Rhornsby Legal Q&A #3 Relevant to the Anthony Case

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brad Conway stated on the "Today Show" this morning that a judge blocked the release of jail videos. Although Brad never mentioned the Judge, County or State, my question is: "have you heard of this blocking of releasing of jail videos in the state of Florida?"

Adding the Today Show video for reference to what Brad stated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U203DAkqUgM
I think he was referring to the Byrd and Melanie Billings case (Newsweek Article Link) in the panhandle.

In that case the judge would not allow the release of the of the Billings surveillance camera; I believe this is because it showed the actual murder. However, he did let the media view the video at the State Attorney's Office and report on what they saw - just not replay it.

With that said, it is like comparing apples (jail visits) with oranges (video of a murder).

Regardless, I have no sympathy for the Anthonys. Everyone seems to have overlooked one simple fact - they are free to visit her whenever they want, they choose not to.

Finally, I would point out that Judge Strickland did seal the video of Casey's reaction. So I think the cases are being treated similarly.

Mr. Hornsby,

I was wondering if anyone else besides KC Anthony were charged with the exact same economic crimes, what do you believe the sentence would be? I believe any other defendant would have worked these charges out through a plea deal.

Have you ever had a client charged with similar charges and what was the sentence?

Somehow it seems to me, (taking out all my bias and dislike for KC out of the equation here) someone else with those charges would probably have gotten probation. Or do you think there would be some jail time?
I don't think there has been an offer in the Check Fraud case.

But a similarly situated person would get about two years probation OR straight jail of six months. Thus why I think she would get time served.

I think he was referring to the Byrd and Melanie Billings case (Newsweek Article Link) in the panhandle.

In that case the judge would not allow the release of the of the Billings surveillance camera; I believe this is because it showed the actual murder. However, he did let the media view the video at the State Attorney's Office and report on what they saw - just not replay it.

With that said, it is like comparing apples (jail visits) with oranges (video of a murder).

Regardless, I have no sympathy for the Anthonys. Everyone seems to have overlooked one simple fact - they are free to visit her whenever they want, they choose not to.

Finally, I would point out that Judge Strickland did seal the video of Casey's reaction. So I think the cases are being treated similarly.

Happy to see someone knows what case Brad was referring to and I agree it is not the same situation.

Also want to say thank you for finally stating that the Anthony's do not want to visit KC nor does KC want to see the Anthonys. So happy someone finally said it.

Thank you. I recall the video of Casey's reaction sealed, however the transcripts of her reaction slipped out! :) Looks like another Brad-ism regarding "release of jail house visitation videos". :banghead:

BBM

A Thank You was not enough. It bears repeating.

It's painfully obvious they are protecting any image of her from public view, as she is startlingly transparent!

Didn't a judge intervene in release of jail video in the B. Ward case?

I totally agree. No one is stopping them but themselves.:dance:

12/14/2009 Notice of Cancellation
Cancellation of Deposition prev scheduled for 12/16/09 @1:30pm

It seems as if Dominic Casey was able to weasel out of this. I thought the judge said to work it out. Any idea as to why this was cancelled?

Hello Mr. Hornsby,

I have noticed from the Orange County Clerk's register of actions that Joy Wray has sent correspondence to the court in the Criminal trial. Would this have been through her lawyer or would she have submitted this herself? What do you believe would be the purpose/nature of that correspondence considering that she really does not play any important role in this case? :loser: Or does she?

As well, Dominic Casey's deposition date was cancelled for tomorrow even though an Investigative Subpoena was issued. Does this mean that the request for deposition by the prosecution is a separate process and they have to start scheduling with DC again? :waitasec:

JB also mentioned in an interview on his way out of the courthouse on December 11th that he would now definitely be listing DC on his witness list for the defense in order to allow him to be present at the interview. How will this affect the investigative subpoena process that has surely begun?

Thanks for your generous time here in this forum :takeabow:

Mr. Hornsby -

You mentioned the Billings murder case and the surveillance videos that the media was allowed to view. Do you think that the media could successfully argue that a similar approach could be used for viewing the video of Casey from the day Caylee's remains were discovered? In other words the media could view the video at the courthouse and report on what they saw but not air the actual video? Thoughts?

It seems as if Dominic Casey was able to weasel out of this. I thought the judge said to work it out. Any idea as to why this was cancelled?

To delay so that JB can first get DC added to the Defense witness list and thus be present at any interview? Must be crucial stuff.

Mr. Hornsby -

You mentioned the Billings murder case and the surveillance videos that the media was allowed to view. Do you think that the media could successfully argue that a similar approach could be used for viewing the video of Casey from the day Caylee's remains were discovered? In other words the media could view the video at the courthouse and report on what they saw but not air the actual video? Thoughts?
I actually recommended to the all three of the media outlets I have worked with that they adopt that exact reasoning when the issue was brought up about Casey's jail video, instead they chose to argue for full disclosure, which I knew Judge Strickland would deny. If they would have given him an out, I bet he would have taken it.

I actually recommended to the all three of the media outlets I have worked with that they adopt that exact reasoning when the issue was brought up about Casey's jail video, instead they chose to argue for full disclosure, which I knew Judge Strickland would deny. If they would have given him an out, I bet he would have taken it.

So is it too late to go back with this option now?

RH is this b/c of the investigative subpoena that the prosecution needs to file?

RH is this b/c of the investigative subpoena that the prosecution needs to file?
I bet Baez finally filed a witness list with Dominic Casey on it and they canceled it so they reschedule the deposition during a time convenient to all parties.

Mr. Honsby,

Is J. Wray's letter to the judge considered ex-parte communication? Will Judge Strickland or SAO ever know it's existence? Are there penalties for ex-parte communcation?

I found this and it seems to me that the judge will never see her letter.

http://www.circuit19.org/judges/belangerr/pro se ex parte relatives slc.pdf
It is common for crazy people to file paperwork in cases. The clerk is required to file it in the file it relates to.

And the reason it is filed is so that all parties are made aware of it and there is no accusation of ex-parte communication.

Mr. Hornsby,

Thank you for the clarification and all of your time and contributions!

Please accept my apologies for typing your name wrong in my earlier post.

Could you please help us understand the implications of these two definitions and how they apply to, for instance, Cindy Anthony saying on a National TV news program, that there is evidence that is out there that has not been investigated. Which to me implies that Law Enforcement hasn't done their job well?

Could you please help us understand the implications of these two definitions and how they apply to, for instance, Cindy Anthony saying on a National TV news program, that there is evidence that is out there that has not been investigated. Which to me implies that Law Enforcement hasn't done their job well?

Those fricking leprechauns still have my pot of gold too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kzrrz