Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the phone reception like there? If she had of been bitten by a brown she would of likely had enough time up her sleeve to at least phone for help.
IMO she would have time to phone for help if the phone was in her clothing/bum bag. If she had been bitten, though, she may dropped her phone, and if she were in a bushy area with longish grass, she may not have been able to find it without foraging around. That would definitely be a very scary and dangerous thing to do, knowing a brown was right there and had already bitten her once. If that were the case, she may have decided to remain still/sit for a few minutes in the hope that it would move away, and then start looking for the phone.

Phone reception IMO would depend where she was. Geographic features such as hills and treed areas can adversely affect reception.

If you were stalking someone and decided to take an opportunity - would you remove evidence including, phones/watches - (unless you were interrupted) so that all links would be removed. IMO

Or would you leave phone/smartwatch if you wanted people to assume person was still out in the area they were running/walking to lure people in this direction especially since it's remote and away from CCTV?? JMO

If you were stalking someone and decided to take an opportunity - would you remove evidence including, phones/watches - (unless you were interrupted) so that all links would be removed. IMO

Or would you leave phone/smartwatch if you wanted people to assume person was still out in the area they were running/walking to lure people in this direction especially since it's remote and away from CCTV?? JMO
That's an interesting question nightrider17.
IMO investigators would be able to obtain data showing whether or not another party's device(s) were pinging in the same spots at the same time (if they had a device with them). Hence, I'm guessing it would be better to remove such evidence/discard it. There's pros and cons though IMO.

The person convicted of the murder of Jill Meagher was located using data as above.

At this stage my thoughts are:
1. The husband - because so many times it has turned out to be the husband. This familiar fact combined with his slightly odd behaviours which support an uneasy feeling in my gut. However, that being said, who knows how any one person might react to this awful shock. If I went missing my husband would be so awkward and weird in front of a camera and he would definitely be trying to play down the thought that anything bad had happened. He would quite probably be all over the place with emotions of anger, denial and possibly laughter which he would use to disguise the less masculine traits of sadness and fear.
2. The strange homeless man - if it is true that a dishevelled homeless man was seen lurking in the area then that is a definite possibility. A homeless man in our town attacked a female jogger on a bushland track that runs between two towns. These people have mental illness and can experience all kinds of hallucinations and delusions. I assume police know if there is any truth in that theory but also you would think that they would not let people in the area if there was any danger.
3. Suicide - is always a possibility that even while happy on the outside people can be struggling on the inside. Depression plagues people of all ages and in all situations. It is definitely a possibility also.

We are all just guessing and I think that is okay but we all must be respectful to the family who are suffering terribly just now.

@nightrider17 the two things that are possibly important clues (relating to your idea re potential stalker or someone who had some criminal intent re SM or family assets) have appeared in two media stories. The first was one very early on that indicated that SM had been home alone over Xmas / new year as she had COVID. She didn't travel with the family to a coastal area - as they did every year - because she was unwell. This means her contacts & interactions over this time within the town could be relevant. Secondly, a brief mention in the paper yesterday that the night prior to her disappearance the adults hosted a dinner party. As in other cases, this sometimes gives people (potential suspects) access to belongings/tech or information re future plans eg planned jog. I'm not sure if I have a working theory but I do think that the phone ping & the phone being turned on & off could be to delete information that could incriminate the possible perpetrator.

What's the phone reception like there? If she had of been bitten by a brown she would of likely had enough time up her sleeve to at least phone for help.
Apparently you can die within 1/2 an hour of a brown snake bite but thats enough time for a phone call. Also you imagine she would be somewhere on a track.

The thing that has stuck in my mind that has been bothering me is that Sam’s daughter said her mum is too strong to give up this fight. That statement has a few possible conclusions you could draw from it. Initially I thought she may perhaps have been fighting a physical or mental health battle. However since the police have said that Sam is physically and mentally very strong I find myself more confused about this statement and its possible meaning. Did anyone else pick up on this? Don’t know why I’m so stuck on it!

Do You think its is possible for someone to have left the property on foot undetected by the property's own CCTV and access bushland?? OMO

Just wanted your thoughts on this possibility? JMO
I think it’s a possibility. That’s without knowing the amount of cameras the property has. If it’s just that singular one with the known footage of Samantha then for sure It is. On maps street view There are two access points via two gates. The property is quit big and even has a pond (One of two behind the property). Where the camera appears to be from the still image you could literally walk out of either gate unseen from the camera, as well as other points on the big property if ya wanted to go over the fence. The location of the known camera appears to be about 60m from one of the gates, which to me, would be the only one that could be seen from that particular location.

It also depends on if the still image of Samantha has been zoomed Or not whether one gate could be seen. It’s not super close however and the incorrect cctv footage of the runner at the kennel place down the road shows the further away the harder it is to make out what’s going on.

i can’t fully commit to saying it’s a high probability, but from the limited source of information I have I thinks it’s a possibility. All MOO IMO of course.

