Not open for further replies.

margarita25

Reaction score
Live updates: Russia attacks Ukraine

WS:

Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 **Media Thread** NO DISCUSSION

Military Times
Live Twitter updates from Russia’s massive Ukraine invasion

“As Russian President Vladimir Putin tonight announced a special “special military operation” and reportedly launched a major attack on neighboring Ukraine, President Joe Biden responded that the Russian government would be held accountable for “catastrophic loss of life and human suffering.”

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
APPROVED SOURCES
(In addition to approved MSM from around the world)

The Kyiv Independent
Ukrinform
Nexta TV
Hromadske
Interfax - Ukraine
AtlanticCouncil.org

NON APPROVED SOURCES
(Do not link to the following Russian state affiliated agencies or sources that promote or spread false information)

TASS
Korrespondent media and all other UMH Group publications found here
RT and RT America
Sputnik
Russia 24
RIA Novosti
Dozhd TV
Ekho Moskvy

Last edited by a moderator:
rbbm.
Last Updated Mar 1, 2022, 10:17AM EST.
CityNews
''Kharkiv’s Freedom Square — Ukraine’s largest plaza, and the nucleus of public life for the city — was struck with what was believed to be a missile, in an attack seen by many Ukrainians as brazen evidence that the Russian invasion wasn’t just about hitting military targets but also about breaking their spirits.''

“People are under the ruins. We have pulled out bodies,” said Yevhen Vasylenko, a representative of the Emergency Situations Ministry in Kharkiv region. In addition to the six killed, 20 were wounded in the strike, he said.''

''Russia’s goals in hitting central Kharkiv were not immediately clear. Western officials speculated that it is trying to pull in Ukrainian forces to defend the city while a larger Russian force encircles Kyiv.''

Russian troops continued their advance toward the capital, a city of nearly three million. The convoy was 25 kilometers from the center of the city and stretched about 65 kilometers, according to satellite imagery from Maxar Technologies.''

“The 38-year-old managing partner at UNIT.City said troops spoke of how they were in military training when their commander gave them an order to “go that way”. Before they knew it they were waging a war against their neighbour.

“They are just following the orders that they have,” Mr Yevtushenko said. “They are kids, born in 2000 and 2002, they are frustrated, our army forces don’t even know what to do with those kids, and there are thousands of those guys now on the fields of Ukraine – killed.”

Russians troops are disoriented, hungry, and don't understand why they invaded, says Ukrainian

I know that this article dates from a few days ago,but imo - it shows how senseless,this all is...

So is Russia, in effect, sacrificing young men to save more experienced soldiers?

So is Russia, in effect, sacrificing young men to save more experienced soldiers?
I have wondered about that as well. It is possible that Putin thought he could win this with very inexperienced troops instead of his more experience and better trained soldiers and could keep them in Russia because he is paranoid of being invaded. I'd also be willing to bet that Putin has his most trusted units surrounding him out of fear of a coup.

By Li Yuan
Feb. 28, 2022 rbbm.
Lengthy article.
Why the Chinese Internet Is Cheering Russia’s Invasion
''Mr. Putin’s speech on Thursday, which essentially portrayed the conflict as one waged against the West, won loud cheers on Chinese social media. Many people said they were moved to tears. “If I were Russian, Putin would be my faith, my light,” wrote @jinyujiyiliangxiaokou, a user of the Twitter-like platform Weibo.

As the world overwhelmingly condemns Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the Chinese internet, for the most part, is pro-Russia, pro-war and pro-Putin.

Mr. Putin’s portrayal of Russia as a victim of the West’s political, ideological and military aggression has resonated deeply with many on social media. It dovetails with China’s narrative that the United States and its allies are afraid of China’s rise and the alternative world order it could create''

''Nationalistic emotions on social media were also sparked by the Chinese Embassy in Ukraine. Unlike most embassies in Kyiv, it didn’t urge its citizens to evacuate. Hours into the war, it advised Chinese people to post the country’s red flag conspicuously on their vehicles when traveling, indicating that it would provide protection.''

''The state-owned People’s Daily, CCTV and many top government agencies posted about that on Weibo. Many people used the hashtag #theChineseredwillprotectyou, referring to the flag.
The idea echoed a movie, the 2017 Chinese blockbuster “Wolf Warrior 2,” which ends with the hero taking fellow passengers safely through a war zone in Africa as he holds a Chinese flag high. “It’s Chinese,” an armed fighter says. “Hold your fire.”

Last edited:
Do you mean which countries by gas/oil from Russia?

I'm trying to find that, in the meantime here's a chart for US imports, and it does have Russia on the list. Looks a fairly small amount, so hopefully that will be reduced to 0 soon? It looks like an amount that can be juggled. The main place US gets its imports is Canada, as I thought, but they don't import from Venezuela after all, presumably for political reasons?

Here's some of the main buyers of crude oil from Russia:
China, Netherlands, Germany
South Korea, Poland, Italy
Belarus, Finland, Japan, Slovakia

I would prefer to see that list in bpd (barrels per day) but it's the best I can find for now.

Russia: main crude oil export destinations 2020 | Statista

Statista won't let me see the natural gas exports from Russia.

I'm really struggling to find a nice easy list format.

This is an interesting site for trade stats, if you can figure it out. I've tried scrolling down to the commodities and then clicking the name of the commodity I'm interested in, then the right side appears to show the importing countries.

If I'm understanding it right, the main importers of Russian natural gas are:
Italy, Belarus, Slovakia.
Norway, Czeckia, Hungary, Poland, Greece
France, Serbia, Bulgaria

I'm not sure how helpful that is, because I'm sure some countries in Eastern Europe get 100% of gas supplies from Russia? It would help more to know how much the countries get by unit and as a percentage of their demand.

But it's a nice portal as it also shows other Russian exports like Wheat and metals.

Russia (RUS) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners | OEC

I'm sure thee are sites that have simple lists to answer these queries and I'm coming up short on what I'm looking for. Sorry. It's my failure in searching and sorting the results, it can't be that it doesn't exist.
Yes. Thank you. I found the same problems when I was researching it myself. Since it seems such a point of contention right now, I wanted to be more knowledgeable about it. I thought it was interesting Russia's major exports were
grains and fertilisers exporter, top palladium and nickel producer, third-largest exporter of coal and steel, and fifth-largest wood exporter.
View attachment 335254
https://www.reuters.

It just convinces me more and more that Putin is just a meglomanic and wants to restore the Russian Empire. I can only think of one way he can be stopped but I'm afraid there will be someone waiting to take his place. How can one person be creating all this havoc. I'm very cynical about the whole debacle. There has to be more to this than what is being reported to us. Putin could end this very quickly if he wanted to without all the destruction and bloodshed. I'm all for pride and love of country, but these babies lives should be more important. MOO

rbbm.
Russia strikes Kyiv TV tower, killing 5 and damaging Babi Yar Holocaust memorial
''An apparent Russian airstrike hit Kyiv’s main television tower in the heart of the Ukrainian capital on Tuesday, knocking out some state broadcasting but leaving the structure intact.

After a blast sounded around the city and smoke was seen rising in the Babi Yar district, the interior ministry said equipment had been damaged and “channels won’t work for a while.”

At least five people died and five were injured in the missile strike, the Ukrainian emergencies service said.

Images from the scene showed charred bodies and cars damaged in the apparent Russian attack, which knocked out some broadcasts.''

“To the world: what is the point of saying ‘never again’ for 80 years, if the world stays silent when a bomb drops on the same site of Babyn Yar? At least 5 killed. History repeating,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, who is Jewish and had family members die in the Holocaust, wrote in a tweet.''

Excerpt:
Nobody forgets that democracy was born in Ukraine after young Ukrainians were shot at for waving EU flags in Maidan (Square). We do not have short memories in Europe. We know that Ukraine is a part of the family and they are absolutely right and legitimate in their request to formally join the European Union,” Schinas said.

Live updates: Russia invades Ukraine

rbbm.
Ottawa takes aim at Russian propaganda on Canadian TV | The Star

''Allowing Russian propaganda to flow freely into Canadian homes is not a free-speech issue but one of national security, Kolga said, charging that RT has actively promoted vaccination hesitancy and conspiracy theories about the COVID-19 pandemic in an attempt to divide Canadians.

Kolga said RT has been promoting anti-government conspiracies, including giving voice to those who want to overthrow the government. He noted that the so-called “Freedom Convoy” protesters in Ottawa highlighted the kinds of narratives shared on the network.

Kolga said governments should sanction organizations like RT and their staff, so Canadians can’t get paid for working for them. Such action, he said, would block “the ability for the crooked individual, maybe an academic, to receive payment for writing columns that attack democracy, NATO, Canada using those platforms like RT.”

Without commenting on RTV, as I don’t watch it, and don’t care, however…Maybe there is something I don’t see, but it is easy to blame antivaxxers on Russia and do nothing about the core issues generating this group. But, again, maybe Kolga knows better as I don’t watch RTV. JMO.

Seasoned, older, soldiers might be viewed as the support base of the government. Not so - the young people who, per polls, are way more vocal and unafraid. JMO.

AFP News Agency
@AFP

8m

#UPDATE Russia's media watchdog has been ordered to "restrict access" to independent TV channel Dozhd TV and liberal radio station Ekho Moskvy, both accused of spreading "deliberately false information" about Russia's invasion of Ukraine

The Kyiv Independent@KyivIndependent·3m⚡️CNN: Russia fired more than 400 missiles on Ukraine.
Citing an anonymous senior U.S. defense official, CNN wrote that Ukraine still has air missile defense systems that remain “viable and intact and engaged.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
difficultgrownup