Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods - can we please consider not closing this thread tonight? Now that there's no ban on naming the perpetrator I feel that the rule violations have toned down a bit. When you close it it's at just 4pm Australian time - and being an Australian crime, this means us Aussies miss out (+ key news pieces could still arise during the closed hours)

T
It’s interesting that police are yet to publish clear details of his vehicle, it’s currently known/assumed movements on the day, and further appeals for sightings or CCTV of THAT specific vehicle. From memory with Borce R. they even re-enacted the assumed/known route in the same or a similar car.

I’d have expected police to release some clear images, rego, description of the vehicle, where they currently think/know it was around that time. Get as much into as possible about its movements.

I doubt even most financially stable parents could afford that kind of money.

Won't he get a Public Defender?

Does it depend on family's financial status?
Parents will go to all sorts of lengths to look after their children's interests.

I refer you to the Australian Murder Trial of Warriena Wright from about a decade ago, with the accused changing legal council 3 times, before being found Not Guilty of murder nor manslaughter.

From memory, the accused was working for the fathers business, but I'd say the family paid all the costs.

Today was also the first time Tostee appeared in court with his new lawyer, Nick Dore, from Fisher Dore Lawyers, the Gold Coast Bulletin reported.

Mr Dore was Tostee's third lawyer, having previously split from high-profile Gold Coast law firm Potts Lawyers, and Terry O'Gorman from the Robertson O'Gorman firm.

In November last year Tostee was granted bail at the Supreme Court in Brisbane, but was ordered to obey strict bail conditions that prevented him from using the dating app Tinder and drinking or partying into the small hours of the night.

His parents also paid a A$200,000 ($220,000) surety to ensure Tostee would not abscond.

Mods - can we please consider not closing this thread tonight? Now that there's no ban on naming the perpetrator I feel that the rule violations have toned down a bit. When you close it it's at just 4pm Australian time - and being an Australian crime, this means us Aussies miss out (+ key news pieces could still arise during the closed hours)
Yes! Totally agree.

As of Friday, the house that was being "housesat" and the gf were not allowed to be discussed on here. Has this changed? I know other posts were deleted from discussion for invasion of privacy, sleuthing the gf, etc, so I'm just asking if something has changed and it's now being allowed?

Parents will go to all sorts of lengths to look after their children's interests.

I refer you to the Australian Murder Trial of Warriena Wright from about a decade ago, with the accused changing legal council 3 times, before being found Not Guilty of murder nor manslaughter.

From memory, the accused was working for the fathers business, but I'd say the family paid all the costs.

Today was also the first time Tostee appeared in court with his new lawyer, Nick Dore, from Fisher Dore Lawyers, the Gold Coast Bulletin reported.

Mr Dore was Tostee's third lawyer, having previously split from high-profile Gold Coast law firm Potts Lawyers, and Terry O'Gorman from the Robertson O'Gorman firm.

In November last year Tostee was granted bail at the Supreme Court in Brisbane, but was ordered to obey strict bail conditions that prevented him from using the dating app Tinder and drinking or partying into the small hours of the night.

His parents also paid a A$200,000 ($220,000) surety to ensure Tostee would not abscond.

I understand.

I don't want to sound like a grim prophet,
but the astronomical costs (lawyer, defence team, possible expert witnesses)
might lead to family's bankruptcy.
Mum is a teacher
(I'm a teacher too so I know financial status of this profession),
Dad is an electrician.
Sure, the family probably have savings from Dad's sports career.
What about future appeals?

Well,
but I understand that parents might take the burden of costs to employ the best lawyer possible.

But Public Defenders are excellent as well.
They represent Law and Justice.

JMO

The Sunday Herald Sun reports police have identified a new location of interest in the search and are reviewing security camera footage from businesses in a light industrial and residential area of Ballarat East.

Homeowners and businesses in Elsworth, Joseph and Butt streets in the suburb of Canadian have handed over footage from the time Ms Murphy disappeared and police have also searched the area, which is home to businesses such as panel beaters, gyms and self-storage facilities.

This footage will tell them about any vehicles entering or exiting the national park via katy ryans road/dozed track. Or odd behaviour of vehicles.

In earlier news articles, they were interested in 7am-11am on the day itself (Sun 4 Feb). I notice this time they are just asking for all the footage.

I wonder if there was an item either left within the park which was then retrieved, or if these roads are thought to be the pathway that anyone involved may have re-approached the alleged crime scene.