OMFG - so news.com.au have just updated their story including a headline of "Devastating Blow in Missing Mum Search" as breaking news - in the story they are still saying that the video of the woman running is her. Talk about media confusing the situation!! in a top story they are still quoting information that has long since become void! WTF happened to responsible media and journalism??? Although to be honest I don't think news.com.au has been "responsible journalism" for decades now...

Bloody hell.

they write the first article then just add new stuff to the top. Means that old, outdated and just wrong info is often left in if they can't or won't edit it out or point out that its an edited article. Also means there's no older articles to refer back to as they're continuously editing them which isn't great for archiving etc

The thing that has stuck in my mind that has been bothering me is that Sam’s daughter said her mum is too strong to give up this fight. That statement has a few possible conclusions you could draw from it. Initially I thought she may perhaps have been fighting a physical or mental health battle. However since the police have said that Sam is physically and mentally very strong I find myself more confused about this statement and its possible meaning. Did anyone else pick up on this? Don’t know why I’m so stuck on it!
I took it to mean that she thinks (is hoping) her mum is fighting to survive somewhere and will fight until she is found

"Police confirmed yesterday that the search through bushland, on Ballarat's south-eastern fringe where the 51-year-old mother-of-three was believed to have disappeared on Sunday, will halt.

The heavily forested area is popular with hikers and joggers, and Ms Murphy was last seen heading there for her regular morning jog at 7am on Sunday.

Victoria Police said the "current phase of the active search … has been scaled back over the weekend".

"Police continue to be in regular contact with Samantha's family regarding developments and the status of the investigation," police said.

"As any new information comes to hand identifying areas of interest, the search will be scaled up.""

I'm confused too. Is there two lots of footage? The 1st is confirmed as Sam setting off on a run and the 2nd is footage taken from a nearby zoo which has now been confirmed as a different jogger. Is this right?
The first footage is of Samantha holding a plastic bag which appears to be dog poo but its hard to be positive what’s in the Bag, seems likely though. She’s not technically setting off for a run cos She’s facing the house holding a small plastic bag.

The second was of a jogger taken a bit down the road on eureka street, it’s a dog kennel and cattery place. it was at 7:16am and That was officially ruled out as being Samantha.

I
@nightrider17 the two things that are possibly important clues (relating to your idea re potential stalker or someone who had some criminal intent re SM or family assets) have appeared in two media stories. The first was one very early on that indicated that SM had been home alone over Xmas / new year as she had COVID. She didn't travel with the family to a coastal area - as they did every year - because she was unwell. This means her contacts & interactions over this time within the town could be relevant. Secondly, a brief mention in the paper yesterday that the night prior to her disappearance the adults hosted a dinner party. As in other cases, this sometimes gives people (potential suspects) access to belongings/tech or information re future plans eg planned jog. I'm not sure if I have a working theory but I do think that the phone ping & the phone being turned on & off could be to delete information that could incriminate the possible perpetrator.

This is really sticking in my head and someone else mentioned it too. I'd quote it, but alas, it's humid (thus lazy). I also read the Tim Watson- Munro piece. I take what he says with a,"grain of salt." Yes, a forensic psychologist, but with a dubious history and was struck off his registration awhile back. The poor reporting also is quoting a "claimed pyschic," who also has a dubious history. I want tend to stick to this thread and the facts VicPol put out. I made a bit of speculation yesterday of which now seems a bit hypocritical.

• In short: Police have called off search crews from the bushland where Ballarat woman Samantha Murphy disappeared on Sunday.
  • The investigation has been handed to the Missing Persons unit.
  • What next? Detectives are investigating the days leading up to the 51-year-old's disappearance and are working with telecommunications companies to track her phone and smart watch

My heart goes out to this family. My close friend's son went missing 5 and a bit years ago in Tassie. I'll never forget those days that he was missing and the wondering. The outcome of which was foul play, but it's the,"what ifs," that keep you awake at night.

I

This is really sticking in my head and someone else mentioned it too. I'd quote it, but alas, it's humid (thus lazy). I also read the Tim Watson- Munro piece. I take what he says with a,"grain of salt." Yes, a forensic psychologist, but with a dubious history and was struck off his registration awhile back. The poor reporting also is quoting a "claimed pyschic," who also has a dubious history. I want tend to stick to this thread and the facts VicPol put out. I made a bit of speculation yesterday of which now seems a bit hypocritical.

@OptimusLime - agree, I only mention it because those details stick in my head. I haven't come across Tim Watson-Munro etc but I understand what you mean re the difference between helpful info, helpful speculation and things that just muddy the water. You are talking about discernment / evaluation. I just could not *not* mention them because they niggle at me - doesn't mean it needs to be given weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppalachianGirl