Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Violence against women, and why it occurs is such a multi-faceted issue, which requires a multi-pronged approach IMO.

I stumbled upon an interesting BBC radio programme this week and the topic it got me wondering.

A year ago, primary school parents' association group combined with the head teachers of all primary schools in Greystones, areland, invited parents to sign a voluntary pact not to buy a smartphone for their child before they moved up to secondary school. (Usually age 12 in Ireland.)

This initiative resulted from concerns about stress and depression levels of students and teachers.

The documentary examines the results of the initiative.

I found the comments from a male assistant head-teacher particularly interesting (if somewhat alarming.) He is passionately demanding a culture change around phone use for older students too, warning parents that although they think they are giving their children access to the internet, they are really giving the internet access to their children.

He claimed (paraphrasing) that a serious problem with violence against women has arisen due to young children having access to *advertiser censored*. Many young girls believe that it's quite normal/OK for women to be slapped and treated disrespectfully, and so do the male pupils.

I'm interested to know what fellow Websleuthers believe regarding exposure to *advertiser censored* for young children - whether beliefs which they resultantly form have been/could be a factor in the perpetration and acceptance of violence against women.

TIA for your views.

Violence towards women,
abuse and contempt had
existed looooong before smartphones or Internet appeared.

At least now
Societes try to fight and prevent this violence.

I always thought and still think that
respect towards others,
not only women,
but towards everyone
and NATURE in general sense
is taught at home from the earliest age
and parents are helped by schools' positive role models and preventive/educational programmes.

Let's not make technology a scapegoat for parents/guardians who fail.

Parents/guardians
should wisely control their children's online activity.

First of all - together with a child,
they should establish the rules for using the Internet and adjust them to the child's age.

And create conditions
in which children will not be afraid to say that something worries them -
without the risk of being judged or punished.

And let's not forget
that family members are the first role models for children.

They learn by copying behaviour of their elders.

So,
one should practice what one preaches in front of a child.

And always
talk to your child
explain things
and help.

Rinse and repeat :)

JMO

Last edited:
I'm interested to know what fellow Websleuthers believe regarding exposure to *advertiser censored* for young children - whether beliefs which they resultantly form have been/could be a factor in the perpetration and acceptance of violence against women.
Absolutely 100%. Kids can’t typically tell the difference between what’s fantasy & what’s reality, and can feel scared & confused viewing it when they interpret what they’re viewing as aggressive and violent (ie the female is being harmed). They can enact what they see on other kids, and get the impression that females enjoy being treated roughly. It’s often said that it’s not if your child will view it, but when, and the typical age is young (maybe 11?). It definitely and significantly contributes to the prevalence and normalisation of violence in general, and most especially to gendered violence.

Last edited:
"The phone was obviously the interesting one because the assumption was that the body would have been in that lake, near where they found it”.

I think it’s interesting that there’s thought that the body could have been in the same dam as the phone. Wouldn’t that have been obvious given the exposed site and as per our recent discussion about what happens to a body in water?

Did the police attend the dam on 29/05 due to being told there was an object on the bank, or that something was seen being thrown out of a car window, or due to it always being a site of interest and the water now receding? Did the divers come in due to the phone being sighted or were they coming anyway?

131 days now, since Sam went missing.

'There aren't many people around, so it was always going to be a challenge when there are such large areas that could potentially be of forensic interest to the police.'

'It's what we would class as ambiguous loss, and in essence, there's always the hope that because no remains have been found, one day, that person will walk through the door.'

Dr Mallett added it was 'impossible to give up on that hope for most people, until there's a final, albeit devastating conclusion and remains are found.'

131 days now, since Sam went missing.

'There aren't many people around, so it was always going to be a challenge when there are such large areas that could potentially be of forensic interest to the police.'

'It's what we would class as ambiguous loss, and in essence, there's always the hope that because no remains have been found, one day, that person will walk through the door.'

Dr Mallett added it was 'impossible to give up on that hope for most people, until there's a final, albeit devastating conclusion and remains are found.'

It looks like it was made sure that Sam was never to be found ( hopefully that is not the case ) compared to the flimsy way to dump her phone on the bank of a dam complete with all her cards, ID etc... Knowing that it will be easily found

It looks like it was made sure that Sam was never to be found ( hopefully that is not the case ) compared to the flimsy way to dump her phone on the bank of a dam complete with all her cards, ID etc... Knowing that it will be easily found
Makes you wonder if she was in fact taken out of the area and perhaps by a second party after her phone and watch were removed.

Makes you wonder if she was in fact taken out of the area and perhaps by a second party after her phone and watch were removed.
Maybe she never ran OR not at that time, possibly earlier ? Maybe she was killed before 7am ? Maybe the accused murderer or someone else did that run path, who had her phone and watch and that's why it took 1 hour to get to Mt Clear in a 7 km run to make out that Sam was running there, compared to Sam being a regular runner and should be able to do that distance in around 26 mins, especially when she was training for a run. There is no CCTV of Sam entering the bush or actually running, given to the media. A lot of things don't add up

Maybe she never ran OR not at that time, possibly earlier ? Maybe she was killed before 7am ? Maybe the accused murderer or someone else did that run path, who had her phone and watch and that's why it took 1 hour to get to Mt Clear in a 7 km run to make out that Sam was running there, compared to Sam being a regular runner and should be able to do that distance in around 26 mins, especially when she was training for a run. There is no CCTV of Sam entering the bush or actually running, given to the media. A lot of things don't add up
I do remember a while back on this thread it was mentioned it was a run but she did often walked parts of her run (I think her family or friend mentioned this..) she had cov a month or so earlier and was "getting back into running" and training for an upcoming running event, that my be not entirely true however I'm sure if LE had access to cloud data and now her phone (given it has retrievable info) they hopefully have a very clear idea of her movements that day including any stops or detours, this should include heart rate activity comparison as well to hopefully rule out if it was someone that was not SM jogging that day based on tech data.
A valid theory all in all and I appreciate that.
I wonder if we'll ever find out a truthful account of what really happened that day, at the very least her family does.

Ok so that is weird.
According to her mobile phone data, Sam left home at 7am, travelled 7kms in 1 hour, and reached Mt Clear at 8am. (Article 1)
That’s walking time, not straight jogging or running time. Unless she kept stopping or went very very slow.
Sam told her family she was going for a 20k run. (Article 2). Did she walk to Mt Clear to warm up?
Did she have company on that stretch? Why did it take so long?

“Police allege Stephenson 'deliberately attacked' Ms Murphy in Mount Clear, about 7km into her run on a route she had done 'countless' times.”

1. Samantha Murphy: timeline of the investigation into alleged murder of Ballarat woman

2. Samantha Murphy: a timeline of the alleged murder investigation

Last edited:
Ok so that is weird.
According to her mobile phone data, Sam left home at 7am, travelled 7kms in 1 hour, and reached Mt Clear at 8am. (Article 1)
That’s walking time, not straight jogging or running time. Unless she kept stopping or went very very slow.
Sam told her family she was going for a 20k run. (Article 2). Did she walk to Mt Clear to warm up?
Did she have company on that stretch? Why did it take so long?

1. Samantha Murphy: timeline of the investigation into alleged murder of Ballarat woman

2. Samantha Murphy: a timeline of the alleged murder investigation
She had to make a loop. We don't know how big the loop was, or what part of Mt Clear they have in mind. But she could have travelled a lot more than 7km before reaching that place. I suggest she was on her way back.

Also, from memory, what police said was that she'd met her catastrophe "by 8am", which could mean somewhat earlier.

She had to make a loop. We don't know how big the loop was, or what part of Mt Clear they have in mind. But she could have travelled a lot more than 7km before reaching that place. I suggest she was on her way back.

Also, from memory, what police said was that she'd met her catastrophe "by 8am", which could mean somewhat earlier.
She was going for a 14km run, 7km was the turnaround in Mt Clear when this sudden change in her heart rate took place, the police said she left shortly at 7am got to my Clear at 8am ( 7km ) , one hour to do that run

I have no doubt that he scattered the evidence. I think that just about everyone scatters the evidence, after they have committed a murder.

imo
The fact that all her cards were still in the phone wallet intact, indicates to me, the phone wallet could have been placed there instead of being thrown from a vehicle, and it was located at the edge of the dam.
Knowing that the water will become low and any other evidence that could be hers will be eventually found, including any irrigation being done
There was no care in hiding her phone, when there are so many other ways to have got rid of it for good

According to reports Sam travelled 7kms and was attacked at Mt Clear. The distance from her home to Mt Clear through the bush is about 7kms. If she looped she wouldn’t have reached Mt Clear. Police state she reached Mt Clear at 8am and that’s when her phone data showed that something happened.

Sam must have been walking to take an hour to do the trip between her home and Mt Clear.

“Police allege Stephenson 'deliberately attacked' Ms Murphy in Mount Clear, about 7km into her run on a route she had done 'countless' times.”

Last edited:
This was around the time that (we now know) the police started looking at PS. Just over 2 weeks after Sam disappeared.

We have identified that Samantha did leave home ..... at just after 7am.
We believe that she then travelled on foot into the Canadian State forest where she embarked on a run for a period of time and made her way to the Mt Clear area.
The intelligence that we have received from our phone data led us to this area.
We have ruled out that she suffered any kind of medical episode.
We have no information that she left the area of her own accord.
Approximately an hour after she left home she reached the Mt Clear area.
There is a distance of approximately 7km from her home to the Mt Clear area.
We have no intelligence that there is a risk to anyone else.
There has been various sightings of various people (in the area).

Police presser - 22nd February 2024

According to reports Sam travelled 7kms and was attacked at Mt Clear. The distance from her home to Mt Clear through the bush is about 7kms. If she looped she wouldn’t have reached Mt Clear. Police state she reached Mt Clear at 8am and that’s when her phone data showed that something happened.
Sam must have been walking to take an hour to do the trip between her home and Mt Clear.

Or as my previous post. Possibilities, She has either done a run earlier, come back at 7am, something has happened to her then and someone has done that supposedly run (to make out Sam has done it) wearing her watch and phone and its taken either the accused murder an hour to get there or someone else, who is not a runner.
Just another scenario to think about. As there is basically no CCTV footage released to the media, except a still image, and a lot of things don't add up.
But the police will be keeping everything close to their chests

This was around the time that (we now know) the police started looking at PS. Just over 2 weeks after Sam disappeared.

We have identified that Samantha did leave home ..... at just after 7am.
We believe that she then travelled on foot into the Canadian State forest where she embarked on a run for a period of time and made her way to the Mt Clear area.
The intelligence that we have received from our phone data led us to this area.
We have ruled out that she suffered any kind of medical episode.
We have no information that she left the area of her own accord.
Approximately an hour after she left home she reached the Mt Clear area.
There is a distance of approximately 7km from her home to the Mt Clear area.
We have no intelligence that there is a risk to anyone else.
There has been various sightings of various people (in the area).

Police presser - 22nd February 2024

The SOS function of Murphy's Apple Watch, which she was wearing on her run, was not activated. GPS analysis showed that she had run 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) through Woowookarung Regional Park to Mount Clear, at which point there may have been an "anomaly" or "disturbance" in the GPS data.

I think she could have looped. It is only 6km from her home to Mt Clear phone tower, where the police were photographed.

a.jpg

Google maps

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024