Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last edited by a moderator:
The DM link I posted
is HeraldSun ( behind paywall) word for word.
(DM usually reprints its content after a few days)

I'm not sure, but it seems reliable, no?
<modsnip - unnecessary>

The HS article actually says that it is understood that none of PS' family or friends were in court. It doesn't say anything at all about them not being on a video link.

Family of Mr Stephenson as well as loved ones of Ms Murphy tuned in online to listen to the hearing.
As per this: Court hearings for man accused of murdering Samantha Murphy delayed due to 'huge' evidence brief

Have seen that stated elsewhere, but have also seen that Mick didn’t attend or watch. He was at home doing chores.

Mick is quoted in the HS as saying to the media that he was told prior to the hearing that it was solely an administration day, that no new news or new hope would come out of it. So he spent his day trying not to overthink the case. He was seen driving by the court though.

paraphrased from ...

ABC is pretty firm about who tuned in and whatnot...

Ms Murphy had left her Ballarat East home for a morning run on February 4 and was reported missing after she failed to return home.

Her body has never been found despite several police and community searches.

Family of Mr Stephenson as well as loved ones of Ms Murphy tuned in online to listen to the hearing.

(Mr Stephenson appeared by ZOOM, not in person, not a lot of point in anyone of his family actually turning up to watch what could be watched from a provided link at home., The court in Ballarat certainly would not appreciate the extra difficulty in security, either, which is one of the reasons why ZOOM is used) .

Of course it didn't. It was a mention. Antoinette at the DM suggested it could answer "the biggest questions", possibly because she thought it was the committal hearing. Or, she could be in training under a certain other DM star, learning how to turn nothing into something.
Extraordinarily ill-informed, what on earth was her editor thinking? To suggest that any questions, big or small about the crime itself would be bought up at a Summary is the height of idiocy. You'd think they would delegate someone attuned to court procedure to report on this stuff.

Last edited:
Surely that would have been a huge risk to take? But I guess once you have killed somebody and you have a body to dispose of, anything you do involves huge risk.
Yes, it would have been a very risky move.

My thoughts on this are purely speculative. I've been pondering a great deal on where Samantha's remains could possibly be. Part of the reason for my considering the possibility of her remains being left in an air conditioned area, was due to heat on that day.
The temperature in Ballarat reached a maximum of 36.3 degrees Celsius (97.34 degrees Fahrenheit) at 12.50 pm on
4 February 2024, the day of Samantha's disappearance.

Hot weather had been forecast, and IMO the accused would have realised that if Samantha's remains were left outside for any length of time, a resultant odour would quickly become evident, and the jig could very well be up.

IF my scenario did indeed occur, it may have been because the accused considered it to be the lesser of two evils. Leave her remains outside somewhere and risk a random person finding them after looking for the source of the odour, or secrete the remains in an air-conditioned environment, where he could anticipate the comings and goings (or lack thereof) of particular people.
Of course there are likely to be other air-conditioned locations which would also be suitable, to which he also had access.

All JMO - entirely speculative.

Last edited:
Yes, it would have been a very risky move.

My thoughts on this are purely speculative. I've been pondering a great deal on where Samantha's remains could possibly be. Part of the reason for my considering the possibility of her remains being left in an air conditioned area, was due to heat on that day.
The temperature in Ballarat reached a maximum of 36.3 degrees Celsius (97.34 degrees Fahrenheit) at 12.50 pm on
4 February 2024, the day of Samantha's disappearance.

Hot weather had been forecast, and IMO the accused would have realised that if Samantha's remains were left outside for any length of time, a resultant odour would quickly become evident, and the jig could very well be up.

IF my scenario did indeed occur, it may have been because the accused considered it to be the lesser of two evils. Leave her remains outside somewhere and risk a random person finding them after looking for the source of the odour, or secrete the remains in an air-conditioned environment, where he could anticipate the comings and goings (or lack thereof) of particular people.
Of course there are likely to be other air-conditioned locations which would also be suitable, to which he also had access.

All JMO - entirely speculative.
I wonder and speculate he was on their radar before the under investigation tv show and that was engineered to provoke a reaction from him or a loved one

The proof of murder is there
The police still need to find her

I wonder and speculate he was on their radar before the under investigation tv show and that was engineered to provoke a reaction from him or a loved one

Well, the Under Investigation show was on 28th Feb.
PS was arrested on 6th March.
PS was said to be on the police radar about two weeks prior to the arrest, so that would fit. It is possible that details in the show were police-engineered.

As per this link, it was stated that in the Greg Lynn case (murder of Carol Clay and Russell Hill) the police used the 60 Minutes show about them to reveal the CCTV of Greg Lynn's vehicle. Then a couple of days later Greg Lynn removed the conspicuous awning from his vehicle. During the trial, we also heard about police recordings of Lynn and his wife watching the show.

Hard to resist such an invitation. :cool: Commander Patten was unequivocal in his statement that Stephenson had refused to speak to police, on any matter. He repeated this a few times in updates, that nothing had changed in that regard, no speaking, at all. While I am not discounting the idea of perhaps a confession in sign language, Patten , I am sure , would have categorised that as communication. But he was adamant. No communication came from Stephenson.. .

As to the waiting to pick him up, it is possible that VICPOL hoped he would return to where he had the body. This is not a useless hope, many killers do exactly that, shift it around, remove it to a new site, etc, it seems a rational thing to do, do you think? Also, perhaps they watched him to see who his peers were and what part they played, if any, in this crime, and since no one else has been arrested, maybe it's fair to say no one else was...... But at some point, a decision was made to pick him up, maybe he rang a travel agent, or booked a place far away, something like that, that provoked a sudden move by VICPOL to bring him in . ....
Ah - thanks, Trooper, for putting me straight :) The perils of playing catchup, when much has been removed, fallen out of date or fallen prey to the streaming platforms' being extraordinarily picky about our (UK) GDPR. I had understood that PS was now reticent and unhelpful at this stage but not that he had taken a vow of silence. I'm going to award your comments re sign language the attention they deserve LOL.

Still confounded over the categorical statements by LE with nothing public to back them up but I agree with the possibility that they were allowing a known killer freedom to lead them to the body. I just wish it had worked. I find it hard to believe that they would be using such apparent certainty as a mask but have to agree with a previous commenter on that score because they obviously don't have enough to convict, without the addition of an apparent mountain of possible CCTV evidence. Frustrated that August 8th brought nothing but a continuance but I guess patience is the order of the day/year.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back