Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Realize that Jeff Gold has irritated some by some twitter comments, but I found his online discussion about events of today helpful. There is a small bit in the middle about another case, but then he goes back to JA trial so keep listening. He discusses observations on her demeanor, grouping potential jurists, what we can expect on challenges, the NZ witness, his guess if JSS has to decide LWOP, thoughts on DV victims as jurists and what was behind his comments on her physical appearance . You can find it here: http://www.spreecast.com/events/the-gold-patrol-jodi-tre

This woman does not look like a diminutive waif to me. During the first trial, some people wondered how such a small woman could have "overpowered" Alexander. In the social media pics I've seen of them together (and she seemed very fond of those), she wasn't much shorter than he was. They were close to the same height. And her frame is hardly that of a wilting flower. ETA: Add the weapons.

View attachment 60818

Casey Anthony was physically a little thing. This woman is not petite. She was well-built and strong. Her hands are enormous and we all know what she used them for.

Realize that Jeff Gold has irritated some by some twitter comments, but I found his online discussion about events of today helpful. There is a small bit in the middle about another case, but then he goes back to JA trial so keep listening. He discusses observations on her demeanor, grouping potential jurists, what we can expect on challenges, the NZ witness, his guess if JSS has to decide LWOP, thoughts on DV victims as jurists and what was behind his comments on her physical appearance . You can find it here: http://www.spreecast.com/events/the-gold-patrol-jodi-tre

His sarcasm was lost on some readers, but we're in the new age of trial tweets, I guess. ;-) A lot of reporters will have to adjust. A couple of them, Karas and Lindstrom in particular, seem to be adjusting to the dual demands of speed and coherence.

Maybe I am being too pessimistic, Scorpio that I am, but I have bad feelings about this potential jury so far. It reminds me too much of them trying to find 'clueless' blank slates, like they did in Florida for that other cold blooded killer. The one that's walking free today. :mad:

I am somewhat confused. Does this panel of jurists have to have no prior knowledge of the case? She has already been found guilty, so why would that be necessary? They will only have to decide whether her guilt was cruel enough to warrant life or death, either way behind bars. Just what are the requirements for a jury in this stage of a trial?

IIRC Jodi offered to plea to 2nd degree or manslaughter. With time served, she'd be out in like 5-15 years. Couldn't Jodi get the DP taken off the table of she agreed to be locked up the rest of her natural life? It's what she'll wind up with anyway. Jodi could save the taxpayers MILLIONS $$.

JMO since I really don't know what I'm talking about pretty often.

Give me a break, the killer is saying she "has regrets"? If i just had a week where I heard 100+ people say they think I shoulddie, it would certainly be a humbling experience. The murderess has had a huge dose of reality, something she isn't used to sitting in a cell for 23 hrs only communicating with other like minded adorees who treat the killer like she is the center of the universe. Matter of fact, the killer DOES feel she is entitled, and indeed the center of her own universe. She is absolutely self absorbed. She "regrets" getting caught! Her bubble was burst in the past 10 days, & she will say or do anything she feels will benefit her pathetic self. Hope her ego gets deflated more & more every day. Justice for Travis, who can no longer feel emotions like "happy". Wish she would just go away to Perryville, & the sooner the better.

Maybe I am being too pessimistic, Scorpio that I am, but I have bad feelings about this potential jury so far. It reminds me too much of them trying to find 'clueless' blank slates, like they did in Florida for that other cold blooded killer. The one that's walking free today. :mad:

katy, when I start feeling that way, I just remind myself that she is not going anywhere.. even if she were to receive LWOP... I cannot imagine any parole board ever letting her walk free...

Edited to add that I pray if not DP she receives LWOP...

If I was Juan I would be worried about any of the jurors with past domestic violence. I only worry because I fear they may transpose their situation on top of Jodi's situation and sympathise with her. I fear some people that did not watch the first trial would not realize it was totally unsubstantiated allegations with not 1 bit of evidence to support it.

I wonder about that too. Does it mean they are more likely to empathize with her or more likely to see through her lies? If there are some DV people on the jury, JM will know it and make sure he covers whatever angle will convince them.

Michael K. Jeanes, Clerk of Court
*** Electronically Filed ***
10/08/2014 8:00 AM

10/02/2014

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/102014/m6518733.pdf
-----

Michael K. Jeanes, Clerk of Court
*** Electronically Filed ***
10/08/2014 8:00 AM

10/06/2014

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/102014/m6519689.pdf
-----------------------

Case Documents

Filing Date Description Docket Date Filing Party

10/8/2014 012 - ME: Trial - Party (001) 10/8/2014
10/8/2014 012 - ME: Trial - Party (001) 10/8/2014
10/6/2014 012 - ME: Trial - Party (001) 10/6/2014

https://www.superiorcourt.maricopa....rtCases/caseInfo.asp?caseNumber=CR2008-031021

@TrialDiariesJ: Nurmi is explaining she will just vote life or death and judge makes final decision if life w/ no release or life w/ release #jodiarias

It's good that the jury knows how this works. The only way THEY can ensure she never kills anyone else is to vote for death; otherwise she might get paroled one day if JSS goes soft.