Sorry Mods O/T, but

Any Sydney siders please keep a look out for Hussein, he's been missing for 2 days now. He lives with Down Syndrome & Autism :(

Have you seen Hussein?
Hussein, aged 12, was last seen running from Auburn Memorial Park towards the intersection of Station Road and Rawson Street, Auburn, at 10.30am Saturday 9 March 2024.
When Hussein was unable to be located, he was reported missing to officers attached to Auburn Police Area Command, who commenced inquiries to locate him.
Following inquiries police believe Hussein may have been in the vicinity of Norval Street and Hevington Road, Auburn, about 9pm Saturday 9 March 2024.
Police and family hold very serious concerns for Hussein’s welfare as he lives with down syndrome, autism, is nonverbal and has not been sighted for two days.
Hussein is described as being of Mediterranean/Middle Eastern appearance, of slim build, about 140cm tall, with short black hair and brown eyes.
He was last seen wearing a white shirt and a nappy/diaper. Hussein is not wearing any shoes.
Hussein may be scared of strangers and run away if approached, police recommend if anyone sees Hussein to immediately contact Triple Zero (000) and advise them of his location and movements.
Police are asking the public to check common areas, fire escapes, sheds, backyards and other public areas in Auburn especially on the Norval Street. Auburn area.

1710120277671.jpeg1710120307975.jpeg1710120372466.jpeg

Last edited:

Agreed! I think they need some Aussie / Kiwi mods to help with the different time zones.

Another thought I had I think it's safe to assume that if he had been drinking all night he would have tried to stick to backroads as the police would have probably been out in force waiting to pick up drink drivers given there was a music festival in town that weekend
Which music festival was on in town that weekend please? I did a google search and nothing came up for that particular weekend, mind you a lot of websites are only showing what's coming up not past.

This footage will tell them about any vehicles entering or exiting the national park via katy ryans road/dozed track. Or odd behaviour of vehicles.

In earlier news articles, they were interested in 7am-11am on the day itself (Sun 4 Feb). I notice this time they are just asking for all the footage.

I wonder if there was an item either left within the park which was then retrieved, or if these roads are thought to be the pathway that anyone involved may have re-approached the alleged crime scene.
The PS Ute has three distinguishing features that should be easily picked up on in CCTV or even peoples recollections .
The thick black CB radio aerial mounted on the front bull bar
The black snorkel on the drivers side front mudguard
The black vinyl covered rear mounted rooftop camping / sleeping accessory .
Whilst not unique these add ons will make the vehicle stand out .

Attachments

• IMG_7734.png
    IMG_7734.png
    319 KB · Views: 24
It was
Which music festival was on in town that weekend please? I did a google search and nothing came up for that particular weekend, mind you a lot of websites are only showing what's coming up not past.
called Feb Fever .. a smallish event running over I think six weekends at the renovated bluestone goods shed at Ballarat Rail Stn.

Attachments

• IMG_7651.png
    IMG_7651.png
    171.4 KB · Views: 7
From the beginning LE was only requesting footage from the Sunday 7:00AM to 7:00PM... I thought that start time didn't leave much opportunity for LE to piece together CCTV movements BEFORE she left for her run.

We know she had a dinner with Mick and friends the Saturday night. I felt they should be sussing out footage from the night before also. The gathering of these hours could've been paramount as the club closed at 3:00AM. For weeks they only wanted footage from 7:00AM onwards and it never made sense to me, but of course, in these early days they were convinced Samantha had an accident on her run and was stranded somewhere in the bush . As time went on this scenario was becoming less and less likely. I hope footage before 7:00AM wasn't lost in the process. Who knows how long different places store video footage? Dash cams? Are they overridden after a certain time? I don't know enough about it.
It was after 6-7days it was announced as suspicious though, as always the public only know a fraction of what the police do in these cases... Abduction/foul play would have been high on their list early on no doubt, just because they didn't make it public (especially if they didn't have any solid leads on evidence or couldn't confirm this theory at the time, theres no reason to announce all their avenues of interest to the public) early on doesn't mean they weren't looking at all evidence available from all different angles, I.e. abduction/foul play, left by choice, mental health, injury, disorientation and lost, medical episode etc... they wanted that window of cctv early on considering they didn't have a specific lead just many avenues and that time was the most logical and appropriate to request and investigate, once more clues came they can the start piecing the puzzle. I don't agree it was weeks of the police following just one line of inquiry you mentioned, as stated they announced the disappearance as suspicious after 6-7 days, that's not weeks of thinking she had an "accident on her run and was stranded somewhere in the bush", mind you a very small chunk of bush that boarders a major regional city, this wasn't real open expansive bushland.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member