Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
KCaswell - thanks for your input. I also read the article at the link posted by 1curious1. Now I am wondering if her depression played a major role in what happened to her. LE said in the article that it was important to find her quickly due to her depression. If she wasn't taking her meds she may have become so down that she committed suicide. I know that is not considered a primary possibility, but I can't help but wonder. Could she have jumped from a bridge somewhere? But then I would think a body would have surfaced by now. I don't know, but this case has consumed me from the beginning. At first I wondered if her insistence at going to MB (to the point of going anyway when her mother said No) was connected in some way to her disappearance. Did she meet someone on line? Was there someone she knew, or knew of through other friends, whom she was planning to see in MB?? It still bothers me that she wanted to go so badly that she went with girls that she was more acquaintances with friends. I know that neither of my daughters would go on a trip like that with girls they weren't that comfortable with, unless there was some major motivating factor. And that is where I am stumped. This whole case is baffling, and maddening because the girls who went to MB are not saying all they know. Too bad someone can't put truth serum in their dinners!

KCaswell - thanks for your input. I also read the article at the link posted by 1curious1. Now I am wondering if her depression played a major role in what happened to her. LE said in the article that it was important to find her quickly due to her depression. If she wasn't taking her meds she may have become so down that she committed suicide. I know that is not considered a primary possibility, but I can't help but wonder. Could she have jumped from a bridge somewhere? But then I would think a body would have surfaced by now. I don't know, but this case has consumed me from the beginning. At first I wondered if her insistence at going to MB (to the point of going anyway when her mother said No) was connected in some way to her disappearance. Did she meet someone on line? Was there someone she knew, or knew of through other friends, whom she was planning to see in MB?? It still bothers me that she wanted to go so badly that she went with girls that she was more acquaintances with friends. I know that neither of my daughters would go on a trip like that with girls they weren't that comfortable with, unless there was some major motivating factor. And that is where I am stumped. This whole case is baffling, and maddening because the girls who went to MB are not saying all they know. Too bad someone can't put truth serum in their dinners!

Kateyes-
Just IMO I don't think that the depression had much to do w/it. But I could be wrong. Like you said, I think a body would have been found by now. I think initially they brought this out in the media but if you recall there are a few interviews where DD says she doesn't want this to be all about BD's depression. I think that she may have known that BD really didnt need the meds. Maybe it was a "in the event things get worse."
As for the trip, there are pics of her and AL back to 2007, so she knew her more than an acquaintance. I think she went though because of PB. If you listen to the files on www.wcmf.com CD mentions that BD's friends have told him that Britt liked PB and that it was possible that he was obsessed w/her. Another person calls the station and makes a few accusations about PB and BD as well. But the thing is that if her friends knew she liked him, she may have went knowing he would be there. Especially if JG wasn't going to be around. Question is, what happened from there? I have a few guesses but everytime I say anything on here I get accused of hearsay, so I will stick to the links. Everything I have just stated here can all be backed up w/media links.

as more time passes and as this case draws cold im not feeling like this is a runaway.(

I used to work in clincal trials and know a lot about anti-depressants...if she hadn't been taking them regularly and it had been several days since her last dose, I doubt there would be a drug interaction.

Kateyes-
If you listen to the WCMF audio files, there is one from CD, her stepdad, he says that her meds are still at his house. She never took them to MB w/her. I know this was discussed before but I don't think anyone knew about the audio files at that time.

That is very intersting. You can't just stop taking them it can send you into a deeper depression. She might have killed herself, or was so depressed she put herself in a situation that she wouldn't normally have done and was killed.

Kateyes brought up an interesting point: Why was Brittanee so insistent on going to Myrtle Beach, amidst her mother's protests? It could be Brittanee just wanted to rebel a little, maybe get revenge on her mother for some petty thing. That's what I assumed she did when I first heard about the case. I think what Kateyes said holds some water though - the idea that B wanted to go down there to meet someone (PB??? AS?) is plausible.

About the antidepressants: CD said that her pills were at his house, but surely BD had some with Dawn that she may have taken with her? I can't imagine that her prescription pills would only be with one parent. She probably had multiple bottles. If BD got ahold of any sort of recreational drug, mixed with her antidepressants, I imagine it could be a recipe for disaster.

