Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe it's just me but what I find odd is there is so little footage of her.. I mean i have never been to myrtle beach but if it is anything like any tourist area i have ever been to there seems to be survailaince EVERYWHERE why so little here? and if there was more why did so little of capture BD?? I think there is alot more to the story then is known and i beilieve if LE would put more pressure on these "friends" if they can be call that...then maybe they could get more info.

:Welcome1::Welcome1:

[/B]
Bolded by me. And this is why I believe that it is more likely that Moody (or a similar perp) is responsible for Brittanee's disappearance rather than any of the kids she was with from NY state (although I'm not giving them a pass on their behavior towards Brittanee & her mom after she disappeared).

Why would those kids lure Brit to the hotel then disappear her as she walks back to her hotel? Why not just disappear her at the hotel? This has always seemed like a stranger abduction to me. I think it's more likely Brit was attacked & killed by a stranger & sexual predator than sold into sex slavery by the group from NY given from where she disappears - out on the street alone.

That's why I think it was one of the people she was with. Letting her walk back alone keeps them off the hotel video camera. I think she'd be a lot more likely to get into a friends car than the car of someone else. JMO

maybe it's just me but what I find odd is there is so little footage of her.. I mean i have never been to myrtle beach but if it is anything like any tourist area i have ever been to there seems to be survailaince EVERYWHERE why so little here? and if there was more why did so little of capture BD?? I think there is alot more to the story then is known and i beilieve if LE would put more pressure on these "friends" if they can be call that...then maybe they could get more info.

:welcome4: glad to have you! :)

This point you mentioned is also something I've never understood clearly. The tourist rate for Myrtle Beach is at such a high rate, you would think there's surveillance on every street. I've always been under that assumption. If you browse through the different websites for the hotels/resorts in Myrtle Beach, many of them have actual webcams set up on certain parts of their property, so that customers can virtually see what the place looks like- a lot of them have footage set up by pool areas, or traffic view, or even a view of the beach itself. I've looked on the BW resort a time or two to see if I could find access to any of the above (if they had them at all), and I haven't been successful. I believe Farmhand and a few other users were able to come to the conclusion that the traffic camera where we see her walking was either right at the Super 8 Motel, or extremely close to it. Just out of curiosity, I looked at multiple websites for the hotels surrounding the Super 8 just to see if they offered any live footage of the beach or the traffic outside, and again haven't found anything.

Since she has disappeared, Myrtle Beach has put up cameras everywhere, pretty much all the way down Ocean Boulevard. It's definitely disheartening to think that this is one of the only clues LE has received, mainly because we know that it's probably not going to lead to anything. The footage is too grainy, you can barely even recognize her because the quality is so horrible.

However- I think that if LE had a POI who they strongly believe is involved, they could probably start finding more surveillance footage. For instance, Gas stations, restaurants, the beach shops- all of these mentioned should have SOME kind of surveillance, I don't know many establishments that don't. Hypothetically, if LE had a POI and in addition had an idea of a vehicle make/model that they were using, LE could probably start going to these places and requesting footage from that night, just to see if maybe that person with the same vehicle is caught driving past. Unfortunately, her case has been open for quite some time now.. Companies don't keep their security footage for forever, they really have no reason to. I hate to say it, but even if LE did find more cameras to view, it's more than likely that footage from 2009 is long gone :(

Another thing I always wondered about is surveillance footage from Georgetown. It is understood her cell phone last pinged near the Poleyard Landing. As far as I can tell the only way to get to the Poleyard Landing from MB is to drive through Georgetown on Highway 17. I checked on Google Maps and there are a couple of gas stations, restaurants, a UPS store, a pawn store, Napa auto parts store, and a couple of churches on that stretch of road through Georgetown. You would think one of them would have some kind of surveillance that would record traffic on Highway 17 by accident or on purpose. Especially the gas stations. I think most gas stations have cameras pointed at their gas pumps. I might be mistaken but I thought LE checked her cell records right away and figured out her cell phone ended up at Poleyard. I would think LE would check every business between MB and Poleyard for any available footage. Maybe they did and nothing was saved or of value. I hope LE checked it out.

Another thing I always wondered about is surveillance footage from Georgetown. It is understood her cell phone last pinged near the Poleyard Landing. As far as I can tell the only way to get to the Poleyard Landing from MB is to drive through Georgetown on Highway 17. I checked on Google Maps and there are a couple of gas stations, restaurants, a UPS store, a pawn store, Napa auto parts store, and a couple of churches on that stretch of road through Georgetown. You would think one of them would have some kind of surveillance that would record traffic on Highway 17 by accident or on purpose. Especially the gas stations. I think most gas stations have cameras pointed at their gas pumps. I might be mistaken but I thought LE checked her cell records right away and figured out her cell phone ended up at Poleyard. I would think LE would check every business between MB and Poleyard for any available footage. Maybe they did and nothing was saved or of value. I hope LE checked it out.
When we go to Myrtle Beach, we have to go past the Georgetown area in order to get to Myrtle Beach. Wasn't there a ping in McClellanville? Even though we've been to Myrtle so many times, I don't know anything about either of those areas. Is McClellanville in Georgetown County?

You would think that they would be able to study her phone records and the locations pinging and match them up with establishments in the area and check for any surveillance available. I don't really know the criteria (if any) that has to be "met" for them to investigate this. I mean, yes LE could go to the owner(s) of any gas station or any store/location in general and request to view any footage they have, and I'm sure majority of them would be more than happy to help out, but I have a feeling it isn't that easy. Again, I'm not familiar with the regulations or laws for South Carolina. Just as with the phone records, would LE have to subpoena the companies in order to view their surveillance?

I'm sure they've already explored this option, though. If they haven't, maybe they have to wait (legally?) until they have probable cause and/or a solid lead for Brittanee's case before being able to do this. They've been so hush-hush this whole time, it's hard to tell what they've accomplished and what they haven't.

I have been reading alot of the previous threads on here and there seems to be so many twist and turns in her case the more i read i just cant shake the feeling about these "friends" i dont know that i believe they actually hurt her but i am convinced that they know more then they are letting on also (if this has already been addressed sorry i havent made it all the way back threw everything yet) what about the guys that were taunting her the night before? apparently they were pretty bad if she asked a stranger to walk with her because she felt unsafe...has anyone been able to identify them what if she ran into them again and there was no one around to help her out this time? again these are just ideas i have come up with

one more thing...I also read in a previous post that LE believed she was alive with her phone before it's last ping? what do they have to make the believe that she didnt respond to any texts nor answer and call so why would they believe she was alive what evidence do they have to assume she was even with the phone much less alive ...not that i want to put a negative spin on it b/c i hope more than anything she is found alive in well but that is such an odd thing for LE to say with only the info they have given out

one more thing...I also read in a previous post that LE believed she was alive with her phone before it's last ping? what do they have to make the believe that she didnt respond to any texts nor answer and call so why would they believe she was alive what evidence do they have to assume she was even with the phone much less alive ...not that i want to put a negative spin on it b/c i hope more than anything she is found alive in well but that is such an odd thing for LE to say with only the info they have given out

I've wondered that myself, because they seem quite emphatic about it. Probably some information that hasn't been released to the public, I suppose.

I have been reading alot of the previous threads on here and there seems to be so many twist and turns in her case the more i read i just cant shake the feeling about these "friends" i dont know that i believe they actually hurt her but i am convinced that they know more then they are letting on also (if this has already been addressed sorry i havent made it all the way back threw everything yet) what about the guys that were taunting her the night before? apparently they were pretty bad if she asked a stranger to walk with her because she felt unsafe...has anyone been able to identify them what if she ran into them again and there was no one around to help her out this time? again these are just ideas i have come up with

I agree 100% JMO IIRC, Dawn thinks that one of the friends lured her down there to put her on the white slavery market.

Initially upon her disappearance, LE set focus on Peter (guy at the other hotel in MB) and his friends, and then of course the other set of friends that Britanee actually went to MB with who ended up isolating her from the rest of their group for whatever reason. They were really interested in Peter and his friends, not only because he was one of the last people to see Brittanee before she vanished, but because they suddenly checked out of their room in the middle of the night, and booked it back to Rochester to lawyer up. Brittanee's mother has said that his story has changed multiple times as to why they felt the need to leave right at that second, and she thinks that obviously if he was being truthful about the situation, the story shouldn't change. LE doesn't see it that way. LE hasn't said much about any of these kids, other than they believe they aren't involved. They said that they have all been completely cooperative with the investigation conducted. They don't elaborate on that statement, though. They've never said anything about checking any of their phone records or questioning their behavior prior to and following Brittanee's disappearance. The only information we've been given is LE saying they're not involved.

