Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
was this then heat stroke or a heart attack? No foul play? (not trying to derail this thread but maybe natural causes in this thread too...?)
From what I understand from SM’s case natural causes are very unlikely - she had a phone and a watch with her, both of these can be used to contact emergency services easily.

SM seems like a ‘responsible’ person, don’t think she would go bush bashing during a run and if she had a medical emergency during a run and collapsed it would have been on the track where she would have been found by now.

Authorities stopped the search for SM in the forest also indicates that she is unlikely to be there.

Someone has taken her elsewhere IMO

I see some folks here are discussing the actions taken by police the day of her disappearance, so I thought I'd check PolAir's ADSB data on the Sunday to get a rough timeline.

WNuedPZH64.png

Sunday 4th February movements of VH-PVO (POL30)
15:38 - Begins flying towards the Ballarat area from Flinders (roughly 136km away)
16:18 - Arrives near Buninyong and begins searching the area around Union Jack Reserve
17:04 - Leaves north towards Ballarat aerodrome
18:02 - Departs Ballarat Aerodrome and begins doing laps of the properties between Yankie Flat Rd and Woowookarung Regional Park.
18:37 - Begins a final single fly over Canadian Plantation north towards her property and back south.
18:47 - Departs the Ballarat area en route to Melbourne.

So all-in-all it hovered over the area for around 1.5 hours. I presume the stop at the aerodrome was for refueling or to wait for new instructions/information.

My thinking is that it searched these two particular areas due to their inaccessibility (either private land or dense/hilly).

Take from this what you will but I just thought it was interesting to see that such resources were called in less than 10 hours since her disappearance.

source: adsbexchange

I see some folks here are discussing the actions taken by police the day of her disappearance, so I thought I check PolAir's ADSB data on the Sunday to get a rough timeline.

View attachment 482842

Sunday 4th February movements of POL30
15:38 - Begins flying towards the Ballarat area from Flinders (roughly 136km away)
16:18 - Arrives near Buninyong and begins searching the area around Union Jack Reserve
18:02 - Departs Ballarat Aerodrome and begins doing laps of the properties between Yankie Flat Rd and Woowookarung Regional Park.
18:37 - Begins a final single fly over Canadian Plantation north towards her property and back south.

So all-in-all it hovered over the area for around 1.5 hours. I presume the stop at the aerodrome was for refueling or to wait for new instructions/information.

My thinking is that it searched these two particular areas due to their inaccessibility (either private land or dense/hilly).

Take from this what you will but I just thought it was interesting to see that such resources were called in less than 10 hours since her disappearance.

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

As someone linked on the previous page, police stated that the 24/48 wait to report an adult missing is a misconception. If it’s totally out of a character for a person (as it would have been in SM’s case) it’s good to report it early and they will actually get onto it.

I see some folks here are discussing the actions taken by police the day of her disappearance, so I thought I'd check PolAir's ADSB data on the Sunday to get a rough timeline.

View attachment 482842

Interesting that they searched near Buninyong first at 1618. This seems to suggest they may have had info on that ping by that stage?

Very interesting, thank you for sharing.

As someone linked on the previous page, police stated that the 24/48 wait to report an adult missing is a misconception. If it’s totally out of a character for a person (as it would have been in SM’s case) it’s good to report it early and they will actually get onto it.
Yes misconception about reporting missing person.
'The first 24 hours following a person's disappearance are the most crucial.
1707793004062.png
National Missing Persons Coordination Centre

After the case of Karen Ristevski came up in this thread, I’ve read up about it.

Don’t want to discuss the case here but so many things are eerily similar to SM’s case:

- Age and Location
- Went for walk/ run “storyline” (not saying it’s not true)
- Owns own business with husband
- Distraught adult daughter, composed husband

Last edited:

View attachment 482842

Hi eptio, great work

If I were a cynical and suspicious person, I might wonder if some unnamed person who was involved in her disappearance let the dogs out on purpose because they knew she wasn't coming back and didn't want to deal with 'her' pets anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove