville" but he probably wasn't paying close attention. She talks a lot. Who remembers all of her babble?
It looks a lot more low-key than Margaritaville http://casaramos.net/

ETA: Hm. There is, or was, a Margaritaville location in Cancun...
http://www.margaritaville.com.mx/en/

Also a great song!

This is a good point. The jury is SUPPOSED to say, OK, let's balance this aggravating factor--cruelty--against the mitigating factors. She's clearly mentally ill (BPD), but should we count that as mitigating? (Discussion.) What other mitigating factors are there? (Discussion.) OK, juror #4, please try to remember that the pedo lie can be considered only in rebuttal to mitigation, not as an aggravating factor. (Discussion.) Juror #8, I know we all feel terrible for the family, but we cannot decide based on sympathy and must consider the VIS only in rebuttal to mitigation, not as an aggravating factor. Thank you.

Instead, they are quite likely to say, OK, let's list the reasons for death on one side of this paper and reasons for life on the other side. On the death side, premeditation, cruelty, lack of remorse, horrible letter to the family, pedo lie, heart-rending VIS, the irises sent to MumMum, psychopath. On the life side, BPD but only if it's a mental ILLNESS. What does everyone think? OK, it's not a mental illness because it had nothing to do with the crime? OK, I'll cross that off.

Drives me nuts when I interview jurors, because even if they go my way, they invariably have utterly failed to follow the jury instructions.

/me waits til AZlawyer is looking at someone else so I can inconspicuously slide my tally sheet off the conference table, rumple it up quietly and stuff it into my boot.

I think it is fairly safe to assume that with all the preparation, travel time and expense involved that JA did not fear TA at all. In fact, I would guess that she was pretty confident she could pull it off as she did because she knew he would not attack her. Otherwise she would have killed him while she slept. jmo

I truly thought I had seen the worst of the worst in Steve Feldman and Jose Baez when it came to defense attorneys and their demeanor and courtroom behaviors. I was so wrong.

Nurmi to me emits as much mean spiritedness and evil in the courtroom as his guilty client.

To keep this up for months/years on end while taking so long to do it shows a man who knows he is hurting innocent victims both living and dead and he just doesn't care. In fact it is as if he relishes in it. Not only does he do it continuously but he repeats or has the witness repeat things over and over again.

He seems to have no capacity to judge his jury. I don't think I can remember another case where the DT doesn't try to read the jury and takes cues when to shut up and sit down.

And he doesn't seem to be a people person. He was so rude, vile, and condescending to Dr. DeMarte and he does it with such glee. He doesn't seem to realize that being respectful to DJD is a much better route. He already knows she is going to answer his questions so she certainly isn't combative whatsoever. It makes him look boorish and a big heavy weight bully. Imo, the jurors cannot possible like the way he handles some of the witnesses. From what I have read, when Juan was up questioning DJD the jurors were writing notes like crazy but once Nurmi got up and became an attack dog, the note taking stopped.

While Juan can be curt and want the questions asked to be answered quickly he does not stoop to the abhorrent type of behavior the DT does. And then defense lawyers wonder why they are detested by so many.

Of course I am not a juror on this case but the times I have been a juror I did not like it when the attorney badgered a cooperating witness. It made me think they knew THAT particular witness had really hurt their client and all they did was amplify that to the jury by pouncing.

I do think he will become one of the most disliked defense attorneys by the way he has handled himself in the well of the court throughout. He and Wilmot have been disgraceful at times by their antics. imo

Even his physical appearance gives off a mean spirited persona and I know this is petty but somehow to me he comes across as one who isn't hygienically clean. Maybe that comes from him constantly picking his nose during the first trial. GAG. He doesn't come across as a professional who is trying to make sure his client gets a fair sentencing phase. It goes way beyond that to the extreme. I have seen victim blaming to some extent by other DTs but never to this extent or for this long. The DT literally makes everyone else the bad guy knowing full well that the only one involved that is bad to the bone is their client. Even their so called experts don't budge one inch and Arias is being painting as something she is certainly not. Yet DJD who is truly professional speaks the truth in her answers whether they help or hurt the state. That is honor and truth.......something none of the DT knows anything about. KN seems delighted to put forth the lies and push them down the throat of the jurors as much as his client has tried to do by her constant pathological lying throughout and she isn't through either, imo.

It is very upsetting to see such downright mean behavior. Sometimes KN acts like he thinks he is on the Jerry Springer show instead of a court of law.

And some of the best attorneys I have seen have been defense attorneys. But they were respectful in the court at all times .......even to state witnesses and they got the exact answers they wanted without ever having to demean the witnesses.

Amen! And I am almost convinced that the dramatic change in his appearance is to distance himself from the Nurmi in the first trial to the point that he barely looks like his old self and that 'reputation' and visual representation (including the nose picking). Meanwhile, his mean-spiritedness and amorality are alive and kicking.

Sorry. IMO, I like the second version that begins "Instead...". In all cases. Jurors sould be able to apply their own logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli