Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Superintendent Hatt claimed the 7km run to where her phone went dead took the experienced runner more than an hour - about half-an-hour longer than it should have.

While not directly stated, Superintendent Hatt suggested police believed whoever helped Ms Murphy disappear had specifically targeted her.

Our investigation is ongoing and I can't comment on specific details as to what we're looking at,' he said.

If detectives have information on other phones shadowing Ms Murphy's at the same time, they aren't saying.

Superintendent Hatt refused to answer questions about potential links with bikies and Ms Murphy's disappearance.

However he did confirm the panelbeater's books were being closely looked at by detectives.

Superintendent Hatt warned whoever was responsible for making Ms Murphy disappear would be caught sooner or later.

'It's our number one investigation at present ... We'd like to resolve this as soon as possible,' he said.

Daily Mail Australia

My impression of Samantha is that she is honest and fearless and would stand up against any criminal coercion and probably threaten to take them to authorities. If this resulted in her being kidnapped then my faith is firmly in her that she will get herself out of this situation. The perpetrator/s need to compare jail time for kidnapping vs murder and just let Samantha go. They are going to get caught eventually and they have a chance of a few years of freedom if they just let her go. If they kill her, they are completely stuffed. Love and light to Samantha ... I refuse to think of her dead. I am sending her my positive thoughts all the time. Fortune favours the brave and I have no doubt she is brave.

I thought this paragraph from the Daily M(f)ail was interesting too: "Speculation outlaw motorcycle gangs were customers of the shop have swirled among the Ballarat community since Ms Murphy vanished".
Swirled. What a strange word to use. Imagining an OMG dancing and twirling around the Ballarat community

I don't think much of that Daily Mail article, it's all innuendo with nothing based on anything factual.
Lots of leading insinuations between those lines.

Superintendent Hatt claimed the 7km run to where her phone went dead took the experienced runner more than an hour - about half-an-hour longer than it should have.

Daily Mail Australia

So now the DM has Sam's phone dying at the end of the run and is saying the run took more than an hour. :rolleyes:

What Mark Hatt actually said was "we believe, within an hour, so approximately an hour after she left home she reached the Mt Clear area" (5:40 mark in the video).

And he revealed no information at all about the phone dying.

One of the things I dislike so much about their obviously wrong information is that we will now be repeating all through the thread that "no, he didn't say the phone died, he didn't say it took her more than an hour". For those who haven't listened to the presser. imo

Last edited:
My impression of Samantha is that she is honest and fearless and would stand up against any criminal coercion and probably threaten to take them to authorities. If this resulted in her being kidnapped then my faith is firmly in her that she will get herself out of this situation. The perpetrator/s need to compare jail time for kidnapping vs murder and just let Samantha go. They are going to get caught eventually and they have a chance of a few years of freedom if they just let her go. If they kill her, they are completely stuffed. Love and light to Samantha ... I refuse to think of her dead. I am sending her my positive thoughts all the time. Fortune favours the brave and I have no doubt she is brave.
Indeed, but sadly I think it is too late. :(

Indeed, but sadly I think it is too late. :(
Undoubtedly a truckload of wishful thinking on my part but I just can't give up on her unless there is proof and then I have no choice. Samantha keeps coming into my mind ... her proud loving look when she is with her children and I never feel she is dead ... she is exhausted and knocked around but always willing herself to stay strong and positive. She needs every bit of energy she can get and she has mine 100%.

these folks or this person do not seem to have a vehicle (?) IMO so while they/he might be able to hide a body by tossing it in the brush, are they really capable of moving some one a great distance or tidying up a crime scene?
Well we don’t know if they have a vehicle. I think the campers said they moved camping areas and the guy followed them to the new spot - think I have that right could be wrong. In which case you’d think he has a vehicle.

So now the DM has Sam's phone dying at the end of the run and is saying the run took more than an hour. :rolleyes:

What Mark Hatt actually said was "we believe, within an hour, so approximately an hour after she left home she reached the Mt Clear area" (5:40 mark in the video).

One of the things I dislike so much about their obviously wrong information is that we will now be repeating all through the thread that "no, he didn't say the phone died, he didn't say it took her more than an hour". For those who haven't listened to the presser. imo

You take it with a grain of salt, but some points I take notice at

so based on this running time graph, it does seem like a slower run for sm, if she was an advanced runner, i wonder if she might have been unwell that day?

Average Time to Run 7km (By Age Gender & Speed)​

Average Time to Run 7 km For Females
AgeBeginnersIntermediateAdvanced
15-2051:2035:0728:35
20-2551:5532:0528:00
25-3052:0232:2628:28
30-3552:1632:5428:56
35-4053:1934:0429:38
40-4553:5434:5331:09
45-5054:0835:2132:05
50-5554:1536:3132:47
55-6059:4439:0534:25
60-6501:03:1442:0735:21

There are many, many factors that can have an impact on running speed. For example, a male is going to run faster than a female. Somebody running on a flat surface is going to run faster than somebody running uphill. Somebody in a quality pair of running shoes is going to be running faster than somebody wearing cheaper shoes. We are sure that you get the idea here.
What follows is a rough guide for intermediate runners. These are the times that people may be able to expect when they have been running for a good while and have really started to settle into the world of running. If you have only just started running, not only should you not be running anywhere close to 7km, but you can probably expect to add a good 20-30 minutes to these times.

Average Time to Run 24km (By Age Gender & Speed) |

It would be great if media had a little rating symbol at the start of an article. A bit like the way movies are rated. Here are some suggestions.

FB - based on facts
FC - fact checked
SG - some guesswork
CG - complete guesswork
AI - generated using ai
OB - all opinion based

This post is rated OB. Opinion based ;)

Last edited:
Plenty of people who think the law doesn't apply to them, would think nothing of stealing a vehicle if they needed one.
So I think not owning a vehicle doesn't preclude anyone from having the use of one, legally or not.

And having killed someone and wanting to hide the body might spur someone on to either get help from someone with a vehicle or steal one yourself.

It would be great if media had a little rating symbol at the start of an article. A bit like the way movies are rated. Here are sone suggestions.

FB - based on facts
SG - some guesswork
CG - complete guesswork
AI - generated using ai
OB - all opinion based

This post is rated OB. Opinion based ;)

O/T

I have opened a few US MSM articles lately that have provided a little rating chart so the reader can give the article a rating. I can't remember but it might be a fairness rating. Something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18