RI RI - Linda Carman, 54, Point Judith, 18 Sept 2016 *SON ARRESTED, dies before trial*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 12m12 minutes ago
Insurance attorney says Carman made “shotty repairs” to the holes in his boat, and Carman contradicted himself when testifying on the stand showing his knowledge of boats. “The policy is void and there’s no coverage for Mr. Carman’s insurance claim.” @ABC6

Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 8m8 minutes ago
“The fact that he describes (the sinking) so suddenly, no one can piece that together factually.” Attorney goes on to say Carman has “serious credibility problems.” @ABC6

Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 6m6 minutes ago
Carman said on the stand he never heard a word from his mother while the boat was sinking. “How can that be if she isn’t already in a coma, or already dead?” @ABC6

Dave Altimari‏ @davealtimari 5m5 minutes ago
Attorney Ferrell said as Chicken Pox sank Nathan Carman loomed our for his own skin and got into the raft with his 30 days of supplies. Says Linda Carman either was in a coma, already dead or already off the boat when it started sinking.

Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 4m4 minutes ago
Attorney says Carman’s description of the sinking would put his mom on the part of the boat that would be the highest. “Did she get catapulted? It makes no sense,” and instead of calling for help, “he looks out for his own skin, climbs into a life raft without looking.” @ABC6

Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 1m1 minute ago
BoatUS attorney finishes up his closing arguments by trying to prove that Carman lied about where he sank. Says aside from repairs, “it is appropriate for the court to also look at Carman’s deep rooted credibility problems” when it comes to the sinking and navigation. @ABC6

Dave Altimari‏ @davealtimari 1m1 minute ago
David Farrell goes about a half hour and concludes that Carman lied about where his boat sank and that his credibility issues along with holes he made in his boat before leaving point Judith show that judge should rule in the insurance companies favor.

Last edited:
Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 1m1 minute ago
Carman’s attorney, David Anderson, has begun his closing arguments. Starts with addressing the navigation chart, saying Carman never used a chart plotter. Says oceanographer who took the stand during the trial depicted Block Canyon to be further north than it really is. @ABC6

Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 30s31 seconds ago
Anderson says Carman has given about 20 hours of testimony, so it’s “not surprising that here or there there might be a mistake.” Says nothing in this case has demonstrated that he’s lied. “This gentleman has been telling the truth since day one in this case.” @ABC6

Dave Altimari‏ @davealtimari 9m9 minutes ago
Carmans attorney David Anderson says that Carman has sat for more than 20 hours of depositions and has been telling the truth since day 1 and no evidence from the trial demonstrated he lied about anything.

Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 3m3 minutes ago
Anderson says there’s no way to find out exactly where Carman sank due to factors such as currents and winds. Switching now to Chicken Pox. @ABC6

Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 1h1 hour ago
“Something gave way that made a lot of water come in rapidly,” Anderson says in closing.
“Mr. Carman would never go out there with his mom, in the middle of nowhere, if he felt the vessel was about to sink.” @ABC6

Amanda Pitts‏ @APittsABC6 1h1 hour ago
Closing arguments have concluded. This is a bench trial, so the judge will deliver a written verdict in a couple of weeks. Says he has another matter that has a higher priority, and federal court is down a judge, so their dockets are crazy. @ABC6

Kait Walsh‏Verified account @KaitLouiseWalsh 28m28 minutes ago
Nathan Carman just spoke to us outside of court. Said he wanted to clear the air and that this isn’t about money. It’s about justice for his mother. @wpri12

Robert Goulston‏Verified account @rgoulston 23m23 minutes ago
We just heard from Nathan Carman outside federal court. He told us he’s not after the insurance money. He says he owes it to his mother to get the truth out there. We’ll have live reports with his interview at 5 & 6.

Closing arguments heard in Nathan Carman insurance case

SEPTEMBER 4, 2019

"...During the trial, the insurance company argued that Carman made modifications to the boat which in turn caused it to sink. Carman’s attorney argued that the boat was old and there was no way of proving why it actually sank. During closing arguments, the attorney for the insurance company said Carman performed shoddy repairs and had serious credibility issues, “You don’t put a boat with half inch holes out to sea.”

In his closing arguments, Carman’s attorney said “The Chicken Pox” was a plug and it was never intended to be a working boat.

The judge said the decision will be written and made in a couple weeks at the earliest...."

Closing arguments heard in Nathan Carman insurance case

Nathan Carman speaks out at conclusion of civil trial
Closing arguments in Nathan Carman's civil trial wrapped up Wednesday in Federal Court in Providence, and now the verdict is in the hands of the judge.

September 4th 2019

"....At the conclusion of closing arguments, Carman addressed the media while walking out of court, for the first time in this trial.

"This isn't about money. It's an $85,000 claim. It's a contingency fee. I get a fraction of that if I win. I’ve put lots of time, effort and, frankly, a lot of misery into this.”...

Carman said outside of court that this trial is about the truth, not money.

"I almost feel like I have a responsibility to my mom to make sure the truth comes out," said Carman....

"Mr. Farrell and the insurers, BoatUS, Berkshire Hathaway, National Fire Liability made claims against me that are so tremendous I don't feel like I could walk away from them. That's why I'm here, I'm not here about the money," added Carman...."

Nathan Carman speaks out at conclusion of civil trial

Judge rules Nathan Carman contributed to boat's sinking

PROVIDENCE, R.I. —

A Vermont man at the center of an inheritance dispute contributed to the 2016 sinking of the boat from which his mother was lost at sea, a federal judge ruled Monday.

U.S. District Judge John McConnell issued a written decision in favor of an insurance company that had refused to pay an $85,000 claim to Nathan Carman for the loss of his 31-foot fishing boat, The Chicken Pox.

Judge rules Nathan Carman contributed to boat's sinking

5/10/22

RUTLAND, Vt. —
Federal prosecutors have charged Nathan Carman, 28, of Vernon, Vermont, with the 2016 murder of his mother on the high seas as well as related frauds to obtain family and insurance funds.

Carman has previously been at the center of an inheritance dispute which contributed to the 2016 sinking of his 31-foot fishing boat, The Chicken Pox. The vessel sank during a fishing trip in 2016, leaving Carmen's mother, Linda Carman, missing and presumed dead.

[..]

Federal prosecutors in Vermont say according to the unsealed indictment, in 2013, Nathan Carman shot and killed his grandfather John Chakalos at his Windsor, Connecticut home. The unsealed indictment says in 2016, he killed his mother Linda Carman and sunk his boat during a fishing trip off the coast of Rhode Island.

The federal indictment alleges that both killings were part of a scheme to obtain money and property from the estate of John Chakalos and related family trusts.

5/11/22

Federal prosecutors said in a court document filed Wednesday he should remain detained because he poses a flight risk and is a danger to the community. They wrote that Carman was treated for mental health issues from when he was a small child until he was 17 years old and has avoided any treatment since then.

“For an individual who would kill his own family members, nothing is off the table,” prosecutors wrote. A hearing is scheduled for Monday.

Interview with Nathan Carman from 2017

20/20 - ‘Lost At Sea’

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unique sky 6793