Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #10

Status
Not open for further replies.

StillDiggin

Reaction score
desperate search continues for a mother-of-three who vanished without a trace after heading off on a 20km run during a heatwave.

Samantha Murphy, 51, was last seen leaving her home on Eureka Street in Ballarat East, about 100km northwest of Melbourne, at 7am on Sunday.

It's understood she was planning to run through the Canadian State Forest and was captured on CCTV wearing a brown singlet and black half-length leggings.

The mother-of-three has now been missing for almost 36 hours

Her 'upset and concerned' family hold grave concerns and described her disappearance as out of character.
1707124823535.jpeg

Thread #1 Thread #2 Thread #3 Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MrJ
IMPORTANT

Effective with the arrest in this case, sub judice is in effect and will be until a trial has concluded. For anyone not familiar with the judicial principle of sub judice, please review the following.

WS is based in the USA but we do try to manage the various discussions to comply with laws of other countries.

As this trial is in Australia, the case is under sub judice so please avoid anything that violates the following principles:

Basically anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any suggestion, opinion, or direct accusation that the accused is either guilty OR innocent
(i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer"; use "the accused", "the alleged killer", or "the defendant")
A defendant’s previous history of any offences is off limits
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges, lawyers, any officer of the Court) is off limits
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence is off limits
Any non compliance with an Order of the court is off limits

Note in the event of an Appeal subsequent to verdict:
Appeals are usually heard by senior judges who are not likely to be influenced by the media, therefore responsible comment is usually considered acceptable once a trial has concluded, regardless of if there is going to be an appeal.

Posts that are determined to constitute a violation of sub judice will be removed. To avoid this, please review the following from the Victoria Law Reform Commission and post accordingly:
10. Sub judice contempt: restricting the publication of prejudicial information

Please continue the discussion here.

The dam was just five kilometres away from the phone tower where her mobile last pinged.

"The physical properties of the phone will obviously be damaged but what's behind it, those ones and zeroes of data, will be retrievable," cybersecurity expert Nigel Phair told 9News.
"This is the game changer for the investigation."
The phone was found inside a wallet that held identification cards, which are also being treated as crucial pieces of evidence.

"Of all the waterways to explore they've chosen this one, I believe quite firmly, for a reason," criminologist Tim Watson-Munro told 9News.

Is this the same retired cop that usually says whatever it takes to get in the news all the time?
Yup @Whatson - him & XM have already *shared* their 'opinions'.
XM's stating the obvious & her use of the royal 'we' is OTT: Samantha Murphy: Phone discovered in search belonged to missing mum; bet anything Victoria LE are so deeply appreciative of XM's input:rolleyes:

*IF* the phone does belong to Samantha Murphy, the alleged perp just got another dumb-and-dumber tick from me.

Slowly, slowly catchy monkey, keep at it VIC LE, you'll get there.

MOO
Added more comments.

Last edited:
It's great that they found the phone and they may be able to get more evidence from it, but as the officer states, this looks to be an opportunistic toss from the road and may not have any relevance to where her body is located. (likely IMO). It does give me an indication of what the perpetrator thought was far enough away from him in terms of time and distance. The body might be in the same radius as well.

Yep.

The fact
that the phone was undamaged,
tossed into a dam which turns into a puddle
and is on PRIVATE property

tells me about the state of mind of the alleged perp at that time.

Any elaborate plans of concealment of the victim seem not realistic.
Provided he was operating alone.

Unfortunately,
the terrain is extensive
and full of places where concealment seems easy for an alleged perp.

JMO

Last edited:
Any elaborate plans of concealment of the victim seem not realistic.
Provided he was operating alone.

BBM - at this stage, I agree with this as well Dotta. I think he’s got lucky so far.

If this latest intel of phone location came via the accused, I’d say they’d have received some other solid intel via the same source, which they’re now putting into action.

Unless of course they’ve been able to find new digital evidence (ie Google map info from PS phone or maps from his cars gps).

Whatever the source, it very specifically led LE to this water body.

Just thinking, is there a way that a phone that has been submerged, which then becomes “un-submerged” can possibly send any type of signal? I would think not, but just wondered.

The phone may not lead to Sam I hope that it will but it does form an important part of the overall case it shows intent to cover up the crime so the excuse of a drug fuled bender or a psychotic episode as a defence won’t stand up he’s gone out of his way so to speak to dispose of the phone at a separate location.

Just thinking, is there a way that a phone that has been submerged, which then becomes “in-submerged” can possibly send any type of signal? I would think not, but just wondered.
Are you thinking that when the phone was no longer covered by water, it started sending signals again.
That is an idea.
I wonder if it's possible.
That would explain the interest in the area.

Perhaps the battery still had plenty of charge when it went under the water, then when it dried out a bit it still had charge and was able to resume sending out a signal.

IMO
The only "signal" that Police received about the phone seemed to be from an informant.

But who is this person?
It is anybody's guess ;)

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads