Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine any of what Nurmi's doing is helping the defense much. I'm sure more than one juror is already pretty disgusted at this.

Obviously, Nurmi has to outline and highlight Travis' flaws and there are times when he's done an okay job of it. But there's a point where you're going too far and not just hurting the victims but your case, as well. Nurmi does not need to do this to establish his case. For instance, he made good points when he was saying there was no evidence Travis got a restraining order or saying that Travis was a seemingly willing participant in the sex. But that's where you stop and walk away. He's doing a very bad job in that he continues to dig and dig and dig trying to portray the victim as a bad man who didn't follow Mormon code and did terrible things. At some point the jury clues in that this is a mud slinging fest. That's why I'm not too worried. Anyone with a semblance of common sense can see what is happening here. All they have are insinuations and judgments.

Also, she has been convicted and the jury knows this. So there is a different lens they are looking through now. If I was a juror, I'd be thinking, okay, so this stuff came in in her trial and she was still convicted and she's still up for the death penalty? It must not have been too convincing in the end. Let's see what the prosecutor has to say.

She would fare far better if she had gone a totally different route. She could have talked about her dysfunctional childhood, father punching her, past boyfriends being emotionally abusive, etc etc...then she meets a powerful, charismatic man and falls totally in love. When he forsakes her, she snaps, and is NOW full of pain and remorse ....PEOPLE COULD MAYBE BUY THAT. But bashing and degrading her victim is not the way to go if she wants to be shown mercy, imo. :no:

This is what JA wants. She would rather get the death penalty while slandering Travis and all her 'enemies' than get life while admitting that she did do wrong. I've met people who seem to be just love and light through and through. Now I've finally see a human being who is full of evil. There is not a kind/decent/compassionate bone in her body. I bet she is giddy with pleasure with what Nurmi is attempting to do.

I believe she's up for reelection in 2016. I imagine presiding over Stabby Einsteins being convicted and taken away to die in jail will be a feather in her cap. :behindbar

I'm worried sick that if the jury hangs on this, and Judge Stephens ends up sentencing her, she will give her life with the chance of parole. This judge seems to actually sympathize with Jodi and Nurmi, and for the life of me I can't figure out why that would be.

@TrialDiariesJ: Nurmi asked Flores if he's a love and sex expert? Flores states NO #jodiarias #3tvarias

@NancyGraceHLN: Nurmi to Flores: You're writing a book about this aren't you? Flores: Absolutely not. That's offensive. #JodiArias

He's confusing him with Chris Hughes.

I'm worried sick that if the jury hangs on this, and Judge Stephens ends up sentencing her, she will give her life with the chance of parole. This judge seems to actually sympathize with Jodi and Nurmi, and for the life of me I can't figure out why that would be.

Isn't this the first true adult case that the Judge has dealt with? That would explain a lot to me.

Sorry AZlawyer. I have to disagree with you. You can tell me all week long that this is fine under AZ law. But I can tell you right back that this is reprehensible. And since you have 12 jurors listening then yes, NK may sway just one of them. The judge should never have allowed it. They are bashing the victim and I have no respect for them for doing so SINCE JODI WAS FOUND GUILTY OF FIRST DEGREE MURDER.

I agree, Curious. My opinion of this judge is not a good one and my opinion is my right. I'm not calling her any obscene names or anything. Just stating my opinion! We are not talking about innocence here, JA has already been found guilty. This afternoon has been nothing but a smear-fest by the defense, IMO. I've never seen anything like it in my life and I have seen a lot of trials. I've also never seen a judge like this either. Nurmi would have been shut down on most of this in my area, IMO.

I am going to shut up now but I have no respect for the defense team OR the judge.

MOO

@TrialDiariesJ: Juan- Did you have sex with #jodiarias Flores...No #3tvarias

@NancyGraceHLN: Martinez is very animated; jury looks alert #JodiArias

ONE of only a hand full that didn't :giggle:

I have 110% confidence she will not give her a possibility of parole.

She doesn't. She just obviously does not. She rules against the defense almost every single time.

She would fare far better if she had gone a totally different route. She could have talked about her dysfunctional childhood, father punching her, past boyfriends being emotionally abusive, etc etc...then she meets a powerful, charismatic man and falls totally in love. When he forsakes her, she snaps, and is NOW full of pain and remorse ....PEOPLE COULD MAYBE BUY THAT. But bashing and degrading her victim is not the way to go if she wants to be shown mercy, imo. :no:

Sounds like a much better plan. The problem is she is Jodi Arias, and Jodi Arias does not take responsibility for or own anything she has done. It is not in her character to do so. It is probably something her attorneys suggested and she would not have it. She wanted a deal and threatened the prosecutor what she would do if she didn't get it. And when she didn't get it, she followed through. As a narcissist she is not capable of seeing that others will not be on her side, no matter what. She really believed no jury would ever convict her.

And furthermore, abuse and pedophilia are hot topics and prevalent in society. She and her attorneys really thought they had a chance with one or the other--so decided to go with both for good measure. And Mr. Zervakos bought it, didn't he?

JMO.

@TrialDiariesJ: In a text from Travis to #jodiarias on NYD says he states he loves her #3tvarias

Isn't this the first true adult case that the Judge has dealt with? That would explain a lot to me.

No. She's rotated between juvenile and criminal every 3 years during her 13 years so far on the bench. Before that she was a prosecutor for 20 years.

@TrialDiariesJ: Juan- Did #jodiarias have 2 orgasms on call? Flores Yes. Did Travis have one? Yes. Mic drop Juan is done . We are on a break #3tvarias

Hehehe, JA's 2 fake orgasms might count against her with the death penalty on the line? Serves her right.....

why is the judge allowing all this testimony, this is the penalty phase

@TrialDiariesJ: In another text in March of 2008 Travis says he loves #jodiarias #3tvarias

Well, in this case, the plaintiff is the State of Arizona, and the defendant is...yeah, that's right.

I'd rather not be her under any circumstances. Or have to even see her in person.

I understand the positions in this case. If the defense can say garbage and plaintiff can't ( has to have substantiated proof) then which side is the better side to be on ??? Maybe not in this case but others.

Not just AZ law--all US law. Now, I happen to agree with you that it's a reprehensible and disgusting defense. I would never be able to follow through with it myself. But the judge is not allowed to stop them from doing it.

AZlawyer, I apologize for seemingly attacking you. I didn't mean it. I am furious with KN and I don't understand the legal process of how he can slander the victim. It just seems like he is a worthless to do so. Just my opinion. And it seems like JSS should call him out on it at sidebar like you would a criminal. Again, just my opinion. I am sorry to everyone at WS for attacking JSS but right now I don't like her much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela