Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Buningyong H21 Bushland Reserve is not too far from Yendon No 2 Road where PS was living. IMO
Hypothetical only … Speculation …

I keep wondering if the alleged offender may have driven quite a distance to dispose of Sam’s body, given that allegedly the incident causing death happened at the 7km mark of her run…. So approx 8am ish …

Technically, he would have all day to drive and plan a location …. And return…

(I can’t remember how I would I think as a 22y/o :eek:)
but to me, it would make sense to take her as far away from the crime scene as possible …. And somewhere as remote as possible … and he had the means to do that …

Technically it was a Saturday …. So he could have camped out that night (driven further) without raising too much suspicion… (lots of young males go camping weekends with their utes in NQ … )

But the phone ping at 5pm rules that option out for me … I think the phone disposal in the dam was “on the way back” from wherever he has placed Sam’s body .. ??? Unless he waited for the cover of darkness to make the trip … but that would be a very anxious wait all day with a body in your Ute … IMO ….. But still possible if it was parked at Scotsburn all day .. where no one would suspect ….

Or would a 22y/o just panic and dispose of a body the first place he thought of … somewhere close ??? Like the bush areas already searched …
I think it will be an area he was familiar with …

Thoughts?

All IMO

And in a historic gold mining area, with thousands of derelict shafts, why would you bother? Over a hundred years ago, someone already did the digging for you.

MOO
JMO, but I think in a crime like this - stranger, no evidence of desperation - the killer already knew of a good place to conceal her remains. Otherwise, they wouldn't risk or bother to hide them.

JMO

I keep wondering if the alleged offender may have driven quite a distance to dispose of Sam’s body, given that allegedly the incident causing death happened at the 7km mark of her run…. So approx 8am ish …

but to me, it would make sense to take her as far away from the crime scene as possible …. And somewhere as remote as possible … and he had the means to do that …

Technically it was a Saturday …. So he could have camped out that night (driven further) without raising too much suspicion… (lots of young males go camping weekends with their utes in NQ … )

But the phone ping at 5pm rules that option out for me … I think the phone disposal in the dam was “on the way back” from wherever he has placed Sam’s body .. ??? Unless he waited for the cover of darkness to make the trip … but that would be a very anxious wait all day with a body in your Ute … IMO ….. But still possible if it was parked at Scotsburn all day .. where no one would suspect ….

Or would a 22y/o just panic and dispose of a body the first place he thought of … somewhere close ??? Like the bush areas already searched …

Thoughts?

All IMO
DBM

Thoughts?

All IMO
I don't think 5pm is a police-confirmed time for the last ping.

I would really like to know when he was next seen by family or friends.

Some of the articles said that there were cards in the wallet.
None said there were credit cards.

What if this began as a robbery.
“But Seven News reported on Thursday night that husband Mick Murphy had confirmed to it that his wife’s iPhone, credit cards and licence had been discovered in the mud at the small dam.”

If the phone landed in the water via the accused, maybe he just thought that throwing it in the dam was a good way of making sure it would never be found… (clearly he’s not a websleuther) but then why not remove the cards first and destroy them? This really gets me. Throwing it in the dam just seems reckless and so not thought through. It also feels very uncaring or dismissive in a way… as if Sam (and her possessions) were worth nothing. And yes I realise killing someone is also very uncaring LOL!

Perhaps, as said previously, he has turned up there to find it again and try to destroy it and that’s what eventually gave him away.

Perhaps someone else assisted him in getting rid of the evidence… again picking up a 75kg woman (a dead weight) would be a challenge for one person. (although fear has a way of bringing on superhuman strength).

What were the water levels at this dam in February? Were they a lot higher than they are now? Lower? About the same?

In February, you'd need a pick and a shovel. You could shift dirt around and kick pebbles over, but to actually break Australian February soil, and we are presuming it's untilled soil, not ground already tilled and ripped etc.. bush soil, it's a back breaking sweating venture. You'd need hours. Lots of water. Really good boots. Gloves, hopefully. Realistically, you'd need a mechanical post hole digger to start you off...

A shallow grave would already have been exposed, wind, rain, dogs, whatnot... it has to be deep.
So it would have been backbreaking work by this description…. Also we must not forget that it was an inordinately hot day…. I don’t like the chances of PS attempting to dig a hole during the day in these extreme circumstances…. Which raises the question yet again of what was PS doing during the day? How long between the murder and the disposal of the body? Did he take the body to dispose of in a mineshaft? Or a body of water? Given the temperature a body of water would make more sense…. But then how to do that practically in such a way as the body would not be recovered….?

A deep body of water with an easy “tip off” point? A bridge? Perhaps with the assistance of a trolley? Out of sight? A secluded quiet area. Anyone local have any ideas?

Last edited:
I keep wondering if the alleged offender may have driven quite a distance to dispose of Sam’s body, given that allegedly the incident causing death happened at the 7km mark of her run…. So approx 8am ish … Technically it was a Saturday …. So he could have camped out that night (driven further) without raising too much suspicion… (lots of young males go camping weekends with their utes in NQ … )
But the phone ping at 5pm rules that option out for me … I think the phone disposal in the dam was “on the way back” from wherever he has placed Sam’s body ..
RSBM. What car did the accused drive? Many modern utes have telematic systems installed. Telematics systems use GPS technology and various sensors to collect and transmit data about the vehicle’s location, movement and other driving behaviours. It's possible to pinpoint the exact location of the ute in real-time or review its historical movements. You can see where the vehicle has been, its route, and any stops it made. The system logs time stamps for each recorded data point, allowing you to determine when the ute was at specific locations. This can help create a timeline of the vehicle's movements. Hilux, Navara and Ranger come with telematic features.

Thoughts?

All IMO
Perhaps he'd had an exhausting day . . . driven a fair way north and managed the body, and only wanted to get rid of the phone in the opposite direction, but when he saw the dam driving south it was too tempting to go any farther.

If the phone landed in the water via the accused, maybe he just thought that throwing it in the dam was a good way of making sure it would never be found… (clearly he’s not a websleuther) but then why not remove the cards first and destroy them? This really gets me. Throwing it in the dam just seems reckless and so not thought through. It also feels very uncaring or dismissive in a way… as if Sam (and her possessions) were worth nothing. And yes I realise killing someone is also very uncaring LOL!

Perhaps, as said previously, he has turned up there to find it again and try to destroy it and that’s what eventually gave him away.

Perhaps someone else assisted him in getting rid of the evidence… again picking up a 75kg woman (a dead weight) would be a challenge for one person. (although fear has a way of bringing on superhuman strength).

What were the water levels at this dam in February? Were they a lot higher than they are now? Lower? About the same?
It's believed water levels in the dam have receded over the past few months. I'm still of the belief that she is in a body of water, but not the same one the phone was found in. The news article shows a great aerial shot that shows the water well below where it was.

"It may have stayed there, under water and beyond discovery, if Victoria’s Western District had not experienced a relatively dry period. The dam’s water level has receded over the months. The phone was found lodged in mud near the water’s edge."

Is it just me, or are others also struggling to grasp how it would be possible to be transport a deceased body easily in that kind of vehicle? If indeed that kind of vehicle was involved…? Which of course we don’t know…. :rolleyes: :oops:

I cannot help but wonder if some other party and/or vehicle and/or location was involved in the concealment and/or transportation of the body…. Independent of the “deliberate act” of murder I mean…

JMO MOO

Last edited:
It does seem strange they waited so long to search the area the home owner said a month after Sam disappeared they asked for permission to do a line search , could they have been waiting that long for the tech dog perhaps? Seems like a long time to leave potential evidence
It has been reported, on A Current Affair, that the property has been attended by police multiple times before her phone and anything else was found.
The police must have an interest with this property and possibly have been watching it for a while, maybe they have seen activity near the dam, on top of the information they have received

Last edited:
Is it just me, or are others also struggling to grasp how it would be possible to be transport a deceased body easily in that kind of vehicle? If indeed that kind of vehicle was involved…? Which of course we don’t know…. :rolleyes: :oops:

I cannot help but wonder if some other party and/or vehicle was involved in the concealment and/or transportation of the body….

JMO MOO
In the back, in the canopy section, if it was clear and fairly empty … it would be fairly easy IMO ….

However, much more difficult if that area was full of tools etc … IMO

Worst case scenario … lying on the back seat as a dual cab … covered with something ???

MOO

It has been reported, on A Current Affair, that the property has been searched seven times before her phone and anything else was found.
The police must have an interest with this property and possibly have been watching it for a while, maybe they have seen activity near the dam, on top of the information they have received
Is that on ACA tonight or a previous episode ???
Or do you have a link to that segment please ??? That is very interesting information ….
TIA

It has been reported, on A Current Affair, that the property has been searched seven times before her phone and anything else was found.
I heard "have been to this property multiple times", but not "seven times". Was it this broadcast?

Thoughts?

All IMO
Not sure what you mean by technically a Saturday? Is that because the accused didn't sleep and was still partying from Saturday? It's alleged Samantha was murdered at around 8am on Sunday morning.

I don't know if I'd be travelling too far out of an area I'm quite familiar with to dispose of a body if it were me. Far too much in the way of possible CCTV and digital footprints, especially if you need your sat nav to get you home again from some random spot. Not to mention potential witnesses who saw your car. The area, which I think the accused knew well due to his outdoor lifestyle, potential for hiding from police on the back roads after benders, and growing up there, is littered with dense bushland areas and bodies of water. Plenty of locations to dump a body, including the good old mine shafts. It's like searching for a needle in a haystack,and I think he just got lucky so far. Or unlucky, whatever you want to call it given he is now in remand.

My theory is this: What started out as an accident or altercation turned to murder, likely by an instant decision fuelled by drink, drugs and/or anger, and the fear of this destroying his life, especially as he'd come across the radar of police before (his pending motor vehicle case). He probably had alcohol and drugs in his system and panicked, because that could be the nail in his coffin. Fighting one drink/drugs/reckless driving charge, OK. Fighting two, where someone possibly could have died, game over. Then the "Oh &^$#" moment. He either finds a way to dispose of her body very close to where she died, or gets her out of sight and into his vehicle, and madly thinks of what to do next. May even drive around areas he knows well, looking and thinking as he goes. Perhaps he drove through or disposed of her body in the Elsworth Street area that police became interested in.

At some point, knowing time was ticking with a body in the back, and possibly having to account for his whereabouts, he chooses a location. My money is on a body of water somewhere relatively nearby. No weighing her down, just tossing/dragging and hoping for the best, much like the phone. Job done, he goes home to shower, change, maybe sleep, try to go on like normal, or meet his obligations that day. Perhaps he took her ear buds, phone and watch, or a combination of these and worried about what to do with those small objects later. Maybe Samantha had her phone out and it was the only thing that was flung from her body during the murder.

After some careful thinking, and/or at a time that suited him better, he took the phone and threw it into a nice large nearby dam on his travels somewhere, or just a random dam he knew about. Perhaps other nearby dams may hold earbuds, a watch and a murder weapon? Everything disposed of in his mind, and he went about his daily life until cops got him and here we are.

All my imagination and thoughts only.

I cannot help but wonder if some other party and/or vehicle and/or location was involved in the concealment and/or transportation of the body…. Independent of the “deliberate act” of murder I mean…
This is just my opinion …..

I still think his vehicle is involved in Sam’s death as the initial contact with Sam, despite the murder charge …. Which I think involves what happened next …. Or rather what he didn’t do (call 000 etc) or he aimed the vehicle and drove at her ???

However I don’t think theory this is popular opinion, and possibly I am too naive ???

IMO

Not sure what you mean by technically a Saturday? Is that because the accused didn't sleep and was still partying from Saturday? It's alleged Samantha was murdered at around 8am on Sunday morning.
That part is my error … I was thinking it was Saturday … I should have checked the date instead of relying on memory …. (I had the night out with friends as the Friday night in my head … )
Apologies for that …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members