SC - 5 dead, inc. Dr Robert Lesslie & 2 children in shooting, Rock Hill, Apr 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cops found 'cryptic writing and emblems' in Phillip Adams' home and think he could have been following a new RELIGION before the ex-NFL player killed six during gun rampage

"Former NFL player Phillip Adams may have become involved in a new religion before going on a killing rampage that left six people dead in South Carolina earlier this month.

After searching the ex-athlete's home, detectives said they had learned that Adams 'had been acting differently' and was 'possibly following a new religion or ideology'.

Investigators also discovered numerous notebooks containing 'cryptic writing with different designs and emblems' in Adams' room although they indicated they were not able to determine the meanings of these."

Would be interesting to see some of the cryptic writing, designs and emblems of this "new religion". Maybe the family was targeted... anti-Christian?

My heart aches every time I visit this thread :(

Last edited:
Pro Career, Not a Barnburner.
....I'm not sure Adams was tearing it up on the gridiron. His separation from the NFL may not have been due to injury. Many players wash out after a mediocre few years. I see him wearing 3 different unis, San Fran (drafted in 7th round iirc), Philly, and New England. A broken ankle ended one season, and 2 concussions are mentioned....
Over 6 years, he averaged playing 13 games per season. The NFL plays 16 regular season games....
he was paid for completing 6 seasons,... relatively few injuries. Even at league minimum, that's a good pay day....
@GoBuckeyes bbm sbm Thx for post w your analysis about his pro-sports career. FWIW, per wiki,* he played for 6 diff pro-teams for those 6 years.

I don't know anything about pro-sports, but in some industries or fields, having 6 diff employers in 6 yrs indicates, well, hmm, lackluster performance (conceding tho, that employees in those businesses are not gen'ly subjected to broken bones, concussions, in the ordinary course of their work weeks). After 6 yrs, it must have been terribly disappointing to be in his cleats.

No excuse for his actions.
* "...college football for the South Carolina State Bulldogs and was drafted San Francisco 49ers...also played for the New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets, and Atlanta Falcons."
Phillip Adams (American football) - Wikipedia

Well, we know there was a motive.

He had two guns. He chose a specific home. He did not kill family. His rage left his family alive and he took it down the road to another family.

He starting killing people before he even got in the house. Just two men he encountered working at a job. Not a job they ever were going to make millions at....or have fans cheering them on. Not two guys who’d ever PERSONALLY offended him. Adams just took a look at them, and pumped them full of bullets and annihilated them. And we are supposed to believe he had no motive?

He killed children who could never have hurt him. Never could have stopped him. Probably couldn’t even have identified him. Two small children...the only children of two parents now left childless. Every holiday, empty Easter baskets, empty Christmas stockings, no first day at school, no goodnight kisses. Adams looked at them, probably terrified and crying and pumped them full of bullets and annihilated them.

Story has slipped away. Only update...oh, too bad, no motive. Poor guy treated so poorly by NFL. The victims are an afterthought. He had no motive, so they don’t matter. Case closed.

HE HAD A MOTIVE.

Thank you for letting me vent here...where victims DO matter.

I want you to know your thoughtful post about his victims brought tears to my eyes because it's so true.

Without a single doubt all of these precious victims taken so cruelly, and senselessly mattered. They always will to those who loves them who's lives have turned into a living never ending nightmare because of this one evil man.

He does not matter to me. Why should he?
They are the only ones who matters to me. They were very good people. The wee ones so innocent.

I know the motive too.:(

Jmho

....I'm not sure Adams was tearing it up on the gridiron. His separation from the NFL may not have been due to injury. Many players wash out after a mediocre few years. I see him wearing 3 different unis.... A broken ankle.. 2 concussions....Over 6 years, he averaged playing 13 games per season. The NFL plays 16 regular season games.... he was paid for completing 6 seasons... Even at league minimum, that's a good pay day....
@GoBuckeyes bbm sbm Thx for post w your analysis about his pro-sports career. FWIW, per wiki,* he played for 6 diff pro-teams for those 6 years.
I don't know anything about pro-sports, but in some industries or fields, having 6 diff employers in 6 yrs indicates, umm, well, hmm, lackluster performance (conceding tho, that employees in those businesses are not gen'ly subjected to broken bones, concussions, in the ordinary course of their work weeks). After 6 yrs, it must have been terribly disappointing to be in his cleats.
No excuse for his actions. Some ppl go thru 6 jobs in 6 yrs, being compensated at a small fraction of pro-football scale, and still plug thru another 3 decades, without resorting to violence or inflicting death on ppl totally unconnected to them. my2ct.
* "...college football for the South Carolina State Bulldogs and was drafted San Francisco 49ers...also played for the New England Patriots, Oakland Raiders, Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets, and Atlanta Falcons."

Insightful article. Thank you. Looks like the “denied drugs” motive has been walked back.
Some new info...at least to me:

ON APRIL 7, 2021, the York County Sheriff's Department received a 911 call at 4:46 p.m. from a 80-year-old man reporting a "bad shooting" at his neighbor's house on Marshall Road. That man said he'd been outside cutting his grass when he heard "about 20" gunshots. He'd just seen someone he suspected was the shooter -- a man dressed in a black hoodie -- run out of the house carrying something under his arm (police would later include burglary among the charges against Adams). “

If we knew what he stole from the house, perhaps it would clarify the motive. In other words, if it was a jewelry box, he came to take something of value. He killed the workman, the children, because he desired no witnesses and wanted to make quick money and get away with it.

If it was the Doctors satchel...that could still apply...because certain medicines have considerable street value...or it could have been that he was interested in acquiring pain killers at any price.

For some reason, that information has not been released. I wonder why?

I also found it interesting that he came and left by the woods...wearing dark clothing. He did not expect to have a workman see him. The fact that he was seen, was obviously on foot, and lived nearby was bad luck for him.

He did not kill himself right away...I doubt the original plan included suicide. He wanted whatever he stole and he wanted to get away with it. If the other workman hadn’t lived for a short time, he could very well have been successful.

I have zero pity for his “hard life.” All my pity goes to the terrific burden he has thrust upon the families of his victims to bear. Parents with dead children. Children with a dead custodial Father.

I do have pity for his family and the ghastly legacy he has left them to bear.

I have pity for Adams' family also. I do wish the father or media, whichever the case, wouldn't have led with comments/excuses about him "never being right after football," insinuating CTE. MOO, the time to defend his son was after a statement containing sincere and heartfelt condolences to the victims' families.

Maybe he stated those condolences and the media focused on what he said after about his son and football. Who knows with the media anymore? Or, perhaps, because no one is afforded any privacy or dignity, media caught him off guard. Maybe in a moment of terrible grief and trying to make sense of what had happened, he made the football comments. Eithet way, I'm certain he feels horrible for the victims and their families. It's just a shame that people often need to hire a family spokesperson to be given a moment to grieve.

The 80 year-old is fortunate that he wasn't shot dead too. Good grief! Adams just shot everyone he came upon?! Did he really think no one was going to have security cams? This is awful! I didn't realize the 2nd worker passed. Is there an article that gives details on him? These poor people were just going about their hard-working lives. It's truly horrendous.

Maybe this wasn't about Rx drugs, might it be about theft to obtain illicit drugs?

Would be interesting to see some of the cryptic writing, designs and emblems of this "new religion". Maybe the family was targeted... anti-Christian?

Mine does too. Could be anti-Christian and/or anti-white. Were all victims white?

I do wish LE would release some of the cryptic writing/emblems. I'd like to recognize them if I see them. Just as I like to avoid areas with high gang graffiti. KWIM?

Last edited:
New information:

Adams dropped his cellphone and a tin of chewing tobacco at the crime scene. The cellphone’s number was linked to Adams from a public index and a Feb. 28 traffic stop.

Adams was seen by a Rock Hill police officer’s body camera footage fleeing the scene on an ATV that was found at his parents’ home.

Officers found a cache of guns, including a “Tommy gun”-style machine gun and the two weapons believed to have been used in the murders (9mm and .45 caliber handguns).

BBM
“Deputies also received a search warrant for medical records at Dr. Lesslie’s office. Deputies did not find any documents that showed Phillip Adams was a patient, York County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Trent Faris said Friday.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article250898654.html#storylink=cpy
Did his family know about the cache of guns? Or did he sneak them into his parents house when he moved in?

I don't know anything about pro-sports, but in some industries or fields, having 6 diff employers in 6 yrs indicates, umm, well, hmm, lackluster performance (conceding tho, that employees in those businesses are not gen'ly subjected to broken bones, concussions, in the ordinary course of their work weeks). After 6 yrs, it must have been terribly disappointing to be in his cleats.
No excuse for his actions. Some ppl go thru 6 jobs in 6 yrs, being compensated at a small fraction of pro-football scale, and still plug thru another 3 decades, without resorting to violence or inflicting death on ppl totally unconnected to them. my2ct.

Thank you, @al66pine, for this additional information. I appreciate it. In pro football, 6 teams in six years is indeed, as you said, "lackluster." IIRC, he was drafted in the 7th round. There are some exceptions, but generally those guys don't tend to have illustrious careers. However, they can make a very good living in that utility player role, if they're willing to go where the work is and they maintain their talent level. Some guys play 20 years in the League by going where the work is and taking what they'll pay them.

I looked up his position and salary. He was a corner back and made an estimated $3,643,322 in 6 years. Corner backs, for those who don't follow football, defend against receivers deep in the field, well away from the line of scrimmage. They are some of the least likely players to suffer a concussion or repeated head trauma; although, reports noted that he had 2 within a 3 game period. 2 was the extent of the concussions noted. So, unlike the guys on the line who frequently sustain some degree of collision to the upper body and head, corners aren't nearly so susceptible to that.

Last edited:

I don't know what it means either. But I agree you it will be interesting to find out because Adams' actions were so senseless.

I don't know anything about pro-sports, but in some industries or fields, having 6 diff employers in 6 yrs indicates, well, hmm, lackluster performance (conceding tho, that employees in those businesses are not gen'ly subjected to broken bones, concussions, in the ordinary course of their work weeks). After 6 yrs, it must have been terribly disappointing to be in his cleats.

No excuse for his actions.

Thank you, @al66pine, for this additional information. I appreciate it. In pro football, 6 teams in six years is indeed, as you said, "lackluster." IIRC, he was drafted in the 7th round. There are some exceptions, but generally those guys don't tend to have illustrious careers. However, they can make a very good living in that utility player role, if they're willing to go where the work is and they maintain their talent level. Some guys play 20 years in the League by going where the work is and taking what they'll pay them.

I looked up his position and salary. He was a corner back and made an estimated $3,643,322 in 6 years. Corner backs, for those who don't follow football, defend against receivers deep in the field, well away from the line of scrimmage. They are some of the least likely players to suffer a concussion or repeated head trauma; although, reports noted that he had 2 within a 3 game period. 2 was the extent of the concussions noted. So, unlike the guys on the line who frequently sustain some degree of collision to the upper body and head, corners aren't nearly so susceptible to that.
I do have a background in football and I would argue that six different teams, even in six years, is truly not that unusual, especially for those bubble type roster guys. It's also about individual team needs and salary cap, roster depth at a specific position, etc etc etc. And you can still be a great, talented player - who was the best at your high school, the best at your college, and the NFL is a whole different world. EVERYONE at that level is the best. The game is faster, the players bigger. CBA restrictions allow for limited offseason practice, reps, development, production.

And injuries and concussions happen. It's just part of the game at that level. I used to review player injury settlements once upon a time. But ultimately, nothing about his NFL career is all that uncommon or unusual to me. There is a decent book called "Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile" by Nate Jackson, a former player, for those interested in this topic.

All of that said, nothing jumps out at me from his NFL career as being a catalyst to these murders. Six teams in six years may sound like a flag in other types of jobs/industries, but it really isn't anything out of the ordinary in the NFL - these players are kind of treated less like actual people and more like faceless roster transactions.

It's a rough business, but thousands of players go through the same thing and don't end up as mass murderers. He may have fell into some kind of depression or felt lost after football, that would be common and normal, but to lead to this?? I don't know if that can be blamed on football.

Six Teams, Six Years?
I do have a background in football and I would argue that six different teams, even in six years, is truly not that unusual, especially for those bubble type roster guys. It's also about individual team needs and salary cap, roster depth at a specific position, etc etc etc...
Six teams in six years may sound like a flag in other types of jobs/industries, but it really isn't anything out of the ordinary in the NFL - these players are kind of treated less like actual people and more like faceless roster transactions.....
@scdiv sbm bbm Thx for your post w clarification. As I mentioned, I don't know anything about sports. I had to wiki "bubble type roster" and learned something new here on Websleuths, as I do almost daily. A great forum. TYVM.

I do have a background in football and I would argue that six different teams, even in six years, is truly not that unusual, especially for those bubble type roster guys. It's also about individual team needs and salary cap, roster depth at a specific position, etc etc etc. And you can still be a great, talented player - who was the best at your high school, the best at your college, and the NFL is a whole different world. EVERYONE at that level is the best. The game is faster, the players bigger. CBA restrictions allow for limited offseason practice, reps, development, production.

And injuries and concussions happen. It's just part of the game at that level. I used to review player injury settlements once upon a time. But ultimately, nothing about his NFL career is all that uncommon or unusual to me. There is a decent book called "Slow Getting Up: A Story of NFL Survival from the Bottom of the Pile" by Nate Jackson, a former player, for those interested in this topic.

All of that said, nothing jumps out at me from his NFL career as being a catalyst to these murders. Six teams in six years may sound like a flag in other types of jobs/industries, but it really isn't anything out of the ordinary in the NFL - these players are kind of treated less like actual people and more like faceless roster transactions.

It's a rough business, but thousands of players go through the same thing and don't end up as mass murderers. He may have fell into some kind of depression or felt lost after football, that would be common and normal, but to lead to this?? I don't know if that can be blamed on football.

I wasn't saying in any way that 6 teams in six years was a red flag for CTE and/or eventual violence. I contend quite the opposite. To me it says, he was a mediocre player whose talent could no longer hang in the NFL, and his six INTs total make me wonder how much playing time per game he actually saw.

With all due respect to you and your background, I would contend that for a corner, 6 teams in 6 years is fairly unusual; so are his 6 career interceptions. Rather low average of 1 int./season. JMO.

I agree with you that football was no motive for the murder.

Thank you, @al66pine, for this additional information... In pro football, 6 teams in six years is indeed, as you said, "lackluster." IIRC, ...those guys don't tend to have illustrious careers. However, they can make a very good living in that utility player role, if they're willing to go where the work is and they maintain their talent level. Some guys play 20 years in the League by going where the work is and taking what they'll pay them....
@GoBuckeyes sbm bbm I had no idea.
Someone playing for 20 yrs, living very modestly on his average $600,000/yr (less inc. taxes, etc), and stuffing the piggybank, IRAs, etc along the way, could retire, then conceivably coast w'out further employment til reaching Soc Sec yrs. Plus some NFL retirement $? Admittedly, it likely would burn thru a lot of his principal, but still. Guessing not many pro-players have that long term mindset.
Anyway that was not Adams' life, an entirely different, sad trajectory, but not nearly as tragic as the six lives lost prematurely at his hands. Man, oh, man. my2ct.

Last edited:
The "cryptic writing" could be a sign of late-onset schizophrenia, instead of a religion. People with paranoid schizophrenia can keep diaries with invented symbols. It is a part of their descent into unreality... Paranoid schizophrenics can be violent, and project paranoid fantasies onto unsuspecting individuals. At age 32, Adams could be a candidate for this condition. Left untreated, Adams could have had paranoid thoughts about his neighbors that developed into homicidal violence.

The "cryptic writing" could be a sign of late-onset schizophrenia, instead of a religion. People with paranoid schizophrenia can keep diaries with invented symbols. It is a part of their descent into unreality... Paranoid schizophrenics can be violent, and project paranoid fantasies onto unsuspecting individuals. At age 32, Adams could be a candidate for this condition. Left untreated, Adams could have had paranoid thoughts about his neighbors that developed into homicidal violence.
Yes. I agree. Once a psychotic break from reality occurs, they convince themselves their racing delusional thoughts are true. One small detail or trigger can be proven real in their minds. That small detail grows, escalates and develops into full blown psychosis. Once there without medical supervision - the paranoia can turn violent.

That's interesting. Does he fit into that age group? I wonder if his parents will be able to shed any light on when the unusual behavior started?

For some reason the Colorado theater shooter came to mind. (Might be totally off on my memory in regard to paranoid schizophrenia. I just remember seeing pictures of a well kempt young man versus the one we saw at trial and all of the journals he kept.)

Thanks for the link. Adams spent a lot of money on guns and accessories.

I agree.

Though I cant really articulate it, there might be something about his choice of weapons that points towards either a deeper interest in fire arms, or perhaps a psychosis where one is fixated on the look or image that the weapons convey?

The weapons recovered were a "tommy gun" and an "MP-5". My impression is that both these weapons are rare and not readily available. Rather, they could well need to be sought out or special ordered.

This is in contrast to many rampage shooters who go into a gun store or pawn shop and buy what ever high capacity rifles or pistols are available at the moment. Tommy guns or MP-5s would simply not be available.

For reference, Tommy guns are the historical 1930s gangster guns. Accordingly, they are featured in related "Bonnie and Clyde" and "Capone" type movies. They are difficult to mass produce due to many precision parts. Thus, even recreations are probably expensive and made in limited quantities.

Likewise, German MP-5s were / are ultra high precision SWAT, Special Forces, Secret Service etc. type guns. They were all the rage in the 1980s- 90s Miami Vice and the endless action movies of the era as the "cool guns" for both bad and good guys.

In short and apologizing for the rambling post, but I seriously doubt those guns were impulse buys from the local pawnshop gun store, or even gun show.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back