Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be against the rules to say how I really feel about Kim Jung Un.
I read that Putin cut the visit short a bit, gave Kim a single rifle and a souvenir and excused himself as he had another meeting to attend.

Not exactly the big warm open arms Kim was expecting.

He did invite Putin to visit North Korea. Now that would be very interesting.

The description does sound as though he has a history of renal and liver disease and this is not a physical injury. Lots of things can cause kidney and liver disease: alcoholism, infection, cardiac disease, diabetes, and then there is poisoning by any of a number of slow-acting agents.

Like everyone else, to Putin he is disposable. It will be nice for the west to know that Radman Kadyrov, the brutal Chechen despot is dying.

SEP 16, 2023
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un inspected Russia’s nuclear-capable bombers, hypersonic missiles and an advanced warship from its Pacific fleet on Saturday as he continued a trip in Russia’s Far East that has sparked Western concerns about an arms alliance that could fuel President Vladimir Putin’s war on Ukraine.

After arriving in the city of Artyom by train, Kim traveled to an airport just outside the port city of Vladivostok where Russian Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu and other senior military officials gave him an up-close look at Russia’s strategic bombers and other warplanes.

President Zelensky will travel to the White House on Thursday for talks with President Joe Biden and also hold meetings at the US Congress, where elements of the rival Republican Party are hesitant as President Biden seeks to push through a major new package for Kyiv.

The Ukrainian leader's trip to Washington will come after meetings with other world leaders at the UN General Assembly in New York.

UK Defense Ministry: Russia likely amassing 'significant stockpile' of missiles for winter strikes against Ukraine. Russia is likely able to create “a significant stockpile” of air-launched cruise missiles to use against Ukraine's critical infrastructure this winter, the U.K. Defense Ministry reported on Sept. 16.

The ministry cited data from open sources indicating that Russia’s military has used fewer of those missiles since April, while Russian leaders have emphasized efforts to increase the rate of cruise missile production. UK Defense Ministry: Russia likely amassing 'significant stockpile' of missiles for winter strikes against Ukraine (kyivindependent.com)

Blinken says it's up to Ukraine how to use US-provided weapons. While Washington "does not encourage nor enable" Ukraine to use U.S.-supplied weapon systems outside of the country, it is "fundamentally" Kyiv's decision how to use those weapons, U.S. State Secretary Antony Blinken said at a press conference.

"And they (Ukrainians) have to make judgments about what can be most effective in working to regain their full sovereignty, their territorial integrity," added the official.
Blinken says it's up to Ukraine how to use US-provided weapons (kyivindependent.com)

Minister: Ukraine's drone production to rise 120-140 times in 2023. Digital Transformation Minister Mykhailo Fedorov told Reuters on Sept. 16 that Ukraine's aerial drone production is expected to increase 120-140 times in 2023, compared with 2022. Ukraine's aerial drone production has already increased 100 times so far this year compared to last year, the minister added.

I think Putin has been strategically targeting water, electrical, power plants, and food distribution points. Last winter was mild, but he has had the last year to ensure that this winter will win the war for him.

Stoltenberg: 'We must prepare for a long war in Ukraine.' NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg does not expect the Russian war in Ukraine to end quickly, he said in an interview with the German Funke media group, published on Sept. 17.

"Most wars last longer than expected when they first begin," Stoltenberg said.
Stoltenberg: 'We must prepare for a long war in Ukraine' (kyivindependent.com)

Eastern Grouping: Russia concentrates over 50,000 troops in Bakhmut area. Russia has concentrated 52,000 troops in the area near Bakhmut, Donetsk Oblast, Eastern Force Grouping press officer Illia Yevlash said on Ukrainian TV on Sept. 17.

According to Yevlash, Russia has also concentrated around 274 tanks, over 1,000 armored fighting vehicles, 150 artillery systems, and more than 120 multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) in the area. Eastern Grouping: Russia concentrates over 50,000 troops in Bakhmut area (kyivindependent.com)

In 4 days, Ukraine attacked at least 7 Russian warships in the Black Sea with missiles and drones, destroying 7 of those - Tunets boat, Rostov-na-Donu sub, Minsk landing ship - and damaging at least 2 Kalibr-NK missile carrying patrol boats. Frontline report: Seven Russian warships targeted by Ukraine in just four days, with three destroyed and at least two damaged - Euromaidan Press

US senators: 'Not sending ATACMS to Ukraine will only prolong war.'

U.S. senators Tom Cotton, Roger Wicker, Susan Collins, and Lindsey Graham sent a letter to U.S. President Joe Biden urging him to send Ukraine MGM-140 Army Tactical Missile Systems (ATACMS).

"Additional delay will only further undermine U.S. national security interests and extend this conflict," the Republican senators' letter read, stressing that Washington can send the long-requested weapons "without any appreciable risk to its own combat capability."

UK Defense Ministry: Russia likely reinforcing defenses around Tokmak in Zaporizhzhia Oblast. Russian forces have likely bolstered their defenses around the occupied town of Tokmak in the southeastern oblast of Zaporizhzhia, the U.K. Defense Ministry said on Sept. 17.

"Improvements to the town’s defenses likely indicate Russia’s growing concern about Ukrainian tactical penetrations of the first main defensive line to the north," the intelligence report says.

Ukrainian forces have liberated the village of Klishchiivka in Donetsk Oblast from Russian control, military units and representatives reported on the evening of Sept. 17. Ukraine announces liberation of Klishchiivka in Donetsk Oblast (kyivindependent.com)

Canada sending $33 million in air defence missiles to Ukraine

OTTAWA -
Canada is joining a three-month-old partnership with several key allies to send air defence missiles to Ukraine.

Defence Minister Bill Blair is in the United Kingdom today and announced Canada's $33 million contribution on a visit to Canadian soldiers helping train Ukrainian recruits at Lydd Military Training Camp.

The money comes from the $500 million fund Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced in June 2023 for military assistance in Ukraine.

The slippery slope is in SB's comment above. "Canadian soldiers are helping to train Ukrainian recruits". So, we provide arms, training, and...doesn't this sound familiar? Afghanistan, Vietnam...it all starts this way.

My own term:

" Forever War$ "

MOO and Peace

The slippery slope is in SB's comment above. "Canadian soldiers are helping to train Ukrainian recruits". So, we provide arms, training, and...doesn't this sound familiar? Afghanistan, Vietnam...it all starts this way.
I'm going to politely disagree.
I don't think the US will ever send troops again unless the US or NATO are a direct participant in the conflict.

We all agree Peace is the answer.

JMO

Last edited:

Deep Trenches 'Allow You To Walk Straight': Ukrainian Amputee Soldier Returns To Front Lines

Ukrainian soldier Artem Kholodkevych says he had no interest in taking a safe desk job far from the front after losing his leg to a Russian mine. After five months of walking with a prosthetic limb, he can move around the defensive trenches his fellow soldiers live in with ease.

First-Person Firepower: Ukrainian Drone Unit Hunts Down Russian Armor

Remotely piloting fast, light FPV (or First-Person View) drones, a Ukrainian aerial attack unit has become adept at chasing down Russian targets. RFE/RL's Maryan Kushnir travels to the front with the operators who are hunting down enemy targets with increasing accuracy.

At Russian Space Center, Putin, Kim Hold Talks That West Suspects Could Focus On Arms

Russian President Vladimir Putin held talks on September 13 with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who offered his country's "full and unconditional support" to defend what he said was Russia's security interests.

National Resistance Center: Russia plans to bring North Korean workers to occupied Ukraine. The Kremlin intends to bring North Korean workers to occupied regions of eastern Ukraine, the National Resistance Center reported on Sept. 17.

CBS: Each side fires 40,000 shells a day on front line. Ukraine and Russia each fire 40,000 shells per day across the front line, which stretches over 1,000 kilometers through Ukrainian territory, CBS reported during a "60 Minutes" interview with President Volodymyr Zelensky on Sept. 17.

Top UN court resumes hearings in Ukraine genocide case against Russia. The United Nations' International Court of Justice (ICJ) has resumed hearings on Ukraine's lawsuit against Russia over false allegations of genocide that Moscow used to justify its full-scale invasion.

From Sept. 18 to Sept. 27, the Hague-based court will hold public hearings on preliminary objections raised by Russia. Top UN court resumes hearings in Ukraine genocide case against Russia (kyivindependent.com)

Last week was marked by events of strategic importance that could significantly affect the course of the war. Our weekly frontline report analyzed the most important developments and trends of the Russo-Ukrainian war last week. Weekly Frontline Update: Ukrainian counteroffensive is gaining momentum (euromaidanpress.com)

UK Defense Ministry: Thousands of Russian airborne troops redeployed to Robotyne as infantry.

Russia has likely redeployed at least 5 airborne regiments to the area of Robotyne, Zaporizhzhia Oblast, to reinforce the "hard-pressed" 58th Combined Arms Army, the ministry wrote.

“At full strength, such a force should constitute around 10,000 elite paratroopers,” the ministry reported in its latest intelligence update. “However, almost all units are highly likely dramatically under strength.” UK Defense Ministry: Thousands of Russian airborne troops redeployed to Robotyne as infantry (kyivindependent.com)

Russia’s situation worsens on the southern front as their forces diminish and cracks begin to show in the strategies of two leading generals.
Russia’s southern mistake — Surovikin lines, Gerasimov tactics (kyivindependent.com)

North Korean troops fighting for Russia?

I suppose they will do anything to get out of North Korea.

I'd suspect a lot of defections.
It outta be interesting, that’s for sure.

I’ve read a great deal about life inside North Korea and have saved quotes I’ve found interesting over the years. One US journalist who was able to visit the country said this —

“The government lies to the outside world. The government lies to the people. The press lies to the people. The people lie to each other. The tour guides lie to the tourists. And it can really mess with your mind as a visitor. I’d find myself in these perplexing situations trying to figure out if a lie-spouting North Korean was in on it or not. Was she thinking, ‘I know this is false, you know this is false, but I live here so I gotta play the game?’ Or was she fully brainwashed and thought she was telling me the truth? It was impossible to tell. During interactions, I’d find myself thinking, ‘Are you an actor in The Truman Show and you think I’m Truman? Or are you Truman and I’m one of the actors?’ Are those kids on the street just pretending to be playing for my benefit? Is any of this real? Am I real?”

Personally, I’ll believe KJU sent “North Korean workers” to Ukraine when I see it.

I think the pertinent analogy is Germany under Hitler.

If Ukraine falls, Democracy will be hanging by the thinest of threads.

Everybody in the whole world who appreciates government by the people for the people should be lobbying their elected representatives (should they be fortunate enough to have them) to do everything to make sure Ukraine preserves its democracy.

Because in turn, Ukraine is saving democracy for the whole world.

Say no to appeasement.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members