Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

A mineshaft in Ballarat, near where Samantha Murphy would run regularly. Picture: 9 News

Mr Shaw said if Ms Murphy had fallen into a mineshaft her chances of survival were “very, very slim”.

“No one is going to hear you crying for help, there’s no phones, there’s nothing, it’s very dark and damp down there. They can be semi-collapsed or filled with foliage and that foliage on top can take you down to the depths of about 40 or 60 metres.”

Watching Under Investigation now. These are just the thoughts I had while watching. So spoilers I guess.

- I appreciate the reconstruction clips hopefully they will help jog someones memory especially since the police haven't done the standard mannequin dressed in similar clothing.
- Having watched UI episodes before I knew not to expect any new case breaking info but this does help somewhat solidify the timeline.
- Props to Sissy for going on national TV and telling a story which is obviously still very traumatic to her.
- I agree it is interesting that Sissy's attacker was barefoot although I don't think it automatically means he had mental issues.
- I wonder if the shoes worn by the woman in the reconstruction are similar to Sam's because the are somewhat distinctive.
- How many other people have been confronted by the same man who attacked Sissy and managed to get away and haven't reported it.
- I think IF there is a man living out there in the bush attacking people he's probably not keeping up with current News reports.
- Arghhh if you were just gonna say Sissy's attack wasn't connected to Sam's why bring her on the show? She was just filler cos they didn't have enough info to actually make an episode.

A mineshaft in Ballarat, near where Samantha Murphy would run regularly. Picture: 9 News

Mr Shaw said if Ms Murphy had fallen into a mineshaft her chances of survival were “very, very slim”.

“No one is going to hear you crying for help, there’s no phones, there’s nothing, it’s very dark and damp down there. They can be semi-collapsed or filled with foliage and that foliage on top can take you down to the depths of about 40 or 60 metres.”
terrifying! how many animals must fall down there too!

Watching Under Investigation now. These are just the thoughts I had while watching. So spoilers I guess.

- I appreciate the reconstruction clips hopefully they will help jog someones memory especially since the police haven't done the standard mannequin dressed in similar clothing.
- Having watched UI episodes before I knew not to expect any new case breaking info but this does help somewhat solidify the timeline.
- Props to Sissy for going on national TV and telling a story which is obviously still very traumatic to her.
- I agree it is interesting that Sissy's attacker was barefoot although I don't think it automatically means he had mental issues.
- I wonder if the shoes worn by the woman in the reconstruction are similar to Sam's because the are somewhat distinctive.
- How many other people have been confronted by the same man who attacked Sissy and managed to get away and haven't reported it.
- I think IF there is a man living out there in the bush attacking people he's probably not keeping up with current News reports.
- Arghhh if you were just gonna say Sissy's attack wasn't connected to Sam's why bring her on the show? She was just filler cos they didn't have enough info to actually make an episode.
Perhaps Sissy’s inclusion was to help the audience connect more with the terror Samantha may have felt, as a runner, in the event of some kind of potentially untoward event? Personally I found the emotional impact of Sissy’s inclusion very compelling. I believe she was included for this reason, as well as to potentially set to rest theories that the two incidents may be related… JMO

I’m a bit stuck here and hoping someone can help give examples of missing persons in recent years.
From memory most missing persons cases that have media attention, go through multiple press conferences and have seemed to have people known to the missing person ask the public to come forward with any information. (Eg Morcombe, tyrell) and as time goes on the spotlight and focus grows in intensity.

In what cases in the past have seen less activity when it comes to public appeal.
I can’t find cases where this has happened
If you can direct me to similar, I’d love to look into it

i did find it interesting towards the end of the under investigation programme the tech person was saying no need for someone to be out there stalking her movements when, if they had access to her login passwords, they could be anywhere, tracking her location from the comfort of a laptop
i dont think they mentioned gang activity on the programme and didnt mention the dinner the night before or family and close associates still being pois either did they?

i did find it interesting towards the end of the under investigation programme the tech person was saying no need for someone to be out there stalking her movements when, if they had access to her login passwords, they could be anywhere, tracking her location from the comfort of a laptop
i dont think they mentioned gang activity on the programme and didnt mention the dinner the night before or family and close associates still being pois either did they?

I was absolutely blown by this!

I was absolutely blown by this!
My interpretation was that not even Samantha’s login details would be required for this, but anyone who had access to her activities on the app. I’m not a runner, but my understanding is that friends often share their exercise activities in apps to motivate one another… this is an optional setting from what I understand. I may be incorrect on these points so if anyone is more familiar with apps like strata please chip in!

I hadn't viewed the Under Investigation episode, so thank you Imstilla.grandma for your post.

A comment made by Nigel Phair, (who formerly headed investigations at the Australian High-Tech Crime Centre, (AHTCC)) is IMO of particular interest:
"That means someone's done something active against those two devices and you have to know what you are doing to think I'm going to completely take these out," he said.
"It's not just turning them off, it's destroying them and then getting rid of that piece of evidence."

Tampering with devices takes significant effort but Phair explained though criminals may attempt to change SIM cards, mobile phones, if on, are still traceable."

IMO this was therefore no random crime. IMO this was a professional hit rather than a hit-and-run accident or personal "crime of passion". Very carefully planned and organised by, well "organised" people.

Last edited:
I hadn't viewed the Under Investigation episode, so thank you Imstilla.grandma for your post.

A comment made by Nigel Phair, (who formerly headed investigations at the Australian High-Tech Crime Centre, (AHTCC)) is IMO of particular interest:
"That means someone's done something active against those two devices and you have to know what you are doing to think I'm going to completely take these out," he said.
"It's not just turning them off, it's destroying them and then getting rid of that piece of evidence."

Tampering with devices takes significant effort but Phair explained though criminals may attempt to change SIM cards, mobile phones, if on, are still traceable."

IMO this was therefore no random crime. IMO this was a professional hit rather than a hit-and-run accident or personal "crime of passion". Very carefully planned and organised by, well "organised" people.
Absolutely agree

I believe she will be found. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part, but her case has just tugged at my heart so much, I can't bear to think of her just vanishing forever. So I choose to believe she'll be found.

I think one of the people responsible will crack and come forward sometime soon. Maybe they were just meant to do the dirty work for a big payday and they didn't count on this case getting so much media publicity and so much scrutiny and now they're sweating bullets and looking over their shoulder every day, just waiting for the police to close in. I have a knot in my stomach just thinking about living like that; I can't imagine what it must be like to actually do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missylaforme