Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, quoting “He didn't notice that she did not return from her 7 AM run.” that’s interesting if he was at home ? I wonder if this has been confirmed where SM husband was? Interesting choice of words ?
If that quote is true it’s strange, where was he, did the children not notice either.Does the eldest daughter live with them?

Thanks, quoting “He didn't notice that she did not return from her 7 AM run.” that’s interesting if he was at home ? I wonder if this has been confirmed where SM husband was? Interesting choice of words ?
I agree. We don't know that her husband was at home at 7 AM, but it's a fair assumption. They live together and have a daughter. Maybe he went out after she left and was not home until 1 PM. That's possible - that he wasn't home, so he didn't notice that she did not return from her run.

Last edited:
I agree. We don't know that her husband was at home at 7 AM, but it's a fair assumption. They live together and have a daughter. Maybe he went out after she left and was not home until 1 PM. That's possible - that he wasn't home, so he didn't know that she did not return from her run.

Do you know specifically where this part came from @otto ?

Below and BBM
At 1 PM her friends were worried and contacted her husband. He didn't notice that she did not return from her 7 AM run.

As previously, it was stated that brunch was with family and friends …

And we didn’t know that part of the timeline???

TIA

They may have done an unofficial search, I'd imagine the husband would've said "sure, have a look around the property"

Media would likely break the news to an official search, if/when that happens.
Yes, that’s what I was getting at. Is it usual for police to seach the house even if they first suspected she was missing in the bush?

The property has a dam by the looks of it.

I read that her phone pinged 15 miles or kilometres away. Her friends doubted that she would go that far. They thought she would be home around 9 to get ready for brunch. At 1 PM her friends were worried and contacted her husband. He didn't notice that she did not return from her 7 AM run.

Smart watch is automatically synced with the computer and records heart rate, steps, etc. I don't think it helps with location, not sure. Even if it is not found or suddenly stopped working, heart rate irregularities or spikes would be recorded on her computer. A spiked heart rate would tell police something unexpected or sudden happened.

"'I believe she was going out for brunch that morning so I believe she would have been home by 9 or 10am,' she said."

DailyMail
You are assuming there is 4/5 G coverage everywhere out there. It’s pretty rural and there could be a lot of areas where there’s no coverage. An off the beat bush track could be one of those places.

Yes, that’s what I was getting at. Is it usual for police to seach the house even if they first suspected she was missing in the bush?

The property has a dam by the looks of it.
They definitely do for missing children … but I don’t know about adults ??

They definitely searched outside of the property in the early days ..

IMG_1334.png

Photo taken outside the main gate …

To my knowledge no, if they do I would imagine it would be breaking news ?? As they did in the case of Erin Patterson it was on the news
Or maybe they've searched it (likely IMO), and have decided not to mention that at all.

I't's such a tricky case, for several reasons.

IMO they have been extremely careful to avoid providing ANY information to the public beyond the absolute basics - hence protecting the integrity of the investigation. There is really no reason for investigators to provide information to the public unless it benefits the investigation to do so.

As former Homicide detective Charlie Bezzina noted, "The only people they've got to be honest with are the family".

You are assuming there is 4/5 G coverage everywhere out there. It’s pretty rural and there could be a lot of areas where there’s no coverage. An off the beat bush track could be one of those places.
And in rural areas, I believe phone pings and locations become less reliable because there are less towers. Therefore in regional areas, a ping might come from a phone say 10-20km away. In urban areas it maybe a lot less and more accurate

this would make sense if they were separated but sharing the house, coming and going living separate lives
Would a separated couple be out for dinner together with friends the night before ?? (This has been reported earlier)

I guess it would depend how amicable it was ??? But a little unusual I would suggest ….

IMO

There's a dam on the property and neighbouring properties.

I definitely think it's possible to leave the property or re-enter out of CCTV range. I'd be curious to learn about any entry and exit points other than the driveway. It's also not out of the question to jump a fence, IMO.
In reference to jumping a fence. I don’t think it’s too far out of the question, esp if you have a dog or two who are quite attached and have escaped before.

I only say that cos this is what my brother used to do on a large property and a biggish gate as well as dogs who wanted to go with him.

I wonder if the police have mounted any security cameras in the trees around where the bush camps were found. Or even in the bush, generally. They can run for 2 years on lithium batteries, completely wireless. The police might be sitting, waiting..

Do you know specifically where this part came from @otto ?

Below and BBM

As previously, it was stated that brunch was with family and friends …

1am is a misprint. It should say 1:00 PM for a "planned brunch". I haven't yet found the article that he reported her missing - will follow up.

"What is known is that she was expected back before 1am to attend a planned brunch appointment.

Ms Murphy's childhood friend Virginia O'Loughlan told Daily Mail Australia last week she did not believe her friend would have ventured into the rugged area where her phone was last 'pinged'. 'There's no way she would have run that far. Absolutely no way. I'm confident of that,' she said.

On Thursday, State Emergency Services volunteers and police entered the bush in an area between the Canadian Plantation and Yankee Flat Road - about 15kms from Ms Murphy's home.

'I believe she was going out for brunch that morning so I believe she would have been home by 9 or 10am,' she said."

DailyMail

"The husband of a 51-year-old woman who went missing from Ballarat East on Sunday has spoken out following her surprise disappearance. Samantha Murphy did not return from her run on Sunday morning around 7am, prompting an immediate search from Victoria Police.

Mr Murphy said he was remaining calm and mentioned wife regularly runs the area.

The search for Ms Murphy has expanded, with more than 100 officers from various units including the dog squad, mounted branch, and air wing, alongside SES, CFA, and Parks Victoria personnel, concentrating on the Canadian State Forest.

Inspector MacDougall said data received from Ms Murphy’s phone, which she had been carrying at the time, pinged near the golf course."

News.com.au

"After she went missing on Sunday, a CCTV image was released by police showing Samantha Murphy leaving the home wearing black half-length leggings and a brown singlet.

Residents who live in the surrounding areas have been urged to review any security footage they have from between 7am and 11am on Sunday.

Over the course of the search police have so far only uncovered one clue — Murphy’s mobile phone pinging at a telecommunications tower 11km from her home."

7news.com.au

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member