So, i am 21 and added peter on facebook and he added me back. my friends and i pretended we just thought we thought he was hott so we could maye get some more information. I said I saw him on Dr. Phil and he kind of laughed and said he thought that show was ridiculous. Anyone have any ideas on how to maybe non-chalantly get aome information out of him? he trusts us now and thinks we like him.....so we were hoping to try and get some details that either aren't releasing or what he has not said???
-Jessi

That is very intersting. You can't just stop taking them it can send you into a deeper depression. She might have killed herself, or was so depressed she put herself in a situation that she wouldn't normally have done and was killed.

Warbuckle I agree, if she were taking them on a regular basis. As a nurse I have seen people in the ER with attempted suicides due to stopping their meds. Most of the time, though, it takes several weeks (1-3) for the blood level to drop before the "crash" hits. KCaswell - thanks also if indeed she wasn't really taking them at all, then her depression wasn't a big factor. I was referring back to LE stating that they wanted to find here ASAP because of the depression. Frankly, I am of the opinion that, sadly, she has met with fould play. Sure wish something concrete would be found. Thanks to both of you for input.

I just recently was taken off of antidepressants (which they prescribed me wrong bc i had panic attacks) but I would get really dizzy and sometimes pass out because of the withdrawal. Do you think maybe that happened to her and then a perp or someone took advantage of the fact? also, I know that heat and stress made me feel even worse and the withdrawal symptoms worsen.

So, i am 21 and added peter on facebook and he added me back. my friends and i pretended we just thought we thought he was hott so we could maye get some more information. I said I saw him on Dr. Phil and he kind of laughed and said he thought that show was ridiculous. Anyone have any ideas on how to maybe non-chalantly get aome information out of him? he trusts us now and thinks we like him.....so we were hoping to try and get some details that either aren't releasing or what he has not said???
-Jessi
Gain his trust dont get to pushy !!!

I thought about doing the same thing, jesi... May I suggest not posting about it here?? It's very possible that he's reading WS.

Unrelated, but, I wonder what convinced LE that BD wasn't a runaway. Friends' testimony? B not taking any belongings with her?

I have been combing thru the various media reports about Brittanee's disappearance.

I have to say, it has left me aggravated. The actual police report states that the last time PB had contact with Brittanee was 8 pm and she left roughly 10 mins. later.

Brittanee sends text message to friend at 8:45pm saying she was on her way back.

Another article states she texted one friend at 9:15pm stating she was going to visit another friend at another hotel.

Then I find an article stating that she last contacted a family friend is also the last time the group of men last saw her as well. This would be John Hahn, I believe.
(First time I have noticed this, her contact with him during her trip)

The articles never mention when the last contact was with the group of girls, it just states "she sent a text to a friend" To me it just seems that more emphasis is put on the boys than the girls.

If Dawn was contacted by Brittanee's friends at 9:30pm that she had disappeared, then why is it that the police weren't sent to the hotel until 4:50am?

This is assuming she even started taking them. For all we know she refused to take them.

Syttende- I don't know about having multiple bottles, I think at age 17 if she was taking them the pills would be with her not some at moms and some at dads. I know when my friends son (divorced parents) transfers from home to home the meds go w/the kid rather than have them at each house.

Although all of these things are all options -we don't have proof of any of them, only that she didnt have her meds w/her in MB, unless she took something separate, but if she had a separate set, why would CD mention the ones at his house?

Kateyes brought up an interesting point: Why was Brittanee so insistent on going to Myrtle Beach, amidst her mother's protests? It could be Brittanee just wanted to rebel a little, maybe get revenge on her mother for some petty thing. That's what I assumed she did when I first heard about the case. I think what Kateyes said holds some water though - the idea that B wanted to go down there to meet someone (PB??? AS?) is plausible.

About the antidepressants: CD said that her pills were at his house, but surely BD had some with Dawn that she may have taken with her? I can't imagine that her prescription pills would only be with one parent. She probably had multiple bottles. If BD got ahold of any sort of recreational drug, mixed with her antidepressants, I imagine it could be a recipe for disaster.

Her boyfriend did say that she was having a hard time at home and with relationship problems of her own and he told her it'd be good for her to get away for a few days. Maybe she thought a trip away from home would make her feel better so she just left.