Brittanee's mother has heard over and over from LE that they don't believe any of the friends know or have any information regarding her disappearance. Yet, she is still so set on the fact that they "know something more". A lot of people say she's in denial, but I'm not so sure that's the case. Dawn continues to say "they know more", but she can never elaborate or mention anymore information because the investigation is on-going. It's strange and so aggravating because I think that there's more to the story here, too, but we may never find out what it is, IF it is anything at all.

For anyone who isn't familiar with Brittanee's case, the logical theory/explanation would be that most likely a sex offender snatched her without anyone seeing- it happens all the time now-a-days. Alright, so here we have a sex offender (Moody) who clearly fits the profile and is a habitual offender. Not to mention there's the speeding ticket to prove he was in the same area less than 24 hours after she vanished! They search what was once his residence at the time of her disappearance and then say that not only is he the POI in Brittanee's case, but also in another missing woman's case from a few years earlier (Crystal Soles). Dawn is highly aware of all of this information, but when she's asked about Moody or asked in general what she believes happened to Brittanee or where she is, Dawn always goes back to this group of kids.

Personally, from the information we've gathered and been given, I think the RSO stranger abduction theory is most plausible in this situation.. but I'm not 100% convinced that these kids don't know more. They may not be directly responsible for whatever has happened, but judging from Dawn's behavior, it makes me think they're withholding information to cover their own butts for whatever reason is left.

Indeed. LE wouldn't put something out into the media if they didn't know something, especially a statement like that. If you read between the lines in the statement 'BD was most likely alive and with her phone' my feeling is that BD made an attempt to use the phone. Is that the reason it pinged before it went dead?

I agree. I believe it is more likely that RM is a more plasuable suspect BUT if the "friends" truly had NOTHING to do with it then why are they so secretive and not more fourth coming with info? I am sorry i am not that much older then these kids and I know i would rather be accused of experimenting with drugs or something along those lines, then have the world think i was involved in a girls dissaperance. Why would they not admit to the lesser crime if they were truly not involved then what would it matter if there was some drug use,underage drinking, ect....Just my thoughts on that, Furthermore if they were not truly her friends and only acquaintes why ask Britt to go in the first place? I know when i was 18-21 i wouldnt have wanted a 17 year old tagging along if i was planning on going to party it up ..to many risk as far as not being able to get in clubs do to age..which brings me to my next point they obviously did go to clubs how did Britt get in? do they not check I.D.'S or did she have a fake one if so who did the fake id belong to?

I agree 100% JMO IIRC, Dawn thinks that one of the friends lured her down there to put her on the white slavery market.

BBM

...I just can't see that. Those kids were planning an Easter vacation to the beach. Planning, packing, and getting the hello pete out of their hometown was all that was on their minds, imo.

Now, I don't say that ^ without saying this: I have often wondered did someone in her group see what happened. Or even closely thereafter see a car going down the street w/ BD in it, or even hear her cry out.

Indeed. LE wouldn't put something out into the media if they didn't know something, especially a statement like that. If you read between the lines in the statement 'BD was most likely alive and with her phone' my feeling is that BD made an attempt to use the phone. Is that the reason it pinged before it went dead?

I agree I think Brittanee tried to make a call and hung up. Otherwise how would they know she was alive. The call obviously wasn't to 911 or they wouldn't have first assummed that she was a run away. I'm guessing she tried to call her boyfriend or the "so called friends". Maybe this is why they aren't talking maybe they ignored it.

Thinking of you, Brittanee.
I will be making a trip to Myrtle Beach with my mom in 2013...and to know that Brittanee went missing there, a place my family has gone to for vacations for years...it's just unbelievable. Even almost four years later...I can't believe it. It was always seen as a safe place to me. :(

Initially upon her disappearance, LE set focus on Peter (guy at the other hotel in MB) and his friends, and then of course the other set of friends that Britanee actually went to MB with who ended up isolating her from the rest of their group for whatever reason. They were really interested in Peter and his friends, not only because he was one of the last people to see Brittanee before she vanished, but because they suddenly checked out of their room in the middle of the night, and booked it back to Rochester to lawyer up. Brittanee's mother has said that his story has changed multiple times as to why they felt the need to leave right at that second, and she thinks that obviously if he was being truthful about the situation, the story shouldn't change. LE doesn't see it that way. LE hasn't said much about any of these kids, other than they believe they aren't involved. They said that they have all been completely cooperative with the investigation conducted. They don't elaborate on that statement, though. They've never said anything about checking any of their phone records or questioning their behavior prior to and following Brittanee's disappearance. The only information we've been given is LE saying they're not involved.

Brittanee's mother has heard over and over from LE that they don't believe any of the friends know or have any information regarding her disappearance. Yet, she is still so set on the fact that they "know something more". A lot of people say she's in denial, but I'm not so sure that's the case. Dawn continues to say "they know more", but she can never elaborate or mention anymore information because the investigation is on-going. It's strange and so aggravating because I think that there's more to the story here, too, but we may never find out what it is, IF it is anything at all.

For anyone who isn't familiar with Brittanee's case, the logical theory/explanation would be that most likely a sex offender snatched her without anyone seeing- it happens all the time now-a-days. Alright, so here we have a sex offender (Moody) who clearly fits the profile and is a habitual offender. Not to mention there's the speeding ticket to prove he was in the same area less than 24 hours after she vanished! They search what was once his residence at the time of her disappearance and then say that not only is he the POI in Brittanee's case, but also in another missing woman's case from a few years earlier (Crystal Soles). Dawn is highly aware of all of this information, but when she's asked about Moody or asked in general what she believes happened to Brittanee or where she is, Dawn always goes back to this group of kids.

Personally, from the information we've gathered and been given, I think the RSO stranger abduction theory is most plausible in this situation.. but I'm not 100% convinced that these kids don't know more. They may not be directly responsible for whatever has happened, but judging from Dawn's behavior, it makes me think they're withholding information to cover their own butts for whatever reason is left.

BBM

I respectfully disagree. The RSO isn't going to get out of his car and throw her in on a busy street without someone noticing. JMO

That's why I feel it's far more likely that she knew the person she got into the car with. JMO

BBM

I respectfully disagree. The RSO isn't going to get out of his car and throw her in on a busy street without someone noticing. JMO

That's why I feel it's far more likely that she knew the person she got into the car with. JMO

I agree.

If you watch the video of Brittanee walking away from the hotel, you can see how busy the street is and how fast the traffic moves. You also see how many people are walking back and forth.
There isn't a parking lane...Someone would have had to stop, block traffic, get out, snatch her, pull her into the car and take off with at least 50 other cars around. (and at least one blowing the horn to get out of the way. Brittanee was reportedly in a fairly bad mood and from her mother's reports, she could have a temper. I'm sure she wasn't an easy target.
It's just very unlikely.

When I look at the timeline, Peter and his friends are the ones that fit.
The time it took to drive south, then back and pack up their things VERY hastily. (to the point of not collecting clothes from the bathroom)

Actually, no, an experienced predator doesn't have to park and get out of the car. He can grab somebody standing on the sidewalk while barely slowing down. I've seen a police demonstration of how it happens -- the cop grabbed a volunteer who thought she was being careful as she was walking along the school bus loop. I don't think it took even 15 seconds. He just leaned across the seat and dragged her in through the front window.

I agree.

If you watch the video of Brittanee walking away from the hotel, you can see how busy the street is and how fast the traffic moves. You also see how many people are walking back and forth.
There isn't a parking lane...Someone would have had to stop, block traffic, get out, snatch her, pull her into the car and take off with at least 50 other cars around. (and at least one blowing the horn to get out of the way. Brittanee was reportedly in a fairly bad mood and from her mother's reports, she could have a temper. I'm sure she wasn't an easy target.
It's just very unlikely.

When I look at the timeline, Peter and his friends are the ones that fit.
The time it took to drive south, then back and pack up their things VERY hastily. (to the point of not collecting clothes from the bathroom)

BBM

Would anyone have a link handy for the video? I've searched on Brittanee's website & YouTube & I can't seem to find it.

I only remember seeing still shots from the surveillance at the hotel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
california_girl