Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@monicalindstrom: This selection process took 1 less day than last time: #jodiarias

Beth Karas
16 mins ·

Court resumed at 3 pm local time. The attorneys were at a long sidebar then the judge cleared the courtroom. Media are in the hall. It appears that the attorneys will exercise their strikes today--not on 10/16--though we will not know who's on the final jury until 10/16. On that day, the jury will be sworn. In sum, the attorneys are exercising their peremptory challenges today. No jurors are now at the courthouse. Forty five of them are returning next week. Twelve plus a number of alternates (not sure how many) will be sworn as the panel on Oct. 16. We expect argument on at least one motion before Oct.16 though the schedule keeps changing. I'll update as I get more information.

This is great news. Moving right along. Finally! Beth has great posts. Sure hope we get good jurors and a great foreman!

I miss Beth Karas. She is always fair and factual. I am glad she is posting on FB. I wish she would log onto WS and just post for us. I don't ask a lot, do I? Anxious to hear what kind of jury we end with. I think Beth can give us some clear and precise details without nonsense to go with it.

So sounds like we're not gonna get much right now.

Will all the jurors not picked be told ahead of time never mind about Oct. 16 or will they still be called in and told right away they're no longer needed?

Sorry if this is a repeat, I have not finished reading all the posts.

Beth Karas
23 minutes ago
Apparently the courtroom will remain closed for the rest of the day. The defense's motion to take the death penalty off the table is expected to be argued on Thursday, Oct. 16. There are no other pending matters in court between now and then but things could change.

Dave Erickson ‏@ericksonvision · 3m3 minutes ago
#JodiArias jury pool down to 38. Each side gets 10 strikes bringing it down to the 12 + 6 alternates.

Ha, ha, ha, Hez! I have a permanent & clear mental picture of that love child. And I'll never get over it.

So the court and attorneys will know before they go home tonight. The public won't know because the jury won't know until the 16th, correct?

@jeffgoldesq: @THEGOLDPATROL EXCLUSIVE: In Secret FB #JodiArias supporter group, some want the death penalty! With friends like that who needs enemies!

I don't care what they think, and I'm not going to look to find out whether it's true. I'm not even going to try to see if there is such a FB group.

So the court and attorneys will know before they go home tonight. The public won't know because the jury won't know until the 16th, correct?

There should be a minute entry filed (probably tomorrow) saying which jurors were stricken. But unless one of the tweeters consistently used juror numbers in referring to the voir dire proceedings that might not give you much information.

There should be a minute entry filed (probably tomorrow) saying which jurors were stricken. But unless one of the tweeters consistently used juror numbers in referring to the voir dire proceedings that might not give you much information.

Thanks AZ lawyer. Great to hear from you.

Thank you! The potential jurors should know before the public does, in my opinion, so I don't care that the tweeting reporters didn't keep track. And now I understand why you appreciate jury selection. It seems to be a combination of toss-the-dice, logic, and observation of human nature on the part of the attorneys. I wish we could have seen it.

Thanks for all the tweets .:blowkiss:

Here are all Beth Karas' facebook writings for today (just in case some were missed)- she seems to make things more clear for me. :moo: (of course she has more space (?) on her facebook page than those who are tweeting):
-------------------------------------------------

Beth Karas
8 hours ago
Back in court for the final day of death qualification and other screening of potential jurors in the Arias penalty phase retrial. Everyone is in the well but Arias. Waiting for her.

Beth Karas
8 hours ago
Martinez is questioning a 23 year old man who is a recent convert to LDS. Martinez is asking questions about how he will handle it if he hears from someone who professes to be LDS and says something he knows is a lie. "How will you handle that?" he asks. "I don't know...I'll have to go with what the person says." "Even if you know they're lying?" "Yes, because it's what they believe." Hmm.

Beth Karas
8 hours ago
The same 23 year old man is still answering questions from Martinez. "The death penalty is an extreme measure of punishment but if the the crime is extremely horrible, then I believe in it."

Beth Karas
7 hours ago
This 23 year old is basically opposed to the death penalty though he believes he could return a death verdict under the right set of facts. He'll probably make it to the next round but I wouldn't expect Martinez to keep him.

Beth Karas
7 hours ago
The 23 year old man made it to the next round. He'll return on 10/16 for the final round of questioning after which the attorneys will exercise up to 10 peremptory challenges each.

Beth Karas
7 hours ago
Nurmi is now questioning a kindergarten teacher about her views on the death penalty. It's not clear to me, yet, what her views are but she just said: “I’m a very factual person. I need to hear evidence and facts.”

Beth Karas
7 hours ago
The kindergarten teacher made the cut and will return next week. Court is on a break and will resume shortly.

Beth Karas
6 hours ago
The next juror being questioned was aware of the first trial but only saw short reports on the news. She recalls Arias's allocution during the first penalty phase. She was not impressed with Arias and thought she showed no remorse. The juror was surprised Arias could give such a presentation with a power point.

