Found Deceased SC - Brittanee Drexel, 17, Myrtle Beach, 25 April 2009 - #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have they looked at the footage of her route in advance of her arriving at the hotel? It seems they only looked at footage after she left.

Newbie and a local posting here. I am down in Charleston, SC.
There really hasn't been any news since the sunglasses and the last I heard was they are being tested. I do not know about the Myrtle Beach area but I haven't really seen any billboards around Charleston.
Spring break will be here soon and I hope the media brings here story to the front page again. It would be horrible to lose another child during spring break.

I'm thinking that Myrtle Beach will not want to publicize this case around Springbreak because it could impact the tourist dollars.

True.......

$$$ is more important than a childs life. Ah, the world we live in......

How long should it take to "test" the glasses????

It varies quite a lot. If they're lucky, they might get usable DNA strands on the first try. More likely, though, they'll not find much, and they'll have to try several replicative techniques to get a sample large enough to get a comparison on. Since each process can take several days, it could easily be weeks or even months before they get anything useful.

And with something that's been out in the elements like the sunglasses, it's possible any DNA clinging to them is too weathered and broken to tell them anything meaningful. They've developed much better processes to recover usable DNA from broken and weathered traces, but it's still not perfect.

And that's not taking into account whether they're understaffed, have a backlog, have more urgent cases, etc.

Florence workers discover human remains

Florence City Police work to begin investigating the scene where a human skull was found under a bathtub as demolition crews with the city of Florence worked to tear down an abandoned building on Charles Street on January 29, 2010.
FLORENCE — City workers discovered human remains in an abandoned east Florence property Friday morning.

The remains were found about 11 a.m. by a Florence Community Services Division employees who were demolishing a residence at 520 S. Charles St., near Walnut Street, Florence Police Chief Anson Shells said.

The remains had apparently been there for some time, he said.

Florence County Deputy Coroner Don Reynolds said it is unclear if the remains are those of a man or woman.

Police investigators worked all day Friday excavating the property in an effort to locate any other clues.

Once all the remains are collected, they likely will be sent to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston for an autopsy, Reynolds said. DNA may be used to establish an identity.

Police are examining missing persons reports to see if one could be connected to the remains.

The property is owned by a Marion woman who gave the city written permission to remove the home and clean up the property, said Scotty Davis, Florence director of community services.

Police have received reports of crime activity at the address, Maj. Carlos Raines said.

That lots is one of 500 problematic properties the city has on a list to clean up, Davis said. Florence City Council designated $300,000 to the community services for the project.

Davis said 22 properties, including the one at 520 Charles St., has been bidded out for demolition by a contractor. So far, 14 lots have been cleared.

City workers conduct research before any work is done to ensure there are no liens or mortgages on the properties, Davis said.

http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local/pee_dee/article/human_remains_found_in_east_florence/100959/

Gosh there have been so many remains found this week.

ETA: Looking at mapquest, Florence is only about an hour and a half from Myrtle Beach.

Another case of human remains anyone know how far this is from Myrtle?

http://www.thesunnews.com/news/breaking_news/story/1290912.html

Kids playing in snow find human remains in N.C. city
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Some children playing in the snow found human remains, and police in North Carolina largest city are trying to determine what happened to the victim.

The Charlotte Observer reported that someone called Charlotte-MEcklenburg Police just before noon Saturday to report the skeletal remains, which were determined to be human.

The remains were found in the woods on the city's west side near Interstate 85.
Police weren't immediately able to determine the gender, race or age of the body and didn't immediately know how long it had been in the woods. They also aren't sure how the person died and classified the case as a death investigation. In addition to collecting evidence and photographing the scene, investigators were going through open missing-person cases

Wow! Can't wait for updates on these two people. Prayers for them, who ever they are.

Salem

Charlotte is about 3.5 - 4 hours from Myrtle Beach.

I did a google map (sorry don't know how to post it) it looked like this might be the path back to Rochester from Myrtle? Anyone know if that might be right.

Thanks

My best guess is that they would have been on I-95 - which would be closer to the coast and I-77 & I-85 run thru Charlotte. But I guess either of those routes would have taken them home.

I googled - Rochester, NY to Myrtle Beach, SC. Clicked on maps and these are the directions given