@TrialDiariesJ: Potential juror said she doesn't think released after 25 years is long enough #jodiarias

Even jurors are concerned about the parole thing. A lot of people, including myself, are worried about the chance of parole someday down the line. That is what is so frustrating with the system, that we see time and time again that people somehow get parole, even if they had a life sentence. Sometimes convictions are overturned too many years later, and people get out that way too.

Until our system changes, I am leaning towards the death penalty in this case. If we could ever guarantee no parole, I would lean that way, but I just dont trust the system that she would stay behind bars for life. Therefore, I am forced to lean towards the death penalty. Its unfortunate for me (and her) because a lot of us do have compassion and are not just blood thirsty, its just we dont trust our system to keep her locked up where she belongs.

One more:

@thegoldpatrol
Spreecast at 9PM EST Live from Phoenix. #jodiarias #TeresaGuidice #JoeGiudice @jeffgoldesq @courtchatter @GiGiMcK http://t.co/vKSnMhp9Mz
10/7/14, 4:47 PM

Thinking about tuning in to HLN. I want to be Nancy Grace for Halloween and I need to practice making derisive & unflattering comments and hollering "BOMBSHELL!" and "UNLEASH THE LAWYERS!"

I recommend checking it out. He opens by joking about comments re his tweets. Says as always that CMJA is a liar and a master manipulator. About 3 mins in he explains the comment about her neck. About 11:30 he talks about the mystery NZ witness. About 16:30 he talks about how parole works in AZ if it comes to that - says it's more a clemency thing that's tough to meet rather than what we think of as parole. 20 mins in he switches to RHONJ and 24:30 he switches back to the 59-page motion. 26:30 he talks for a long time about the DV potential jurors and closes with talking about CMJA trying to manipulate male jurors by her looks.

The guests are regulars on his spreecasts. Cathy is courtchatter; Jen is the google glass mom.

I am somewhat confused. Does this panel of jurists have to have no prior knowledge of the case? She has already been found guilty, so why would that be necessary? They will only have to decide whether her guilt was cruel enough to warrant life or death, either way behind bars. Just what are the requirements for a jury in this stage of a trial?

No as to the first question, Spellbound. According to my limited understanding jurors need to accept that Arias is guilty of first-degree murder with the cruelty factor. They need to be able to look at the mitigating and aggravating factors and then decide whether life or death is appropriate. So, jurors who have already made up their minds about life/death sentence cannot be on this jury. They need to go in with open minds but ONLY as it relates to life or death.

I wonder about that too. Does it mean they are more likely to empathize with her or more likely to see through her lies? If there are some DV people on the jury, JM will know it and make sure he covers whatever angle will convince them.

I hope you are right. Juan is usually good about covering all that needs covered.

When I talk with my spouse about this case, she tends to believe its possible some of Jodi's allegations about abuse. She did not follow this case closely at all, and I tried to explain to her that Jodi did not prove that Travis physically abused her. And I tried to explain that any alleged verbal or written abuse through the texts or phone calls most likely was Jodi voluntarily participating in those types of sexual discussions, as was proven on the 1 phone tape where we hear Jodi participating. We also dont know if some of the tape was cut out. Maybe parts where Jodi coerced Travis into participating.

The scary thing to me is my spouse is a good example of someone who did not follow the trial closely and she gets suckered into possibly believing what Jodi was claiming. Hopefully Juan can set the jurors straight.

His sarcasm was lost on some readers, but we're in the new age of trial tweets, I guess. ;-) A lot of reporters will have to adjust. A couple of them, Karas and Lindstrom in particular, seem to be adjusting to the dual demands of speed and coherence.

I too think the tweets will get better over time with practice. As this trial goes on, I expect the tweeting will become better and better. At least I hope so....LOL

Janx... she defintely does not look like a fragile little flower ...
Sorry to hear about your fur baby... they are our babies...

:seeya: Thank You all for the updates and tweets !

JMO but I do think that the tweets from the courtroom were much better than previously.

:D And I do think they read the requests here . . . lol !

Agree. I think the tweeting will become better and better over time. I think they all will get much better at it with practice. At least I hope so....LOL

I also dont mind a little humor thrown in every once in awhile to break up the monotony of it. This jury selection is not the most exciting thing, so I can understand that a lot of humor is being thrown in right now. I think once the actual trial starts, there will be much less humor thrown in.

Deleting another one. I was afraid they all were going through...LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members