Beth Karas
6 hours ago
The next juror is being questioned by Nurmi. The juror is very articulate. Some things he would ask himself in deciding between life and death: "What is the person like? What is their mental state after [the crime]? Shown remorse? What else is going on inside of their head that says we should keep them around--to be punished, yes-- but with a life sentence? Why do we keep them? What is the reason for it?"

Beth Karas
6 hours ago
The male juror just questioned made the cut and will return on 10/16. So far, there are 45 potential jurors returning.

Beth Karas
5 hours ago
The attorneys have been at a lengthy sidebar since the last juror left. There are only a few more potential jurors in the hall to be questioned but, perhaps, they're discussing at sidebar whether to leave it at 45 who are returning next week, and not question more.

Beth Karas
5 hours ago
Court is in recess until 3 pm (6 pm ET).

Beth Karas
2 hours ago
Court resumed at 3 pm local time. The attorneys were at a long sidebar then the judge cleared the courtroom. Media are in the hall. It appears that the attorneys will exercise their strikes today--not on 10/16--though we will not know who's on the final jury until 10/16. On that day, the jury will be sworn. In sum, the attorneys are exercising their peremptory challenges today. No jurors are now at the courthouse. Forty five of them are returning next week. Twelve plus a number of alternates (not sure how many) will be sworn as the panel on Oct. 16. We expect argument on at least one motion before Oct.16 though the schedule keeps changing. I'll update as I get more information.

Beth Karas
2 hours ago
Apparently the courtroom will remain closed for the rest of the day. The defense's motion to take the death penalty off the table is expected to be argued on Thursday, Oct. 16. There are no other pending matters in court between now and then but things could change.

https://www.facebook.com/BethKarasInsession

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a great gal she is :loveyou: and what dopes HLN are for letting her go, IMO.

She might not have wanted to follow the HLN script, YorN. This is to her credit.

JM really needs to get rid of that 23 year old "New" Mormon who will believe what the murderer lies about ("if he hears from someone who professes to be LDS and says something he knows is a lie. "How will you handle that?" he asks. "I don't know...I'll have to go with what the person says." "Even if you know they're lying?" "Yes, because it's what they believe.") So he will believe all the baloney that murderer spouts because she believes it?!!! What a crock, IMO. :stormingmad: Nurmi wants this juror real bad, IMO.

OMG- what is it with this man/child? :scared:

And that man who argued with him, too- get rid of him. It's obvious that he doesn't care for JM and just might side with Nurmi/Wilmott just to make a point. :moo:

Dave Erickson ‏@ericksonvision 2h2 hours ago
No court tomorrow, Friday, or Monday. See you Tuesday. Enjoy the break, once the train rolls out, it'll be a runaway locomotive #jodiarias

JM really needs to get rid of that 23 year old "New" Mormon who will believe what the murderer lies about ("if he hears from someone who professes to be LDS and says something he knows is a lie. "How will you handle that?" he asks. "I don't know...I'll have to go with what the person says." "Even if you know they're lying?" "Yes, because it's what they believe.") So he will believe all the baloney that murderer spouts because she believes it?!!! What a crock, IMO. :stormingmad: Nurmi wants this juror real bad, IMO.

OMG- what is it with this man/child? :scared:

And that man who argued with him, too- get rid of him. It's obvious that he doesn't care for JM and just might side with Nurmi/Wilmott just to make a point. :moo:

It sound like this young man can not think for himself. Want to sell him the Brooklyn Bridge?

@jeffgoldesq: Juror becomes emotional in #JodiArias today bringing back her domestic abuser. #Sad

@ericksonvision: Female prospective #jodiarias juror recounts her own domestic abuse. Emotional moment in a pretty rote proceeding.

Weird how there were never any emotional moments when Jodi was telling the court about her abuse.

(sarcasm)

Thanks for all the tweets .:blowkiss:

Here are all Beth Karas' facebook writings for today (just in case some were missed)- she seems to make things more clear for me. :moo: (of course she has more space (?) on her facebook page than those who are tweeting):
-------------------------------------------------
snipped for space

I would love to see Beth Karas live blogging in a forum like the one Amy Lange has at http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/26733744/live-blog-day-2-of-jury-selection-for-bashara-trial . I don't know how that works (for all I know it is Twitter) but Ms. Lange is doing an excellent job.

Seems like. I don't know why someone who thought she didn't show any remorse would be booted over someone who was overtly wishy washy over his belief in the death penalty.

She's already made up her mind. I don't think they want someone "wishy washy" but the DO want someone who hasn't decided in their minds that she has no remorse and deserves death. I understand that. Most people won't' have dissected every little minute thing about this trial like we have. I have decided she is not remorseful and I have also decided she is dangerous and likely to hurt someone again. I probably couldn't be impartial if I were a juror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24