RI RI - Linda Carman, 54, Point Judith, 18 Sept 2016 *SON ARRESTED, dies before trial*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know, m_brown! I don't know what to think. The initial reports of a young man found adrift after 8 days, and 2 days after the search was suspended, was amazing enough. It just keeps getting more and more fantastical.

It could have been just sloppy workmanship or inappropriate materials used on the boat that contributed to the sinking. Perhaps Nathan's limitations in communication that made his story of the sinking suspect. Maybe all the gear--life raft, water, food were in the one bag he mentioned and he ended up in the water as quickly as he said. It would take time and effort to get the raft inflated and get on it. I wonder if he had the lift jacket he was found with on at the time or was able to put it on as the boat sank. It doesn't seem that the CG thinks his mother had a life jacket on or available. But cushions, jugs, a styrofoam cooler could have keep her afloat for awhile. Did they find any debris from the boat?

Richmond is where Nathan took a bus to when he ran away in 2011. He purchased the moped or scooter he was found with in a town near Richmond. It seems Clark Carman lived in Richmond at one time, but I don't know when. It appears from coverage of the runaway story that his father was in Conn at the time.

Wow! You have to read this article!

In April 2011 Nathan, then 17, was in a psychiatric hospital after the death of his horse. Nathan's parents and grandfather were in a physical altercation in a waiting room over money and who would make decisions for Nathan.

John Chakalos offered Linda's unemployed husband Earle Clark Carman a job and he refused. Chakalos said he would no longer support them and that he had only being doing so for Nathan's sake. When John tried to leave, Linda blocked the door, yelled profanities, and punched him in the face, scratched him, and kicked him. Her husband tried to pull her off and she punched him in the mouth. Linda told police her father (who would have been about 84 at the time) had started the fight by pushing her. She said that her father was worth $300 million and she was going to get her share. Linda was charged with assault of an elderly person and breach of peace. The charges were dropped in July because John did not want her prosecuted.

In August 2011, Nathan ran away. He took a bus south, bought a scooter near Richmond and headed for Florida. cHe had 2 framed photos of him and his horse and $4000. Police close to the North Carolina border answered a call about a suspicious person near an old store and discovered Nathan looking for a place to sleep.

In December 2013, John was murdered, Linda apparently told police Nathan did not show up to meet her at 3am for a trip they'd planned. However, when police began to focus on Nathan as a suspect, she told her attorney that Nathan could not have done it because they were fishing together at the time. Perhaps those statements are not inconsistent--it is hard to tell from the few facts presented.

Nathan threw away a computer hard drive and a GPS unit. Police found a shotgun and ammunition in his apartment. They also found a receipt from a New Hampshire store showing Nathan had purchased a gun that was the same caliber as used to kill John and that he had not told the police about. That gun was not found. The attorney advised Linda that she and Nathan should not take polygraphs. He said that Linda did anyway, and she passed. Nathan did not take a polygraph.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...carman-boat/HDkoshnzQ1H8uVwLUxtqJI/story.html

Just speculating based on this story. Nathan was not getting the care he needed. The grandfather was upset. He was supporting them all because of his needy grandson. He offers the unemployed father a job he refuses. He gets frustrated and holds back support. His daughter, (Linda) has a fight with him right there and is charged with assault on an elderly person.

Later, Nathan finds out that Grampy would not help.

Later he finds out that it was his Mother's fault that Grampy stopped supporting them and that she likely had a bunch o' money after his death (which Nathan may or may not be responsible for on his mother's behalf)

Then he realizes what she did and what she caused him and he plots the"fishing trip".

He plotted his rescue and then went home to Vermont asking for time to grieve, LOL

YUP.

Now I feel like mom killed Grandpa. Grandpa was Nathan's BFF. Nathan figures out mom killed Grandpa. Nathan moves out of mom's place and into his own house, while he waits & plots. Then Nathan kills mom as revenge for killing grandpa!

I'm thinking that is possible that it was Linda that may have killed John and set it up to throw suspicion on Nathan. Maybe Nathan figured it out recently....

Or maybe Nathan intended murder/suicide so every person/animal he loved could be together. Maybe he couldn't cope with life without the grandfather who smoothed everything out for him and contemplated suicide. After all, he was admitted to a psychiatric hospital after his horse died. Months later, still distraught, he ran away. His grandfather and his mother were the center of his world, according to Clark. So Nathan thought he couldn't kill himself and leave his mother behind. At the last minute, his survival instinct kicks in and he gets in the life raft.

The first scenario is probably more likely than the second. It seems like Nathan was a solitary person. His emotional connections were to his horse, his grandfather, and his mother. After his horse and his grandfather were dead and he bought the house in Vermont, he seems to have been very isolated. Neighbors said he worked on the house--he added two floors!--but he slept in his truck. His grandparents' house in New Hampshire was huge, and I think he may have been trying to replicate it. The 4 bedroom antique he bought was already huge for one person.

Sounds like Nathan was in pretty good condition for a guy out at sea in a life raft for many days. Isn't it possible he actually wasn't lost /out at sea that entire time but only made it appear that way? He could have tossed Mom overboard anywhere, driven the boat not too far from shore, done whatever to make it sink, then paddles to shore somewhere and camped out there for several days......then gotten back into the life boat and paddled out to see waiting to be found by coast guard?

Sounds like Nathan was in pretty good condition for a guy out at sea in a life raft for many days.

RSBM

He must have stocked the raft with a lot of water and food and supplies to guard against exposure. Too bad he stocked the raft rather than get his mom on board when his boat was sinking. I wonder if he just abandoned her after he made the boat sink or killed her first....

Sounds like Nathan was in pretty good condition for a guy out at sea in a life raft for many days. Isn't it possible he actually wasn't lost /out at sea that entire time but only made it appear that way? He could have tossed Mom overboard anywhere, driven the boat not too far from shore, done whatever to make it sink, then paddles to shore somewhere and camped out there for several days......then gotten back into the life boat and paddled out to see waiting to be found by coast guard?
This guy's guilty as sin.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If he or his mother inherited a fortune from the grandfather or father of Linda, then why was his boat a rinky-dink aluminum non-descript variety?

Sure it's not a yacht but I'm not sure I'd call it rinky-dink? From pics I've seen posted online it seems him and his Mom enjoyed fishing together, very possible due to where they lived that they (her) owned this boat prior to any inheritance she might have received and if they found it adequate for their needs then maybe they saw no need to just buy a bigger/better one?

boat.jpg

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...eturns-home/No5gzzO4OTaUQ4zkoyT7VM/story.html

If he or his mother inherited a fortune from the grandfather or father of Linda, then why was his boat a rinky-dink aluminum non-descript variety?
Nathan reportedly spent $70,000 to buy his Vermont residence so the wealth may not have trickled down to him. Besides, he is fixing up his house - may he enjoys the DIY approach. Btw, I see that CNN is carry this story on their homepage but I don't see anything new being reported.
[video=cnn;us/2016/10/02/ma-mother-son-fishing-trip-mystery-dnt.wcvb]http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/02/us/new-england-high-seas-mystery/index.html[/video]

:thinking: :jail:

Thanks Spider for your reasoned balanced answer. As for me, if I inherited even 1 mil. I'd have improved my boating standards, but thats just me. Perhaps because I don't swim, but I love the water. To each their own.

I guess its one thing to renovate a house that has potential (for example, building on 2 extra floors as the photos showed),
But one cannot build on to an aluminum craft like his is and if it takes on water, its not the same as a house taking on water is it? :gaah:

Nathan reportedly spent $70,000 to buy his Vermont residence so the wealth may not have trickled down to him. Besides, he is fixing up his house - may he enjoys the DIY approach. Btw, I see that CNN is carry this story on their homepage but I don't see anything new being reported.
[video=cnn;us/2016/10/02/ma-mother-son-fishing-trip-mystery-dnt.wcvb]http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/02/us/new-england-high-seas-mystery/index.html[/video]

I have a feeling they did not get much if anything. When she assaulted the Grandfather at the hospital it was because he cut off support after the unemployed father refused a job offer from him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back