Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
VICPOL has stated clearly that Mrs Murphy is dead, a big statement, and one that is difficult to undo. Not having seen the body, nor has a doctor, nor an ambulance officer, nor a coroner, nor a serving officer of the police force seen the body, it is reasonable to assume that VICPOL have some very heavy , indisputable, unarguable evidence that confirms this statement.

It's the kind of statement that sets off a whole lot of civic faffing, property transfers, business partnership dissolved, car transfer ownership, grave purchases, registered transfers of stocks and bonds, bank accounts closed and re opened, Wills perused, articles defined, appointments cancelled, These things are hard to put into reverse if the police have made an error, so they have to be sure.

Someone saying that she is dead would not be enough, there would have to be tangible , solid evidence, like.. a film, or photographs, ... He is 22, most likely inexperienced in murdering women, perhaps not inexperienced in fantasizing,

I was impressed by the demeanor of the Police Commander, in this regard, there was no going backwards in respect of Mrs Murphy's demise, so ....

Last edited:
Can I ask you a question? :D

The name of the charged Police officer in Sydney
was not suppressed.
He is accused of killing 2 men.
And he also is alleged to suffer from "mental health issues".

So,
what is the difference between these 2 charged men?

1 name suppressed.
1 name not suppressed.
Both are Australians.
Such a good point.
Maybe they threw in the country town vs. big sydney city

was not suppressed.

So,

1 name suppressed.
1 name not suppressed.
Both are Australians.
The police officer in NSW did not have a lawyer, until he had been in custody for about 6 days. Hence, no one to request the supression order, the NSW police are hardly interested in doing it for him!!.... this young bloke seemed to have lawyer straight off the bat, but even then his lawyer was still slow out of the starting blocks.. which is why we all know his name.

Sometimes code for 'suicidal'.
The thing with many of these types of criminals is they are not suicidal because of the crime they committed. IMO most of them could easily live the rest of their lives without real remorse and are "happy" that they never got caught.

They are all OK until they get caught.

They are "upset" only AFTER they get caught. Not upset because of the evil crime that they committed (and also the great lengths they go to cover it up later).

I DO NOT feel sorry for him one iota after he has destroyed so many other peoples lives.

was not suppressed.
So,
Well, for one thing, it's a completely different state. Different places do things differently, might use things like suppression orders more often or for certain types of cases. And it's a different case, with a very different investigative journey to the court. There's no indication a suppression order was asked for in the case in NSW.

For further information, you're going to have to find an Aussie with legal knowledge, which I am not. I really don't have the expertise to comment on how it all works.

MOO

The thing with many of these types of criminals is they are not suicidal because of the crime they committed. IMO most of them could easily live the rest of their lives without real remorse and are "happy" that they never got caught.

They are "upset" only AFTER they get caught. Not upset because of the evil crime that they committed (and also the great lengths they go to cover it up later).

I DO NOT feel sorry for him one iota after he has destroyed so many other peoples lives.
Ridiculously, his own lawyer made that perfectly clear!.. he said his young man had no problems until he was arrested. I'd be asking for my money back if that was my lawyer, as any defence of mental illness at the time of the murder just got shot down in flames... .

VICPOL has stated clearly that Mrs Murphy is dead, a big statement, and one that is difficult to undo. Not having seen the body, nor has a doctor, nor an ambulance officer, nor a coroner, nor a serving officer of the police force seen the body, it is reasonable to assume that VICPOL have some very heavy , indisputable, unarguable evidence that confirms this statement.

It's the kind of statement that sets off a whole lot of civic faffing, property transfers, business partnership dissolved, car transfer ownership, grave purchases, registered transfers of stocks and bonds, bank accounts closed and re opened, Wills perused, articles defined, appointments cancelled,

Someone saying that she is dead would not be enough, there would have to be tangible , solid evidence, like.. a film, or photographs, ... He is 22, most likely inexperienced in murdering women, perhaps not inexperienced in fantasizing,

I was impressed by the demeanor of the Police Commander, in this regard, there was no going backwards in respect of Mrs Murphy's demise, so ....
Whatever he did with her body, it's likely he would have needed a vehicle to do it. He can't very well have carried her off in his arms to hide her, so I would bet at least a small amount of money that they found evidence in his vehicle that confirmed she was deceased. :(

I am also hoping that today, even though it is a horrible headline, that the words "found deceased" has been added.

NOW TELL THE POLICE WHERE SAM'S BODY IS!!
Some murderers hang on for years. Years. It has meaning to them. Right now, it's a power play , and realistically, it is this young man's last opportunity to power play anyone, anywhere, It is their precious secret, and why should they help ? Her body may never be found, it is not an improbable factor in this horror. He may think without a body he can't be found guilty, I don't know how stupid he actually is, but it is something that people really think is correct, I don't know why. Prison's have whole rows of cells with men sitting in them who hold onto the location of the bodies of women they murdered.. ..

Some even in states where they have no hope of parole without a body, they choose no parole!... I know, it sounds mad, but that is what it is...

Thanks for that. I'm not Australian and had never heard of this being done before.

My main question is, how can they enforce an order like that outside of Australia? Now that we live in an age of instantly available online news from around the world, it seems a bit odd to think they can stop anyone anywhere from publishing the man's name. Sure they can stop Aussie news outlets from publishing it, but if a newspaper in Dubai or a vlogger in New York continues to publish his info, what is an Australian court going to do? The information is still all over social media.
Sometimes the suppression order is not a just a name, but also shocking details from the arrest warrant, and those are often suppressed in many jurisdictions.

However, for just the name, IMO it is probably his fear around important people in his life reading about it in their local newspaper.

We heard some rumours on the thread late yesterday that appeared to be some kind of 'damage control' on his behalf. So maybe a campaign to ensure people who know him first hear about it on their own SM group, with reassurance such as 'they've got the wrong guy', or 'it's not how it looks.'

Just BTW, in my local community in Canada there was a name suppression order on a case of dangerous driving causing death.

Of course, there was local gossip, and some people even pointed him out to me (he was out on bail). But no one mentioned him by name.

After exhausting all delays, the case finally came to court. Just before the first witness was going to testify, the accused told his lawyer he wanted to change his plea to guilty. So the trial never went ahead.

IMO, it was entirely an attempt on his part to keep his family - back home somewhere - in ignorance. He had various problems, such as addiction, that would come out and would probably disappoint them, and he was just too weak to acknowledge how he'd messed up his life.

JMO

Last edited:

It's the kind of statement that sets off a whole lot of civic faffing, property transfers, business partnership dissolved, car transfer ownership, grave purchases, registered transfers of stocks and bonds, bank accounts closed and re opened, Wills perused, articles defined, appointments cancelled,

It's disturbing but I am wondering about - photos - especially if he did end up taking his phone with him to Mt Clear and that's how they pinpointed him to begin with. JMO

Such a good point.
Maybe they threw in the country town vs. big sydney city
The lawyer for SM’s accused murderer had to apply for the suppression order.

In the case of the Sydney perp, there was no application for a suppression order as far as I know. That perp probably gets a kick out of having his name and photos plastered everywhere.

Some murderers hang on for years. Years. It has meaning to them. Right now, it's a power play , and realistically, it is this young man's last opportunity to power play anyone, anywhere, It is their precious secret, and why should they help ? Her body may never be found, it is not an improbable factor in this horror. He may think without a body he can't be found guilty, I don't know how stupid he actually is, but it is something that people really think is correct, I don't know why. Prison's have whole rows of cells with men sitting in them who hold onto the location of the bodies of women they murdered.. ..

Some even in states where they have no hope of parole without a body, they choose no parole!... I know, it sounds mad, but that is what it is...

Bernadette Walker has never been found :(
And the man sentenced for her murder died in prison !!!

was not suppressed.

So,

1 name suppressed.
1 name not suppressed.
Both are Australians.
In the case of Jesse & Luke, BLC was basically a marked man, police had put out that they were looking for him. His name was "out there" days before.

Also his lawyer didn't apply for a suppression order

IMO

It's disturbing but I am wondering about - photos - especially if he did end up taking his phone with him to Mt Clear and that's how they pinpointed him to begin with. JMO
The good news is, they will also now be able to use his phone pings to figure out places he might have gone before killing Sam... especially nice remote spots that might be good for hiding a body. Even if he was clever enough to leave his devices at home on the day he attacked her, I would be shocked if he didn't already have his hiding spot planned out. It was probably a place he had scoped out and prepared for the day he followed through on his awful plans, so hopefully it's now going to be easier for LE to comb through all of that data and find Sam ASAP. IMO, MOO, etc., etc.

IMO, no one is arguing anyone should feel sorry for the arrested person. (Maybe his Grandma might). I don't think the lawyer is even making that bid to the public. But the lawyer may have to provide a reason to a judge for a suppression order, and judges/prison guards, etc all want to ensure an accused doesn't commit suicide. Again, not for emotional reasons of 'feeling sorry', but in order for justice to be served.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member