Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet Arizona has put women on Death Row before 3x, and one of them by Juan-Wendy Andriano!!! Also white & Female, not old.

True, but I bet if we researched the crimes females have done in Arizona and the manner in which they have done them.......we would find that the majority never got the death penalty even when asked by the state. Not even when their crimes were similar or much worse than some of the men sitting on Az.'s death row.

So there are three women on death row there or is it only two now and how many men in Arizona are on death row?

It is very well known that females do not get death very often, and they don't even get the same amount of time to serve as men do for the same kind of crime. Iirc, I read a stat that said men will serve at least 17 1/2 years for murder while females serve on average , 7-10 years or less.

The jury foreman last time said he believed Travis abused her. That would not happen nor would it have even been considered if the defendant had been a male. Even if the defendant said his victim had abused him.

So I still feel if she is not given the DP it will be more about her being a female than anything else.

JMO though............

Your post has me wondering if the first jury would have handed down a death penalty if they had heard all the testimony that we have in this penalty phase retrial!

If not for Zervakos.

He remains hopelessly smitten with her.

Who knows what he would have been fantasizing as "Cougarluscious [sic]" came in tight to console the murderess today?

Here's a redline of the most recent revisions:

http://www.azbar.org/media/58847/3-capital_case_instructions_revised_2013.pdf

Instructions for this phase begin on p. 30. The jury does not get to see all the little "notes" and case citations, though, and anything that is clearly irrelevant based on the evidence presented will be removed.

Thank you, AZL. I'll be referring back to this document frequently for the duration.

So far, from what I've read, my 1 personal mitigating factor of " I just want her to go away and not have a cheering squad fighting tirelessly to save her pathetic life" doesn't hold water when I'm instructed to weigh it against the aggravation of cruelty.

If the jury is going to find mitigation they are going to have to find it themselves because the DT isn't proving any. They need to drop "the fog" first and foremost. She will never convince anybody that she is really sorry so long as she won't even admit to what she has done. IMO as long as she keeps up that unrealistic lie she will never own it. Without owning it, I'll never believe she has any regret. And then she needs to come clean about the abuse and pedo lies.

Since I'm already over the fence, might as well type out some of my other thoughts that have been bugging me today.

Michael Kiefer ‏@michaelbkiefer 37s37 seconds ago
Borderlines can keep emotions inside and then explode violently, DeMarte says.

Does the anger associated with the Borderline Personality Disorder, could it be so extreme, that it could have contributed to how she was able to slaughter him like that? Yes I know that having BPD doesn't automatically mean you're going to kill. But when you do kill, does BPD make the killing more anger-filled in a sense?

Here is the problem I am having with this line of reasoning. Some are talking as though BPD 'forces' someone into committing certain actions.

I think it is more complicated than that. BPD is diagnosed by looking at certain actions, AND THEN it is decided that the person has BPD [ or whatever dx] So FIRST, we look at the evil actions of JA, and the horrible responses to her own deeds, and we say ' she has BPD.' But does it mean she has NO self control nor no need for personal responsibility? I don't think so.

I am not going to give a set of symptoms that leads to a diagnosis, the POWER to lead and control someone fully. A diagnosis is an explanation, and not a justification. Plenty of people have been diagnosed with BPD. They do not get absolved of all sins because of the diagnosis. JMO

Well of course I'm confused, so Borderline Personality is a mental illness, (I think) so I always believed the mentally Ill could not be put to death, or even be put on trial for whatever it is they have done. Could someone explain this to me. I think I understood Dr. DeMarte said the murderer has Borderline Personality, I could be mistaken

That is what she did say..........a disorder and she is not mentally ill.

If she truly was mentally ill by judicial standards they couldn't have asked for the death penalty.

Lots of inmates sit on death row with some type of personality disorder of some kind.

And we did one of the Texas seven this evening. Four down - three more to go. it's been fourteen years since the escaped and killed an Irving police officer . He had fifty four major infractions in those fourteen years and extra guards were on hand. They didn't know what he'd pull.

Dallas Morning News

A man who was in a group of seven inmates behind one of the biggest prison escapes in Texas history is set to be executed on Wednesday for taking part in the murder of a suburban Dallas police officer on Christmas Eve 2000.

Donald Newbury, 52, is set to be executed by lethal injection at the state's death chamber in Huntsville at 6 p.m. CST. If the execution goes ahead, it will be the 521st in Texas, the most of any state since the U.S. Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

Newbury was part of what was known as the "Texas Seven," a group that overpowered 14 prison employees, tied them up and then broke out of the Connally Unit, about 60 miles southeast of San Antonio.

Group members then went on a crime spree for the next several weeks that included the armed robbery of a sporting goods store in the Dallas suburb of Irving.

Irving Police Officer Aubrey Hawkins, who had just finished a Christmas Eve dinner with his family, pulled up to the store in response to a call of suspicious activity. He was shot in his vehicle, pulled out of the car and shot again repeatedly, dying on the pavement, court papers said.

The group then fled to Colorado, where its members were eventually apprehended. One member of the group committed suicide rather than be captured.

This was a scarry time! DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS !!!

BPD schmeepeedee...

Who stole Grandpa's gun?

Who planned the murderous road trip?

Murder, cover-up, lies, character assassinations ad infinitum...

She hopes we'll all give up. Okay, Jodi. You win.

Well, I'm giving the jury more credit than that -- unless and until they prove me wrong.

Pray that these are not the Pinellas County 12.

Maricopa County has already returned its guilty verdict.

I pray that they finish the job.

Feb. 4, 2015 is a day I absolutely want to see footage of. I hope they have cameras on her the whole time too.

Well of course I'm confused, so Borderline Personality is a mental illness, (I think) so I always believed the mentally Ill could not be put to death, or even be put on trial for whatever it is they have done. Could someone explain this to me. I think I understood Dr. DeMarte said the murderer has Borderline Personality, I could be mistaken

It is not a mental illness. It is a 'Personality Disorder.' It is not like schizophrenia, where one might her voices and have hallucinations, and be in a full blown psychotic state.

It is a disorder, and does not prevent one from being sent to Death Row.

BBM. I feel the same way about the Malamutes that ganged up to pull down my Lab.
--------------
Hi LinasK, how is little MonaLou ? I remember your poor baby going through he(( after that.
I hope she is doing well now..:beagle:

Yes, I think that would be OK.

But "devaluing" as Dr. D is explaining it doesn't mean making up things about others. It means seeing others in a bad light. So starting to think Travis was thoughtless and arrogant instead of desirable and smart would be BPD "devaluing." Telling people he's a pedo is something else entirely.

Sorry this is so far behind but I just felt compelled to point out that when JA first started to devalue TA, according to her journals, seemed to me to be about the same time she realized that although he had "potential", he didn't yet have the pot of gold that she had initially thought she'd be able to siphon from. In fact, she was expected to not only pay her own share for all the extracurricular activities and *gasp* work hard to earn the passive income she had joined PPL for, but to even pay back any money she'd borrowed.

BK points out that it was exactly 2 years ago today that JA took the stand in first trial.

And for the detail oriented....it was in the very beginning of the Darryl -JA saga that he told her no commitment, but she harassed and emotionally bullied him until he relented. That was the beginning of their 5 year perfectly happy loving normal relationship.

Juan asked her if BPD was a mental illness and she said some call it that but it's a personal tiy disorder. It sounds like she was making a distinction between the two things.

She absolutely was because there is most definitely a difference. Whether it be now or in JM's closing argument, the state will make all the necessary connections to understand why this is important for the jury to know.

Jen's Trial Diaries ‏@TrialDiariesJ 1m1 minute ago Phoenix, AZ
JA- Oh yeah I have it, I will explain, don't be mad, I'm sure it caused u stress. Please don't worry
TA- I'm not mad, don't worry #jodiarias

---
What a mean *advertiser censored*!

I am way behind but find this very interesting! I don't think we knew before that she admitted to taking the ring and she claims she can explain?! How can you explain taking something that doesn't belong to you and without permission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734