Russia Attacks Ukraine - 23 Feb 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Baltic countries, which lived under Soviet rule, worry they could be Russia's next target | CBC News
''Viewed from Paris, London and Washington, the events unfolding in Ukraine may seem like a new Cold War taking shape in Europe.

From the Baltic countries, it looks much worse.

To Estonians, Latvians and Lithuanians — particularly those old enough to have lived under Soviet control — Russia's belligerence toward Ukraine has some worried that they could be the next target. The escalating tensions that preceded Thursday's attack brought back memories of mass deportations and oppression.

"My grandparents were sent away to Siberia," said Jaunius Kazlauskas, a 50-year-old teacher in Vilnius, Lithuania's capital.

"My father was persecuted by the KGB. Now, I live in a free democratic country, but it seems that nothing can be taken for granted."

"Russia always measures the military might but also the will of countries to fight," said Janis Garisons, state secretary at Latvia's Defence Ministry. "Once they see a weakness, they will exploit that weakness."

@Mo Thuairim

Excerpt from the article which you kindly shared with us :

“Someone started a war and we want this war to stop here and now,” one EU diplomat explained of the caution over Swift. “You always need to have some doors open to be able to have a dialogue to stop a war.”

Kyiv furious as EU wavers on banning Russia from Swift payment system
Unfortunately excluding Russia from Swift would be extremely painful for EU countries in particular as we are so reliant on Russian energy supplies and do so much trade with Russia. That is the real reason the EU is reluctant to take that step. I think there is no hope of dialogue stopping this war. Putin is operating on pure ideology at the moment it seems. I am not sure the current round of sanctions will be much of a deterrent to him.

Poland has opened 8 border crossings, to try to help the fleeing Ukrainians. There are long, long lines at each border crossing. People in cars, and people walking with rolling suitcases.

Source: Ch7 TV news - video from journos at the scene

Google maps shows exactly that, red lines of stopped traffic trying to enter Poland.

Unfortunately excluding Russia from Swift would be extremely painful for EU countries in particular as we are so reliant on Russian energy supplies and do so much trade with Russia. That is the real reason the EU is reluctant to take that step. I think there is no hope of dialogue stopping this war. Putin is operating on pure ideology at the moment it seems. I am not sure the current round of sanctions will be much of a deterrent to him.

I understand and feel for you and the people that are suffering and will suffer.

Dear @Mo Thuairim,

I greatly appreciate your post as I was not aware of this and it's extremely important to know! Now I have a much better understanding.

Thank you!

Police in Russia arrested nearly 1,400 people at anti-war protests staged in cities across the country after President Vladimir Putin launched an invasion of Ukraine, an independent monitor said.

“More than 1,391 people have already been detained in 51 cities,” said OVD-Info on Thursday, which tracks arrests at opposition rallies.

The invasion of Ukraine is taking place during an unprecedented crackdown on the Russian opposition, with most protest leaders assassinated, jailed or forced out of the country.

One petition, started by a prominent human rights advocate, Lev Ponomavyov, garnered over 150,000 signatures within several hours and 289,000 by the end of the day.

More than 250 journalists put their names on an open letter decrying the aggression. Another one was signed by some 250 scientists, while by 194 municipal council members in Moscow and other cities signed a third.

Ukraine attack: Hundreds arrested in anti-war protests in Russia

I understand and feel for you and the people that are suffering and will suffer.
I am nowhere near Ukraine and I can't imagine the horrors the people there are going through but it is dreadful to see another war happening here in Europe. The EU has a lot of soul searching to do to figure out how best to be a good ally to Ukraine. It may come to removing Russia from Swift before too long.

I am not sure the current round of sanctions will be much of a deterrent to him.
^^rsbm

I agree @Mo Thuairim given how sanctions typically only work with rational people.

I don't think Putin has had a rational thought in many years. Clearly, his mind is not right and I think he's only become worse during covid. Very strange ordeal/ideas to protect himself from the virus. MOO :eek:

Baltic countries, which lived under Soviet rule, worry they could be Russia's next target | CBC News
''Viewed from Paris, London and Washington, the events unfolding in Ukraine may seem like a new Cold War taking shape in Europe.

To Estonians, Latvians and Lithuanians — particularly those old enough to have lived under Soviet control — Russia's belligerence toward Ukraine has some worried that they could be the next target. The escalating tensions that preceded Thursday's attack brought back memories of mass deportations and oppression.

"My grandparents were sent away to Siberia," said Jaunius Kazlauskas, a 50-year-old teacher in Vilnius, Lithuania's capital.

"My father was persecuted by the KGB. Now, I live in a free democratic country, but it seems that nothing can be taken for granted."

"Russia always measures the military might but also the will of countries to fight," said Janis Garisons, state secretary at Latvia's Defence Ministry. "Once they see a weakness, they will exploit that weakness."

These are all NATO countries and all hell will break loose if Russia sets foot in any of them.

Thoughts especially with you today @Niner. What is the general feeling in Latvia?

Just shown on Global TV that City Hall in Ottawa, Canada's capital, in a small and perhaps not that noticeable gesture, is flying the blue and yellow Ukrainian flag.

giphy.gif

I find this to be chilling:

Who is going to stop Putin from sending Ukranians branded as dissidents to Siberia. The people who exercised their right to free speech as citizens of the country of Ukraine. Is Putin targeting Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy for a trip to Siberia??

Just shown on Global TV that City Hall in Ottawa, Canada's capital, in a small and perhaps not that noticeable gesture, is flying the blue and yellow Ukrainian flag.

giphy.gif

Yes, in Australia and all around the world as well. People flying the Ukrainian flag and lighting up their buildings in blue and yellow.
It is good to see so many trying to show their support.

(DM has good photos)

Countries around the world light up buildings in Ukrainian flag colours | Daily Mail Online

It looks like Ukraine will be annexed by force by Russia within days. Any country or organization, such as NATO, that sends troops will very likely be attacked as well. It's too risky to help Ukraine with military support without triggering a world war.

It looks like Ukraine will be annexed by force by Russia within days. Any country or organization, such as NATO, that sends troops will very likely be attacked as well. It's too risky to help Ukraine with military support without triggering a world war.

I know this sounds terribly naive probably, but why is that? If the world had taken these months to send a force of troops all along the border, would it have made Putin think twice? Or do you think he doesn't care if his soldiers die? Or there's an acceptable amount of loss as long as he's sure he will end up victorious? Like part of me can't imagine one country being willing to go up against a bunch of other countries. I know he has nuclear weapons, but is he really going to use them? And is this why he never gets more than a slap on the wrist no matter what he does? This just seems so hopeless the way it is right now. My heart is aching and afraid.

I’m half Estonian. The Baltic states are warm-water ports which Russia needs and wants. They occupied the Baltics from WWII until 1991 when the USSR fell.

If he invades them, which is possible, he’ll be attacking NATO countries.

Maybe all those Russian billionaire oligarchs who are having all their assets frozen and their banks being shackled, maybe they'll decide enoughs enough and get rid of Putin?

"As Ukrainian diplomats pleaded with the world to stop the Russian aggression, Zelenskiy warned of a bleak return to the past. “What we have heard today are not just missile blasts, fighting and the rumble of aircraft,” he said.

“This is the sound of a new iron curtain, which has come down and is closing Russia off from the civilised world. Our national task is to make sure this curtain does not fall across our land."

Ukraine fighting to stop ‘a new iron curtain’ after Russian invasion

Decision to invade Ukraine raises questions over Putin’s ‘sense of reality’

Officials in western capitals concerned by ‘despotic mindset’ of Russian president and rambling Monday speech increased doubts

Vladimir Putin’s decision to launch a catastrophic new European war, combined with the sheer weirdness of his recent public appearances, has raised questions in western capitals about the mental stability of the leader of a country with 6,000 nuclear warheads.

They worry about a 69-year-old man whose tendency towards insularity has been amplified by his precautions against Covid, leaving him surrounded by an ever-shrinking coterie of fearful obedient courtiers. He appears increasingly uncoupled from the contemporary world, preferring to burrow deep into history and a personal quest for greatness.

(...)

After Macron held five hours of talks with the Russian leader in Moscow at opposite ends of a 15-metre table, he told reporters on the return flight that “the tension was palpable”. This was not the same Putin he had last met at the Elysée palace in December 2019, Macron said. He was “more rigid, more isolated” and was off on an “ideological and security drift”.

Following Putin’s speech on Monday, an Elysée official made an unusually bold assessment that the speech was “paranoid”. Bernard Guetta, a member of the European parliament for Macron’s grouping, told France Inter radio on Thursday morning, after military invasion began: “I think this man is losing his sense of reality, to say it politely.” Asked by the interviewer if that meant he thought Putin had gone mad, he said “yes”.

(...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member