Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding body found around midday Saturday - "Further deepening the mystery, a second crime scene has been set up at a residential address 83 kilometres away from Buckley on Mirka Way in Point Cook, believed to be connected to the deceased woman". So definitely not Samantha.

Yes, I don't so, 5 weeks now for Samantha, this sounds quite recent

I absolutely agree that the accused is extremely unlikely to report accurately on his experience in the lead up to, and after, this appalling alleged offense. However in my mind this is different to saying there is NO motive. Everything we do, all of the time, is impacted by unconscious or conscious motivations and associations. I very much doubt the accused has much self reflective capacity, if he did then he would not have committed such a horrific alleged offense. I don’t believe the accused is, therefore, the best person to ask about his intentions. But skilled forensic psychologists who have access to his developmental history and characteristic ways of relating to others are likely to be able to build a fairly likely hypothesised motive or motives. JMO. MOO.
And therein lies the difficulty for this young man and all the other young men and middle aged men etc who kill ... it';s all below the surface, this includes their own surface knowledge of themselves.. they fool themselves as well as others. A hypothesized motive is perhaps , in some circumstances , more useful than nothing, but it is, in the end, meaningless, in so far as it is of no use to the person in question. They cannot access their own subconscious, and even if they could , they lack the skill to unravel it.

It is tempting to believe that this murder worries this bloke, that could be a mistake, it may mean absolutely nothing to him except in the payment of consequences.. that may be frightening, or, it could be exciting , something to look forward to, mad as that may appear.

It may not be a motive most healthy people can understand, but that doesn’t mean it is motiveless. Many highly disturbed persons have deficits in their capacity to relate in a healthy empathic way to other human beings. This leads them to seek power and control over others. People are objectified and used to bolster their own self regard. Many of these individuals only feel a sense of agency by manipulating and having power over individuals. The power to determine whether someone lives or dies can be intoxicating for such persons. Yes, it’s seriously disturbed, but the motives are comprehensible taking all this into account, even if inexcusable.
I understand and agree with what you say. I wonder though if there are limits or thresholds on what can be legally described as a motive, such that it can be stated as such in legal proceedings.

I reasise that there does not need to be an established motive to convict for a murder, let alone any other crime.

He may not even understand the motive himself
Highly likely. If he had one, he probably does not remember it, or at least, now that he has killed, the urgency of it all has faded, along with the thought process that led up to it. He probably would not ever reveal those thought processes, because it would reflect badly, most likely , on the image he projects himself as.

We've all met that projected image, the happy go lucky sporty bloke, tradie, all round party guy, Dad's boy, Mum's chicky, prince of the village, wicketkeeper, etc..

All of us have unconscious and conscious motivations. Unconscious motivations can become conscious if a person is committed to engaging in depth psychological work (ie., psychodynamically informed psychotherapy). However most persons committing heinous crimes are afraid of self-knowledge. They have erected a highly defensive “false self” to protect a very wounded inner core. Empathy is almost by definition lacking. As is self reflective capacity.

Motives are not required for conviction. But many people interested in psychology, criminology and forensics feel compelled to try to understand what motivates such horrific actions as murder. An understanding of potential motives can be helpful in considering possible suspects in a crime. It can also be helpful for those trying to make sense of how fellow human beings can commit such horrific acts. I believe it is part of the very human desire to predict and control and make sense of the world that motivates speculation Re motives… as well as using that knowledge to try to prevent further crimes. Extensive efforts are being made to prevent future offenders by programs focused on early infant attachment and emotional competencies. Risk for such actions begins very early in life typically…

Last edited:
I understand and agree with what you say. I wonder though if there are limits or thresholds on what can be legally described as a motive, such that it can be stated as such in legal proceedings.

I reasise that there does not need to be an established motive to convict for a murder, let alone any other crime.
His barrister will steer clear, completely, of any mention of motive. The prosecutor, ditto. It serves no purpose, mainly because Mrs Murphy, and Mr S were total strangers to each other. If he pleads insanity, for example, I am sure a motive will be created, something that includes being bullied as a child, a mother complex, a father issue, and so on , sisters who dragged him around the yard as a baby, etc, all sorts of stuff like this....

Doesn't mean it has any fact to it. .. Won't have anything to do with Mrs Murphy.

Last edited:
That is what I still feel-and I’m usually not this stubborn. I keep saying she was hit…most likely driver was intoxicated and he panicked— ,
I believe the deliberate act of murder came because he hit Samantha and caused severe trauma to her but she was still alive. PS gets out of the car, sees she is badly hurt -and if Samantha was still conscious, she saw him and can now ID him and, for a lack of a better term, PS “finished her off” and hid her body-hence deliberate act of murder.
Nikyoo it looks like our opinion isn’t the most popular! Sorry! I’ll eat crow if I’m wrong-and I don’t say that lightly
If that was the case, now that he has been arrested and presumably presented with evidence that suggests his involvement that he would say where the body is?? The fact that he isn’t forthcoming with this important information makes me think there is more to hide ??? JMO

If that was the case, now that he has been arrested and presumably presented with evidence that suggests his involvement that he would say where the body is?? The fact that he isn’t forthcoming with this important information makes me think there is more to hide ??? JMO

I tend to agree with this. Other than quite literally taking the advise of his lawyer to not talk, innocent until proven guilty etc, he could be wanting to hide the extent of her injuries JMO

He is a young man, who may be perhaps younger than his chronological age may present, and this is his moment to engage in a major power play. Which is what this is, basically. It's him giving a big up-yours to VICPOL when he had them fooled and running all over the state, and now they pulled the rug out from under him, so, it's his last throw of the dice, probably the last time in his life where he holds a major ace in his hands. It has meaning to him. It has significance. He has something everybody wants for the only time in his life.

Some murderers , a lot older and smarter than this bloke , can play this game for years. Decades. Some do it even though it means no parole. No. They want to hang on to their big secret. It has become their central driving force.

The Cretin doesn't care if poor Samantha is rotting away out there in the bush, as long as the police can't charge him with more evidence if they find her body now, cunning as a dunny rat

Maybe in a similar sense you could serial killers, the likes of Ted Bundy, did not have a specific motive.

It is just that they are psychopath's (or similar) and get some enjoyment or pleasure out of it, which I don't know if you could call that a motive as most normal mentally balanced people would understand?
The likes of Ted Bundy are sadistic sexually motivated killers. During sexual development, his brain linked violence with sexual feelings/pleasure. He had a motive which can't be changed, medicated, rehabilitated or psychoanalyzed away, only the death penalty or life in prison, w/o any possible parole, is the answer.
MOO

I tend to agree with this. Other than quite literally taking the advise of his lawyer to not talk, innocent until proven guilty etc, he could be wanting to hide the extent of her injuries JMO
I don’t have much legal experience but wouldn’t a lawyer involved in such a high profile case with worldwide coverage advise their client to disclose where the body is ? The gamble of withholding the information in this case where the police have used the charge of murder against the accused seems pointless?? What could they possibly be hoping for in regards to any kind of defense or reduction in sentence in this matter ?? Jmo

My guess is that she saw him doing something shady or illegal and maybe even took a photo of him to warn other runners. He saw her and tried to get the phone off her and there was a struggle. I think he was wandering in the bush coming down from his bender.

The likes of Ted Bundy are sadistic sexually motivated killers. During sexual development, his brain linked violence with sexual feelings/pleasure. He had a motive which can't be changed, medicated, rehabilitated or psychoanalyzed away, only the death penalty or life in prison, w/o any possible parole, is the answer.
MOO
Even crimes that are sexual and sexually motivated though, tend to be about power…

I don’t have much legal experience but wouldn’t a lawyer involved in such a high profile case with worldwide coverage advise their client to disclose where the body is ? The gamble of withholding the information in this case where the police have used the charge of murder against the accused seems pointless?? What could they possibly be hoping for in regards to any kind of defense in this matter ?? Jmo
I have no doubt that Mr Tamiko has advised his client accordingly. Some clients are very very difficult. Mr Tamiko would have pointed out the slight advantages the client may attract by a spirit of co operation with the police at this stage of the game when the game is well and truly over, probably over and over again, with varying degrees of emphasis and persuasion. This is a lawyers job, and there is no reason to doubt Mr Tamiko's competency at this point. ..

it is my opinion that Mr Tamiko is well and truly earning his fee, in spades.

Because of the sustained and repeated call outs for info/dashcam from LE about a damaged car between 7AM-7PM. Its one of many theories that gained a lot of traction. It doesn't mean there was a collision with Sam, it might've been on trying to exit the area unseen and hitting a fence or ploughing through a gate.
Or damaging a tree (remembering the intensive police search where tree sap apparently was collected ). Could have backed into or front nudged the tree with such force that you would expect a visibly damaged vehicle resulting .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amps