Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ukrainians also dislike 'the' Ukraine. It mirrors the Russian way of referring to it as a region rather than a country in its own right. In Russia they often use the preposition 'na' before Ukraine to indicate it is just an area or region rather than 'v', which is used for a separate country, although Ukrainians have formally requested that 'v Ukraini' is always used.

Ukraine, Not the Ukraine: The Significance of Three Little Letters
I wondered why people kept referring to it that way. I turned to my husband and said… “Why do I keep hearing people say in the Ukraine? We don’t say in the France, or in the Poland, or in the Russia.” I thought maybe it was a lost in translation type of thing.

wow then that is great news!!!
I hope it is true. I’ve been following this reporter for days and everything he has reported on has been accurate. I am pretty sure I’ve seen some of his tweets posted on this thread. Still looking for someone else to report on the story and hoping to learn how it happened.

I wondered why people kept referring to it that way. I turned to my husband and said… “Why do I keep hearing people say in the Ukraine? We don’t say in the France, or in the Poland, or in the Russia.” I thought maybe it was a lost in translation type of thing.

I don't think it's a lost in translation thing as we refer to 'the' United States and other countries too.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 2 hours ago
CNN: Russia is poised to deploy up to 1,000 more mercenaries to Ukraine. The U.S. has already seen “some indications” that Russian mercenaries may be involved in Moscow’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine “in some places,” a senior defense official said earlier this week.

⚡️Reports of fighting taking place in streets of Sumy.
Residents are asked to stay at home or go to a safe place.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 1 hour ago
⚡️Uniqlo’s parent company will donate $10 million and 200,000 clothing items to UNHCR to support people forced to flee Russia's all-out war on Ukraine.
The donation will be used to provide urgent assistance such as shelter, psychosocial support and core relief items.

⚡️Air raid alerts in Chernihiv.
Residents should go to the nearest shelter.

⚡️Air raid alert in Kyiv.

⚡️Air raid alert in Kyiv Oblast and Zhytomyr.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 48 minutes ago
⚡️Air raid alert in Sumy. Reports of possible air strike.
Residents must go to the nearest shelter.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 37 minutes ago
⚡️ International Boxing Association bans Russian and Belarusian boxers and competition officials from participating in international boxing competitions.
Wherever not for organizational or legal reasons, they will be allowed to participate as neutral athletes.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 34 minutes ago
⚡️Singapore sanctions Russia in response to its all-out war against Ukraine.
Singapore announced sanctions against Russia on March 5 that include four banks and an export ban on electronics, computers and military items.

⚡️Air raid alert in Lebedyn in Sumy Oblast.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 26 minutes ago
⚡️ Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will visit Europe from March 6- 11 to coordinate new sanctions against Russia and show support for Ukraine.
Trudeau will travel to the United Kingdom, Latvia, Germany, and Poland, the Office of the Prime Minister announced on March 4.

The Kyiv Independent - 19 minutes ago
⚡️In the Bucha district near Kyiv, Russian forces opened fire on a car with civilians.
Two people were killed, including a 17-year-old girl, and four others were injured.
The prosecutor’s office in the Kyiv region has launched criminal proceedings.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 8 minutes ago
⚡️The staff of the Chernobyl nuclear power plant remain trapped 10 days after it was captured by Russian forces.
While they are working in shifts, the staff is "tired mentally and physically, emotionally,” said Yury Fomichev, Mayor of Slavutych.

March 5 2022
CNN, Bloomberg latest to halt Russia operations amid crackdown
''CNN and Bloomberg News have become the latest global media outlets to suspend their operations in Russia after President Vladimir Putin signed into law a new bill that punishes the spreading of “fake news” with jail terms of up to 15 years.''

''The decisions follow similar moves earlier by BBC, ABC, CBS News and Canada’s CBC/Radio-Canada.''

Paul Farhi on Twitter - (Washington Post), 3 hours ago
Some internal news: In response to Putin’s threats against reporters in Russia, the
@washingtonpost will remove bylines and datelines from stories produced by our journalists in Russia. Goal is to ensure staff’s safety. Been around a while. Never seen anything like this.

Paul Farhi on Twitter
Amending this slightly: During the first Gulf War, our reporter, Caryle Murphy, was trapped in Kuwait during the Iraq invasion. Went into hiding. And filed great dispatches. Her stories were published w/o bylines, for obvious reasons. Caryle won a Pulitzer for her work.

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 16 minutes ago
⚡️Air raid alert in Chernihiv.

Last edited:
Sidhant Sibal on Twitter - Principal Diplomatic & Defence Correspondent for
@WIONews

Breaking: Russia declares ceasefire in Ukraine for creation of humanitarian corridor for civilians to be evacuated.

Ceasefire comes into force at
8 am Kyiv time
11.30 am Delhi time
6 am GMT
10am Moscow time

ANI on Twitter
Russia declares ceasefire in Ukraine from 06:00 GMT (Greenwich Mean Time Zone) to open humanitarian corridors for civilians, reports Russia's media outlet Sputnik

GAURAV C SAWANT on Twitter - Senior Executive Editor @IndiaToday
6 hour long ceasefire comes into effect in pockets of #Ukraine. Effort to get trapped students, foreigners & civilians (non combatants) out of the strife torn pockets. Big relief for trapped Indian students in #Kharkiv & #Sumy. Breaking on @IndiaToday & @aajtak. Major challenge!!

Tony Connelly on Twitter - RTE Europe Editor
Russian Defense Ministry announces temporary ceasefire in Ukraine from 10:00 Moscow time, with humanitarian corridors to be established for exit of civilians from Mariupol and Volnovakha: News Outlet Photo via TASS.

News18.com on Twitter
A Russian news agency has claimed that the Russian government has declared a ceasefire from 06:00 GMT to allow opening of humanitarian corridors for evacuating civilians.

(Color me skeptical)

Last edited:
Russia-Ukraine war latest news: Russia to allow humanitarian corridors in Mariupol and Volnovakha | World news | The Guardian
24m ago 01:44

Russia to allow humanitarian corridors, defence ministry says
Reuters reports that Russian forces will stop firing this morning to allow residents of Mariupol and Volnovakha to safely flee their homes.

It cites Interfax news agency:

Russian forces will stop firing at 1000 Moscow time to allow humanitarian corridors out of the Ukrainian cities of Mariupol and Volnovakha, Russia’s defence ministry said, Interfax reported.

[...]

Reports: Russia to observe ceasefire in 2 areas of Ukraine | KOMO (komonews.com)
The Russian Defense Ministry says in a statement carried by the RIA Novosti and Tass agencies it has agreed on evacuation routes with Ukrainian forces to allow civilians to leave the strategic port of Mariupol in the southeast and the eastern town of Volnovakha.

Last edited:
Inwoners Marioepol kunnen weg vanaf 11.00 uur • Zelensky teleurgesteld in NAVO

Fashion group Louis Vuitton closes all branches in Russia

LVMH, the group behind the luxury brands Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior and Givenchy, will close all 124 branches that the French fashion house has in Russia from tomorrow due to the war in Ukraine. A spokesperson told Reuters that the decision was made given the current circumstances in the region.

That will teach them!!! :confused:

Inwoners Marioepol kunnen weg vanaf 11.00 uur • Zelensky teleurgesteld in NAVO

Mariupol City Council: residents are allowed to leave the city from 11 a.m

Mariupol City Council confirms the city's ceasefire to allow residents to leave the city. This will happen from 11 a.m. local time (10 a.m. Dutch time). Russian news agencies say the ceasefire will last for five hours.

An adviser to Ukrainian President Zelensky also confirms on Twitter that the evacuation corridor has been set up.

Tweet https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1500012679448207361 (translated by Google)

In Mariupol and Volnovakha, evacuation humanitarian corridors are being prepared for opening, and columns of those to be evacuated are being formed. The parties temporarily ceased fire in the area of corridors…

I think it's important to note that this is a NATO-accredited research facility that works with many partners, not just NATO allies. It partners with many industry, university, and other international organizations.

https://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/2021/4/pdf/2104-factsheet-cyber-defence-en.pdf

The NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence in Tallinn, Estonia is a NATO-accredited research and training facility dealing with cyber defence education, research and development. The Centre provides valuable expertise on cyber defence, and organises cyber exercises involving both NATO
Allies and partners.

Partnerships play a key role in effectively addressing cyber challenges. NATO engages with a wide range of partners – including international organisations, industry and academia.
There's not that many countries named on their website as "participants", only five listed.

About us

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220305-044425_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220305-044425_Samsung Internet.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 8
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors