Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
worldwatcher said:

“The 38-year-old managing partner at UNIT.City said troops spoke of how they were in military training when their commander gave them an order to “go that way”. Before they knew it they were waging a war against their neighbour.

“They are just following the orders that they have,” Mr Yevtushenko said. “They are kids, born in 2000 and 2002, they are frustrated, our army forces don’t even know what to do with those kids, and there are thousands of those guys now on the fields of Ukraine – killed.”

Russians troops are disoriented, hungry, and don't understand why they invaded, says Ukrainian

I know that this article dates from a few days ago,but imo - it shows how senseless,this all is...

IIRC, 80% of the Russian army sent to invade were conscripts. They had no real training and were very young. They were lied to about what was happening. They thought it was all a training exercise and didn't know they were actually going into Ukraine until it happened.

When the Ukrainian member of the UN General Assembly spoke on Monday, he read from what I'm gathering was a phone found on a dead Russians young man. He had texted with his Mom. It was so very sad, so tragic. My heart aches for these mothers and fathers whose children were ill-equipped, lied to and died so unnecessarily.

'I’m afraid': Heartbreaking final texts between young Russian solider and mother

Apologies for unintended double posts.
March 1 2022
Ukraine says Russia targeting civilians as missiles hit Kyiv TV tower | Ukraine | The Guardian
''Russia is planning a major psychological operation to try to persuade Ukrainians to capitulate, and is targeting civilians with missile strikes in an attempt to demoralise the population, the government in Kyiv said on Tuesday.

Two Russian missiles struck the TV tower in the Ukrainian capital, knocking out some access to news and broadcasts. Ukraine’s defence minister, Oleksii Reznikov, said the Kremlin was preparing to cut off a large part of Ukraine from the internet and communications.

“Its goal is to break the resistance of the people and the army. They can arrange a breakdown of connection. After [that] the spread of massive fake messages that the country’s leadership has given up,” Reznikov posted on Twitter. He added: “No surrender! Only victory!”

Last edited:
March 1 2022
Russia-Ukraine: Khamenei blasts U.S. 'mafia-like regime' | CTV News
''VIENNA -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday the war in Ukraine should be stopped and accused the United States, which he called a "mafia-like regime," of creating the conflict.

Iran's top political authority also said the roots of the conflict must be acknowledged.

"Basically, the U.S. regime creates crises, lives off of crises and feeds on various crises in the world. Ukraine is another victim of this policy," Khamenei said in a televised speech.''

''While Iran and the United States have been foes for decades, Tehran and Moscow are strategic partners. Tehran and Moscow are military allies in the conflict in Syria. Russia is also an important trade partner because of Western sanctions against Iran.''

Russia attacks Ukraine: Thousands approved to come to Canada | CTV News
rbbm.
''OTTAWA -- Nearly 4,000 Ukrainians have been approved to immigrate to Canada since conflict with Russia began, Canada's immigration minister said Monday.
The Canadian government prioritized existing immigration applications from Ukraine since thousands of people began to flee Russian aggression in the region.''

"The European Union, and most recently Ireland, have already waived the requirements for visas for Ukrainians''

''As for Canadians in Russia, the prime minister would not commit to repatriating those who could potentially face a backlash as a result of Canada's actions in support of Ukraine.''

Zelensky urges Biden to send strong message on Russia and says: 'I'm not iconic. Ukraine is iconic' - CNN

Asked by CNN about his transformation from comic actor to world-famous wartime leader, Zelensky responded: "It's very serious, it's not a movie ... I'm not iconic, I think Ukraine is iconic."
"Ukraine is the heart of Europe, and now I think Europe sees Ukraine is something special for this world," he added. "That's why [the] world can't lose this something special."

The Ukrainian leader appeared tired and stressed but was friendly with crews from CNN and Reuters. He said he hadn't seen his family for three days; asked what his typical days are like, he said: "Work and sleep."

Vast Russian military convoy may be harbinger of a siege of Kyiv

Analysis: convoy estimated to be 40 miles long raises fears of siege tactics and escalating civilian casualties

(...)

In places, the military vehicles can be seen three abreast, almost blocking the road. Other images of the convoy seem to explain its belligerent purpose: fuel tankers and trucks carrying food, ammunition and soldiers.

Elsewhere, just visible are the shapes of towed and self-propelled artillery pieces, BMP3 armoured carriers and Russian main tanks. In places you can see the tracks of Russian vehicles that have gone off the road – perhaps to scout against attack from the flanks – visible in the fresh snow covering the fields.

Indications of smoke from burning buildings off the road, although not on it, backed up by thermal imaging data from Nasa’s global fire tracking service, suggest, perhaps, outgoing fire from vehicles in the convoy towards Ukrainian positions.

And in some images released by Maxar on Monday, troops appeared to have arrived at where they would halt, deploying in camps outside the city, including in and around the town of Zdvyzhivka, to the north of Kyiv.

All have been assembled for what western intelligence agencies and analysts believe is an imminent attempt to close Russia’s military encirclement of Kyiv and put the city under siege in its latest attempt to topple Ukraine’s government and install a Kremlin-friendly regime.

The presence of the convoy, growing and intact, prompts several conclusions as things stand. Despite its scale and the way it has blocked the road for miles, it appears largely unmolested. This suggests Ukraine’s air force is no longer sufficiently intact to target it in a meaningful way and that Ukraine has not been able to bring drones, used successfully elsewhere, to hit it.

(...)

There is mounting, urgent concern among western officials that Russian forces are planning to employ siege tactics against Kyiv, cutting off supplies and routes in and out, before moving in.

Already, faced with the threat of the buildup barely an hour away, some of those residents of Kyiv not attempting to leave have been digging trenches and setting up barricades to repel the expected assault.

(...)

Zelensky urges Biden to send strong message on Russia and says: 'I'm not iconic. Ukraine is iconic' - CNN

Asked by CNN about his transformation from comic actor to world-famous wartime leader, Zelensky responded: "It's very serious, it's not a movie ... I'm not iconic, I think Ukraine is iconic."
"Ukraine is the heart of Europe, and now I think Europe sees Ukraine is something special for this world," he added. "That's why [the] world can't lose this something special."

The Ukrainian leader appeared tired and stressed but was friendly with crews from CNN and Reuters. He said he hadn't seen his family for three days; asked what his typical days are like, he said: "Work and sleep."

Kyiv residents and reservists are digging trenches and preparing Molotov cocktails as the Russian army bears down on the Ukrainian capital

Vid on twitter from - Al Jazeera English:

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1498653959053058050?s=20&t=CUXUKgAdzdu4n6BZVg0pNQ

Alec Luhn@ASLuhn Twitter
Scripps environmental journalism fellow interested in the far north. Former Russia correspondent for@guardian&@telegraph
On Wisconsin!

Putin's operation to "de-Nazify" Ukraine just made a rocket strike on the Babi Yar memorial complex to Jews killed by the Nazis

[Quoted Tweet] Володимир Зеленський@ZelenskyyUa · 2h

To the world: what is the point of saying «never again» for 80 years, if the world stays silent when a bomb drops on the same site of Babyn Yar? At least 5 killed. History repeating…

12:07 PM · Mar 1, 2022·Twitter Web App

https://mobile.twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1498706449379340297

I am devastated for the Ukrainian people, and the Innocent Russians who want no part of this.
Putin is a demented mass murderer.

It is so heart breaking to see innocent people die because some demented ruler wants more power -- it is horrifying- someone needs to take this SOB out-- I also worry about Putin having his finger on the nuclear button- people should worry and not just think he is bluffing---

Alec Luhn (@ASLuhn)

Kids at school #7 in Chernomorsk are spending free time making camouflage netting for Ukrainian troops @unian https://t.co/9l8Ll0Lt48 https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1498619604196810753?s=20&t=bdSvQ8plyN70WS0VrzWDOg

I agree with one of the comments.. heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time..

Lady in the neighborhood passed not long ago and she worked in a factory making parachutes, WW2.

….

Russia-Ukraine updates: Russian units ‘surrendering’ without a fight as morale plummets: Pentagon

Russia-Ukraine news: Latest updates of war in Europe

As an unprecedented raft of international sanctions began to bite, including crippling measures against Russia’s central bank preventing it from using its $630bn of foreign reserves to prop up the rouble, the oil giant Shell became the latest western firm to announce it was pulling out of Russia.

BP and Norway’s Equinor have also said they are quitting the country, which relies on oil and gas for export earnings, while multiple major banks, airlines and carmakers have ended partnerships, halted shipments and denounced the Russian invasion.

The shipping group Maersk followed other international transport groups on Tuesday in saying it was suspending all container shipments to and from Russia except those containing food, medical and humanitarian supplies.

In the cultural arena, three major film studios, Sony, Disney and Warner Bros, said they were pausing cinema releases in Russia, and YouTube is in the process of blocking Russia’s state-backed news channels RT and Sputnik in Europe.

Russia has also been barred from most major sporting competitions, while World Taekwondo has stripped Putin himself, who is passionate about martial arts and his athletic prowess, of his honorary black belt because of the invasion

Huge armoured column nears Kyiv as ‘barbaric’ missile strikes continue

It is so heart breaking to see innocent people die because some demented ruler wants more power -- it is horrifying- someone needs to take this SOB out-- I also worry about Putin having his finger on the nuclear button- people should worry and not just think he is bluffing---

Putin isn’t bluffing but the reality is, he is not the only one with nuclear weapons and he knows that.
If the Russian military does lay siege to Kyiv the West would need to keep it supplied and I would imagine that would be by air drops. Then the Russian Air Force would have to decide what to do about that. Things escalate quickly.

2 hours ago
Eric Schmitt

Some Russian troops are surrendering or sabotaging vehicles rather than fight, a Pentagon official says.
merlin_203048895_1aa78e30-82f7-49a1-ab09-f54cc56cc99d-jumbo.jpg

Pro-Russian troops in the separatist-controlled settlement of Mykolaivka, Ukraine, on Tuesday.Credit...Alexander Ermochenko/Reuters
WASHINGTON — Plagued by poor morale as well as fuel and food shortages, some Russian troops in Ukraine have surrendered en masse or sabotaged their own vehicles to avoid fighting, a senior Pentagon official said on Tuesday.

Some entire Russian units have laid down their arms without a fight after confronting surprisingly stiff Ukrainian defense, the official said. A significant number of the Russian troops are young conscripts who are poorly trained and ill-prepared for the all-out assault. And in some cases, Russian troops have deliberately punched holes in their vehicles’ gas tanks, presumably to avoid combat, the official said.

Live Updates: Explosions Shake Kyiv and Ukraine’s Second-Largest City

Putin isn’t bluffing but the reality is, he is not the only one with nuclear weapons and he knows that.
If the Russian military does lay siege to Kyiv the West would need to keep it supplied and I would imagine that would be by air drops. Then the Russian Air Force would have to decide what to do about that. Things escalate quickly.
If he uses nuclear weapons or harms the nuclear power plants ALL bets are off, the gloves come off and NATO is in it 100%.

I can't believe this can come to be, I just can't

If he uses nuclear weapons or harms the nuclear power plants ALL bets are off, the gloves come off and NATO is in it 100%.

I can't believe this can come to be, I just can't

I don't think he is scared enough to use nuclear weapons, yet.

If he tries it, then nuclear war breaks out and Russia and Belarus will be the ONLY targets of the nuclear warheads of all of the nuclear European power, Canada and the US. Putin has a myriad of places he would have to drop nuclear warheads.

EVERYTHING associated with Russian power would be destroyed: Moscow, his billion dollar fortress, the Crimean pennisula, all major cities in Russia and any place he is known to hide out or frequent. All of the oil generating facilites, natural gas facilities would be decimated.

He would lose by winning because there would not be enough of Russia left to worship him and applaud his great wisdom.

Last edited:
Vast Russian military convoy may be harbinger of a siege of Kyiv

Analysis: convoy estimated to be 40 miles long raises fears of siege tactics and escalating civilian casualties

(...)

In places, the military vehicles can be seen three abreast, almost blocking the road. Other images of the convoy seem to explain its belligerent purpose: fuel tankers and trucks carrying food, ammunition and soldiers.

Elsewhere, just visible are the shapes of towed and self-propelled artillery pieces, BMP3 armoured carriers and Russian main tanks. In places you can see the tracks of Russian vehicles that have gone off the road – perhaps to scout against attack from the flanks – visible in the fresh snow covering the fields.

Indications of smoke from burning buildings off the road, although not on it, backed up by thermal imaging data from Nasa’s global fire tracking service, suggest, perhaps, outgoing fire from vehicles in the convoy towards Ukrainian positions.

And in some images released by Maxar on Monday, troops appeared to have arrived at where they would halt, deploying in camps outside the city, including in and around the town of Zdvyzhivka, to the north of Kyiv.

All have been assembled for what western intelligence agencies and analysts believe is an imminent attempt to close Russia’s military encirclement of Kyiv and put the city under siege in its latest attempt to topple Ukraine’s government and install a Kremlin-friendly regime.

The presence of the convoy, growing and intact, prompts several conclusions as things stand. Despite its scale and the way it has blocked the road for miles, it appears largely unmolested. This suggests Ukraine’s air force is no longer sufficiently intact to target it in a meaningful way and that Ukraine has not been able to bring drones, used successfully elsewhere, to hit it.

(...)

There is mounting, urgent concern among western officials that Russian forces are planning to employ siege tactics against Kyiv, cutting off supplies and routes in and out, before moving in.

Already, faced with the threat of the buildup barely an hour away, some of those residents of Kyiv not attempting to leave have been digging trenches and setting up barricades to repel the expected assault.

(...)
One B-52 could obliterate that entire column. Or a few A10 Warthogs or Apaches could do serious damage.

I don't think he is scared enough to use nuclear weapons, yet.

If he tries it, then nuclear war breaks out and Russia and Belarus will be the ONLY targets of the nuclear warheads of all of the nuclear European power, Canada and the US. Putin has a myriad of places he would have to drop nuclear warheads.

EVERYTHING associated with Russian power would be destroyed: Moscow, his billion dollar fortress, the Crimean pennisula, all major cities in Russia and any place he is known to hide out or frequent.

He would lose by winning because there would not be enough of Russia left to worship him and applaud his great wisdom.
What scares me is that's all very logical thinking...none of what Putin has said or done in the past week has been logical. Look at the havoc he's wreaked for his country. I tend to believe the people who know and have known him in the past, the ones who have come out and said he's not acting his normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member