I mean we all hit times where we just want to get away for a little bit to clear our heads. It could have just innocently been that and it didn't matter who she went with, she might've just wanted out. She seems to have known AL longer than any of the other kids who BD might could talk to on a deeper level, AL might have knew she was having problems and needed a vacation so she probably is the one who invited her to come along.

I don't really think she killed herself because it's not like she could hide her body afterwards, I think she would have been found by now. I think she would have caved in by now and called someone if she had ran away...like I said in an earlier post, she was in the middle of texting her boyfriend and JH...if she was going to run away, I don't think she'd immediately stop texting in the middle of a couple text conversations to decide "this is the second I'm going to runaway & "disappear."" Unless she really thought all of this out and wanted it to seem like something had happened to her. But the more I think about it, I really think this is an abduction. :( It's so hard to tell though, just not enough information at all and there's so many ways this could have went.

About the final pings -- does anyone know about the terrain the ping on her cell phone was from? Was it swampy or wooded? Could it be that the final ping was her burial site?

From what I've read the pings were in the Georgetown/N. Santee River area. I looked at this area in Google Maps and it looks to me to be an area with sparse population & very wooded. I'm not from the area of course, so I might be wrong.

I've gone over some of the media reports but I haven't been able to clarify -- were there TWO pings recorded after the final text at 9:15 pm? If so, was the first one en route to the rural area (N. Santee River)?

If B were to run away I don't think she would relocate to a sparsely populated area like this, given her social tendencies & outgoing personality. She would probably have stayed in the local area.

Mother of missing teen to leave Myrtle Beach
Brittanee Drexel has been missing since April 25th.

Hide Caption
icon_more.gif

By Graeme Moore
Wednesday, June 24, 2009 at 5:37 p.m.

The mother of missing 17-year-old Brittanee Drexel left Myrtle Beach Wednesday to go back home. It's been two months since the teen disappeared from Ocean Boulevard.
Her daughter's disappearance turned Dawn Drexel's world into a nightmare two months ago. "You never think this is going to happen to you, but I'm living it right now," she said Wednesday.
After weeks of searching, Dawn Drexel says it's time to go. She has two other children, a house, and job back home. It's not easy, but it's her reality. "Not bringing my daughter home, and that's very difficult."
She says she'll call detectives with Myrtle Beach Police for daily updates. She received a final briefing from them before heading home.
Dawn's journey has been a long one. Her daughter disappeared on April 25th. In the days and weeks that followed, she kept busy passing out fliers, holding vigils, raising money, and watching searchers scour the woods near Georgetown where Brittanee's cell phone last gave a signal
Police were hesitant to speculate at first. But Wednesday, the lead investigator put his best theory forward. "Somebody took her. That's pretty much where we're standing now," said Detective Benny Dorio, Myrtle Beach Police.
The leads are still coming in, but most don't pan out. False sightings and dead-end leads wear on a woman who's stayed strong, only letting her guard down in private moments. Dawn said, "When you go home and relax, that's when it hits you."
Dawn's parents will stay on the Grand Strand a while longer. Wednesday, they said an emotional goodbye to her as she headed home.
Dawn may be leaving without her daughter, but does have some comfort. "They've covered a lot of ground, and I feel comfortable leaving knowing they're still out there searching for her."
Dawn also expressed her gratitude for everyone's unwavering support in our community, for all the donations, well wishes and prayers.
Police still asking for tips. You can call them anonymously at 843-918-1382.

So about the pings:

If a cell phone 'pings' does that mean it was used to either answer a call, receive a call or check voicemail? So, if no one used or tried to call Brittanee then there would be no ping, right? What if someone called her but she didn't answer - would they be able to track the ping that way?

A cell phone continuously "pings" while it is powered on, regardless of whether someone is taking a call, texting, etc. The phone has to acquire to a tower(s) so that when a call is made, there is not a delay in finding the nearest network.

Thanks for the info, nobull. I've been wondering the same things as gaia.

So the pings were issued when Brittanee received a call? Or perhaps her phone went out of service in the rural area she was in and the ping was her phone regaining service?

Could the cell phone ping if no one was using it? Are the pings a sign that Brittanee was still alive at that time or just that her cell phone was working? I don't think the reason/cause for the pings was ever given, just their existence, so maybe those aren't answer-able. I wonder if they're like the pings in Amber Dubois's disappearance (checking voicemail).

Oops - lots of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member