Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just re-reading some of the earlier articles and reminded of the damaged vehicle announcement which I think was pointed.
It’s all so quick and it feels like it flipped quickly. Within just a month, the story moved from not suspicious, to biometric data showing that something happened abruptly at the 7k mark, to now looking suspicious and not hopeful that Sam’s alive, advising of a damaged vehicle being important, the UI show airing on 28th Feb and a week later the arrest.

I’m suspecting that the “damaged vehicle sighted in the area” will become significant in time. It may have started off as anecdotal but was then spotted across cctv.

4th Feb. Sam disappears.

23rd Feb. Detective Acting Superintendent Mark Hatt says, “Unfortunately, given the time and the fact we've found no trace of her, we do have severe concerns and there’s no evidence Ms Murphy left the area of her own accord and we’re very doubtful that she's still alive”.

“Police analysis of GPS and biometric data from those devices suggests she only completed 7km of her planned 15km route.
At that point, her digital trail appears to have ended abruptly.”

“A new clue has emerged: the possible sighting of a damaged vehicle in the area, alluded to by police in a recent statement.”

10 days later

7th March
Stephenson is charged with one count of murder.

Just re-reading some of the earlier articles and reminded of the damaged vehicle announcement which I think was pointed.
It’s all so quick and it feels like it flipped quickly. Within just a month, the story moved from not suspicious, to biometric data showing that something happened abruptly at the 7k mark, to now looking suspicious and not hopeful that Sam’s alive, advising of a damaged vehicle being important, the UI show airing on 28th Feb and a week later the arrest.

I’m suspecting that the “damaged vehicle sighted in the area” will become significant in time. It may have started off as anecdotal but was then spotted across cctv.

4th Feb. Sam disappears.

23rd Feb. Detective Acting Superintendent Mark Hatt says, “Unfortunately, given the time and the fact we've found no trace of her, we do have severe concerns and there’s no evidence Ms Murphy left the area of her own accord and we’re very doubtful that she's still alive”.

“Police analysis of GPS and biometric data from those devices suggests she only completed 7km of her planned 15km route.
At that point, her digital trail appears to have ended abruptly.”

“A new clue has emerged: the possible sighting of a damaged vehicle in the area, alluded to by police in a recent statement.”

10 days later

7th March
Stephenson is charged with one count of murder.

So,
does the "damaged vehicle" allude to the victim hit by a car?

But intentional hit.
Because the charge is not
"Hit&Run", but Murder.

Or is the car damage not connected to the victim?

Didn't Police collect tree sap from the alleged crime scene?

Interesting...

JMO

Nobody knows.
Defence lawyers run away from MSM Media :rolleyes:
No info whatsoever.

JMO
Defence lawyers are not allowed to make stuff up out of thin air to appease the press. The defendant has maintained a regime of total silence, which means, his defence lawyers have nothing to say, to the press at this time. They cannot speak for him if he himself has not spoken, this is such a simple conclusion to reach.

Anyone could grasp that.

To misrepresent a client is the height of malpractice for a Barrister. It is unthinkable that a barrister would do that publicly, at a press scrum, for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

It is also unthinkable that refusing to engage with the press when the client has not instructed him/her to do so is labelled 'running away'. It is not the job of Barristers to regale the press with information that is court business, when the trial is yonks away from beginning.

To opine that 'running away from the media' is a position that a Barrister holds is to display a complete misunderstanding of the entire process of judicial operation in Australia from go to whoa.

His lawyers have publicly stated that the charges are being contested in prior news articles I have read. He has not plead in court yet as others on this forum have pointed out.
I’m really surprised to hear that as I haven’t seen that stated or implied anywhere australianws. PS has been a total shut shop and we’ve heard nothing in the way of the defences direction or a plea. I’d love to see where that’s stated if you can find it again.

IMPORTANT

Effective with the arrest in this case, sub judice is in effect and will be until a trial has concluded. For anyone not familiar with the judicial principle of sub judice, please review the following.

WS is based in the USA but we do try to manage the various discussions to comply with laws of other countries.

As this trial is in Australia, the case is under sub judice so please avoid anything that violates the following principles:

Basically anything that may prejudice the accused’s right to a fair trial
Any suggestion, opinion, or direct accusation that the accused is either guilty OR innocent
(i.e. the accused cannot be called "the killer"; use "the accused", "the alleged killer", or "the defendant")
A defendant’s previous history of any offences is off limits
Scandalizing the court (disparaging judges, lawyers, any officer of the Court) is off limits
Broadcasting anything about proceedings which happen in the jury's absence is off limits
Any non compliance with an Order of the court is off limits

Note in the event of an Appeal subsequent to verdict:
Appeals are usually heard by senior judges who are not likely to be influenced by the media, therefore responsible comment is usually considered acceptable once a trial has concluded, regardless of if there is going to be an appeal.

Posts that are determined to constitute a violation of sub judice will be removed. To avoid this, please review the following from the Victoria Law Reform Commission and post accordingly:
10. Sub judice contempt: restricting the publication of prejudicial information

Many posts have been removed. First - linking a case not known 100% to be this person. Second - even if it IS the same person, discussion is excluded BY THE COURT.

I'm sure we have been through this before.

In my state, they word it like this ...

You can apply for legal aid directly to us, or if you wish to be represented by a particular private lawyer, through that person's office. Where possible, we will grant that request. Link

In other words, you can approach the lawyer of your choice. If they are agreeable, they apply for Legal Aid on your behalf to pay their bills (at the Legal Aid rate).

Yes, we don't yet know if it is a given, but I am not seeing how an apprentice electrician can pay a barrister's bills. He is an adult who is responsible for his own bills. And if he can get Legal Aid, why wouldn't he?
Is he an apprentice or a qualified electrician/data cabler?

This is an example of a VicPol charge sheet. Perhaps the "Details of the Charge" is more than the prosecution/police (and/or the defence) want the media/public to see at the moment.

a.jpg

A charge-sheet is a form used and issued by Victoria Police in criminal matters. The purpose of a charge-sheet is to notify a person of criminal charges being issued against them.
What to do when served with a charge sheet

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties