Retrieving wreckage from AirAsia Flight To Singapore- no survivors recovered

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
• One interesting fact extracted from the autopsies of the crash victims is that there were no signs of burns on any bodies. Just fractures, bruising and blunt trauma. What does this mean? The plane probably didn't explode and likely hit the water in one piece. While unlikely, it's possible some could have survived the crash, and if they did, could have lasted as long as 12 hours in the 80 degree waters of Tasil Point.

The jet fell at a rate of 10,000 feet a minute, or roughly 15 stories a second.

extreme inputs to their flight controls and the engines spooling up to full power and later the thrust levers being pulled back to idle. At one point, according to the report, both pilots sitting in front of the controls tried to put in simultaneous commands. The plane only accepts one of them.

Interestingly, with the aircraft nose up 40 degrees I'm curious how the Captain even got back into the cockpit. Couldn't have been easy.
http://jalopnik.com/5799544/8-captivating-facts-about-the-air-france-flight-447-mystery

Pivot tubes:
The pitot probes on Flight 447 were even more vulnerable than most in conditions like those at Tasil Point. They were produced by a French company, Thales, and the model was known as AA. In the years leading up to the crash of Flight 447, the Thales AA was problematic in places where the meteorological conditions do funny things with water. At high altitude and low temperatures, water sometimes doesn’t freeze. Instead, it hovers, but as soon as something solid — like a pitot tube — flies through it, the water flash-freezes to form ice. Until heaters can melt the ice, the pitot probes are out.
This could happen to any kind of pitot probe, but by the summer of 2009, the problem of icing on the Thales AA was known to be especially common. Why the probes were still in use is a contentious question, but here is what we know for sure: Between 2003 and 2008, there were at least 17 cases in which the Thales AA had problems on the Airbus A330 and its sister plane, the A340.

In response, Air France’s official policy was to replace the AA pitots on its A330 planes “only when a failure occurred.” In August 2008, executives at Air France asked Airbus for proof that the BA pitots worked better in ice, and faced with the question, Airbus conceded that it did not have proof. So it removed the claim from the service bulletin. Another five months passed.

During that time, another airline, Air Caraïbes, experienced two close calls with the Thales AA on its Airbus A330s. The company’s chief executive immediately ordered the part scrapped from the fleet and alerted European regulators, who then began asking questions. In their conversations with Airbus, regulators learned of the 17 cases of icing, and they also discovered, looking at those cases, that the failures seemed to be happening more often (9 of the 17 occured in 2008). None of the failures seemed to signal an immediate danger, so the Thales AA was not removed from service. Regulators simply asked Airbus to watch the problem and report back in a year.

By then, 19 months had passed since the service bulletin suggesting the same thing, but now Air France made the change. At the end of April, the airline ordered replacement BA probes for its A330s, and on May 26, the first batch of probes arrived. Five days later, when Flight 447 took off in Rio, the probes were still in an Air France warehouse, and none of them had been installed. All three pitots on Flight 447 were the Thales AA.

Apparently many French think the investigation was hidden to protect AF and AIrbus
In private, some B.E.A. investigators agree that they have found things that disturb them. After the plane’s final communication, for example, it took nearly 11 hours for a search team to be sent to Tasil Point. For the first hour, air traffic controllers generated a “virtual flight” on their computers, as is common practice, passing the plane along its intended route. For the next two hours, controllers checked periodically to see if anyone had seen the plane, and when a controller in Brazil asked a controller in Senegal if the plane had reached Cape Verde, the controller in Senegal said that Cape Verde hadn’t talked to them but not to worry; so the controller in Brazil didn’t.

Air France alerted a satellite search-and-rescue, 4 hours and 20 minutes had passed, and then it was another two hours before anyone notified the B.E.A. A search team lifted off in Dakar 10 hours after the last radio contact and for the next 45 minutes flew toward Cape Verde, where they assumed the plane had gone down.

When I asked the director of the B.E.A., Jean-Paul Troadec, if this was a suitable response time, he practically jumped from his seat and cried: “No! It’s not! The alert should have been much more quick!” Yet the reports from Troadec’s office draw no such conclusion. When I asked another B.E.A. investigator, Olivier Ferrante, whether it is difficult to write the reports without pointing out mistakes, he acknowledged that it is a matter of craft.

the American approach is very different. Jim Hall, a former N.T.S.B. chairman, told me that American investigators in the same position would have no trouble acknowledging if a search team took too long or if a plane was flying with faulty parts. “That would not be a problem at the N.T.S.B.,”

the French government, which nationalized Air France in 1945, currently owns nearly 16 percent of Air France-KLM, a stake worth about $830 million, and controls 3 of the 15 seats on the company’s board. The government also owns about 15 percent of the parent company for Airbus, which is worth another $3.8 billion.

a government to investigate a company it owns is the very definition of conflicted interest. It also turns out that the underwater search this spring was entirely financed by Air France and Airbus — and as one Air France executive told me, directly “by cash.”

When I asked Goelz if the N.T.S.B. would allow the target of an investigation to control the purse strings in the same way, he laughed. “No, no, no,” he said. “We would charge parties for underwater retrieval, but we would control the money.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/magazine/mag-08Plane-t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This timeline was published a couple of days ago - I put it up way back in the thread, but it may be worth bumping it forward again - the times are pretty precise to be anything other than from a source who knows, I think. It was released at about the same time as the leaked chart and photographed official map were.

TIMELINE (local times)
5.36am: QZ8501 departs Juanda Airport, Surabaya

6.12am: Pilots contact Jakarta Air Traffic Control centre, requesting weather deviation and a climb in altitude.

6.16am: QZ8501 still observed on radar

6.17am: Radar contact is lost.

6.18am: All contact is lost.Only flight plan view remains on radar screen

7.08am: Jakarta ATC declares aircraft position uncertain

7.28am: Jakarta ATC declares emergency alert

7.55am: Jakarta ATC declares emergency distress

11.47am: AirAsia confirms QZ8501 is missing

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...sia-to-singapore/story-fnl2dlu7-1227168426446

As long as the family's are notified first of their missing loved one(s) being found, that count can be all over the place in the news. This half of a day time difference is horrendus trying to keep up. Was that my today or their today, Indoneisia's time or Singapores?...etc...it's just horribly sad no matter what.

jmo

As long as the family's are notified first of their missing loved one(s) being found, that count can be all over the place in the news. This half of a day time difference is horrendus trying to keep up. Was that my today or their today, Indoneisia's time or Singapores?...etc...it's just horribly sad no matter what.

jmo

Yes, it is more difficult for people in the northern hemisphere. The time delay is not so bad here in Aus. We are only a few hours ahead of them, so sort of on their schedule. As long as I mostly read southern hemisphere news releases, I'm able to keep track (somewhat).

Yes, it is more difficult for people in the northern hemisphere. The time delay is not so bad here in Aus. We are only a few hours ahead of them, so sort of on their schedule.

And...that's why I appreciate you posting! I read twitter and gosh, the numbers are all over. Articles from so many countries and the time zones differences. oh my.

Thanks SA!

This timeline was published a couple of days ago - I put it up way back in the thread, but it may be worth bumping it forward again - the times are pretty precise to be anything other than from a source who knows, I think. It was released at about the same time as the leaked chart and photographed official map were.

TIMELINE (local times)
5.36am: QZ8501 departs Juanda Airport, Surabaya

6.12am: Pilots contact Jakarta Air Traffic Control centre, requesting weather deviation and a climb in altitude.

6.16am: QZ8501 still observed on radar

6.17am: Radar contact is lost.

6.18am: All contact is lost.Only flight plan view remains on radar screen

7.08am: Jakarta ATC declares aircraft position uncertain

7.28am: Jakarta ATC declares emergency alert

7.55am: Jakarta ATC declares emergency distress

11.47am: AirAsia confirms QZ8501 is missing

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...sia-to-singapore/story-fnl2dlu7-1227168426446

Thanks SA. So, they requested a climb in altitude. Was it denied?

I am both confused and frustrated! Is there something incorrect with the following. As we type (!) divers are in the water. It is not all that deep? They are looking for bodies. there is a shadow that looks like an aircraft in the area.

IF the above is correct, why are they not heading for shadow. Knowing if the aircraft is relativily together is signifgant at this point in time. It can determine if this is the endpoint (pancake) and that most of the deceased would be in this area.

If it is mostly intact, but some large peices (wing) , stablizer, are not in the area, then this area is a beginning middle or end of a debris trail - which would also influnce what degree of searching has to go on in other areaas, maybe miles away. If the stabllzer is not there it is reasonable to conclude that some passengers could have fallen out mile back when it seperated, or illustrate the breakup pattern indicate where more bodies may be.

AM I nuts?

Dacid Soucie on CNn is really sharp, been in the buesiness from many angles, remained sane during all the MAl nonsense and is steadfastly holding onto that he is really leaning toward this is a beginning or end of a trail , meaning breakup in air.

I woudl think it is safe to assume he is "connected" and would have info many may not.

Thanks SA. So, they requested a climb in altitude. Was it denied?

They were apparently approved to take a path to the left of their planned route, but not approved (yet) for the altitude change - due to planes at that requested altitude already. Then 4 or 5 mins later they lost contact. :(

'We have a radar plot which shows the plane actually climbing through 36,300ft - it wasn't given permission to do that.

'It also shows that its speed had decayed by 134mph and dropped dramatically to a level where it couldn't sustain flight.'

This is a good new overview of everything up to date, for those that would like one:
http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-...issing-plane-search.html#sthash.Zm4UtYQ0.dpuf

AM I nuts?

No, but this lady is ..... :)

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korean prosecutors have arrested a former Korean Air Lines Co. executive for allegedly endangering flight safety by delaying a plane because her macadamia nuts were not served the way she wanted, officials said Wednesday. Cho Hyun-ah, the daughter of the airline's chairman, has faced mounting public anger because she forced the Dec. 5 flight to return to its gate in New York to remove a senior flight attendant. She was angry that the nuts were served in a bag, not on a plate, in an incident that has been dubbed "nut rage."

http://news.yahoo.com/top-asian-news-2-00-p-m-gmt-140226095.html

No, but this lady is ..... :)

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) — South Korean prosecutors have arrested a former Korean Air Lines Co. executive for allegedly endangering flight safety by delaying a plane because her macadamia nuts were not served the way she wanted, officials said Wednesday. Cho Hyun-ah, the daughter of the airline's chairman, has faced mounting public anger because she forced the Dec. 5 flight to return to its gate in New York to remove a senior flight attendant. She was angry that the nuts were served in a bag, not on a plate, in an incident that has been dubbed "nut rage."

http://news.yahoo.com/top-asian-news-2-00-p-m-gmt-140226095.html

! She resigned couple of days later !

Breaking
CNN International @cnni · 5m: Six bodies from #AirAsia #QZ8501 recovered, including one crew member, Indonesian search official says. http://cnn.it/1tggAba

Where is the 40 coming from?
I read on one of the news sites this morning that the report of 40 was erroneous. Before leaving for work, CNN reported only 3 had been found.

MOO

What a releif I am not alone - I am not good with linear thinking. I just keep saying to myself ok dark here light there. !But it is grueling when you get up , get caught up and then everything stalls (no pun intended) because it is nightime there - so its like starts and stops. BUt when ya get all the new info, you have millions of new questions, then all day here CNN gets everything wrong, so by nightfall your super confused. If it was not for you guys I do not quite know where I would be.

jmo

I read on one of the news sites this morning that the report of 40 was erroneous. Before leaving for work, CNN reported only 3 had been found.

MOO

confirmation of what you said by BBC as well

"There was confusion over the number of bodies pulled from the sea on Tuesday after the navy reported recovering more than 40.

Navy spokesman Manahan Simorangkir later told AFP news agency the figure of 40 had been a miscommunication by his staff. "

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-30639206

In the wee hours when it was first reported that Navy was ''very busy'' and that they had recovered 40 I was jubilant that the families would have at least some respite with a fast recovery of remains of their loved ones.

This is from CNN an hour ago .... Bambang has now confirmed 6 people recovered .... but I think it could be a higher number and just not official yet. jmo

Six bodies -- three men and three women -- have been recovered so far, Indonesian search and rescue chief Bambang Soelistyo said Wednesday. One of the females found was wearing a flight attendant's uniform, Soelistyo said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/30/world/asia/airasia-missing-plane/

I prefer what Sky News Australia said a short time ago .... :)

Multiple bodies and wreckage including a plane door and oxygen tanks have been recovered in the search for missing AirAsia Flight QZ8501.

The bodies - which were not wearing life jackets - have been brought on board a navy ship, said Indonesia's search and rescue director SB Supriyadi.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-...ane-search.html#sthash.Zm4UtYQ0.oFa8ZPB8.dpuf

The 40 bodies story was debunked early this morning in several articles while others persisted in publishing it.

Many if not most news stories are recycled with very little new updated information. This, together with the time zone and date line differences, makes keeping-up with facts a challenge.

~jmo~

That is helpful - so we all agree that the 40 is wrong- that is huge either way but helpful to know!It reinformced the seeing a shadow in the ocean yesterday, so it seemed that it was a pancake entry. But if that is bogus and we are back to 6 or9 bodies then this might only be a beginning or end of a debris trail.

My very closest girlfriend also worked for MAL for over 20 years. She was staying with a now retired MAL crew member only last week in KUL. I asked her about MH370 QUOTE Everyone in Malaysia is embarrassed to discuss it. You know their culture do not want to loose face UNQUOTE ......whilst we do know this is not uncommon in many cultures it does seem terribly sad not to want to find out everything that transpired. If this happened to our national carrier we would be hashing it over, then rehashing 20 years later.

So hard on the loved one's search is suspended but last thing needed is anymore tragedy.

Tweet - 6 mins ago from Indonesian presser

Jason Ng @ByJasonNg

#QZ8501 UPDATE: Indonesia SAR agency says sonar image appears to show aircraft upside down on ocean floor

Jason Ng @ByJasonNg

#QZ8501 UPDATE: Indonesia SAR agency says object spotted is in 24-30 meters of water

Jason Ng @ByJasonNg

UPDATE: High waves hampering #QZ8501 recovery efforts, says Indonesia search and rescue agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member