RUSSIA - WNBA star Brittney Griner, Detained @ Sheremetyevo International Airport, 2022 *Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What was the point for saying she was LGBTQ? I don't recall that fact being germane in her case. As far as her being held "illegally"--I am confused. Possessing hash oil in Russia is illegal, and that is where the violation occurred, so she isn't being held illegally.
I think because Russia is known for being anti-LGBTQ.

Brittney Griner will enter a system of isolation, grueling labor and psychological torment when she is transferred to a penal colony, the successor to the infamous Russian gulag, to fulfill a nine-year sentence handed down Tuesday in Moscow, former prisoners and advocates said.

Human rights violations are a regular feature of many of the camps, according to the U.S. State Department, human rights groups and others who have maintained regular contact with prisoners in Russia. That the WNBA star, who lost her appeal Tuesday, is a gay Black woman could add unknown variables to a penal system that is known to be remote and harrowing.

“Conditions in prisons and detention centers varied but were often harsh and life threatening,” a 2021 State Department report on Russian human rights abuses said. “Overcrowding, abuse by guards and inmates, limited access to health care, food shortages, and inadequate sanitation were common in prisons, penal colonies, and other detention facilities.”...

I totally agree. I have lived and worked in over 10 countries, including communist countries and Islamic dictatorships. I have travelled to over 70 countries. You must know and understand the laws of any country you are visiting and obey them. Just because you're Western doesn't mean you have a get out of jail free card - especially when it comes to drugs. If she had been carrying cannabis into Indonesia she would have likely got 20 years or the death penalty. In Thailand, if you deface a bank note you can get up to 15 years because it has a picture of the king on it. If you get pregnant as an unmarried woman in the UAE you can get jailed and deported. Learn the rules of the country before you go there. You don't need to agree with the rules but you have to follow them.

Last edited:
Ugh. I feel so badly for her. Yes, of course she shouldn’t have broken the law they have there, however I wonder if she even knew or contemplated that. I really doubt she knew there was residue left in the pipe.
She also pled guilty yet really got very little reduction on the sentence from doing so.
BBM
You feel bad for someone that is being punished for breaking the law?

Is that the point you are trying to make with that sentence?

By that end should people feel badly for murderers and rapists?

(Not trying to be snarky or anything) Just looking for clarity.

someone breaks the law they deserve the punishment they get.

Not knowing you broke the law has never been an acceptable excuse as far as i can tell.

I totally agree. I have lived and worked in over 10 countries, including communist countries and Islamic dictatorships. I have travelled to over 70 countries. You must know and understand the laws of any country you are visiting and obey them. Just because you're Western doesn't mean you have a get out of jail free card - especially when it comes to drugs. If she had been carrying cannabis into Indonesia she would have likely got 20 years or the death penalty. In Thailand, if you deface a bank note you can get up to 15 years because it has a picture of the king on it. If you get pregnant as an unmarried woman in the UAE you can get jailed and deported. Learn the rules of the country before you go there. You don't need to agree with the rules but you have to follow them.
Another solution: Don't travel to foreign nations that don't share your values.

Singapore has very strict laws and severe punishment as well.

Traveling to foreign countries is not something to be taken lightly. Do the research on their laws before you go.

When I was very young (5 or 7 maybe) there was a commercial on tv that showed someone being put into a jail cell and the door was loudly slammed shut. The voiceover said, “If you break the law over there, we can’t help you over here.”

I always remembered that commercial and the sound of the gate clanging shut.

I have traveled to quite a few foreign countries and I always do my research before I travel.

Another solution: Don't travel to foreign nations that don't share your values.

I do agree with this on one level, and I have questioned myself when I've lived in countries with opposing values to mine as to whether I was doing the right thing. However, I've found that for me personally, being in such situations, where your views and beliefs are challenged daily is a huge learning curve, which reinforces some beliefs, questions others and really opens your mind to different perspectives. This is just my personal point of view and to clarify, I am a teacher so I have been lucky to really get to know local people in the countries where I have worked and listen to them discuss their view points. And of course, I have offered my own point of view, where appropriate. I can only speak from my own experience, but I do believe these experiences have made me more open-minded and empathetic, whilst strengthening my belief in my own core values,

Have you ever watched that show Locked Up Abroad? Terrifying!

Truly, you don’t even really need to do that much research. Because the US State Department website tells you everything you need to know about the risks, dangers, cultural differences, and social norms expected of visitors while traveling in _____ (fill-in-the-blank with any country).

For example, take Russia. The US State Department’s website tells you all of this:

• You can be arrested, detained, fined, deported and banned for 5 years or more if you are found to have violated Russian immigration law.
  • Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Russia are severe.
  • You can be detained for not carrying your passport with you.
  • You can be jailed immediately for driving under the influence of alcohol.
  • It is illegal to pay for goods and services in U.S. dollars, except at authorized retail establishments.
  • You can be arrested for attempting to leave the country with antiques, even if they were legally purchased from licensed vendors. Cultural value items like artwork, icons, samovars, rugs, military medals and antiques, must have certificates indicating they do not have historical or cultural value.
  • Retain all receipts for high-value items, including caviar.
  • You must have advance approval to bring in satellite telephones.
  • Global Positioning System (GPS) and other radio electronic devices, and their use, are subject to special rules and regulations in Russia.
  • Russian officials have stated that Russia recognizes four historic religions: Orthodox Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism. The Russian government places restrictions on missionary activity and defines it broadly – travelers engaging in certain types of religious work may risk harassment, detention, fines, or deportation for administrative violations if they do not have proper authorization from a registered religious group.
  • Russian law criminalizes proselytizing outside of a registered house of worship.
  • Russian law bans providing "the propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" to minors. Foreign citizens face fines, up to 15 days in jail, and deportation. The law is vague as to what Russia considers propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations.
  • Discrimination based on sexual orientation is widespread in Russia. Acts of violence and harassment targeting LGBTI individuals occur.
  • Government officials have made derogatory comments about LGBTI persons and violence against the LGBTI community has increased.
  • There have been credible reports of arrest, torture, and extrajudicial killing of LGBTI persons in Chechnya allegedly conducted by Chechen regional authorities.
  • The Moscow Metro, though extremely safe and efficient in other areas, is generally not accessible to persons with disabilities.
    • Sidewalks are narrow and uneven.
    • Mobility is usually easier in major cities such as Moscow and St. Petersburg.
    • Crossing streets in large cities can be difficult, since it usually requires the use of a pedestrian underpass, which includes stairs, steep ramps, and no elevators.
  • Certain classes of over-the-counter cold medicines, such as those containing pseudoephedrine, are illegal in Russia. We recommend against bringing cold medication with you to Russia.
  • Carry a copy of valid U.S. prescriptions, including a notarized translation into Russian of each prescription, when entering Russia with prescription medications.
  • Drivers must carry third-party liability insurance under a policy valid in Russia.
  • If you are involved in an accident, do not move your vehicle from the accident site. You may be held liable if you move your car even if you are not at fault.
  • Do not attempt to climb Mt. Elbrus, as individuals must pass close to volatile and insecure areas of the North Caucasus region.
  • Police do not need to show probable cause in order to stop, question, or detain individuals. Please comply with the requests of local law enforcement officials.
  • Telephone and electronic communications are subject to surveillance at any time and without advisory, which may compromise sensitive information. The Russian System for Operational-Investigative Activities (SORM) legally permits authorities to monitor and record all data that traverses Russia’s networks.
  • Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Russia. Applicants for longer-term tourist and work visas or residence permits are required to undergo an HIV/AIDS test.
And MORE!

ETA: forgot link

Last edited:
Brittney Griner did something really stupid but in fairness celebrities are allowed to get away with a lot in this country so she thought she could get away with it there. I am not against her going to prison but 9 years seems pretty harsh for the crime she committed.

Brittney Griner did something really stupid but in fairness celebrities are allowed to get away with a lot in this country so she thought she could get away with it there. I am not against her going to prison but 9 years seems pretty harsh for the crime she committed.
Agree, 9 years definitely seems harsh from an American perspective. But I guess it’s the norm from the Russian perspective. Regardless, shows how critical it is to follow the law to the letter when in a foreign country.

Have you ever watched that show Locked Up Abroad? Terrifying!

Truly, you don’t even really need to do that much research. Because the US State Department website tells you everything you need to know about the risks, dangers, cultural differences, and social norms expected of visitors while traveling in _____ (fill-in-the-blank with any country).

For example, take Russia. The US State Department’s website tells you all of this:

• You can be arrested, detained, fined, deported and banned for 5 years or more if you are found to have violated Russian immigration law.
  • Penalties for possessing, using, or trafficking in illegal drugs in Russia are severe.
  • You can be detained for not carrying your passport with you.
  • You can be jailed immediately for driving under the influence of alcohol.
  • It is illegal to pay for goods and services in U.S. dollars, except at authorized retail establishments.
  • You can be arrested for attempting to leave the country with antiques, even if they were legally purchased from licensed vendors. Cultural value items like artwork, icons, samovars, rugs, military medals and antiques, must have certificates indicating they do not have historical or cultural value.
  • Retain all receipts for high-value items, including caviar.
  • You must have advance approval to bring in satellite telephones.
  • Global Positioning System (GPS) and other radio electronic devices, and their use, are subject to special rules and regulations in Russia.
  • Russian officials have stated that Russia recognizes four historic religions: Orthodox Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism. The Russian government places restrictions on missionary activity and defines it broadly – travelers engaging in certain types of religious work may risk harassment, detention, fines, or deportation for administrative violations if they do not have proper authorization from a registered religious group.
  • Russian law criminalizes proselytizing outside of a registered house of worship.
  • Russian law bans providing "the propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" to minors. Foreign citizens face fines, up to 15 days in jail, and deportation. The law is vague as to what Russia considers propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations.
  • Discrimination based on sexual orientation is widespread in Russia. Acts of violence and harassment targeting LGBTI individuals occur.
  • Government officials have made derogatory comments about LGBTI persons and violence against the LGBTI community has increased.
  • There have been credible reports of arrest, torture, and extrajudicial killing of LGBTI persons in Chechnya allegedly conducted by Chechen regional authorities.
  • The Moscow Metro, though extremely safe and efficient in other areas, is generally not accessible to persons with disabilities.
    • Sidewalks are narrow and uneven.
    • Mobility is usually easier in major cities such as Moscow and St. Petersburg.
    • Crossing streets in large cities can be difficult, since it usually requires the use of a pedestrian underpass, which includes stairs, steep ramps, and no elevators.
  • Certain classes of over-the-counter cold medicines, such as those containing pseudoephedrine, are illegal in Russia. We recommend against bringing cold medication with you to Russia.
  • Carry a copy of valid U.S. prescriptions, including a notarized translation into Russian of each prescription, when entering Russia with prescription medications.
  • Drivers must carry third-party liability insurance under a policy valid in Russia.
  • If you are involved in an accident, do not move your vehicle from the accident site. You may be held liable if you move your car even if you are not at fault.
  • Do not attempt to climb Mt. Elbrus, as individuals must pass close to volatile and insecure areas of the North Caucasus region.
  • Police do not need to show probable cause in order to stop, question, or detain individuals. Please comply with the requests of local law enforcement officials.
  • Telephone and electronic communications are subject to surveillance at any time and without advisory, which may compromise sensitive information. The Russian System for Operational-Investigative Activities (SORM) legally permits authorities to monitor and record all data that traverses Russia’s networks.
  • Some HIV/AIDS entry restrictions exist for visitors to and foreign residents of Russia. Applicants for longer-term tourist and work visas or residence permits are required to undergo an HIV/AIDS test.
And MORE!

ETA: forgot link
All my IMHO: This is exactly why I would never travel to Russia, even before the Ukraine and Griner issue. These countries are no nonsense, it's terrifying...You have to worry every moment you are there even if you are following the rules, too much room for error. Not worth the visit IMO...

With regards to Griner, this may not be a popular opinion, however, she has no excuse for bringing whatever small amount of cannabis she was caught with. Griner has been playing for the UMMC Ekaterinburg in the Russian Premier League during the WNBA offseason for years, she is aware of the laws. Problem lies in the entitlement she is used to as an NBA player in America and being placed on a pedestal in the U.S. Even with all the perks and star treatment she received in the US as an American,<modsnip - political commentary>

<modsnip - political commentary> I wish her the best and pray she comes out on the other side without mistreatment or abuse. I am sure that is wishful thinking from what we know about being imprisoned in Russia.

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
The arrogance of the west is staggering, MOO.

All my IMHO: This is exactly why I would never travel to Russia, even before the Ukraine and Griner issue. These countries are no nonsense, it's terrifying...You have to worry every moment you are there even if you are following the rules, too much room for error. Not worth the visit IMO...

With regards to Griner, this may not be a popular opinion, however, she has no excuse for bringing whatever small amount of cannabis she was caught with. Griner has been playing for the UMMC Ekaterinburg in the Russian Premier League during the WNBA offseason for years, she is aware of the laws. Problem lies in the entitlement she is used to as an NBA player in America and being placed on a pedestal in the U.S. Even with all the perks and star treatment she received in the US as an American,<modsnip - political commentary>

<modsnip - political commentary> I wish her the best and pray she comes out on the other side without mistreatment or abuse. I am sure that is wishful thinking from what we know about being imprisoned in Russia.

JMHO

I think I would rather be imprisoned in Russia than in my home country, which is the USA. Prisons here are incredibly violent, with rape and bought off guards the order of the day.

JMHO

I've talked to a lot of people who do or plan to vacation in eastern bloc countries, as well as those in the ME. They claim they're great destinations because they're not as expensive, etc. No thanks. My rule is to not travel in foreign countries that don't have stable, democratic governments that have good relationships with the US.

I feel badly for Brittney's situation, but you can't emphasize it enough - never travel to a foreign country with anything stronger than your own prescription drugs - and make sure those are in the original bottles. That was a big problem for people traveling in the 70's and 80's - traveling with your vitamins in those plastic daily dose med containers. And for gosh sakes never, ever try to buy drugs in a foreign country, not even MJ.

In my younger days, I traveled to visit college friends in SA. The first thing they told me was "there are no rules here like in the US". That meant stay on guard, don't screw up. You have no rights here like you do in the US.

I think I would rather be imprisoned in Russia than in my home country, which is the USA. Prisons here are incredibly violent, with rape and bought off guards the order of the day.

I'm not sure I'd go that far, but, yes, the US prison system is horrible. Disgraceful.

Yeah, that probably is “too far”, but I do think U.S. prisons are awful. Now, there are certainly worse ones throughout the world. So much of the time prisons are simply inhumane cages instead of what they should be, which is to keep criminals from hurting others (both in and out of the facility) and to rehabilitate those who are capable of it.

It’s utterly depressing.

American basketball player Brittney Griner, jailed in Russia in what the U.S. calls a wrongful detention, is being moved to a penal colony, her attorneys said Wednesday.

"We do not have any information on her exact current location or her final destination," her attorneys, Maria Blagovolina and Alexander Boykov, said in a statement.

Griner, a center for the WNBA's Phoenix Mercury, was detained at Moscow’s Sheremetyevo Airport in February, after Russian authorities said they found vape canisters with cannabis oil in her luggage...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BecStar
Back