Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
and don't forget that JA's answer to her mom was "no, she had the receipts to prove it" (paraphrase).
that response locked in (explained) so much for me.

Two of my favorite moments in the trial were when Juan exposed the "I was never in AZ" lie and when he exposed the "coded messages from jail" escapade. I'm not sure about the former, but I loved the latter because it looked like the DT was completely caught off guard - the looks on their faces were priceless.

and don't forget that JA's answer to her mom was "no, she had the receipts to prove it" (paraphrase).
that response locked in (explained) so much for me.
Jodi's Mother who would know the inflections and quirks the best of anyone automatically assumed Jodi was involved. IIRC, so did her Father. Mother and Father knew Jodi's capacity for lying and violence.

Jodi is the only one responsible for the vicious planning and CHOICES she made. She ALWAYS went to him. Travis Alexander NEVER went to her. Jodi was the abuser. NOT him.

From WAT:

Wild About Trial @WildAboutTrial · 26s 27 seconds ago
Nurmi continues to banter with judge about #21. She doesn't know if #21 will even be called and can't answer Nurmi. #jodiarias

Far be it from me to quibble over vocabulary... but I'm kind of a jerk that way. Banter? Nurmi? I'm trying to imagine him in a smoking jacket and velvet slippers, martini in one hand, chicken wing in the other, exchanging witty bons mots with.... well.... with his reflection in a mirror?

From JEN:

Jen's Trial Diaries @TrialDiariesJ · 27s 28 seconds ago
It's looks like when #jodiarias was reppin herself she was trying to get those alleged letters from TA in again
--------------------
FROM DGC: CMJA is such a SNEAK !

And not a very fast learner. Dogged determination hasn't really gotten her anywhere, except (with any luck) death row. Everybody's least favorite creature of habit (emphasis on "creature") just doesn't know when to say when.

My bet is Juan's evidence the letters are forged is just too good or the defense would present them anyway. Strike two on the letters. Jodi can say it's the state withholding evidence all she wants. It's not withholding evidence if the letters come in and he presented an expert to show,they're forged.

@ericksonvision: Defense motion to preclude rebuttal witnesses DENIED. #jodiarias

So now they're trying to sneakily say the state can't put him on because they snuck him in. This is why Jodi didn't want her witnesses interviewed. House of cards, indeed.

Jodi's twisted thought process, if you can call it that: Hey, I know what I'll do! I'll say they can't use any witnesses I haven't been allowed to interview! Juan Smartypants Martinez will never see that coming! Score another point for meeeeeeeee!

Remembering this bit from Day 2 of Jodi's interrogation does actually make me feel kind of bad for everyone who has, or has had, the rotten luck of being on Jodi's defense team. Detective Flores is patiently trying to coax Jodi into telling him anything even remotely true, in particular (at this point) whether or not there was anybody with her when she murdered Travis. She's sticking with the ninja story. The "they" refers to Travis' family. (It's clear Det. Flores doesn't know Jodi very well yet, given that he asks her for a "simple yes or no," and also that he's trying to use her "affection" for her family to persuade her to act like a human being.)

There's a link to the video at the bottom. If you don't feel like subjecting yourself to any more of Jodi's bad acting (yet), it's worth noting that she appears perfectly calm throughout, though she's cranked up the hair-picking (etc) and is noticeably worse for wear after her night in jail. This part starts at about 15:50. (And sorry about any mistakes in my transcription.)

F: It's a simple yes or no. Yes or no Jodi? Look at me. Please. They want to know. Was somebody else there with you?
J: I'm just trying to think.
F: You keep fighting it.
J: (unintelligible) If I just told you every single detail that I know, and I gave you a confession...
F: Nothing else changes. It just speeds up the process.
J: In what way? Do I go to Arizona faster?
F: Yeah. The process in Arizona speeds up.
J: So if I maintain my innocence, then I stay here longer? (unintelligible)
F: No, you don't really stay here longer, it speeds up the process in Arizona.
J: Like the trial and all that jazz?
F: Yeah. Do you want to put your family through a trial? That's another question you have to ask yourself.
J: No. Can I do it all without a trial or does there have to be a trial?
F: It's something you can discuss with the prosecutor.
J: Hm.
F: I'm on the phone with him pretty much every day, giving him updates.
J: What's his name?
F: His name is Juan Martinez. And he's the number one prosecutor in Phoenix. Well at least in my book he is.
J: Hm. (unintelligible)
F: Yes.
J: I wonder if I should just get a lawyer first.
F: That's completely up to you.
J: I know that you can't stay here forever and you need to go back, but if I get one will you be able to still talk to me afterward or does it... everything stop or what?
F: I'll tell you exactly what a lawyer's going to tell you to do. He's going to say, "Nope."
J: "Nope" on what?
F: "No more contact. She had her chance. You had your chance to talk to her. It's over."
J: Well, I mean I just would want his advice, and it doesn't necessarily mean that he, um, that I'm going to take his advice, nor does it mean that, you know...
F: That's completely up to you...
J: ... sitting in a cell somewhere he'd say anything that was going to help (unintelligible)
F: ... I can't advise you either way.

-----------
Here's the whole clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jolY7GrFj-8&index=58&list=UU1xa1oSemBOgyops5B8eRLw

Gah... Still awake. Can someone answer a question I have about the forged letters? I've read that they are copies, but are they photocopies of handwritten letters, copies of letters originally written on a computer, or copies of computer-transcriptions of originally handwritten letters? Have they been judged to be forgeries based on the handwriting or on the language/style? Jodi would have had a lot of examples of both (emails, texts, blog, book drafts, stolen journals, etc). Thanks.

I can't see the judge allowing something this sketchy in. Just letting the attorneys duke it out in court over their legitimacy is not what this retrial is about. Jodi can present any evidence she feels is relevant to her mitigation, but not if it doesn't appear to be legitimate and if it's going to mislead the jury. The emails between Travis and the Hughes' are legitimate. Hearsay, but legitimate. But there's no evidence whatsoever where these letters came from or that Travis wrote them and Jodi has never explained it exactly either. Again, just can't see judge letting in something that doesn't appear to have a legitimate origin.

When the attorneys start duking it out again, we know who's by far the best at the old "bob and weave."

Gah... Still awake. Can someone answer a question I have about the forged letters? I've read that they are copies, but are they photocopies of handwritten letters, copies of letters originally written on a computer, or copies of computer-transcriptions of originally handwritten letters? Have they been judged to be forgeries based on the handwriting or on the language/style? Jodi would have had a lot of examples of both (emails, texts, blog, book drafts, stolen journals, etc). Thanks.

They are copies of the "original" letters. IMHO only, someone took the stolen diaries, cut and pasted the "letters" together, scanned them, and sent them to Jodi. Now, we know Jodi is a pack-rat and saves everything. Why doesn't she have the originals? Because they don't exist. Experts say they need originals to decide if they are legit or not and there simply aren't any.

Even the tabloids gave Mom the cold-shoulder when she tried to peddle them. Wasn't it the Examiner?

They are copies of the "original" letters. IMHO only, someone took the stolen diaries, cut and pasted the "letters" together, scanned them, and sent them to Jodi. Now, we know Jodi is a pack-rat and saves everything. Why doesn't she have the originals? Because they don't exist. Experts say they need originals to decide if they are legit or not and there simply aren't any.

Even the tabloids gave Mom the cold-shoulder when she tried to peddle them. Wasn't it the Examiner?

National Enquirer I think. Funny, I don't think that particular ploy is one my mother would try, but then my family is not the Arias family.

Part of what baffles me about these "letters" is how even a psychopathic narcissist like Jodi could ever have thought that anyone in the world would believe her DIY forgeries were authentic! How can she possibly not realize that forgery is difficult? And that documents submitted as evidence in a trial are actually scrutinized, by smart people, before they actually are entered into evidence? (Rhetorical questions. Jodi behaves like Jodi because she's Jodi.)

National Enquirer I think. Funny, I don't think that particular ploy is one my mother would try, but then my family is not the Arias family.

Part of what baffles me about these "letters" is how even a psychopathic narcissist like Jodi could ever have thought that anyone in the world would believe her DIY forgeries were authentic! How can she possibly not realize that forgery is difficult? And that documents submitted as evidence in a trial are actually scrutinized, by smart people, before they actually are entered into evidence? (Rhetorical questions. Jodi behaves like Jodi because she's Jodi.)

Rhetorical question I know but I do want to answer. :)

Combination of arrogance and stupidity. She can sit in her jail and memorize the thesaurus all she wants but at the end of the day stup!d is as stup!d does.

Rhetorical question I know but I do want to answer. :)

Combination of arrogance and stupidity. She can sit in her jail and memorize the thesaurus all she wants but at the end of the day stup!d is as stup!d does.

When I see her vanity pics, I often think "pretty is as pretty does." Jodi evidently never heard that expression. All the selfies in the world could never save her from herself. (Especially not the less-than-pretty nudes which I'm still not convinced weren't selfies.)

Will there be reporter tweeters once the official trial kicks off on Tuesday?

------
Hi Kensie, I know Jen and Beth will be there. They will be able to tweet. I hope JM. mops the floor up with her this time.

I don't see the same thing when looking at her making those gestures as some of you do. But the one thing that creeped me out about her is how she always always always looked at the autopsy pictures of TA. Sometimes she would even sneakily look at them through the fingers covering her eyes.

She needs to see her "work". It is sick. And it was apparent even during the interogations with detective Flores. "Can I see them? Can I see them soon?". Sick.

I don't see the same thing when looking at her making those gestures as some of you do. But the one thing that creeped me out about her is how she always always always looked at the autopsy pictures of TA. Sometimes she would even sneakily look at them through the fingers covering her eyes.

She needs to see her "work". It is sick. And it was apparent even during the interogations with detective Flores. "Can I see them? Can I see them soon?". Sick.

Who does that? Who would want to look at sick, gorey, bloody pictures of a dead body. The one who is quite satisfied of what she had caused. That's who.

And one more thing of the transcript written up thread. All indications on how she would act through out all proceedings and has.
J: Well, I mean I just would want his advice, and it doesn't necessarily mean that he, um, that I'm going to take his advice, nor does it mean that, you know. And I believe this is why Nurmi has wanted off this case so badly. She is a nightmare.

With all do respect Nail87, what do you think those gestures are? They are just so weird.

If IRCC she said she picked them up at the mall.

OMG YES...the mall! No explanation for how I forgot about pedophile brochures on display in malls all across America with a clear invitation to one and all to "Take One."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamagoldman