Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ashley Jordan ‏@acjmakeup 2m2 minutes ago
This jury hasn't seen Jodi on the stand for 18 days. I think defense using closed court to try to make #JodiArias seem more weak and timid

I wonder if JSS has to give or gave the jury an explanation for closing the court to the media and public? If not, I wonder what jurors are thinking?

Could he have objected in a private sidebar/sealed or would have to have been in front of the court?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

The only thing I saw about Juan was that he did not want a stay in the proceedings. He said the Alexander family has waited long enough for this to be concluded.
The family has been dealing with the justice system to do its work since 2008!

Not sure if Juan has commented on the secrecy aspect....the media atty seemed to want to reassure Juan/Alexander family that they were only asking for a stay on this witness and others could be called until appeal is decided...not a stay of entire penalty phase.

If there isn't another stealth juror on this particular case (and I do believe the Foreman was one) then this decision shouldn't be hard.

If the jurors truly told the truth and can apply the death penalty if it is warranted in this case then they should recommend she be put to death.

The decision that death is the appropriate and just punishment should be based on these factors. 1) The planning and aforethought that went into the premeditation before it was carried out. 2) The cruel and heinous sub-human nature in which the defendant murdered the victim. 3) The aftermath where the defendant not only hasn't shown one bit of remorse but has also told countless lies to re-victimize the victim for their own personal gain.

What should be excluded, imo. is the gender of the murderer and even the gender of her victim. The premeditation/crime/ and what she has done afterwards should only be weighed when coming to a decision.

I have seen other death penalty cases that didn't have nearly this much solid evidence in it and death was given. There is no need for a confession when the insurmountable evidence shows guilt beyond all doubt as it does in this case. The only reason JA finally had to admit she killed Travis is she couldn't refute the evidence showing she did. Until then it was 'you need to look at the roommate' 'I wasn't there' 'the ninjas did it' and then on to 'Travis made me do it.' She changed her story because she knew the evidence showed she indeed was the guilty one.

I have been on a jury that was a death penalty case and when I was asked if the evidence supported death could I consider it and I truly meant what I said when I told them that I could. I would never ever lie to the court knowing all along I couldn't vote a verdict of death if it was supported by evidence, and not one of my fellow jurors, lied either.

So if these jurors are also honest and look at the aggravating factors in this case they will know hands down the aggravating factors far outweigh any foolish mitigating factors trumped up by JA and the DT.

In fact, imo, personally, I have seen that juries don't like it when the defendant doesn't take full responsibility for their own actions but instead tries to make excuses why they did such a hideous thing to another human being. What we do see if the defendant is a female that excuse is tried in just about every case. It is like females in the justice system have a tattoo on their butt that says 'oh don't forget the abuse excuse.' Gahh, I am so sick of it. None of this would even be brought up if she was a male defendant and over 750K men a year call 911 because they were being abused by a female domestic partner. Just like Travis should have called and reported his abuser and stalker but men are the least likely to report DV when the predator is a female.

The thing the jury needs to keep in mind, and any DV expert will say this, the last thing an abused victim will do is travel 1000 miles to be with the abuser that is no longer around them. When someone is really abused when the abuser either moves away or the victim does is the first sigh of relief they have had during the entire abusive relationship.

But what they also need to keep in mind is when a truly abused victim (Travis) finally gets to the point they cant take the abuse any longer and tells their abuser to leave them the hell alone it is the most dangerous time in that victim's life. Travis is proof of what can and does happen when they finally have the courage to tell their victimizer 'no more' and 6 days later Travis Alexander was slaughtered.... just like so many victims of DV have been and will be in the future.:(

Well said OBE- your final line (BBM) really says it all!

AZLawyer, sorry, it's probably going to be a busy day for you!

Question - what difference is there between the DT accusing Ms. Flores of releasing sealed material on SM as prosecutorial misconduct, and the Arias family and justus4usall releasing the supposed secret witness name? TIA

EBM: to clarify, does the prosecution have any recourse here?

My 2 cents...

JA is going to do anything and everything she can to delay her sentencing. She is very comfortable in the jail facility where she is and does not want to move to the real prison. She needs to get the DP, other wise she'll be living it up behind bars. Death row inmates are not given the luxuries the other prisoners have (e.g. conjugal visits, book clubs, recycling programs etc..). Even if she lives the rest of her life in prison (instead of electric chair), IMO, she needs to do it on death row (there needs to be another option, like, LWOP with all the restrictions of death row inmates).

Regarding Nurmi's statement about DT's representation being scrutinized.... it's a little late don't you think? Let's just take the death penalty off the table for all violent sick killers to protect the reputation of defense attorneys. Give me a break. Besides, JM has been scrutinized since day 1 of the first trial, and the DT has made sure of it.

Question... if something happens during the retrial that actually leads to a mistrial... does that only affect the retrial? or does it affect the conviction also? TIA

MOO

http://ktar.com/305/1779708/Legal-insanity-in-the-Jodi-Arias-retrial

The media has a great argument but, unfortunately, Judge Stephens might have the law on her side.

But....

FOX 10's Troy Hayden tweeted the mystery witness was Arias herself. If so, the argument above doesn't hold water. Arias herself can't be scared for her life and she doesn't have a business, so having the media/public in the courtroom during her testimony would not be dangerous to her right to a fair trial.

I can't think of a rock solid argument Arias could make to keep the media out if it is her testifying. Steps have already been taken to protect her, such as, no broadcasting until after the verdict and continuous reminders

Not a lawyer, but I'm pretty certain it would just affect the retrial- the other ship has sailed. She IS a convicted murderer. Unless she wins on appeal of THAT trial.

Dave Erickson ‏@ericksonvision 4m4 minutes ago
Media could be stuck in the hallway today at the #JodiArias trial. I'm bringing a board game. Gonna clean up... I'm a Parcheesi hustler.

Jeffrey Evan Gold ‏@jeffgoldesq 18m18 minutes ago

Her Majesty Queen #JodiArias of Maracopa will be holding High Tea with her jurors today at 9:30amAZT. You are cordially NOT invited.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

LOL ... "her majesty" the :dramaqueen:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

LOL ... "her majesty" the :dramaqueen:

Drama queen is more like it. Just LOOKING at her is exhausting. I don't know how Travis put up with her. A member mentioned the other day that she/he doesn't 'hate' Arias. How I wish I could say the same. I'm revolted by her and I have to admit that I hate her. And it is personal.

Please do not link to blogs that have a donation button on the site.

Thanks, Lambchop

:cheers:
Our clocks went back in October so I think it will be an hour earlier than usual for us here in the UK.

OT, love your avatar! I was a Peterborough United fan, not nearly in the same league, but I lived there, so had to be loyal! :seeya: :cheers:

This witness only appears to be compelling because their identity is being withheld. Big yawwwwwn.

I bet once we eventually learn who it is it will be like, "oh whatever..."

This whole phase of the trial is anti-climactic: The defendant will either be at Perryville prison for the rest of her life OR she'll be at Perryville prison for the rest of her life with free appeals.

It must not be as easy as we think. She already spent one jury.

I wish it were that easy. Unfortunately everyone isn't as quick to hand out the DP as I would be in a case where confession is involved.

Don't forget, though, that her confession was based on her assertion that she was defending herself from a naked guy in the shower (and in spite of the fact that he is a man who is bigger and stronger than she, she wasn't hurt by him at all!)

This witness only appears to be compelling because their identity is being withheld. Big yawwwwwn.

This whole phase of the trial is anti-climactic: The defendant will either be at Perryville prison for the rest of her life OR she'll be at Perryville prison for the rest of her life with free appeals.

Yep. Martinez doesn't seem too worried about it. :cool:

http://ktar.com/305/1779708/Legal-insanity-in-the-Jodi-Arias-retrial

The media has a great argument but, unfortunately, Judge Stephens might have the law on her side.

But....
FOX 10's Troy Hayden tweeted the mystery witness was Arias herself. If so, the argument above doesn't hold water. Arias herself can't be scared for her life and she doesn't have a business, so having the media/public in the courtroom during her testimony would not be dangerous to her right to a fair trial.

I can't think of a rock solid argument Arias could make to keep the media out if it is her testifying. Steps have already been taken to protect her, such as, no broadcasting until after the verdict and continuous reminders

From the above link:

Arizona Rules of Criminal Procedure Rule 9.3(b) states:

"All proceedings shall be open to the public, including representatives of the news media, unless the court finds, upon application of the defendant, that an open proceeding presents a clear and present danger to the defendant's right to a fair trial by an impartial jury."

"Judge, defense witness X's testimony is essential to Jodi Arias' defense but they are scared for their lives/business and will not testify with the media/public in the courtroom. As such, Arias' right to a fair trial by an impartial jury is in extreme danger. Therefore, defense moves the court to kick everyone out."

BBM: Questions:

- Wouldn't the defense need to PROVE this ?

- What type of PROOF is necessary for such a ruling ?

- HOW would a defense witness for CMJA PROVE that they are "scared for the lives " -- besides all the carp on social media ?

:gaah:

JMO but I think it is a bunch of bulldinky that the witness is "scared for their life" ... suck it up !

:moo:

If there isn't another stealth juror on this particular case (and I do believe the Foreman was one) then this decision shouldn't be hard.

If the jurors truly told the truth and can apply the death penalty if it is warranted in this case then they should recommend she be put to death.

The decision that death is the appropriate and just punishment should be based on these factors. 1) The planning and aforethought that went into the premeditation before it was carried out. 2) The cruel and heinous sub-human nature in which the defendant murdered the victim. 3) The aftermath where the defendant not only hasn't shown one bit of remorse but has also told countless lies to re-victimize the victim for their own personal gain.

What should be excluded, imo. is the gender of the murderer and even the gender of her victim. The premeditation/crime/ and what she has done afterwards should only be weighed when coming to a decision.

I have seen other death penalty cases that didn't have nearly this much solid evidence in it and death was given. There is no need for a confession when the insurmountable evidence shows guilt beyond all doubt as it does in this case. The only reason JA finally had to admit she killed Travis is she couldn't refute the evidence showing she did. Until then it was 'you need to look at the roommate' 'I wasn't there' 'the ninjas did it' and then on to 'Travis made me do it.' She changed her story because she knew the evidence showed she indeed was the guilty one.

I have been on a jury that was a death penalty case and when I was asked if the evidence supported death could I consider it and I truly meant what I said when I told them that I could. I would never ever lie to the court knowing all along I couldn't vote a verdict of death if it was supported by evidence, and not one of my fellow jurors, lied either.

So if these jurors are also honest and look at the aggravating factors in this case they will know hands down the aggravating factors far outweigh any foolish mitigating factors trumped up by JA and the DT.

In fact, imo, personally, I have seen that juries don't like it when the defendant doesn't take full responsibility for their own actions but instead tries to make excuses why they did such a hideous thing to another human being. What we do see if the defendant is a female that excuse is tried in just about every case. It is like females in the justice system have a tattoo on their butt that says 'oh don't forget the abuse excuse.' Gahh, I am so sick of it. None of this would even be brought up if she was a male defendant and over 750K men a year call 911 because they were being abused by a female domestic partner. Just like Travis should have called and reported his abuser and stalker but men are the least likely to report DV when the predator is a female.

The thing the jury needs to keep in mind, and any DV expert will say this, the last thing an abused victim will do is travel 1000 miles to be with the abuser that is no longer around them. When someone is really abused when the abuser either moves away or the victim does is the first sigh of relief they have had during the entire abusive relationship.

But what they also need to keep in mind is when a truly abused victim (Travis) finally gets to the point they cant take the abuse any longer and tells their abuser to leave them the hell alone it is the most dangerous time in that victim's life. Travis is proof of what can and does happen when they finally have the courage to tell their victimizer 'no more' and 6 days later Travis Alexander was slaughtered.... just like so many victims of DV have been and will be in the future.:(

As usual, oce, you put it so eloquently! I went to bed last night thinking about all Travis' horrific wounds, and how the defendant had nary a scratch on her. I would have to vote DP in this case, I think.

I edited my post to add the two tweets I saw, JM did object but it's really neither here nor there as JSS denied the stay motion. I do think as an emergency appeal the court will hear it soon, where did the 25th date come from, do you know?

I think AZL said this date is like a form letter, it's kinda automatic, but that the date could be moved up by the court to be heard immediately. We should know more today. I also think I read 2 of the appeals judges are on the ballot in tomorrow's elections.

If she gets death it certainly wont be anti-climatic for me or for the Alexander family who has waited for 6 long years.

From what I have read if she gets death the State of Arizona pays for the first appeal........then she is on her own.

Maybe AZL can clear that up.

imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members