Status
Not open for further replies.
Ukraine Declares Biological Emergency Regarding Polio Outbreak

Fact checked by Robert Carlson, MD

Published
October 12, 2021
Fact checked
October 13, 2021

Thank you! So it has nothing to do with Russia.

I suppose the reason children weren't vaccinated was due to covid - parents probably decided to wait. It was already in the population in 2015, so not surprising that delaying vaccines - perhaps due to covid - means a surge in cases. The Oct 2021 first new polio case was an 18 month old child born at the start of the pandemic.

Lovely National Costume!

amateur-3393588.jpg

"The Ukraine Ministry of Health reported on October 7, 2021, a case of acute flaccid paralysis, caused by poliovirus type 2, in an unvaccinated 18-month-old child from the Rivne region, Ukraine.

Ukraine previously declared a polio emergency in 2015."
Ukraine Declares Biological Emergency Regarding Polio Outbreak

Euromaidan Press on Twitter
Reportedly, an anti-war movement is spreading in Belarus via posters & graffitti
PHOTO CREDIT: Anton Herashchenko
FNsPl-hWQAULw2N
FNsPmT9VkAARZH0

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter
Serbia reverses course, won't increase flights to Russia. Serbia had doubled its flights from Belgrade to Moscow in response to higher demand, but has since reversed the decision after sharp criticism.

The country has refused to sanction Russia and has been used to circumvent airspace restrictions to Russian flights.

Vishnu Som on Twitter
1/2 New satellite images from Mariupol reveal a worst-case scenario - destruction of residential complexes, hospitals, industries. Parts of Mariupol are now rubble, similar to what Grozny became during Russia's invasion of Chechnya. See before, after images.
FNsPxlZagAMdthX
FNsP7OtaMAYc4XF

Vishnu Som on Twitter
2/2 Unless there is an off-ramp to this nightmare, the siege of Ukrainian cities will end up becoming this. The human costs are horrific but there are no signs yet of Putin being willing to relent despite his Army, from multiple accounts, sustaining major losses.
FNsQxxkaMAAwabc

Euromaidan Press on Twitter
Reportedly, an anti-war movement is spreading in Belarus via posters & graffitti
PHOTO CREDIT: Anton Herashchenko
FNsPl-hWQAULw2N
FNsPmT9VkAARZH0

Serbia reverses course, won't increase flights to Russia. Serbia had doubled its flights from Belgrade to Moscow in response to higher demand, but has since reversed the decision after sharp criticism.

The country has refused to sanction Russia and has been used to circumvent airspace restrictions to Russian flights.

Vishnu Som on Twitter
1/2 New satellite images from Mariupol reveal a worst-case scenario - destruction of residential complexes, hospitals, industries. Parts of Mariupol are now rubble, similar to what Grozny became during Russia's invasion of Chechnya. See before, after images.
FNsPxlZagAMdthX
FNsP7OtaMAYc4XF

Vishnu Som on Twitter
2/2 Unless there is an off-ramp to this nightmare, the siege of Ukrainian cities will end up becoming this. The human costs are horrific but there are no signs yet of Putin being willing to relent despite his Army, from multiple accounts, sustaining major losses.
FNsQxxkaMAAwabc

Putin's first line of attack was sending new recruits into Ukraine, telling them they would be welcome for liberating them from their Nazi leader. Nevermind that the President of Ukraine is Jewish Ukrainian. There was no strategy, orders were to shoot everyone, including women and children. Then they were told to bomb apartment buildings, schools, hospitals and Mosques.

Next line of attack will be imported soldiers from Syria and mercenaries. If it is urban warfare, it will be brutal, I think. It seems that the strategy is to terrorize everyone into submission.

NEXTA on Twitter
Red Cross hands over body bags for Russian soldiers to Ukraine

No agreement has yet been reached on return of the dead to their homeland

This was announced by the Minister for Reintegration of Temporarily Occupied Territories of Ukraine Iryna Vereshchuk on Ukrainian television.
FNsamdcWQAAbkdp

Euromaidan Press on Twitter - Video
67 civilians killed by [Russian] occupiers were buried in a mass grave near a church in Bucha, a Kyiv suburb. After intense fighting with occupiers, Bucha was besieged on 6 March. The occupiers shelled buildings, executed civilians, fired on evacuees

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 2 min ago
Air raid alerts in almost every region of Ukraine. Sirens have been activated in Uman, Kharkiv, Kramatorsk, Sloviansk, Vinnytsia, Kyiv, Poltava, Zhytomyr, Khmelnytskyi, Lviv, Odesa, Volyn, Zaporizhzha, Berezivka, Izmail, Kiliya, Yuzhne, Chernomorsk, Bilyaivka, & Avdiivka.

As well as in Kyiv, Rivne, Chernihiv, Ternopil, Dnipro, Cherkasy and Sumy Oblasts. Residents have been asked to go to the nearest shelter immediately.

Last edited:
OK this situation with Covid vaccines production in Ukraine explains what had happened. It is not just vaccine hesitancy.

https://forbes.ua/en/company/ukrainska-vaktsina-18032021-1182https://forbes.ua

Just to understand, Soviet planned economy has led to the situation when a bolt could be produced in Russia, the nut, in Ukraine, and the screwdriver, in Latvia. After the Soviet Union ceased to exist, it affected most areas - tractors and harvesters I heard about, but vaccines, too.

MAR 12, 2022
AP PHOTOS: Day 17: Images of destruction, Ukrainian defiance | AP News

A Ukrainian welder builds a tire deflation stringer spike system in Lviv, western Ukraine, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)

Smoke from shelling rises as a wreath of flowers is placed at a cemetery in Vasylkiv south west of Kyiv, Ukraine, Saturday, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Vadim Ghirda)

Refugees that fled the war in Ukraine, with their pets and belongings wait at the Przemysl train station, southeastern Poland, on Saturday, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Daniel Cole)

A fire burns at an apartment building after it was hit by the shelling of a residential district in Mariupol, Ukraine, Friday, March 11, 2022. (AP Photo/Evgeniy Maloletka)

A resident passes by cars burnt in the Russian shellfire as he flees from his hometown on the road towards Kyiv, in the town of Irpin, northwest of Kyiv, Saturday, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)

The Kyiv Independent on Twitter - 2 min ago
Multiple explosions heard in Lviv and Kherson and reports that Lviv is under Russian missile attacks.

NEXTA on Twitter
#British families who house refugees from #Ukraine will get £350 a month in return. The government's Homes for Ukraine program encourages people to give a refugee a spare room or vacant property for at least six months.

It's a misrepresentation of the facts. The 14,000 deaths is correct but only around a quarter of them were civilians. Also that number represents deaths on both sides. Not all were killed by the Ukrainian army. It includes the people killed by the Russian-backed separatists, Ukrainian military deaths and separatist deaths.

22 Jan 2022 — Approximately 14,000 people have been killed in the conflict, more than 3,000 of them civilians, according to the United Nations.

The human toll of the Russia-Ukraine conflict since 2014

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2022/russia-ukraine-conflict-photos-2014/

Thank you.

OK this situation with Covid vaccines production in Ukraine explains what had happened. It is not just vaccine hesitancy.

https://forbes.ua/en/company/ukrainska-vaktsina-18032021-1182https://forbes.ua

Just to understand, Soviet planned economy has led to the situation when a bolt could be produced in Russia, the nut, in Ukraine, and the screwdriver, in Latvia. After the Soviet Union ceased to exist, it affected most areas - tractors and harvesters I heard about, but vaccines, too.

Sounds like NATFA - collaboration between countries to produce car parts. I thought the USSR ceased to exist back in 1980 or so. Surely everyone in Ukraine has figured out how to source parts in the last 40 years.

Vaccines are a different conversation. Countries like Germany, USofA, Australia, Canada all put in an order. It is apparent that it was first come with money, first served regarding vaccines.

Was Ukraine left out of the vaccine conversation? Who did Ukraine look to for vaccines? Did they use Russian, Chinese, or German/EU/UK/USofA etc. vaccines?

What is the history of Ukraine covid vaccine? When did vaccines start, which vaccines were used? What are the demographic stats for vaccine rates?j

MAR 12, 2022
AP PHOTOS: Day 17: Images of destruction, Ukrainian defiance | AP News

A Ukrainian welder builds a tire deflation stringer spike system in Lviv, western Ukraine, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Bernat Armangue)

Smoke from shelling rises as a wreath of flowers is placed at a cemetery in Vasylkiv south west of Kyiv, Ukraine, Saturday, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Vadim Ghirda)

Refugees that fled the war in Ukraine, with their pets and belongings wait at the Przemysl train station, southeastern Poland, on Saturday, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Daniel Cole)

A fire burns at an apartment building after it was hit by the shelling of a residential district in Mariupol, Ukraine, Friday, March 11, 2022. (AP Photo/Evgeniy Maloletka)

A resident passes by cars burnt in the Russian shellfire as he flees from his hometown on the road towards Kyiv, in the town of Irpin, northwest of Kyiv, Saturday, March 12, 2022. (AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky)

These two stand out - from your link ...

2000.jpeg

2000.jpeg

I could only stomach listening to the first 20 minutes or so and I wasn't particularly impressed. It totally misses the right to self determination and the will of the Ukrainian people to become a modern European democracy. It seemed like he was putting democracies and dictatorships on a morally equal plane. I find the idea that promoting democracy is dangerous in case you upset a despot frankly ridiculous. The premise that the West and Russia should decide on Ukraine's future political direction (or neutrality) totally misses the point, it's a country of 44 million who should be free to take their own path.

Even if Ukraine had gone down a path of neutrality I don't believe it would have satisfied Putin, it would have only been a matter of time before it was de facto controlled by Moscow like Belarus. Putin doesn't respect international treaties. <modsnip: Circumventing Websleuths profanity filters is not allowed>

As for the usual justifications for invasion, that it's the fault of the EU, Nato aggression, Ukrainian fascism etc., Mr. Mearsheimer certainly checks all the boxes for Putin talking points, but when it boils down to it the only person responsible for this war is Putin and his imperialism. It's not the West, the EU, Nato or Jewish Nazis, it's Putin.

The Ukrainian people are fighting for their freedom in a black and white war, there's a good guy and a bad guy. It should be simple moralistically, at least it is for me.

And I appreciate the video was from 2015, but it's nonsense all the same, IMO.

And I appreciate your view. I had some similar feelings. He did talk about the issue of how can we even contemplate discussing not siding with democracy. But he’s not siding with Russia. He’s just explaining his view of what causes war- an imbalance between two systems. And he admits democracy is best.

But the alternative is the issue. His is a lesser of two evils arguments.

I don’t know what to think. I do sort of lean toward he wouldn’t have invaded Georgia, Crimea, and now the rest of Ukraine if it wasn’t for the NATO threat.

But I also feel like who cares? He’s killing civilians. He’s a war criminal! And yes, Ukraine should have a right to self-determination. Of course there is a huge pro-Russia contingent there. But Ukraine was on an upswing. Less corruption. Doing better and better economically. And that’s a threat to Putin.

So, he wants to reduce the country to rubble and despair so it’s too weak to be an inspiration to his own people.

The question is what does the rest of the world do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay