Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat, 4 Feb 2024 *Arrest* #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The problem would be if he threw it while in the car. The dam was behind a barrier of bushy weeds. So either he lobbed it over the top of his car from the far-side window, in which case difficult to aim--but it's a big dam. Or he threw it from the dam-side window, and the problem would be getting the height to clear the bushes. The bigger his limbs, the more constricted his throw.
I don't believe he would have thrown it from the car. I think he would have pulled over, gone behind the bushes, and thrown it from there. I don't know if it's just me, but if I see a car pulled over on a country road, near the cover of bushes, and saw a young guy get out and head that way, my first thought would be that he needs to relieve himself. I wouldn't bat an eyelid, nor give it a second thought. It's a very Aussie thing to do IMHO.

That’s interesting Jitty. It’s interesting to also re-visit this early police presser. From 4.15 he mentions ruling out a medical episode and leaving the area of her own accord. At 7.15 he says there’s no risk to anyone else. Also mentions/acknowledges the later day “5pm” ping.
Is there any chance that ping came from PS’s phone?

When was that interview? Was it in the first week?

Does anyone have knowledge of the actual distance - roadside to location found? Google maps makes it appear not that far at all, even using their distance guide. I haven't been able to find a full aerial shot of where the phone was located in relation to the road.

If indeed PS threw it, you need to bear in mind he's a young adult in the prime of his life. Tall (long arms and legs), athletic, played footy for several years, rode motorbikes, on the rowing team at St Pat's (upper body strength), into the outdoor lifestyle as seen in several camping pics etc.

I have no doubt, based just on pics from the media, that a phone could be thrown this distance by a person like the accused.

Mention of the rowing team in the below article:

My guess would be about 5 of his car lengths, about 29 metres, from roadside of the bushes to just inside the dam.

My guess would be about 5 of his car lengths, about 29 metres, from roadside of the bushes to just inside the dam.

I'd call that distance doable, especially given a high level of adrenaline and intense desire to get it right.

Also, do we know for sure it was found at the point closest to the road?

I'd call that distance doable, especially given a high level of adrenaline and intense desire to get it right.

Also, do we know for sure it was found at the point closest to the road?

Yes, I think easily doable. Like chucking a rock ... phones (and phones in cases) are not heavy.

I think it was the edge of the dam closest to the road. But that is just my opinion, judging from pics of the police doggy near the dam, and the shape of the dam in the pics.

Mick said, it was turned off, I wondered if he knew some reasons to say that. Maybe he meant , in his way of speaking, that the phone was not in her control, perhaps??.. I took him at his word, that the phone, he believed, was turned off.
Maybe a tracking app may have also shown phone inoperability.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutah82!!
Back