Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it would have been dark or just getting dark. But seriously, if you've ever been on Ocean Blvd on a spring/summer evening, there are hundreds of people and dozens of cars constantly cruising at all hours. Now, if she turned down a side street(there is a bad street one block over called Yaupon Dr) then it's pretty deserted other than bad characters most times.

Yes, there was an ATTEMPTED abduction on 2010 from the same area on Ocean Blvd, but they quickly made an arrest. My guess is they had dozens of eyewitnesses to this. If this had happened to BD, I think the following week when it became big news we'd have had ALOT of people come forward to say they had seen something.
There were no eyewitnesses besides the victim. At least none were reported, and all charges were dropped against the guy they arrested because he was 40 miles away when the failed abduction happened.

23 billboards is quite a lot. I've seen the one just south of Myrtle and I really felt like they needed one in McClellanville. I still think the answers are there. Chin up, everyone. This is going in the right direction after a long period without much activity. At nothing less, the spotlight is on our girl. Even if they don't have all of the pieces yet, I feel a great sense of optimism that we can pull all of it together. The same article that mentioned the reward money and billboards also mentioned that law enforcement will be flooding that area and going door to door to talk to people. McClellanville is small. Small enough that the middle/high school
just closed its doors after this final class graduated. Someone has the answers and I just have this feeling it's all going to come out soon. 😀

As a local we keep hearing about trafficking but you rarely hear anything from LE about that problem. It's scary to think about. I know the local government struggles with the image of the area, but if it's a legitimate problem it needs to be discussed and locals and visitors need to be made aware of it.

I agree! I've lived in MB for 10 and not once have heard about a situation where a female was yanked off the street and forced into sex trafficking. There have been girls reported missing after witnesses saw her arguing with a guy (or some similar scenario) but all of them turned out to have runaway from home on their own volition. There have definitely been reports of sex trafficking, but all of the victims that I'm aware of are Hispanic and were brought here from Mexico for sex trafficking purposes.

ETA: this post isn't meant to dispute that it happens here just that I wish we heard more about it. I will say that the local media has gotten better about reporting crimes that might harm the area's reputation over the last few years, probably because they've received so much criticism about it in the past. MBPD seems to be more transparent as well and started a task force in 2012 to help educate the public about ST.

Can somebody who's listening post the highlights for those of us who can't? Thanks!

$25,000 is a sad reward. Almost insulting if you ask me. Nobody is going to come forward for that puny amount. Rewards need to be in 6 figures if you want answers. Hopefully this is all strategic and a cover for a bigger (and better) plan.

Why are the FBI all of a sudden so interested in this case?

I agree! I've lived in MB for 10 and not once have heard about a situation where a female was yanked off the street and forced into sex trafficking. There have been girls reported missing after witnesses saw her arguing with a guy (or some similar scenario) but all of them turned out to have runaway from home on their own volition. There have definitely been reports of sex trafficking, but all of the victims that I'm aware of are Hispanic and were brought here from Mexico for sex trafficking purposes.

Kids today seem to be well aware that just because a girl left home on her own originally, that doesn't mean that she is now free to go. They know the guy being argued with might well be her pimp as well as her "boyfriend" (I use the term loosely) keeping her in line by abuse, drugs, and violence. And they know that that is sex trafficking as much as dragging a girl off to Mexico or wherever would be.

Sex trafficking does happen but as you said it's extremely rare for them to just pull a random person off the street and force them into it. That person is way more likely to draw attention and/or try to escape. The women who are sex trafficked are more often manipulated into it IMO.

23 billboards is quite a lot. I've seen the one just south of Myrtle and I really felt like they needed one in McClellanville. I still think the answers are there. Chin up, everyone. This is going in the right direction after a long period without much activity. At nothing less, the spotlight is on our girl. Even if they don't have all of the pieces yet, I feel a great sense of optimism that we can pull all of it together. The same article that mentioned the reward money and billboards also mentioned that law enforcement will be flooding that area and going door to door to talk to people. McClellanville is small. Small enough that the middle/high school
just closed its doors after this final class graduated. Someone has the answers and I just have this feeling it's all going to come out soon. ��

It is heartening, isn't it? I mean, people who knew Brittanee, her friends and family, and those here at WS following her case have never forgotten but it is heartening to hear her name come from the lips of LE. For too many of the missing, once the initial activity ceases LE just moves on.

I hope something comes of this new activity in her case. She appears to be a beautiful human being and her loved ones deserve some answers.

Funny how we all assume it is viable for mexicans and other foreigners to be brought to the US for sex trafficking but think it is unlikely for it to happen the other way around. As if Mexican cartels wouldnt pay top dollar for attractive young American girls. JMO

That's no surprise

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Appealing to the public, the Community. Someone saw something, knows something
BD did leave the MB area went to Georgetown area and was killed.
It's extremely difficult
25,000 reward
Anyone has any info no matter how small please call the tip line
We will not discuss the evidence but they have a lot of evidence
We have talked to a lot of people and we will talk to people we haven't talked to
She was in this area for several days
She was held against her will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members