Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a fallacy.
And, yes, there were concerns for her safety. Sam was not answering her phone (which apparently she always answered), she was late home, she was due to attend a brunch.

You can report someone as missing at any time. There is no time limit or period to wait.

My understanding is they don’t hit the media same day unless there are health issues or a minor. Is that the case?

Where was the last ping?

The same arc passes through the front of the house where ROS was arrested.
Hi @australianwebsleuth,
Thank you for your posts, I'm appreciating them.
I do however have a question, who/what is ROS - please?
According to all information (that I've read thus far) the accused's Christian name starts with P - his full name abbreviated is a very fitting acronym - however - WS spam filter deletes it - which is very boring cause (imo) the majority of us would love to use it when referring to him - he fits it to a T.
TVM & cheers,
Mig/MOO

My understanding is they don’t hit the media same day unless there are health issues or a minor. Is that the case?

There were safety concerns, which I stated above.
The police don't just shrug off a woman who went missing from a run and say "let's just wait until tomorrow and see if she shows up".
As others have said, there is always a risk of snake bite when running in a rural area like that. Let alone a fall that could have seriously hurt her. It was going to be a VERY hot day (36/37 IIRC), they couldn't just leave Sam laying out there.

imo

The police don't just shrug off a woman who went missing from a run and say "let's just wait until tomorrow and see if she shows up".
As others have said, there is always a risk of snake bite when running in a rural area like that. Let alone a fall that could have seriously hurt her. It was going to be a VERY hot day, they couldn't just leave Sam laying out there.

imo
I think the expected temperature that day also factored in to the quick response too IMO

I don't insist on the word loop, but I was thinking more of a circle than a straight line out and back. It hadn't occurred to me to consider different east-west options as in your map. It was more that I wondered how far south she went, and if she was attacked at her farthest point south or while coming back.
Is there a point where it is more challenging? Perhaps he chose that part to attack her, when she was fatigued.

Last edited:
As others have said, there is always a risk of snake bite when running in a rural area like that. Let alone a fall that could have seriously hurt her. It was going to be a VERY hot day (36/37 IIRC), they couldn't just leave Sam laying out there.

imo
Absolutely and if it were my loved ones, I’d want a quick response. I was curious as I’ve read in other posts there was a belief that the panic button was hit fairly quickly which raised suspicion. Just playing devils advocate. I was impressed by the speed of the Police involvement as it should be a given the risk of snakebite and mineshafts in the area.

What does that look like in the data? Apple phones only appear to have the fall detection monitor, and not a consistent heart rate monitor or ‘radical change to vital signs’ monitor. Early on they seemed clear-ish that intel showed Sam’s well-being changed dramatically around Mt Clear. What could have told them that from phone or whatever data? Did they have such data straight up too?
Metal torch? Wasn’t there a torch found at the dam? I didn’t see the pic but wondered if it was a magnalite torch (I think that’s the brand).

I think that’s half the problem, parents just don’t care, it’s easier to have them on screens doing whatever in order to keep them occupied. We are very strict with our kids and their screens but know of many parents that are a lot looser. One of my sons school peers had access to p**n in year 3, or so he boasted.
Kids will find a way. Witnessed this often in Primary School. Lots of examples of parental double standards.

Moo .many mixes of couples now a days, most couples.. there is one dominant partner..could be male could be female.... Problem with domestic is they share living space.
Do not think random attacks have changed much. Just more people n access to news of violence. Getting a smack across face n such was pretty normal from my life as older person.. physical violence was just part of life...moo
Very sad but true.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

But I have been wondering what the tool is in the male police officer's hand. I wish I knew what equipment they use in forensic investigations.

View attachment 510485

In the early days the family said she was just getting back into running after her New Year covid
And she could have been taking it easy, more of a leisurely run in her routine on that day. I don’t think the time matters, really, what’s 10-20 minutes? Something else was going on.

Metal torch? Wasn’t there a torch found at the dam? I didn’t see the pic but wondered if it was a magnalite torch (I think that’s the brand).
Weapon was a torch are you suggesting?

Just say it was a torch and that torch was located under the blackberry bushes at the dam. Why would it be discarded with the phone or hidden in the same place as the phone? Do magnalite or metal torches float?

Alternatively did he actually turn the phone on before he threw it in the water creating the ping?

Did the phone get deliberately turned on at the dam in order to wet the active circuit and create more damage?​

“What kills a wet phone is electricity, said Gary Tan with DE iPhone repair, a San Francisco-based company that offers multiple sites for smart phone repair and drying.
Do not charge it. Do not plug it in to see if it works. If it’s on, electricity will flow, it will touch the water that’s inside and that’s when your fry the (circuit) board.”

If they have a still photo of her from CCTV, they must have more. As I have said, that still photo has Sam walking up the driveway and not going down, so she has either gone for a run earlier than 7am, and she is coming home from that run, looks like the police will not release anymore, and that's

I think if a member of the public has come forward to speak to the media, the media won't print what they have to say. Because of sub judice. It is up to the media to honour sub judice.

But once the trial is over (if he goes to trial), we will hear all kinds of things. Because the media are then free to print all the info they have been gathering. Unless the court has permanently suppressed something.

imo
Unfortunately by then there will be an equally horrific case and the media would have moved on. Not too many interviews from the Gregory Lynn case even though there is more to uncover Iam sure.

Did the phone get deliberately turned on at the dam in order to wet the active circuit and create more damage?​

“What kills a wet phone is electricity, said Gary Tan with DE iPhone repair, a San Francisco-based company that offers multiple sites for smart phone repair and drying.
Do not charge it. Do not plug it in to see if it works. If it’s on, electricity will flow, it will touch the water that’s inside and that’s when your fry the (circuit) board.”

That is something I would expect an electrical apprentice would know, for sure.

Weapon was a torch are you suggesting?

Just say it was a torch and that torch was located under the blackberry bushes at the dam. Why would it be discarded with the phone or hidden in the same place as the phone? Do magnalite or metal torches float?
I read that a torch was recovered at the dam. I was just thinking of those magnalite torches in the 90’s, they were a foot long. Weren’t they used by Police back then? They look like a baton.

IIRC the accused's initials are . I'm guessing ROS is a typo - perhaps should have been . JMO
I'm trying to rectify my above post, by showing the initials of the accused's name again. The system won't allow this to display - advertiser censored? - and it's dawned on me that the acronym for this particular set of initials is a degrading description of a person. It's been displayed previously in this thread - but not any more.

Suffice to say that the first initial is the letter "P".

Last edited:
That is something I would expect an electrical apprentice would know, for sure.
If RPOS has intentionally turned the phone on at the dam in order to damage it further (wanting to break the circuit), he’s demonstrating scheming & planning. It’s therefore likely that the phone was dumped before hiding the body because he would not want the phone at the body-hiding-spot due to the risk of it revealing the location.

R = real

my thoughts only

Hi @australianwebsleuth,
Thank you for your posts, I'm appreciating them.
I do however have a question, who/what is ROS - please?
According to all information (that I've read thus far) the accused's Christian name starts with P - his full name abbreviated is a very fitting acronym - however - WS spam filter deletes it - which is very boring cause (imo) the majority of us would love to use it when referring to him - he fits it to a T.
TVM & cheers,
Mig/MOO
should be a P. Typo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads