Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 19 - Shortest Court Day, EVER

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I'm having a particularly optimistic day then I think May 2015. On a 'Negative Nelly' day I say September 2015. Of course a mistrial is a possibility as well.

I wonder how many members here are going to hang on till the end.

:seeya:

:) I will be here til the end of this "circus" ... can't wait to see the clowns go home !

:) And I will be here AFTER the sentencing etc.

:please: Praying and hoping that Travis will get justice soon, like this year ... it is long overdue !

I'll take Feb 1, that's my happy birthday.

hmmm two posts, guess I wanted to make sure everyone knew when my birthday was :/

Hi Gram :wave: I am a February "baby" myself! Born in the year of 19:silenced:5

The AZ Supreme Court now shows a case number for the appeal. Hopefully AZLawyer can advise, but guessing this means they will hear the case? ETA: or maybe it just means they have received the petition to review?

http://apps.supremecourt.az.gov/aacc/asc/ASCattyindex.htm

It's listed as:
CV -15-0005-PR
Civil Petition for Review - Appeal
KPNX TV et al v HON. STEPHENS/STATE et al

It just means the petition was filed. :)

I think the delays will only get worse because the defense doesn't have anything else. If they had a great mitigation case, they'd want to present it clearly and succinctly and get it to the jury. Instead, we're nearing three months in and about all they've done is present two terrible, endless, "it's all Travis's fault" witnesses.

ITA. . . .DELAY is the only tactic DT has, they are raising every imaginable technical/legal issue they can possibly muster, causing difficulty for Juan and the Court , likely to create confusion, cause error, and/or a mistrial.

ITA. . . .DELAY is the only tactic DT has, they are raising every imaginable technical/legal issue they can possibly muster, causing difficulty for Juan and the Court , likely to create confusion, cause error, and/or a mistrial.

And lose jurors

The bullet casing laying on top of the pool of blood seals that it was last, no way it got in that position by kicking it or moving it around.

I do agree. My brother was shot in the head and lived for 2 hours, but he collapsed immediately and was unresponsive from then on.

There's been some bouncing back and forth between "it's the judge" vs "it's the system" frequently. People like Laurence know how to play the system and it's made to work in the defendant's favor (innocent until proven guilty and so on). So of course there's some of both.

But certainly there are things the judge could be doing despite the limitations in the system.
- She should make the lawyers show some respect by standing to make objections.
- She should kill speaking objections completely. JW especially loves to make speeches.
- She should reject many of the sidebar requests to speed things up. The amount of time wasted on them is tremendous.
- She should polish off more frivolous motions in short order. Sometimes she acts like she has to spend two weeks per motion no matter how obviously stupid it is.
- She needs to realize that Laurence and JW are going to file endless appeals no matter what she does, so she needs to do like the COA told her: just follow the rules and you'll be fine. She doesn't need to invent new rules in the hope that it saves an appeal.

Jodi believed so much in "The Secret" which is thinking ~ you get back what you put out. DP
You're welcome :giggle:

:) I will be here til the end of this "circus" ... can't wait to see the clowns go home !

:please: Praying and hoping that Travis will get justice soon, like this year ... it is long overdue !

I will hang around because I am curious to see what her sentence will be. She maybe sent to Perryville pr death row or she may be stuck in Estrella if there is another mistrial. Sad state of affairs with this case.

Hi Gram :wave: I am a February "baby" myself! Born in the year of 19:silenced:5

Hey Dmacky, my year is 1949, if there are enough February babies here and we all wish for this trial to end in February, maybe our wish will come true :)

I will be here to see what her sentence will be: Perryville, death row, or Estrella (if her team succeeds with getting a mistrial). I know Sheriff Joe would be happy. :(

ETA: double post. Sorry. It just disappeared. :(

JSS, IMO, is treading very cautiously since it is a DP case. The DT is very desperate at this point, and I believe the chips will fall where they may. I am not worried when you look at the foundation of the case. The bottom line is she has been convicted of 1st Degree Murder and was it especially cruel and heinous. At the end of the day, the jury will decide. If there is one left.

While I'm not happy with the delays in this trial, I don't believe JSS is pandering to or is biased in favor of the DT. Not at all. I do think she was unprepared for the magnitude of this case and has made some really bad decisions which we've all gone over ad infinitum. I think Hope4more said it best - she's paralyzed. The DT smell blood in the water, and have used JSS's uncertainty and insecurity with startling alacrity, imo. And I do think she's allowing the guilt phase to be re-addressed.

Regardless of how many roadblocks the DT want to throw up, though, it still is HER courtroom and she can stop/limit their actions. We know she knows the law, and she should also be savvy enough to know when the Court is being manipulated, and assertive enough to shut it down. The judge should never be the reason for a mistrial. I wonder what new end date she gave the jury; is she in jeopardy of missing it once again?

Ack! I just tried to read the article on the computer stuff sitting in the waiting room of the dentist. When I got down to the list of sites I about panicked! Guess the guy sitting next to me got an eye full. He probably thinks I'm deviant now. :eek:

I think I'll wait until I'm at home for that one.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk 2

There's been some bouncing back and forth between "it's the judge" vs "it's the system" frequently.

People like Laurence know how to play the system and it's made to work in the defendant's favor (innocent until proven guilty and so on). So of course there's some of both.

Respectfully Snipped & BBM:

This is JMO, but I have been wondering IF Nurmi has had some "outside" help on this case ?

In other words, I do not believe Nurmi is that smart, and he is certainly not impressive in the courtroom. I wonder IF some of the DP opponents have gave Nurmi suggestions/strategies on issues such as: how to get the DP off the table, how to delay, how to get a mistrial, etc ? Oh, and I don't mean someone like a Baez, who only got lucky with a brainless jury.

Nurmi is up against one of the best prosecutors in the country, and he is certainly NO match for Juan Martinez !

Yet Nurmi has been able to delay this re-trial way past the Dec 18 deadline, got JSS to agree to allow CMJA testify in private which is against the Constitution ... then you have the computer fiasco ... and y'all know all the rest of Nurmi's BS tactics.

And yep, JSS's lack of control of her courtroom has contributed to the problem !

There is no doubt Juan can handle Nurmi and the DT's BS ... but these stunts Nurmi has pulled and will continue to do is totally and completely unfair to Juan !

I am tired of the favoritism that exists in that courtroom for the defense and no consideration for Juan and the Alexander Family !

:gaah:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member