Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't strike me as indifferent. He seemed more like he was emotionally detaching from the reality so he could hold himself together. Like his thoughts had withdrawn and left his body on autopilot.
yes, possibly detatching as a coping mechanism, i do it myself, i guess the bemused look could have been him trying to look pleasant, like everythings ok, he did look very distressed in that photo of him red faced in the car, whatever the situation it must be a never ending nightmare, especially with all the public scrutiny

Surely in the last few days a searcher would have smelt a decaying body if SM had passed and was close to a track or search path. Leads me to believe SM is not in the search area and/or still alive.
We had a missing hiker case near me (also a thread for her here on W's)

Similarly last seen early on a Sunday am leaving her house for a hike (but driving to the location and her car was there). She made contact with her husband 3 hours after leaving the house, then no response. LE and volunteers weren't involved by that afternoon searching.

She was ultimately found very, very near the main entrance to the preserve, right by the only restrooms, but just off a few feet in a technically "closed" portion of trail.

Much of the search staging was done very near where her body was found, and this is in the heat of Phoenix, so very similar highs to the current temps in Australia right now.

Even with search dogs, drones, helicopters, searchers on foot and horseback, she was not noticed (nor was there smell - again, similar heat, Kathleen was just found 4 days later so it didn't go on as long) until Wednesday.

So IMO it's entirely possible. Though maybe by now if SM were close a smell might be more obvious.

Just heard on ABC radio.

A police woman asked for the public not to speculate, because they want their information to be "pristine".

To me it kind of sounded like they had a lead, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Last edited:
Just heard on ABC radio.

A police woman asked for the public not to specuate, because they want their information to be "pristine".

To me it kind of sounded like they had a lead, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.
I think this the related article Toots .. (ABC Ballarat) Although they didn’t quote the word “pristine” …

A former detective has urged the public to stop speculating and "let police do their job" as they continue to investigate the mysterious disappearance of Ballarat woman Samantha Murphy.

Just heard on ABC radio.

A police woman asked for the public not to specuate, because they want their information to be "pristine".

Charlie Bezzina thinks the police know more about what happened than they are saying.

Former Victoria Police homicide detective Charlie Bezzina said the decision to scale back the search likely meant that police had a particular line of inquiry they were looking into.
“The fact that they’ve scaled back the search is indicative that they’re looking at a particular line of inquiry,” Bezzina told Sunrise.

Charlie Bezzina thinks the police know more about what happened than they are saying.

Former Victoria Police homicide detective Charlie Bezzina said the decision to scale back the search likely meant that police had a particular line of inquiry they were looking into.
“The fact that they’ve scaled back the search is indicative that they’re looking at a particular line of inquiry,” Bezzina told Sunrise.

That does make sense. I think they're getting close now.

I think VicPol are close to revealing some info, but they also need to make sure that there is no reasonable doubt too
I can't figure out how to get the bold typeface to not be bold. I had more to write, but I'll be so bold as to not write

Ms Fraser also dispelled the notion of the "myth" that someone has to wait 24 to 48 hours to report a missing person, praising Ms Murphy's family for sounding the alarm on the day she disappeared.

"In any investigation the first 24 hours are so important," she said.

"When it's unusual or out of character there's no 'how long are you supposed to wait' — if you're concerned … and have genuine fears for their welfare, go to the police station immediately.

"A missing persons report cannot be made over the phone, you have to go down to the station and you have to report it in person."

One of things I always think about is that technology can give you so much information - and that is something that they have. We don't know if the phone ping was 5pm or later. As someone pointed out this morning (can't remember who, apologies, thread moves quickly) police are very deliberate in what they share and might slightly misdirect the public for a purpose.

It does seem like the curtailing of the search and requests for internet 'sleuthing' to stop might point to there being a hot lead IMHO

I really hope so, and even if it isn't a great outcome I hope the family have closure.

Just to reiterate , that today, in Victoria, schools are closing, State Parks are closed to visitors, no one is allowed to do the usual dangerous stuff, like axle grinding out in the open, cigarette butt discarding, BBQ, lots of farm stuff, etc, now that the fire rating is graded Catastrophic (the highest and most dangerous rating ) and God Knows Every Victorian Knows What That Means......... not a day to be lost in the bush.
And now a thunderstorm warning for that area

We had a missing hiker case near me (also a thread for her here on W's)

Similarly last seen early on a Sunday am leaving her house for a hike (but driving to the location and her car was there). She made contact with her husband 3 hours after leaving the house, then no response. LE and volunteers weren't involved by that afternoon searching.

She was ultimately found very, very near the main entrance to the preserve, right by the only restrooms, but just off a few feet in a technically "closed" portion of trail.

Much of the search staging was done very near where her body was found, and this is in the heat of Phoenix, so very similar highs to the current temps in Australia right now.

Even with search dogs, drones, helicopters, searchers on foot and horseback, she was not noticed (nor was there smell - again, similar heat, Kathleen was just found 4 days later so it didn't go on as long) until Wednesday.

So IMO it's entirely possible. Though maybe by now if SM were close a smell might be more obvious.

was this then heat stroke or a heart attack? No foul play? (not trying to derail this thread but maybe natural causes in this thread too...?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove