Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning all. At work again, so I will have to check in every so often. I am not sure I can stomach Dr. G. today !!!

Happy Birthday DGC.

I forgot who is making beef stew, but yum!!!!

Get the aspirin and snacks ready. May have to have the hard stuff close by too.

Thanks to the tweet posters.

I don't share what seems to be the prevailing view of DeMarte as best witness ever , brilliant defense destroyer.

I'm thinking of how the jury might view her, not how I do. The following is about style over substance ...

Its telling that the majority of jurors last time around had no problem with LaViolette. I think that was in large part because of her constant overtures to the jury...she made every effort to connect with them, to be folksy without sounding condesending.

DeMarte presents as obviously brilliant, extremely knowledgeable, and mercifully professional. But....at times she can also sound very mechanical, and at other times, not quite like she's talking down to the jury, but close.

The big difference this time is that she presumably won't be challenged by Willmott about BPD behaviors, given that the DT needs DeMarte to make their BPD case for them.

The link to DeMarte's testimony that someone posted a little while ago is a good example of why I think she'll connect. Juan had her walking through concrete examples and she explained them well. The defense experts are usually saying that what fits proves their case, but what doesn't fit they excuse away even if it seems to indicate the polar opposite of what they are saying something else proves. (Recall all the diary nonsense of how "if it's there then it's proof and if it's not then it's also proof because of the law of attraction.) They are also evasive, whereas DeMarte is straightforward with the defense.

Good Morning All!
Let me quick put my beef stew on so I can stay glued:loveyou:

G/morning..

I knew since it was a court day, to fix something simple..easy peasy..

I have beef stew in crock pot lol

G/morning all, wanna thank each and all of you for keeping me in the loop

Hey everyone, Good morning :) It's one of those thanks button not working days :( SO thanks everyone for all your posts and all the tweets. God bless Travis and Travis' family. I really really hope we get to hear from Juan Martinez today!!!!!

I don't recall any of the jurors last time around being impressed with ALV. The only one who seems to have bought into her arguments is Zervakos, who evidently convinced a few of the other jurors. But I don't recall jurors commenting on her style. ALV fakes "folksiness" and easy-going-ness: she is aggressive and condescending, as JM had her demonstrate.

Also, expert witnesses are supposed to be detached and professional; they often have to coach/teach the jury a bit, because they are more knowledgeable than a layperson about the target topic. That's the whole point of an expert witness! ALV and Samuels were very poor examples of "expert" witnesses.

I think intelligent, informed people appreciate Dr. (REAL Dr, earned at a REAL institute of higher learning) Demarte's cool professionalism. Her demeanor on the stand, juxtaposed with each and every "expert" called by the defense, is straightforward and unemotional... as it SHOULD BE. The defense "experts" were uniformly unprofessional, disorganized, emotional and rude. Their qualifications were questionable. They grinned at & oogled the defendant. Samuels gave her gifts. ALV felt it was fine to approach the victim's sister with a flippant remark. So, yes, I think Dr. Demarte is all that and a side of fries! Qualified, professional and poised.

The link to DeMarte's testimony that someone posted a little while ago is a good example of why I think she'll connect. Juan had her walking through concrete examples and she explained them well. The defense experts are usually saying that what fits proves their case, but what doesn't fit they excuse away even if it seems to indicate the polar opposite of what they are saying something else proves. (Recall all the diary nonsense of how "if it's there then it's proof and if it's not then it's also proof because of the law of attraction.) They are also evasive, whereas DeMarte is straightforward with the defense.

All of the above, plus, Dr DeMarte was prepared for her testimony on the stand whereas the defense "experts" failed to bring the needed material/equipment for their testimony. I honestly doubt the jury is going to be impressed with someone being "folksy" when the witness is supposed to be an expert testifying to things of their field of "expertise".

MOO

Good morning everyone! This last break seemed exceptionally long, I'm just raring to get back in the courtroom and get some testimony progress made - please let Geff be short on defense and long on cross. :)

For RicksawFan Thank you friend, I am not sure which one you want,

post about Dr. De Marte ( a lot of clips in that one )

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-1-15-thru-1-20-Break&p=11407650#post11407650

Here is the one with the long, interesting interview Tricia did with Chris Hughes

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-1-15-thru-1-20-Break&p=11403401#post11403401

Here is the compilation of the juror interviews

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-1-15-thru-1-20-Break&p=11403670#post11403670

The best of video and Juan quotes

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-1-15-thru-1-20-Break&p=11396216#post11396216

People tell on themselves

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-1-15-thru-1-20-Break&p=11395819#post11395819

Where Nurmi went wrong. It all started with the gas cans

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-1-15-thru-1-20-Break&p=11396184#post11396184

If Jodi Arias does not get the dp, don't think of it as the family lost. WE WON with Murder One!

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-1-15-thru-1-20-Break&p=11405366#post11405366

I wish I could write short concise replies rather than blog every answer.

:Happybirthday: dgc. Court might not be wonderful today, but I hope your evening is! :partyguy:

Is it finally Juan's turn with Dr. G or does Jenny have more questions for him?? It has been a month since Dr. G. last testified.

I don't recall any of the jurors last time around being impressed with ALV. The only one who seems to have bought into her arguments is Zervakos, who evidently convinced a few of the other jurors. But I don't recall jurors commenting on her style. ALV fakes "folksiness" and easy-going-ness: she is aggressive and condescending, as JM had her demonstrate.

Also, expert witnesses are supposed to be detached and professional; they often have to coach/teach the jury a bit, because they are more knowledgeable than a layperson about the target topic. That's the whole point of an expert witness! ALV and Samuels were very poor examples of "expert" witnesses.

Mr. Z didn't have to buy into her testimony, IMO. He was never going to vote DP, and seemingly wouldn't have even voted her guilty if he'd had other like-minded jurors to rally around his cause.

As for the other jurors. It was the absence of criticism of LaVa that was telling. Very few if any WS's could abide her. No final juror that I've heard on the record expressed any such like opinion of her.

I get what a good expert witness is supposed to do. Its possible, though, to be completely professional AND approachable to the jury.

DeMarte's job this time around is different and IMO even more important. She needs to convince the jury that although JA has BPD - in lay terms, something about that girl isn't quite right, it is equally true that BPD is not a mental illness, that it doesn't make one violent, that given the 1,000 mile distance more than BPD was involved in why she chose to murder Travis. In short, yes BPD, but no, not mitigating.

Assuming jurors don't buy into the DT's stealth argument that Travis deserved to die, JA's psychological problems or lack of are key to determining whether or not she deserves mercy. DeMarte needs to be really really good to squelch any notions of pity.

Is it finally Juan's turn with Dr. G or does Jenny have more questions for him?? It has been a month since Dr. G. last testified.

I don't think Jen is quite finished yet, Kensie.

i am fairly new on this site, and just want to say thanks to everyone for all the great info, and the time you take to post it. i came on yesterday to catch up, and ended up spending hours reading through all the posts. had to literally tell myself " you GOTTA get off here" thanks to all!

It was evident that DeMarte's testimony really got under Jodi's skin.
Here was a 32 year old woman (Jodi's age) who had accomplished things. College! Jodi had demeaned her mother for not reading books while she herself was a high school dropout. DeMarte read lots of books. This pretty, accomplished woman was given access to Jodi's private world. Interviewed people who knew her. Then she got up on the stand and told the courtroom and the TV viewers what an empty fraud this murderer is. Jodi's "reputation" went down in flames and you could see her hatred for Dr. DeMarte.

I so agree! JA believes she can convince anyone of whatever lie she tells, and is realizing it did not work with DeMarte. Of course, it is DeMarte's fault that she "misunderstood" poor JA. Jealousy and betrayed.

LOL. The fact they went with "Self defense" the first time around was, looking back now, such a stupid move. Did they really believe that had a chance in hell?

Must have been due to ineffective counsel. :innocent: Those who participated overnight will understand. :angel:

i am fairly new on this site, and just want to say thanks to everyone for all the great info, and the time you take to post it. i came on yesterday to catch up, and ended up spending hours reading through all the posts. had to literally tell myself " you GOTTA get off here" thanks to all!

Hello lo and welcome, loveschows! :Welcome1:

Officially he's still on direct.

All of the above, plus, Dr DeMarte was prepared for her testimony on the stand whereas the defense "experts" failed to bring the needed material/equipment for their testimony. I honestly doubt the jury is going to be impressed with someone being "folksy" when the witness is supposed to be an expert testifying to things of their field of "expertise".

MOO

Plus she doesn't spill carp all over her materials!

Cross examination of Dr. Bruce Geffner by Juan Martinez from original trial. Juan comes out guns a blazin' as my Gram used to say "The trial court said you were nothin' more than a hired gun. Your testimony was COMPLETELY without merit. Right?!!!" He was fired up!

http://youtu.be/Avu_sqipSWo?t=52m45s

Mr. Z didn't have to buy into her testimony, IMO. He was never going to vote DP, and seemingly wouldn't have even voted her guilty if he'd had other like-minded jurors to rally around his cause.

As for the other jurors. It was the absence of criticism of LaVa that was telling. Very few if any WS's could abide her. No final juror that I've heard on the record expressed any such like opinion of her.

I get what a good expert witness is supposed to do. Its possible, though, to be completely professional AND approachable to the jury.

DeMarte's job this time around is different and IMO even more important. She needs to convince the jury that although JA has BPD - in lay terms, something about that girl isn't quite right, it is equally true that BPD is not a mental illness, that it doesn't make one violent, that given the 1,000 mile distance more than BPD was involved in why she chose to murder Travis. In short, yes BPD, but no, not mitigating.

Assuming jurors don't buy into the DT's stealth argument that Travis deserved to die, JA's psychological problems or lack of are key to determining whether or not she deserves mercy. DeMarte needs to be really really good to squelch any notions of pity.

Hey, hey, the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Remember that most of what we heard from the jurors was soundbites and their response to media questions. The focus during those interviews was mostly on Jodi Arias.

But regarding Dr. Marte, I don't really have an opinion one way or another on how she was perceived. It would be purely speculation. Some people prefer "folksy" people. I remember the foreperson saying JM was condescending towards them during his closing while I didn't get that feeling at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid