Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post had no sources>

Samantha Murphy was a fierce advocate for missing people, pets and cars in her local community before she vanished without a trace.

Link below.

So SM may have been onto an illegal dog fighting ring, been trying to get it shut down and was targeted due to that? Or maybe she just stumbled across a sale of a fighting dog in the forest, some shady characters?

Interestingly I just noticed the “…and cars” in this snippet. A fierce advocate for missing cars, really? Again maybe was crusading against a powerful car theft ring?

The plot thickens finally.

Last edited by a moderator:
They showed the presser of Jess speaking but not MM. I guess his plee for assistance/information wasn’t emotional enough for ratings.

IMO

Sorry,
But using a car from their own Business and then bringing it back would be soooo stupid that my teeth are hurting
(as we say in my country hehe)
even thinking about it.

But then, what do I know?
I'm not a criminal ;)

But really,
It would be full of victim's DNA.
You cannot easily get rid of it.

JMO

Sorry,
But using a car from their own Business and then bringing it back would be soooo stupid that my teeth are hurting
(as we say in my country hehe)
even thinking about it.

But then, what do I know?
I'm not a criminal ;)

But really,
It would be full of victim's DNA.
You cannot easily get rid of it.

JMO

Most likely that vehicle is in a storage shed somewhere, stripped or burnt

<modsnip - quoted post had no sources>

Samantha Murphy was a fierce advocate for missing people, pets and cars in her local community before she vanished without a trace.

Link below.

So SM may have been onto an illegal dog fighting ring, been trying to get it shut down and was targeted due to that? Or maybe she just stumbled across a sale of a fighting dog in the forest, some shady characters?

Interestingly I just noticed the “…and cars” in this snippet. A fierce advocate for missing cars, really? Again maybe was crusading against a powerful car theft ring?

The plot thickens finally.

I think we Wsleuths are HOT on Police's heels hahaha :D

Our theories are even more interesting than those of TV programme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess what I found...

:(

"Supreme Court hears how Ballarat mother Kobie Parfitt was killed and

dumped in a mineshaft."

Dotta I posted some links to this same Ballarat murder case earlier, IMO there are some interesting parallels to what possibly happed to SM, particularly body hidden in mineshaft.

One of the accomplices who served some time but was released last year. It was the accomplice who accidentally gave the location of the body away due to a phone ping.

The same accomplice also has a previous violent sexual assault conviction.

A long rap sheet as you say. Experience hiding bodies. Savy to phone pings.

EXCLUSIVE: A convicted sex-offender who has spent time in jail has been interviewed by detectives probing the disappearance of Ballarat mother Samantha Murphy.

The local man, who has a long rap sheet and who A Current Affair has chosen not to name, is understood to have provided an alibi for the day the 51-year-old went missing.

I’d be drilling down on that alibi.

EXCLUSIVE: A convicted sex-offender who has spent time in jail has been interviewed by detectives probing the disappearance of Ballarat mother Samantha Murphy.

The local man, who has a long rap sheet and who A Current Affair has chosen not to name, is understood to have provided an alibi for the day the 51-year-old went missing.

I’d be drilling down on that alibi.
I disagree pretty strongly, please don’t take offence though.

I think violent sex offenders have an urge that they can’t contain and do things on the spur of the moment. IMO he would have left some evidence unless he was an experienced serial killer.

VicPol have thrown many resources at this and they seem to be working with the media to apply pressure.

Some things that have been said, plus more importantly things that have NOT been said.

No warnings to the public, they are hot on the trail of the offender IMO.

Just like Greg Lynn who was arrested not long after the Under Investigation episode. This one has moved at lightning speed though in terms of complex investigations, listening devices are planted and they are waiting for the birds to start singing.

I think violent sex offenders have an urge that they can’t contain and do things on the spur of the moment. IMO he would have left some evidence unless he was an experienced serial killer.

VicPol have thrown many resources at this and they seem to be working with the media to apply pressure.

Some things that have been said, plus more importantly things that have NOT been said.

Just like Greg Lynn who was arrested not long after the Under Investigation episode. This one has moved at lightning speed though in terms of complex investigations, listening devices are planted and they are waiting for the birds to start singing.
Good insights! I’m very open minded about this just going down each rabbit warren…

Good insights! I’m very open minded about this just going down each rabbit warren…
I still think we’re onto something Dotta, even serial killers have to get their start somewhere…
- violent sexual assault
- accomplice to murder
- moved and hidden a body in a mine shaft
- previously convicted due to phone pings (won’t let that happen again).
If you subscribe to the violent predator theory that is a good CV for a POI.

Edited to add mine shafts.

Last edited:
I still think we’re onto something Dotta, even serial killers have to get their start somewhere…
- violent sexual assault
- accomplice to murder
- previously convicted due to phone pings (won’t let that happen again).
If you subscribe to the violent predator theory that is a good CV for a POI.