I-95 S
830 mi 14 hours 35 mins

I-79 S
924 mi 15 hours 31 mins

Rochester, NY

1. Head southeast on Plymouth Ave S toward W Broad St 0.2 mi
2. Turn right to merge onto I-490 E 3.5 mi
3. Take exit 21 to merge onto I-590 S 4.3 mi
4. Take the exit onto I-390 S toward Corning 70.0 mi
5. Continue onto NY-15 S 0.5 mi
6. Merge onto I-86 E 23.2 mi
7. Take the exit toward US-15 S 0.1 mi
8. Keep left at the fork to continue toward US-15 S and merge onto US-15 S
Entering Pennsylvania 74.8 mi
9. Continue onto I-180 E 28.3 mi
10. Continue onto PA-147 S/Susquehanna Trail 12.8 mi
11. Turn right at US-11 S/Water St
Continue to follow US-11 S 2.4 mi
12. Turn left at US-11 S/US-15 S 3.3 mi
13. Merge onto US-11 S/US-15 S via the ramp to Harrisburg 33.1 mi
14. Merge onto US-22 E/US-322 E via the ramp to Harrisburg
Continue to follow US-22 E 14.9 mi
15. Continue onto N Cameron St 2.0 mi
16. Turn left at Paxton St 0.2 mi
17. Turn right at S 13th St 302 ft
18. Turn right to merge onto I-83 S toward York 1.7 mi
19. Take the exit onto I-83 S toward I-76/York/Baltimore/Pennsylvana Turn Pike
Entering Maryland 65.6 mi
20. Continue onto I-695 W 15.6 mi
21. Take exit 11A-11B for I-95 N/I-95 S toward Baltimore/Washington 0.2 mi
22. Keep right at the fork to continue toward I-95 S and merge onto I-95 S 21.6 mi
23. Take exit 27 to merge onto I-495 W toward Silver Spring
Entering Virginia 29.7 mi
24. Take exit 57A toward VA-644 0.8 mi
25. Follow signs for I-95 S/Richmond and merge onto Henry G Shirley Memorial Hwy 0.6 mi
26. Merge onto I-95 S
Entering North Carolina 338 mi
27. Take the exit toward I-74 E 0.4 mi
28. Keep left at the fork to continue toward I-74 E 0.5 mi
29. Keep right at the fork to continue toward I-74 E and merge onto I-74 E 2.0 mi
30. Continue onto Andrew Jackson Hwy/US-74 E 22.6 mi
31. Take the exit toward Chadbourn 0.4 mi
32. Turn right at N Carolina 130 E/N Carolina 410 S/Joe Brown Hwy N
Continue to follow N Carolina 410 S 14.9 mi
33. Turn right at E 5th St 1.2 mi
34. Turn left at Hickman Rd
Entering South Carolina 0.9 mi
35. Continue onto US-701 S 4.9 mi
36. Turn left at Fox Bay Rd/State Rd S-26-570 1.7 mi
37. Turn right at S Carolina 66 S 0.5 mi
38. Slight left at S Carolina 9 BUS S 2.3 mi
39. Turn right at S Carolina 348 S 6.9 mi
40. Turn left at S Carolina 348 S/McNeil Chapel Rd 1.7 mi
41. Turn right at S Carolina 905 S 1.8 mi
42. Turn left to merge onto S Carolina 22 E toward Myrtle Beach/N Myrtle Beach 9.4 mi
43. Exit onto N Kings Hwy/US-17 S toward Myrtle Beach
Continue to follow N Kings Hwy 4.2 mi
44. Turn left at 76th Ave N 0.2 mi
45. Take the 2nd right onto N Ocean Blvd 1.9 mi
46. Turn left to stay on N Ocean Blvd 3.8 mi
47. Turn right at 4th Ave N 0.2 mi
48. Take the 3rd right onto US-17 BUS N 279 ft

Myrtle Beach, SC

My best guess is that they would have been on I-95 - which would be closer to the coast and I-77 & I-85 run thru Charlotte. But I guess either of those routes would have taken them home.

Many people traveling to inland areas of the Northeast prefer to take the inland route to avoid all the big east coast cities. It's also a better choice if there's a coastal storm. So it's entirely possible that would have been a choice.

Many people traveling to inland areas of the Northeast prefer to take the inland route to avoid all the big east coast cities. It's also a better choice if there's a coastal storm. So it's entirely possible that would have been a choice.

That's why I said "I guess" either of the routes would have taken them home.

I-95 is shorter by almost 100 miles than using the other route of coming thru Charlotte.

IMHO I don't think these kids were worried about any coastal storms, they just wanted to get to the beach and party...and the quickest way would have been the I-95 route.

There's several ways I can get to MB from my home in VA. I can take Rt. 460 to the coast and travel down. I can take Rt. 220 into NC. I can drive to I-77. Or I can drive cross state to catch I-95.

Rt. 220 is the quickest way for me and logically that's the way I would go. Was only presenting that I-95 would have been the most logical and quickest choice for these kids to get to and from MB. I didn't say it was the route they took. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

I wonder if the remains found in Charlotte might be Kyle.

That's why I said "I guess" either of the routes would have taken them home.

I-95 is shorter by almost 100 miles than using the other route of coming thru Charlotte.

IMHO I don't think these kids were worried about any coastal storms, they just wanted to get to the beach and party...and the quickest way would have been the I-95 route.

There's several ways I can get to MB from my home in VA. I can take Rt. 460 to the coast and travel down. I can take Rt. 220 into NC. I can drive to I-77. Or I can drive cross state to catch I-95.

Rt. 220 is the quickest way for me and logically that's the way I would go. Was only presenting that I-95 would have been the most logical and quickest choice for these kids to get to and from MB. I didn't say it was the route they took. Sorry if it seemed otherwise.

Sorry, yeah, I misread there -- I think we're on the same page.

Would the traffic have been bad since it was spring break? When we come back from our deerlease on holidays we will take the longer route to avoid the traffic. It's actually faster since the traffic is lighter. Would it be the same there?:waitasec:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc