RI - Michael Woodmansee, killer of Jason Foreman, 5, released 12 years early

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think we are invariably looking at troubled teens who commit a heinous crime and people need to jettison whatever might have led up to it in favor of something like Satanism. JMO.

You might be right, Believe, but I do think the possibility must "stay on the table". The Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey was published in 1969 and gives quite detailed instructions concerning rituals. One can access the entire book on the internet. It's a compelling piece of work and very easy to see how disenfranchised youth might be drawn in as Lavey hammers in the fact that "you are your own god, do as you wish". Who knows if this teen identified with satanism but his acts seem to mirror some key rituals. A crime is a crime but I still think that the examination of motivation is paramount. Society needs to sit up and take notice if something is continually bringing evil into our midst.

I found another bit of info. Yes, this all could be a lead up to a book release. However, it was the author of the book who discovered that a death certificate had not been issued. That's what brought about the inquiry. It worries me that this now grown man is out there somewhere, even being that "he's found God". I hope his close friends and family are keeping an eye on him. My thoughts go out to the murdered child's family as this must be a horrifically difficult time for them. It's been 38 years but I'm sure it's never far from their mind.

wfgodot's link has the best overview of the case:

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php

Warning: Details of the crime and the autopsy

For those interested, a number of teens have been quite forthcoming about the fact that they murdered "in the name of Satan" (whatever that means to them). The murders of Elyse Pahler of CA in 1995, Steven Newberry of MO in 1987, and Michael Russell of CA in 2009 come to mind.

I checked to see when The Boy in the Attic would be published - not until the sixth of October. While I'm skeptical of the Satanic thing, I still would like to read it.

The amazon.co.uk link for the book includes a product description but it's stuff we already know.

For those interested, a number of teens have been quite forthcoming about the fact that they murdered "in the name of Satan" (whatever that means to them). The murders of Elyse Pahler of CA in 1995, Steven Newberry of MO in 1987, and Michael Russell of CA in 2009 come to mind.

Respectfully snipped and bolded by me. Exactly-whatever that means to them.

I am going to maintain a healthy scepticism here...I mean Michael Woodmansee murdered and consumed his neighbors son. He shellacked his bones. I am quite certain that many would have characterized it as a Satanic ritual or an example of Satanism....he was a teen as well. *shrug*

"Years later, he would tell police and a psychiatrist that he had been thinking about “what it would be like” to kill someone. He thought it would be easy, easy to get away with it, and some form of fun."

WARNING GRAPHIC LINK

http://www.projo.com/news/content/MICHAEL_WOODMANSEE_03-06-11_PIMQFMO_v39.1941899.html

My point is that it is easy to throw the term Satanic around when it comes to a crime that is especially bizarre and horrific. JMO.

I checked to see when The Boy in the Attic would be published - not until the sixth of October. While I'm skeptical of the Satanic thing, I still would like to read it.

The amazon.co.uk link for the book includes a product description but it's stuff we already know.

Don't even think I'm gonna ask you to borrow it when you're done.:crazy::innocent:

You might be right, Believe, but I do think the possibility must "stay on the table". The Satanic Bible by Anton Lavey was published in 1969 and gives quite detailed instructions concerning rituals. One can access the entire book on the internet. It's a compelling piece of work and very easy to see how disenfranchised youth might be drawn in as Lavey hammers in the fact that "you are your own god, do as you wish". Who knows if this teen identified with satanism but his acts seem to mirror some key rituals. A crime is a crime but I still think that the examination of motivation is paramount. Society needs to sit up and take notice if something is continually bringing evil into our midst.

I found another bit of info. Yes, this all could be a lead up to a book release. However, it was the author of the book who discovered that a death certificate had not been issued. That's what brought about the inquiry. It worries me that this now grown man is out there somewhere, even being that "he's found God". I hope his close friends and family are keeping an eye on him. My thoughts go out to the murdered child's family as this must be a horrifically difficult time for them. It's been 38 years but I'm sure it's never far from their mind.

wfgodot's link has the best overview of the case:

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/sw-irish-crime.php

Warning: Details of the crime and the autopsy

LaVey's writings would not have been readily available in a small town in 1969 Ireland. I can't imagine how the 16yo could have ever come by them.

The murder occurred in 1973 and the Satanic Bible was published in 1969. I have no doubt that shops in Dublin or other larger Irish cities would have carried the book. I believe it was also available by mail. One thing that really surprises me is the number of kids who accessed the book and others about the occult in small town libraries across America throughout the 70s and 80s. That's where the killers of Steve Newberry in Carl Junction, MO read it.

There's an interesting forum here:

http://www.findagrave.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=423810&page=1 (12 pages)

It concerns the "satanic" murder and suicide of 14 year old Thomas Sullivan, Jr. of NJ in 1988. Tommy (as he was known) learned about the Satanic Bible through a class in religion. It fascinated him and caused a great deal of concern in his family. This forum includes posts from classmates and the lead detective. Tommy left a note specifically stating that he killed in the name of Satan. Most of the articles have disappeared but here's a snip from the forum, attributed to The Gettysburg Times on January 13 1988:

"....In November, Thomas Sullivan Jr.'s Catholic school teacher assigned students to research other religions. The studious 14-year-old did his paper on Hinduism but police say he bacame more interested in the subject that earned frinds an A: satanism. Within weeks, the all-American neighborhood paperboy became a defiant, hostile teen buried in library books on the occult and listening to heavy metal rock music.

His teachers noticed the transformation and warned his mother last Thursday. By Saturday night mother and son were dead. Police say Sullivan was entranced by the occult as he stabbed his mother at least 12 times and tried to kill his father and 10-year-old brother by setting fire to their Jefferson Township house. Then he slit his throat and wrists with a Boy Scout knife, slumping dead on bloody snow in a neighbor's back yard...."

more at link

I'll have to check our library's on line catalog. I have to say that I've never noticed many books on the occult but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. So Tommy accessed his books and info through the library and his Catholic school. No doubt that the teen in Ireland figured out a way to get hold of some. Teens can be awfully crafty about finding the reading material they want.

The little boy was found murdered in Lucan, West Dublin. From Wiki:

"....Lucan (Irish: Leamhcán, meaning "place of elms") is a suburban town to the west of Dublin city, Ireland, in the administrative county of South Dublin, and is situated some 13 km from the city centre...."

Dublin, in fact most of Ireland, has had a fantastic bus system for decades.

I'm guessing that Mr. Malone plans to tell his readers how this teen learned of the occult.

Hmmm. It looks like the convicted killer is involved with a church:

http://www.thejournal.ie/dublin-chi...-was-murdered-in-satanic-rite-145437-May2011/

"...the boy’s killer, who was not named as he was a 16-year-old juvenile at the time, has since been released from prison and moved to the UK, becoming closely involved in a church community...."

I seriously doubt that there would have been any sort of registration or post release supervision required in 1973 (could be, though). That tells me that the man would most likely be living in the UK with total confidentiality about his past crime. That's a huge issue with many horrific crimes committed by juveniles. Once they've done their time, they get a fresh slate. Sometimes, that's a great thing. Sometimes, it's frightening.

Some interesting comments at the link above.

It's like I always say.......the death penalty deters one person for certain....the killer.

And that's good enough for me.

A lot of states have that law and its so unfair to the victims. Another law I think is wrong is defining "Life" as in a life sentence in terms of years. People are outliving their life sentences and getting out all over the US.

I think that they should pass a law that if you kill, kidnap, molest, or hurt someone's child, the punishment will be that you are tied up in a small room and the parent's wrath turned loose on you..... and no punishment be bestowed upon said parent.

I think this punishment sounds much more like a deterrent to crime than a freakin' life sentence of any sort.

The murder occurred in 1973 and the Satanic Bible was published in 1969. I have no doubt that shops in Dublin or other larger Irish cities would have carried the book. I believe it was also available by mail. One thing that really surprises me is the number of kids who accessed the book and others about the occult in small town libraries across America throughout the 70s and 80s. That's where the killers of Steve Newberry in Carl Junction, MO read it.

Missizzy, books in Ireland were still heavily censored in the 1970's. I don't know for sure, but I think the office was only abolished in the 90's. So I don't think he would have been able to buy it normally in the bookstore. But there were always ways of course. People travelling to England or America..

Taken from Wikipedia on Censorship of books in Ireland :

Censorship of booksUntil the 1970s, it was commonplace for books to be banned for containing violence, sex, cursing, references to birth control, based on Catholic teachings on sexual morality. Bannings were prompted by the Catholic Index that continued until 1966. This has since ceased, and virtually all books banned have been unbanned. From 1930 onwards, many books of undoubted literary merit, as well as serious books on reproductive issues and sexual health, were banned.

Among the first 13 books to be banned (announced in the Iris Oifigúil, in May 1930) were Point Counter Point by Aldous Huxley, The Well of Loneliness by Radclyffe Hall and several books on sex and marriage by Margaret Sanger and Marie Stopes.[20] Contrary to popular belief, James Joyce's 'Ulysses' was technically never banned in Ireland, but this was because it was never imported and offered for sale, for fear of such a ban and its attendant costs. In 1942 Senator Sir John Keane told the Seanad that 1,600 books had been banned since independence in 1922.[21] He quoted examples of supposed indecency from several books to ridicule the law, but his words were not fully reported in the records[citation needed].

The Tailor and Ansty by Eric Cross was banned in 1942 for mentioning a couple who were cohabiting.[22]

Madonna's controversial book Sex was banned several weeks after its release in 1992 but unbanned in 2004, due to the 12 year limitation on initial banning orders.

Books containing references to terrorism or which could be considered slander under Irish law can still be banned - one will not be prosecuted for owning or importing them, but their sale is prohibited. This covers books such as The Committee: Political Assassination in Northern Ireland, which has even been pulled from Amazon.com due to its content. However, importing this book and its sale second-hand are legal.

There are instances of books which were at one time banned in Ireland subsequently not only having the ban overturned but the books in question becoming required reading on the Leaving Certificate syllabus[citation needed].

A 2007 era listing of banned books showed that none had been banned since 1998.[4]

Thank you Irish! I had forgotten that aspect of Ireland.

In my opinion, and not mine alone, the best cloak of satan is disbelief in his/its existence.

I've lived in cities and in the REAL boondocks, but always the same signs and symbols were there in abandoned houses, and churches especially. We can close our eyes, but that doesn't make the boogey man go away. Evil, by any other name, still maimes, tortures, and kills.

My opinion only

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back