Absolutely!!!

Surprise, surprise

This person has just left prison.

The Herald Sun published an article today about the unsolved cases, of a serious nature, in Ballarat.

Case of missing mum Samantha Murphy evokes memories of Ballarat’s dark past

(paraphrased)

Terry Floyd (12) - abducted while waiting by the road for a lift, his brother thinks he is in the Morning Star mineshaft but red tape has stopped the police from searching this mineshaft completely
Kathleen Severino (70) - found at her home with fatal head injuries from a violent assault
Nina Nicholson (22) - attacked as she was leaving her home and found murdered on her verandah
Anthony Prebble (37) - kidnapped by 3 men from his home, battered body found in Creswick Forest by locals the next day
Tracey Howard (33) - left a nightclub on her own and was found dumped on a Pootilla back road, 37 hours later
Belinda Williams (36) - snatched from her home in the dead of night, and found dead in scrub at Mt Bunninyong, 11 days later

The Herald Sun published an article today about the unsolved cases, of a serious nature, in Ballarat.

(paraphrased)

Terry Floyd (12) - abducted while waiting by the road for a lift, his brother thinks he is in the Morning Star mineshaft but red tape has stopped the police from searching this mineshaft completely
Kathleen Severino (70) - found at her home with fatal head injuries from a violent assault
Nina Nicholson (22) - attacked as she was leaving her home and found murdered on her verandah
Anthony Prebble (37) - kidnapped by 3 men from his home, battered body found in Creswick Forest by locals the next day
Tracey Howard (33) - left a nightclub on her own and was found dumped on a Pootilla back road, 37 hours later
Belinda Williams (36) - snatched from her home in the dead of night, and found dead in scrub at Mt Bunninyong, 11 days later

I'm glad they've drawn attention to this, I have previously posted the female names on here as I remember them all starting from when I wasn't even 10yo!

So SM may have been onto an illegal dog fighting ring, been trying to get it shut down and was targeted due to that?
You may be right, but I have my doubts. SM was one very busy lady - she had a career, a family, a large home and property, theatre responsibilities, a fitness regime, family and friends to keep up with, a dog to walk, and who knows what else. I just don't see her having the time to be sleuthing dog fighting.

(paraphrased)

ooo @SouthAussie - you know I've often thought TH and BW were linked and I re-watched a "under investigation" type show re BW on youtube (as vic missing persons still involved in that one)

@SouthAussie - found the link - it was in my first post in thread #1 - worth a watch of the show. I might even re-watch now we are several weeks in.

Edit - here is the Vic Pol site (updated 2023) Belinda Williams

and a family appeal from 2020 here

Last edited:

Detective Willy, no offence taken at all as I’m still very open minded about this, all options are on the whiteboard.

I am an engineer by profession and at university was taught how to workshop ideas, by a passionate much loved lecturer who used to say to us “never rule anything out or shut down another students idea, get it all up on the white board without any judgement whatsoever and then develop each idea until the best solution presents itself”.

I’ve tried to live by that advice ever since and I’m applying it here.

I’m interested in your thinking and theories. Your comment “IMO he would have left some evidence unless he was an experienced serial killer” got me thinking…. Some thoughts:

- maybe police have evidence we are not aware of, but not enough to convict without a body - so perhaps the killer was not as clinical as it might seem?
- if police really have no evidence at all then it seems it was indeed an expert job. Presumably not done directly by someone close to SM as they don’t seem like a family that hangs out with serial killers IMO.
- is serial killer actually on the table here? I’ve just seen SouthAussie’s post, need to look into that angle. Go crows?

- is it a given that there will be warnings if there’s a killer out there? I’ve read elsewhere that this is now considered victim blaming by some. Ie saying “don’t go jogging alone in the forest anymore” is putting the onus/blame on victims rather than the perp. Not sure how I feel about that personally I think if a hazard is present you should give a warning, but it’s a sensitive area for many.

I’m a bit stuck here and hoping someone can help give examples of missing persons in recent years.
From memory most missing persons cases that have media attention, go through multiple press conferences and have seemed to have people known to the missing person ask the public to come forward with any information. (Eg Morcombe, tyrell) and as time goes on the spotlight and focus grows in intensity.

In what cases in the past have seen less activity when it comes to public appeal.
I can’t find cases where this has happened
If you can direct me to similar, I’d love to look into it
Kerry Whelan went missing on 6 May 1997 however the public didn't find out until 21 May due to ransom demands...

If there were suspicions of a serial killer, surely a warning could be issued along the lines of “police have reason to suspect that a repeat violent offender may be at large. To whatever extent is practically possible police are recommending that members of the public be alert and aware of their surroundings, particularly when moving in less frequented or isolated areas”…?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member