Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has then been reported by any other sources?

———-

Russia used a vacuum bomb on the fifth day of its invasion of Ukraine, it has been claimed.

The bomb, also known as a thermobaric weapon or aerosol bomb, draws oxygen from the atmosphere to create a bigger and more devastating explosion.

The claim was made by Oksana Markarova – the Ukrainian ambassador to the US – who was approached by reporters after a meeting with White House lawmakers in which aid for Ukraine was discussed.

She did not reveal where the vacuum bomb was unleashed.

Ms Markarova told reporters: “They used the vacuum bomb today, which is actually prohibited by the Geneva convention.

Russia used vacuum bomb during invasion, Ukrainian ambassador claims

I posted about it this morning. Let me see if I can find it.

When I googled "Russia vaccum bomb" it came up with quite a few other articles saying the same

Thanks.
I am trying to see if anyone/media/government has verified anything beyond the claim. I haven’t had luck with that yet.

ETA: I am not all suggesting a cry of wolf. I am however concerned about accuracy in relaying such a claim.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498243206374379521?t=topXgCtiTkk-YyTe2-UKLg&s=19

⚡️Zelensky: Ukraine to release prisoners with combat experience.

Zelensky said it was a difficult moral choice but that it was necessary for the country’s defense. He said the the prisoners will be fighting in the hottest spots.

“The key is defense now.”

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498255934333894656?t=mUKh-bJpT91z_fVC6nNL-A&s=19

⚡️Russian forces burn museum with paintings of Maria Prymachenko.

A history museum in Ivankiv town, Kyiv Oblast, was destroyed by a Russian attack, according to Ustyna Stefanchuk, an art collector. The museum had about 25 works by famous Ukrainian artist Prymachenkoю

(I think they've destroyed several museums. I'll look for that again.)

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498282971412979713?t=mfV-fh3Dan05onKlSC-yuA&s=19

⚡️Oil depot burns after artillery shelling in Okhtyrka, Sumy Oblast.

Mayor Pavlo Kuzmenko reported that Russian occupiers dropped a vacuum bomb. This type of weapon is known as the most deadly non-nuclear bomb, producing high-temperature explosions.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498283832914685955?t=cNLLJTamqWBEdDVul4Tglw&s=19

⚡️National Bank of Ukraine receives Hr 1 billion ($33 million) in support for armed forces.

Earlier, the bank had opened a special account where Ukrainians and foreigners can donate money to support the military.

@Tiff23fr

Thanks. So the claim is it was at the oil depot. I was trying to find the location it would have occurred….. hmmm

From Your Post:
Oil depot burns after artillery shelling in Okhtyrka, Sumy Oblast.

Mayor Pavlo Kuzmenko reported that Russian occupiers dropped a vacuum bomb. This type of weapon is known as the most deadly non-nuclear bomb, producing high-temperature explosions.

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1498283832914685955?t=cNLLJTamqWBEdDVul4Tglw&s=19

I think it says 'Also Not Russi A'

I think so but that’d be technically wrong!

Kaliningrad Oblast would, strategically, be a good asset to take from Russia, being one of their few warm water ports and therefore essential in winter months. Not sure I’d want to be there right now, they’re a bit exposed.

Reuters
Patricia Zengerle and Eric Beech
Feb 28, 2022
Russia used a prohibited vacuum bomb on Monday, Ukraine's ambassador to U.S. says | National Post
“They used the vacuum bomb today, which is actually prohibited by the Geneva convention,” Ambassador Oksana Markarova said after a meeting with lawmakers. “The devastation that Russia is trying to inflict on Ukraine is large.”

''A vacuum bomb uses oxygen from the surrounding air to generate a high-temperature explosion, typically producing a blast wave of a significantly longer duration than that of a conventional explosive.''

Reuters
Patricia Zengerle and Eric Beech
Feb 28, 2022
Russia used a prohibited vacuum bomb on Monday, Ukraine's ambassador to U.S. says | National Post
“They used the vacuum bomb today, which is actually prohibited by the Geneva convention,” Ambassador Oksana Markarova said after a meeting with lawmakers. “The devastation that Russia is trying to inflict on Ukraine is large.”

''A vacuum bomb uses oxygen from the surrounding air to generate a high-temperature explosion, typically producing a blast wave of a significantly longer duration than that of a conventional explosive.''

It doesn’t make it easier to swallow, but the oil depot would likely fall under a military target classification.

Bloomberg
@business

19m

LATEST: The invasion of Ukraine is causing a mass exodus of companies from Russia, reversing three decades of foreign investment. Here's who's leaving

The List of Foreign Companies Pulling Out of Russia Keeps Growing

Where this lands will be another huge signal for the future of firms, corporations and aligning with their morals and values when it comes to a humanitarian crisis and/or the future of war. IMO

Consultancy firms provide significant guidance behind the scenes to World Leaders and organizations, especially during times of conflict and PR crisis.

From the article:

Other firms have come under fire for not getting out entirely. McKinsey & Co.’s global managing partner Bob Sternfels took to LinkedIn on Sunday to condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine and declare that the firm will no longer do business with any government entity in Russia. But he is not pulling out. For some inside and outside the company, his move was insufficient.

The consultancy’s most senior executive in Ukraine called on companies to go further, and begin, where possible, shutting “offices and outlets” in Russia, where McKinsey has operated for nearly 30 years.

Last edited:
The teen famous for tracking Elon Musk's jet has a new target: Russian oligarchs

The teenager who created a Twitter account that tracks Elon Musk's private jet has turned his talents to a new subject: Russian oligarchs.

A new account, called Russian Oligarch Jets, has started tracking the whereabouts of some of Russia's wealthiest businessmen, posting when and where their aircraft takes off and lands. The automated feed posted its first tweet on Sunday after the US sanctioned several members of Russian President Vladimir Putin's inner circle and pledged to hunt down and freeze their assets, including their yachts and mansions.

Why has the 40 mile long convoy not been targeted by bombs or missiles or Molotov cocktails? It seems like it would slow them down if they could just take out the first half mile of vehicles.
This is probably a silly newbie post but that’s what I am. Don’t know much about war or military weapons.

Why has the 40 mile long convoy not been targeted by bombs or missiles or Molotov cocktails? It seems like it would slow them down if they could just take out the first half mile of vehicles.
This is probably a silly newbie post but that’s what I am. Don’t know much about war or military weapons.

It could be possible that would require shifting what manpower and resources they have away from Kyiv. This could create a significant vulnerability right where Russia is looking to take over. JMO

Frustrated Putin may order escalation of violence in Ukraine, U.S. officials say

Western intelligence agencies have good visibility into the Russian leader right now and are closely watching his moves for any significant behavioral changes, several current and former officials said. Four American officials said there’s no intelligence saying that he is mentally unstable, but said he has displayed a different pattern of behavior than in the past.

The U.S. has solid intelligence that Putin is frustrated and expressing unusual bursts of anger at people in his inner circle over the state of the military campaign so far and the worldwide condemnation of his actions, two current and one former U.S. officials briefed on the intelligence told NBC News.

That’s unusual, they say, because Putin, a former Russian intelligence officer, usually keeps his emotions in check.

“He is no longer the same cold-blooded, clear-eyed dictator that he was in 2008,”
former CIA Director John Brennan told NBC News.

A Western diplomat said the Russian president appeared to be increasingly insulated and misinformed.

“The main concern is the information he’s getting and how isolated he is. The isolation is a really big concern,“ the diplomat told NBC News. “We don’t believe he has a realistic understanding of what’s going on.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hills89